Open ◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Presented by ButtKicker: Feel What You've Been Missing

Discussion in 'SNAIL Racing League' started by zer05ive, Dec 13, 2011.

1. FloydC3

FloydC3

I think we just need to move on take what stats we got and move on so it don't slow nothing down for snail and keep new cars and tracks moving along things happen and we just got to take what we can and move on

2. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

Hey @FloydC3, care to show me how it's done at SPA??

Neovre likes this.
  3. FloydC3

FloydC3

Gettin ready to head to work ill be able to do something wensday that's my next day off

4. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

Thanks, have a good day at work.

FloydC3 likes this.
  5. Rallywagon

Rallywagon Premium

That is because it is a name server type p2p. Basically, when you open the online portion of the game, you log into PDs servers. As you said, this is the shellbthay you find rooms to race. Everyone who's logged in is sending in a status to the server ( probably have several nodes actually) and it sends you info back. Easy enough. You find a room, press enter, then the server sends your connection to the peer(s) connected to the room. There was is the p2p aspect. But since the room still broadcasts over the server, its stability is dependent on the stability of the server. PD could work it out that a room doesn't crash if their servers go down, maybe they just didn't think about it. Or maybe its a big software fix that hasn't been thought a priority.

intoflatlines likes this.
  6. Aleks

Aleks

Pichon, my Prius C is not as fast as your Pagani, but it's just as impressive. MerlinRPM gave me a boost in his RedBull fan car. My ex-wife's Prius C did 168km/h in real life going downhill, it was aerodynamically limited :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. Sharkb8ii

Sharkb8ii

What would be an optimal Internet speed at home. Just tested mine, running 5.05 dl & 1.19 up. Just curious.

8. intoflatlines

intoflatlines

"Speed" (bandwidth) isn't really the issue, it's ping/latency that matters most, second to PD's goofy server stability.

9. chuyler1

chuyler1 Premium

Yeah, pretty sure you are wrong. I play online games all the time on the PC, on the PS3, we watch Netflix non-stop. My connection and PS3 are fine. It's PD's servers and software that are the issue. The default behavior for any sort of lag seems to be to just dump out. I'd rather see cars ghost if their ping drops, and if it persists kick them to the lobby and make some attempt to re-establish the connection before dumping them to the main menu.

They also obviously have issues synchronizing with your friend list too. Last night I couldn't find the hosts lobby until immediately after I sent him a PSN message. It happened twice. I messaged him that I couldn't see the lobby and instantly it appeared with several people already in it.

If there is an internet quality issue involved with their software and servers, it likely has little to do with the user having the issues and more to do with other users in the lobby. One bad apple spoils the bunch.

KTR5 likes this.
  10. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

I want to thank @K1utch for all the help he gave me this last week, along with the others, @VrapPlus, @fizzer, @FloydC3, @Schmiggz, @Pifachu, @joe_diben, and others.

It was really cool while about 6 to 8 of us were kind of in a class at SPA with @K1utch, and a friend of one of the S.N.A.I.Ls came in the room, a decent driver, a little fiesty -- nice though-- until he finally reappeared with what I think was a ZZ11 Ferarri. I commented that there was no way he was going to be able to keep up with @K1utch, even with that car, which looked very ominous. Sure enough, after two laps, although I could see him gaining on the straights, as I anticipated, there was no way he was close to the cornering skill of @K1utch. It was very enjoyable to see it happen, especially with @K1utch's car weighed down with the six S.N.A.I.Ls that were riding along.

11. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

Good insight. Good points. There are a lot of elements to this situation. I am inclined to think that individual Internet connection is one of those elements because I experienced the difference 1st hand. I agree with you and think it is possible that your points would go much further to fix the situation than just the person's connection speed. We have more immediate control over our own connection. I hope PD listens to your good points.

12. intoflatlines

intoflatlines

Yep, it has little to nothing to do with internet connection at your PS3. I have ran constant pings to different servers and if I get disconnected from a race there are zero dropped packets or high latency to other servers. It's just an issue on PD's side.

13. Skills

Skills Premium

@Rustic15,
    Thanks for your interest!
    We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
    Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :tup:

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
    To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

14. Rallywagon

Rallywagon Premium

Exactly what flatline said. The amount of data being transmitted is relatively small. Its the latency that is important. Hmmm. You know, we have been doing all sorts of ping tests, but has anyone pinged a PD server?

