◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,788 comments
Would it be blasphemy to consider something like building a building a Wordpress style blog/forum?

Wordpress has forum plugins that work really great, along with Google doc integration for looking up all of the information. Featured posts at the top etc...

Obviously not an easy task someone would need to maintain the site (or they do good with permissions multiple people can have control over certain parts)

as far as i could tell the combo was still being decided up until 8:15pm so i dont get why a response of "look through the pages of stuff" is the response.

Man....I really wanted to like that Fanatec, tired of using my folding table and that was a really good deal on a seat/wheel combo. that is what made me nervous reviews are pretty mixed as far as reliability goes, not something i am wanting to take a chance on when spending $400...
look at the Playseat and G27, got 2 years on mine and everything is still going!

Hey guys. Realy dialinng in on the gtr. Looks like 1:57s are indeed possible in it. I'm right now going absolutely deep with experimenting in it. Anybody else close to this revion of time?

Could not get past 2:01.6 =(...... UNTIL I JUST REALIZED I HAVEN'T DONE AN OIL CHANGE

You know what...with the amount of time spent linking and searching for posts, news, debates etc...SNAIL should have it's own Forum/website. Sooo much easier to manage and separate everything into sub forums etc. A basic forum template is all you need...there are really usually no more than 200-300 members that need to be supported. You could still have the GTP post here but just link it to your league website/forum.

You could have a "Pit Stop" area for general foolishness. An "Open Road" area for real life car talk. "Photography" area. And of course the "League Racing area". Heck you could even have a separate forum for each division if you really wanted to narrow it down.

Back in the days of GT1 we had a community similar to this with it's own BB Forum with separate areas like that. The community still exists (which I still talk to some of those guys...CudaMan, the first US GT Academy winner, is also one of the original members) but it has changed websites over the years.

I was searching, and some forum templates go from FREE to $60 or so. All you'd need is a domain and webhost. Once it's up and running your costs would be no more than $10 a month. My business photography site has unlimited storage and is only $9 a month. And traffic here is pretty minimal...so you could probably get one even cheaper.

We could have a random person of the month donate the $10 to keep the site up. I'll even volunteer for first watch.

Wordpress/blogger is free, highly recommend either, i have built many a random blog in the past...hosting from something like host gator is $10 ish a month. Super easy, unlimited plugins and it can easily support the bandwidth for Snail

I'm with bowler here.People already can't he bothered to check out the second post of this thread. You really think they will take the time to check out some other, harder to find post? Get real. The people who post crap like" what are the combos" obviously don't care to do the simple task of clicking one button and scrolling 2 inches. Hey sure as hell won't go looking for any "update post". I will just lead to more stupid, redundant, lazy ass questions, such as, "was the update post updated? What did it say?" In essence, you want to cater to those that want to be catered. Which won't work, since they don't want to put in the leg work in the first place.

I'm with bowler here.People already can't he bothered to check out the second post of this thread. You really think they will take the time to check out some other, harder to find post? Get real. The people who post crap like" what are the combos" obviously don't care to do the simple task of clicking one button and scrolling 2 inches. Hey sure as hell won't go looking for any "update post". I will just lead to more stupid, redundant, lazy ass questions, such as, "was the update post updated? What did it say?" In essence, you want to cater to those that want to be catered. Which won't work, since they don't want to put in the leg work in the first place.

but then we would not have the opportunity to use the fish slapping::crazy::eek:

Fish_Slapping_by_shaoron1.jpg

Wordpress/blogger is free, highly recommend either, i have built many a random blog in the past...hosting from something like host gator is $10 ish a month. Super easy, unlimited plugins and it can easily support the bandwidth for Snail
Is Wordpress/Blogger an actual forum? We need a forum like this one on a smaller scale.

