◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,772 comments
After doing some research about iRacing, I discovered I'd already played a couple of their titles, way back when it was called Indy Car Racing and published by Papyrus. I'd have to rebuild my current workstation or build an entirely new box to play. I'll have to pass at this time. Same with Assetto Corsa.

March 9, 2014 lineup
banners by @LoganMichael

ROUND ONE
Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution ll '91
(???HP / PP ???) (Sports Hard tires)
at Nürburgring GP/F (? laps)

10005982_10152679837614278_1458888102_o.jpg

photo by @shmibal_GT

ROUND TWO
Renault Sport Megane Trophy Base Model '11
(377HP / PP 518) (Racing Hard tires)
at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (4 laps)

1523644_10152679837629278_1177409832_o.jpg

photo by ???

ROUND THREE
Red Bull X2014 Junior
(???HP / PP ???) (Racing Medium tires)
at Twin Ring Motegi Road Course (? laps)

1799053_10152679837619278_924447350_o.jpg

photo by @RobbiefromBC
These banners are STUNNING!!!:drool: I really like the Nurburgring one!;):D

After doing some research about iRacing, I discovered I'd already played a couple of their titles, way back when it was called Indy Car Racing and published by Papyrus. I'd have to rebuild my current workstation or build an entirely new box to play. I'll have to pass at this time. Same with Assetto Corsa.

If you can play AC, why would you have to rebuild to play iRacing?

You probably have the brake balance adjusted. For some reason it won't let me adjust bb and still get on track

I think the bug in the redbull JR car is that if you even look at the settings, its registering as a change.

To be safe, I bought a fresh car, oil changed, bought tires the old fashion way (tuning shop main menu) and was allowed to race. All my other attempts included me looking at the settings pages, but only changing BB or not changing anything.

Swapping between A/B/C setups seems to be ok, but if you actually expand any of the setup groups on the right, that settings page is hosed.

My bet is a rounding issue in the settings. For example, say stock rear spring rate is set to 25.556. You open up suspension settings, it rounds to 25.56, and boom counts as a tuning change.

Speaking of this, I was under the impression that every Monday night the system was updated? I did notice that I wasn't booted off this past Monday night.

"At the following time we will perform the scheduled maintenance on the servers for Gran Turismo 6:

Every Monday, 23:00 - Tuesday 01:00 EST

Please be aware that while maintenance is being carried out, the online service may be unstable and you may experience difficulty connecting.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*Please note that the maintenance time may be subject to change."

The new notice is for Maintenance from 12:00am to 2:00am EST Oct 10th. Hopefully that means something.

Interested in anything that will let us focus on cars/tracks/racing instead of hoping we don't get disconnected AGAIN
Owens - any problems with iRacing that you've seen so far?
The only problem I've really seen with iRacing is a combination of netcode and their safety rating system. High speed side by side through turns can get you contact penalties with your opponents car apparently feet away from you.

Other than that, its pretty solid from a stability standpoint as it should be for the price. The only other issue is its 60hz FFB update speed, but that's only a major problem with very high end FFB wheels. There's a lot of good feedback, but there can be some slightly noticable lag - unlike rFactor and AC with 200hz + FFB updates. You get a sense that the FFB is giving you good information, but it would have been much more useful if you got it a few fractions of a second earlier.

S.N.A.I.L. iRacing League Interest Check

@kcheeb
@OwensRacing
@Handlebar

I'd be interested in a fixed setup league, have almost every car and track. The main reason I don't race iRacing much anymore is the amount of time needed on setup work to be competitive at the top levels. In the lower class cars, you'll see lots of setup sharing on the forums, but it dries up in the premier series and you'll see that the most successful drivers are on teams with dedicated setup gurus.

The only problem I've really seen with iRacing is a combination of netcode and their safety rating system. High speed side by side through turns can get you contact penalties with your opponents car apparently feet away from you.

