◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,412 comments
I always wondered why this functionality was missing. My many thanks to you and @rob1nh000d for bringing that thread to my attention! :bowdown:

This was discussed here within the last 3 months, but when I tired to do it, the "start" button took over and I just went to the menu. I'll have to try it again.

Hey now. Ran consistent every week to get that second place. I don't think you should go off single nights but the months performance. Shows who is more consistent, also factors in penalties, thus promoting clean driving.

you mean to tell me that you are 2nd place in points now?

That is also another alternative. I guess we all need to vote on the preferred method.
It doesn't matter to me as I would not be racing. :irked:

Last edited:
you mean to tell me that you are 2nd place in points now?

That is also another alternative. I guess we all need to vote on the preferred method.

I took the top 2 scorers from the month of March from the results doc tab, 2014.03. I'd link it, but I'm on my phone.

EDIT:
I do like your method as well, but there would be more to trim as some divisions had more than 2 weekly champions, like we did in D7.

See above quoted posts on my method.

I wanted to highlight to everyone that to me it is incredible the pace that some of the lower divisions have; not only from the 'fast lap' times but in general as I have practiced with many of D4,5,6,7 racers.

It is awesome to see that the fastest lap time from D2 to D7 at Round 1 was less than 1.5 seconds. Round to less than 2.5 seconds and Round 3 was barely over 3 seconds.

Which brings me another idea. How about a 'Championship of Champions' where the champions of all Divisions get to battle it out for bragging rights, shells?

• The best 2 winners by points of each Division get to fill 16 slots on the grid.
  • May be lower as we may need to allocate at least 1 spot for the westies.
  • To Add to Oshawa.. yes my idea is to do it Monthly.
This is a freaking great idea! I like it!

It's a wee bit early for me to be able to process all this technical info, but as far as I've read about it the in game setting you're referring to (controller sensitivity) only changes steering input from a controller. I have read of people saying it changes the feel of an actual wheel but I've messed with it and not seen any difference. If you want to change the sensitivity of your steering wheel have a go at this thread here (assuming you have a g27 or dfgt)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g27-g25-dfgt-undocumented-wheel-lock-settings-guide.286646/

They also go into all the detail concerning your questions about degrees of rotation and other fun facts of that ilk.

I just read through the entire thread, thanks @deaconblues82 for the link. I still did not see much about sensitivity setting (one post). And I feel like I could definitely feel some difference even tho I use a wheel. Is this really just my imagination? I mean on -2 it did feel more sluggish, and on 7 it definitely felt sharper. Is there anybody out there who does change this setting in different situations? thanks again.

*Major Announcement - Please Read*

I was hoping to get a top of the page, but hopefully this announcement will not go unnoticed.

It is with great sadness that I, as of today, will be retiring from racing with S.N.A.I.L. Over the two years and a few months, I have met and raced alongside many great people. The joy I got racing here, has spurred me on in the creation of my own series under the S.N.A.I.L. banner, which has had a great run and will surely be missed by all those who have taken part in the many races over the near 2 years since we started. I want to thank everyone for all the great times I've had, and maybe someday I'll be back. For now I've decided to move on to create a new league that will hopefully rival S.N.A.I.L. Racing, the new league will be called E.S.C.A.R.G.O.T. [Spec] Racing.

If anyone is interested in joining me as charter members of the new league, please follow the link below for all the information you'll need to join.

E.S.C.A.R.G.O.T. [Spec] Racing

@rob1nh000d

@deaconblues82 has you heading down the right path. That entire thread changed my driving and made it feel much closer to natural, if for no other reason than removing the dead zone. If you are using a DFGT what is described in that thread and shown here may not work.

The Controller Sensitivity does nothing for wheels.

Steering ratios can vary by the car and are adjusted somewhat by the game software. The game software does not however, change the deadzone. At all. It will exist as it is, no matter what car you drive. For G27 and G25 users, that deadzone can be eliminated at the hardware level with the instructions in the first post.

You might consider using less force feedback and turning the power assist off. I run FFB at 4 on my G27 and ran it there when I was using a DFGT.

Thanks @Dragonwhisky, due to some very helpful fast drivers in practice sessions I had been told about reducing the FF about a week ago, and wow, that really helped my precision. And I had not turned on the power assist at all, although it seemed that one post in @deaconblues82 link above claimed that this was a good thing to have on.