I disagree. While there will certainly be people too lazy to search, I think it is made worse due to having 1 thread with 1600 pages and 50,000 posts. While things are all stated and linked in post#1, it ends up a well organized wall of text, but that's just how it has to be with everything located in that one post. Having everything in one thread makes it too easy to just scroll down to the bottom of the page, click the text box, type "what are the current combos" and click "post reply" and just check the last page. Having a forum with several threads and stickies forces people to think about what they are posting and where, and it also seems reasonable that while creating a new thread titled "what are the current combos" they will see the sticky thread titled "current combos". You can also set a notification before someone creates a new thread that says "IF YOU CREATE A THREAD ASKING WHAT THE CURRENT COMBOS ARE, YOU WILL BE BANNED/FISH SLAPPED" or whatever.

Additionally, everything located in a megathread makes any sort of discussion on a single topic extremely hard to follow. Even right now, people are sharing ideas for this stuff, but (made up example) someone that posted 45 minutes ago asking about technique for combo2 now has their post buried and unlikely to be responded to.

You know what...with the amount of time spent linking and searching for posts, news, debates etc...SNAIL should have it's own Forum/website. Sooo much easier to manage and separate everything into sub forums etc. A basic forum template is all you need...there are really usually no more than 200-300 members that need to be supported. You could still have the GTP post here but just link it to your league website/forum.

You could have a "Pit Stop" area for general foolishness. An "Open Road" area for real life car talk. "Photography" area. And of course the "League Racing area". Heck you could even have a separate forum for each division if you really wanted to narrow it down.

Back in the days of GT1 we had a community similar to this with it's own BB Forum with separate areas like that. The community still exists (which I still talk to some of those guys...CudaMan, the first US GT Academy winner, is also one of the original members) but it has changed websites over the years.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since the above website has already been "registered", the powers that be are already thinking long term. At the moment it just links to the first post of this thread but you never know...:)

I don't think a separate forum will help unless it is within GT Planet. You have to stay within a place that people visit anyway if you want to keep participation high.
I agree. It should be a subforum within GTP. I can also see if the admins of GTP would not be in favor of this because then soon enough, all racing leagues, no matter the size, will want their own subforums as well.

I think a separate forum would give us a greater sense of community and unity. Keep the GTP thread but just have a link to the Snail community forum.

The Pit Stop area on our old forum was a great place for everyone to let their hair down and talk about real world things and learn about each other.

I agree. It should be a subforum within GTP. I can also see if the admins of GTP would not be in favor of this because then soon enough, all racing leagues, no matter the size, will want their own subforums as well.
I think it is in their best interest to boost page loads and eliminate a thread with 50,000+ posts (long threads stress the performance of database servers and cannot be archived.)

I was talking about improving the forum experience for SNAIL racers. I personally have a number of bookmarks tracking various key posts within SNAIL. Every one of us should at very least bookmark the first post, combo list, OLR, and driver list. The news section could simply help everyone catch up on any key developments from the day, like someone requesting help, a new contest being launched, someone puts a book up for SNAIL auction, division needing to recommend combos, crushing post of the day etc.

Asking if the update post had been updated could still result in fish slapping. It's win-win.

I think the forum should be used for discussions, and use a web based platform for information. I have posted in here somewhere a simple layout of a website that could be complimentary to the forum, but more user friendly.

I will tell you, being a member of a small forum gives you a greater sense of community. We all came to know each other so well, that even after I stopped playing GT2 when the PS2 came out, I still talk to some of those guys to this day.

Being a member of a forum like GTP just makes me feel like a number. No one outside of this tiny area knows me. Not at all like Cheers :)

I do like the idea of a dedicated site, for a few reasons -- but only as a supplement to what we have here at GTP. I could only guess at the numbers, but a large number of us, including me, only found SNAIL because of its very active presence here. If it were off on its own website somewhere, I never would have found it.

And @JLBowler is right. 99% of the problem we're trying to address is people asking questions that were answered less than 2 pages ago, or on post 2. If people can't be bothered to look at the first and second post, they certainly aren't going to be bothered to do anything at all to look it up for themselves, let alone navigate to a completely separate site -- no matter how much better it is. I feel myself about to go on a rant about today's youth and a sense of entitlement so big it has its own moon, so I'll wrap up this train of thought. Consider this though: the league is made up of over 50% new recruits. Some of this is just growing pains, and will calm down over the next few months on its own.

Back