◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,418 comments
I think we just need to move on take what stats we got and move on so it don't slow nothing down for snail and keep new cars and tracks moving along things happen and we just got to take what we can and move on

What's weird to me is that I don't get where along the line PD's server's affect us. On their website with the different types of hosting, it makes it seem like the connection is solely between the host's PS3 and the other drivers' PS3s. But then how do we see the list of available rooms? That has to be hosted somewhere. And if PD's server's fail, why would that affect our seemingly direct PS3 to PS3 connection? Unless it wasn't PD's servers, it was some ISP network switching failure or something...
That is because it is a name server type p2p. Basically, when you open the online portion of the game, you log into PDs servers. As you said, this is the shellbthay you find rooms to race. Everyone who's logged in is sending in a status to the server ( probably have several nodes actually) and it sends you info back. Easy enough. You find a room, press enter, then the server sends your connection to the peer(s) connected to the room. There was is the p2p aspect. But since the room still broadcasts over the server, its stability is dependent on the stability of the server. PD could work it out that a room doesn't crash if their servers go down, maybe they just didn't think about it. Or maybe its a big software fix that hasn't been thought a priority.

That is because it is a name server type p2p. Basically, when you open the online portion of the game, you log into PDs servers. As you said, this is the shellbthay you find rooms to race. Everyone who's logged in is sending in a status to the server ( probably have several nodes actually) and it sends you info back. Easy enough. You find a room, press enter, then the server sends your connection to the peer(s) connected to the room. There was is the p2p aspect. But since the room still broadcasts over the server, its stability is dependent on the stability of the server. PD could work it out that a room doesn't crash if their servers go down, maybe they just didn't think about it. Or maybe its a big software fix that hasn't been thought a priority.
What would be an optimal Internet speed at home. Just tested mine, running 5.05 dl & 1.19 up. Just curious.

I might be in a partly unique vantage point to notice this since I just upgraded my connection, but, It seemed that those who had problems in the past with connectivity (like me before I upgraded, and in my short time here I have noticed some other people having a pattern of connection problems), were the ones having more problems in the second part. I am sure no one wants to lose their connection, randomly or purposely, but once the room was up again, I did not lose connection and I did not have problems staying in the room during the last race. Maybe there was a little, well deserved, venting going on during this second part about the second part, but maybe it wasn't all due to the PD's supernova 'at that point' and so it might not be fair to totally want to throw out what went on during the second part. I COULD BE WRONG, IT's only my opinion.💡

Yeah, pretty sure you are wrong. I play online games all the time on the PC, on the PS3, we watch Netflix non-stop. My connection and PS3 are fine. It's PD's servers and software that are the issue. The default behavior for any sort of lag seems to be to just dump out. I'd rather see cars ghost if their ping drops, and if it persists kick them to the lobby and make some attempt to re-establish the connection before dumping them to the main menu.

They also obviously have issues synchronizing with your friend list too. Last night I couldn't find the hosts lobby until immediately after I sent him a PSN message. It happened twice. I messaged him that I couldn't see the lobby and instantly it appeared with several people already in it.

If there is an internet quality issue involved with their software and servers, it likely has little to do with the user having the issues and more to do with other users in the lobby. One bad apple spoils the bunch.

I want to thank @K1utch for all the help he gave me this last week, along with the others, @VrapPlus, @fizzer, @FloydC3, @Schmiggz, @Pifachu, @joe_diben, and others.

It was really cool while about 6 to 8 of us were kind of in a class at SPA with @K1utch, and a friend of one of the S.N.A.I.Ls came in the room, a decent driver, a little fiesty -- nice though-- until he finally reappeared with what I think was a ZZ11 Ferarri. I commented that there was no way he was going to be able to keep up with @K1utch, even with that car, which looked very ominous. Sure enough, after two laps, although I could see him gaining on the straights, as I anticipated, there was no way he was close to the cornering skill of @K1utch. It was very enjoyable to see it happen, especially with @K1utch's car weighed down with the six S.N.A.I.Ls that were riding along.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty sure you are wrong. I play online games all the time on the PC, on the PS3, we watch Netflix non-stop. My connection and PS3 are fine. It's PD's servers and software that are the issue. The default behavior for any sort of lag seems to be to just dump out. I'd rather see cars ghost if their ping drops, and if it persists kick them to the lobby and make some attempt to re-establish the connection before dumping them to the main menu.

They also obviously have issues synchronizing with your friend list too. Last night I couldn't find the hosts lobby until immediately after I sent him a PSN message. It happened twice. I messaged him that I couldn't see the lobby and instantly it appeared with several people already in it.

If there is an internet quality issue involved with their software and servers, it likely has little to do with the user having the issues and more to do with other users in the lobby. One bad apple spoils the bunch.