This part is the same reply to @deaconblues82 post, however, it is my response to your post, @Dragonwhisky as well: I just read through the entire thread, thanks @deaconblues82 for the link. I still did not see much about sensitivity setting (one post). And I feel like I could definitely feel some difference even tho I use a wheel. Is this really just my imagination? I mean on -2 it did feel more sluggish, and on 7 it definitely felt sharper. Is there anybody out there who does change this setting in different situations?

I was hoping to get a top of the page, but hopefully this announcement will not go unnoticed.

It is with great sadness that I, as of today, will be retiring from racing with S.N.A.I.L. Over the two years and a few months, I have met and raced alongside many great people. The joy I got racing here, has spurred me on in the creation of my own series under the S.N.A.I.L. banner, which has had a great run and will surely be missed by all those who have taken part in the many races over the near 2 years since we started. I want to thank everyone for all the great times I've had, and maybe someday I'll be back. For now I've decided to move on to create a new league that will hopefully rival S.N.A.I.L. Racing, the new league will be called E.S.C.A.R.G.O.T. [Spec] Racing.

If anyone is interested in joining me as charter members of the new league, please follow the link below for all the information you'll need to join.

SIGN ME UP! Will you allow free reign of fish slaps?

Could be the following "unofficially" based on monthly point total. This list has 18 however due to listing 2 from the WC as well. Would need a way to trim 3 drivers to 15 plus 1 host/announcer/live broadcaster, etc

D1
@fizzer
@martin20az

D2
@ptslopoke
@chuyler1

D3
@Xradkins
@Troggy

D4
@Daniel Pinho
@CanuckleheadII

D5
@hooker4
@FloydC3

D6
@TEX36
@ExoSphere64

D7
@rob1nh000d
@singlepaddy

D8
@deaconblues82
@elsbury2

WC
@GranStand Bill
@Neovre

In the sake of simplicity, we could have D7 and D8 and WC only have 1 entry. That will make it 15 exactly.

Can everyone here tentatively confirm if you are able to race on Friday Night 9:30-10PM EST start time.

D1
@fizzer -- Confirmed
@martin20az -- Confirmed

D2
@ptslopoke -- Cannot Maket it :nervous: (2nd slot opens up)
@chuyler1

D3
@Xradkins
@Troggy -- Positively Uncertain

D4
@Daniel Pinho
@CanuckleheadII

D5
@hooker4 -- Cannot Make it :( (one slot opens up - Taken by Elsbury)
@FloydC3 -- Confirmed

D6
Tex36 -- Confirmed
ExoSphere64 -- Confirmed

D7
@rob1nh000d
@singlepaddy

D8
@deaconblues82-- Confirmed
@elsbury2 -- Confirmed

WC
@GranStand Bill
@Neovre

Last edited:

ROFL! Clever!

I just read through the entire thread, thanks @deaconblues82 for the link. I still did not see much about sensitivity setting (one post). And I feel like I could definitely feel some difference even tho I use a wheel. Is this really just my imagination? I mean on -2 it did feel more sluggish, and on 7 it definitely felt sharper. Is there anybody out there who does change this setting in different situations? thanks again.
What you're feeling is something probably akin to a placebo effect when adjusting that.It really has no effect on a wheel. As it all stands, the single most optimal thing you can do to improve your times is find the set up that you're most comfortable with and practice with it. A lot. Hitting your braking points and clipping your apex's is probably the easiest way to drastically improve lap times.

That is just too good! I'd totally forgot about that.

Last edited:
In the sake of simplicity, we could have D7 and D8 and WC only have 1 entry. That will make it 15 exactly.

Can everyone here tentatively confirm if you are able to race on Friday Night 9:30-10PM EST start time.

D6
@TEX36 - YES will clear the calendar
@ExoSphere64
quote]

What you're feeling is something probably akin to a placebo effect when adjusting that.It really has no effect on a wheel. As it all stands, the single most optimal thing you can do to improve your times is find the set up that you're most comfortable with and practice with it. A lot. Hitting your breaking points and clipping your apex's is probably the easiest way to drastically improve lap times.

Hey @deaconblues82, where is East moosecrotch? I can't find it anywhere? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place...

Absolutely yes. Without a doubt the O setting has allowed me to control the car in a much more precise fashion and mistakes that used to result in sea shell hunts or lawn mowing expeditions, have since become nothing more than brief squiggles in my line. Just getting rid of that dead zone in the wheel helped. Not having to hand over the wheel for tight turns like at monaco, to get the cars wheels to lock, is more than worth it for me. There is no way I will ever use a 900 degree wheel setting in any racing game.