15. intoflatlines

intoflatlines

I couldn't find addresses for them but I'm sure someone could figure that out

16. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

I don't totally understand it, but isn't this latency?: if the amount of round-trip time of a session, involving packets being sent both ways, is over the limit of what will cause a humanly noticable lag, or push the tcp-ip session (a two-way communication) into a compounding effect which then results in a melt-down -- increasingly worsening situation due to increasing number of error packets which means more overall packets -- then it has a latency problem. I thought a latency problem refers to the overall time being past tolerances, and is fundamentally determined by all the parts involved in the connection, both the end-nodes, and everything in-between, wired, wireless and equipment, servers, etc. So then latency still involves the person's Internet connection as well? And in this case involves multiple person's connections which would make each one more important than just one? I might have missed your point.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  17. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

OFFICIAL RULING REGARDING LAST NIGHTS RACES

Last nights results will count and we will award prizes and replace combos as normal with some adjustments as to how the prize winners are selected this week.

For the purpose of awarding prizes, we will be using the adjusted points total that is usually used to determine prize winners. The change for this week is that we will divide that number by the number of races that driver's division completed. This will probably have to be done manually so I will get on that in the hopes it can be announced with the unofficial results.

If you raced last night and have not cast a vote for your least favorite combo, please do so in you division conversation.

We will allow voting to be done until 23:00 ET tonight. At that point all votes should be entered and all results should be entered in the directors document. At that point, or shortly after, I will go through the directors doc and do the math for the prize winners in the hopes of having them announced late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Edit: D7 needs to have the rest of the results entered for your last race. If you don't have full results for that race, you didn't finish it properly and you should delete all results from that race.

18. joe_diben

joe_diben

D8 DIRECTORS REPORT

At the beginning of the night we had trouble getting everyone in the room. Everyone got in and we started racing things went smoothly until round 2, race 2 when all except 2 snails were disconnected from the race. After that we couldn't keep a room open long enough to continue the night and everyone kinda just left. Good racing up until that point. Thanks to all the guys in d8 for your patience last night, maybe things will work better next week.

On another note, I was thinking, perhaps Sunday night is not the best time for league night. I can practice all week long with full rooms and NEVER experience a disconnect. Not exaggerating, never. But on Sunday night it seems to happen a lot. Maybe PD does maintenance on Sundays, I don't know. But it seems like the rest of the time I play online problem free.

19. CoachMK21

CoachMK21

Working on it Mr. @JLBowler.

20. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Thank you very much.

21. Daniel Pinho

Daniel Pinho

Division 4 Replays Uploaded.

22. diabolicwyvern

diabolicwyvern

Who shall I need to bribe so that a cyborg icon resides by name in the inactive drivers list?

23. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

I have the replay for that race. I have been trying to upload it to the URL provided by my division host. However, it keeps giving me an error saying I don't have the permissions required to access that folder on the Google Drive. I also have pics of the results taken at the end of the race.
    Thanks for the link, I just uploaded the replay for Combo 3, Race 2. I did not see the replay for Combo 3, Race 1 in there. Would you like me to upload this one as well @BayouSimDrifter. The pics I posted are for Combo 3, race 1 and 2 respectively.

24. gmraces

gmraces

Just a quick question. Are online racing times slower than practice times when not in a lobby? If so why?

25. rob1nh000d

rob1nh000d

IMG_2557[1].JPG IMG_2562[1].JPG

Schmiggz likes this.
  26. nmcp1

nmcp1

For those that don't have access to the Official replay Drive, here's a link to the Open Replay folder.

27. Daniel Pinho

Daniel Pinho

Yes, online race is about one second slower on a 2min lap on average. Why? PD has the answer!

shmibal_GT likes this.
  28. BayouSimDrifter

BayouSimDrifter

I'll be home in a little while who would be down for some races at ascari with me?

29. chuyler1

chuyler1 Premium

The answer is in the tire model. You can't turn on tire wear in offline practice mode. It messes with lap times and handling.

intoflatlines likes this.
  30. CoachMK21

CoachMK21

D7 data is as complete as I can get it at this point. All places and votes are entered at least.

BayouSimDrifter likes this.