Other than that, its pretty solid from a stability standpoint as it should be for the price. The only other issue is its 60hz FFB update speed, but that's only a major problem with very high end FFB wheels. There's a lot of good feedback, but there can be some slightly noticable lag - unlike rFactor and AC with 200hz + FFB updates. You get a sense that the FFB is giving you good information, but it would have been much more useful if you got it a few fractions of a second earlier.

I'd be interested in a fixed setup league, have almost every car and track. The main reason I don't race iRacing much anymore is the amount of time needed on setup work to be competitive at the top levels. In the lower class cars, you'll see lots of setup sharing on the forums, but it dries up in the premier series and you'll see that the most successful drivers are on teams with dedicated setup gurus.
I guess SNAIL will have to come up with a tuner as well! I'm alright at tuning, though I wouldn't call myself a guru.

it seems that the F1 side has some fast FWD ... unless the cars are going 3 times the speed of the GT cars. :boggled:
I don't think so, watch the people. There's a guy along the fence that moves his arm on the F1 side. It doesn't look like it is in fast forward.

S.N.A.I.L. iRacing League Interest Check

@kcheeb
@OwensRacing
@Handlebar
@dabneyd
@Rallywagon
@fizzer
@TEX36

I just want to be clear here, I'm not trying to get S.N.A.I.L.s to migrate to iRacing.

S.N.A.I.L. Racing will not be abandoning the Gran Turismo series, full stop. I've just grown disenchanted with GT6 specifically and want something that is more stable when racing online, which is where I spend 99% of my time racing.

Alternatives right 👍

Rally, we need a good game of Cat&Mouse! have not played that in a while... are you up to set one up tonight?
Unfortunately, I can not. My ps3 laser gave up the ghost Wednesday night. Hence the interest in iRacing.

I imagine Owens and Dabney both are well established as tuners in iRacing. I'm having trouble with the whole subscription based thing. The problem with it is, paying a subscription for such entertainment makes it feel like you're at an all you can eat buffet, where you pig out extraordinarily, just so you feel you got your money's worth. That and the price of additional cars and tracks seems a bit high for my level of driving skill and interest. I suspect it's that way on purpose, as is the progression logarithm.

Announcing the March Lineup for S.N.A.I.L. SPEC Racing

The March Tab of the Results Document has been updated with driver movement for the month of March.

Thanks to @JLBowler for doing the lions share of Promotion and Relegation.
@Oshawa-Joe will have the Drivers List updated at his earliest convenience.
@ExoSphere64 will make sure our rooms run like clockwork next week. With the movement this month Team S.N.A.I.L. needs you :D

To all the S.N.A.I.L.s that drive week after week, Thank You! Look at all the One and Two Year trophies on our drivers list :D

There's no clear cut formula for getting promoted or relegated. With January behind us and quite a bit more data at our fingertips, we're confident you'll be in much closer racing this month. As was said last month, if we've made a mistake placing anyone WE WILL ACT QUICKLY to rectify the issue 👍

We take into account a number of factors to determine candidates for promotion and relegation. Once we've identified the drivers, we analyze the data at our disposal and make sure the people being moved fit into the Division they're being moved to. Then we pull the trigger :dopey:

Some of the criteria for being ELIGIBLE to be moved are:

1. Points for the month
2. How many drivers are in each division.
3. Race pace
4. Individual Lap Times
5. How you compare to other racers in your division and the division you're a candidate for.
6. Number of times you've raced that month.
7. How cleanly you've raced this past month.

Why do we do this?

1. To get you involved in races you will be racing in, not just putting in laps.
2. To incent you to improve your driving and racecraft.
3. To give you something to strive for.
4. To make it possible for you to have fun playing GT6.
5. Give the servers a break.

We want you to be in good, close, clean racing 👍

If you have any questions or concerns about promotion or relegation, feel free to pm me or @JLBowler. We'd be more than happy to talk to you about it.

Cheers and good racing all!

kcheeb

Unfortunately, I can not. My ps3 laser gave up the ghost Wednesday night. Hence the interest in iRacing.
my ps3 stopped reading disks once as well. I missed your post to see your exact problem but all I had to do was open her up and clean off the lens. (thanks god it worked or Id have no system right now)

Back