Good insight. Good points. There are a lot of elements to this situation. I am inclined to think that individual Internet connection is one of those elements because I experienced the difference 1st hand. I agree with you and think it is possible that your points would go much further to fix the situation than just the person's connection speed. We have more immediate control over our own connection. I hope PD listens to your good points.

Last edited:
Yep, it has little to nothing to do with internet connection at your PS3. I have ran constant pings to different servers and if I get disconnected from a race there are zero dropped packets or high latency to other servers. It's just an issue on PD's side.

I would like to join your league. I am currently a new guy racing with GTP WRS .My PSN and WRS call sign Nail-27 .name Ned .
@Rustic15,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Exactly what flatline said. The amount of data being transmitted is relatively small. Its the latency that is important. Hmmm. You know, we have been doing all sorts of ping tests, but has anyone pinged a PD server?

Exactly what flatline said. The amount of data being transmitted is relatively small. Its the latency that is important. Hmmm. You know, we have been doing all sorts of ping tests, but has anyone pinged a PD server?
I couldn't find addresses for them but I'm sure someone could figure that out

I don't totally understand it, but isn't this latency?: if the amount of round-trip time of a session, involving packets being sent both ways, is over the limit of what will cause a humanly noticable lag, or push the tcp-ip session (a two-way communication) into a compounding effect which then results in a melt-down -- increasingly worsening situation due to increasing number of error packets which means more overall packets -- then it has a latency problem. I thought a latency problem refers to the overall time being past tolerances, and is fundamentally determined by all the parts involved in the connection, both the end-nodes, and everything in-between, wired, wireless and equipment, servers, etc. So then latency still involves the person's Internet connection as well? And in this case involves multiple person's connections which would make each one more important than just one? I might have missed your point.

Last edited:
OFFICIAL RULING REGARDING LAST NIGHTS RACES

Last nights results will count and we will award prizes and replace combos as normal with some adjustments as to how the prize winners are selected this week.

For the purpose of awarding prizes, we will be using the adjusted points total that is usually used to determine prize winners. The change for this week is that we will divide that number by the number of races that driver's division completed. This will probably have to be done manually so I will get on that in the hopes it can be announced with the unofficial results.

If you raced last night and have not cast a vote for your least favorite combo, please do so in you division conversation.

We will allow voting to be done until 23:00 ET tonight. At that point all votes should be entered and all results should be entered in the directors document. At that point, or shortly after, I will go through the directors doc and do the math for the prize winners in the hopes of having them announced late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Edit: D7 needs to have the rest of the results entered for your last race. If you don't have full results for that race, you didn't finish it properly and you should delete all results from that race.

D8 DIRECTORS REPORT

At the beginning of the night we had trouble getting everyone in the room. Everyone got in and we started racing things went smoothly until round 2, race 2 when all except 2 snails were disconnected from the race. After that we couldn't keep a room open long enough to continue the night and everyone kinda just left. Good racing up until that point. Thanks to all the guys in d8 for your patience last night, maybe things will work better next week.

On another note, I was thinking, perhaps Sunday night is not the best time for league night. I can practice all week long with full rooms and NEVER experience a disconnect. Not exaggerating, never. But on Sunday night it seems to happen a lot. Maybe PD does maintenance on Sundays, I don't know. But it seems like the rest of the time I play online problem free.

Edit: D7 needs to have the rest of the results entered for your last race. If you don't have full results for that race, you didn't finish it properly and you should delete all results from that race.

Working on it Mr. @JLBowler.

Last nights results will count and we will award prizes and replace combos as normal with some adjustments as to how the prize winners are selected this week.

For the purpose of awarding prizes, we will be using the adjusted points total that is usually used to determine prize winners. The change for this week is that we will divide that number by the number of races that driver's division completed. This will probably have to be done manually so I will get on that in the hopes it can be announced with the unofficial results.

If you raced last night and have not cast a vote for your least favorite combo, please do so in you division conversation.

We will allow voting to be done until 23:00 ET tonight. At that point all votes should be entered and all results should be entered in the directors document. At that point, or shortly after, I will go through the directors doc and do the math for the prize winners in the hopes of having them announced late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I have the replay for that race. I have been trying to upload it to the URL provided by my division host. However, it keeps giving me an error saying I don't have the permissions required to access that folder on the Google Drive. I also have pics of the results taken at the end of the race.
Thanks for the link, I just uploaded the replay for Combo 3, Race 2. I did not see the replay for Combo 3, Race 1 in there. Would you like me to upload this one as well @BayouSimDrifter. The pics I posted are for Combo 3, race 1 and 2 respectively.

Last edited:
IMG_2557[1].JPG
IMG_2562[1].JPG

I have the replay for that race. I have been trying to upload it to the URL provided by my division host. However, it keeps giving me an error saying I don't have the permissions required to access that folder on the Google Drive. I also have pics of the results taken at the end of the race.

For those that don't have access to the Official replay Drive, here's a link to the Open Replay folder.

Back