If you read more in that thread there are other testimonials to changing that setting to something that feels better to you. Mileage may vary though.

It seems I have a bit more to say about this.

In our real cars there is steering lag. When you start to turn your steering wheel, the rod it's attached to turns a gear or tells the pump to start pumping. The time it takes for your input to hit the tires is the lag. The thing here is, if there are no failures, mechanically or hydraulically, that lag is a constant value. It won't change. You can account for it to be what it is and plan accordingly.

The internet however, is entirely variable. You move the steering wheel, that input is relayed to both processors, CPU/GPU, that data is then sent to the NIC and it sends it downwire, across however many hops (all of them having CPUs and NICs as well) there is to your opponent's NIC and then their CPU and GPUs have to process before it can be displayed on their screen what you've done. There is lag at every step and it is not always stable. The processing units heat up and this will slow them down. The internet will always be unstable and cannot be relied on to maintain anything close to consistency. To many variables in to many different hands. A 50 millisecond lag spike at the moment you begin your input is an almost unoticeable delay. But when that spike goes over 100ms, 500, 1000? That's when those events occur that leave everyone wondering, "WTF just happened?". If your ping rate can be measured above 100 to your own ISPs equipment, your inputs are already at a 1/10th of a second deficit. The O setting takes some of that lag and reduces it by reducing the time of the original input. Think about it. If you're using 900 degrees of rotation and it takes you 1000ms to get it there, I'm not sure I could go lock to lock with 900 in less than 1500ms, and you pull 300 degrees out of it...

There's 3/10ths+- right there. Not that it'll matter, if you get a 1500ms lag spike when you're doing it though.

Just some food, or fuel if you like, for thought.

Nice @Dragonwhisky, after much thought late last night, and today, and much reading, this is definitely one of the bottom lines of what really makes a difference. Could lag time also be affected by (still my FIRST question) steering sensitivity setting???

Nice @Dragonwhisky, after much thought late last night, and today, and much reading, this is definitely one of the bottom lines of what really makes a difference. Could lag time also be affected by (still my FIRST question) steering sensitivity setting???

and the temperature of the sun, lunar phase, humidity level, dust, mood, G/F, electro magnetic fields, dew point.....
and so on!

What you're feeling is something probably akin to a placebo effect when adjusting that.It really has no effect on a wheel. As it all stands, the single most optimal thing you can do to improve your times is find the set up that you're most comfortable with and practice with it. A lot. Hitting your braking points and clipping your apex's is probably the easiest way to drastically improve lap times.

Thanks @deaconblues82, and I know that a noobie and lowly driver like me should probably not dare to ask this, but could you go on Deep Forest with the Integra and run a couple of laps with the setting at -2, and then change it to like 6 or 7 and run a couple, and then tell me it is a placebo??

Thanks @deaconblues82, and I know that a noobie and lowly driver like me should probably not dare to ask this, but could you go on Deep Forest with the Integra and run a couple of laps with the setting at -2, and then change it to like 6 or 7 and run a couple, and then tell me it is a placebo??

tumblr_lwug5iglGW1qffwcwo1_500.png

Sure. Although I was once asking all the same questions you are right now and trying all those different settings with no effect, But who can say with PD, they have hot fixed it so it affects all steering input.

Wolfsatz

D1
@fizzer
@martin20az

D2
@ptslopoke
@chuyler1

D3
@Xradkins
@Troggy

D4
@Daniel Pinho
@CanuckleheadII

D5
@hooker4
@FloydC3

D6
@TEX36 -- Confirmed
@ExoSphere64

D7
@rob1nh000d
@singlepaddy

D8
@deaconblues82
@elsbury2

WC
@GranStand Bill
@Neovre
Wouldnt be able to attend on friday nights due to my work schedule

With a DS3 maybe. There has been nothing I've read or experienced in 2 years that indicates that setting affects anything other than a DS3 controller. When I first started with a DFGT that setting was at it's default value. I was horrible, as one or more of the SNAILs that were there in that PURE Integra series can attest. I spent that entire season fiddling with everything I could find to fiddle with. One of the first things I did was change that sensitivity to 7. It did nothing about my lap times. After fiddling with everything else, up to and including begging a GTAcademy Silverstone finalist for his tune, I came to the conclusion that I just sucked, bad. The only real, lasting way to cure that was seat time. While I haven't advanced to the level of some folks, my degree of suckage has decreased measurably.

Sure. Although I was once asking all the same questions you are right now and trying all those different settings with no effect, But who can say with PD, they have hot fixed it so it affects all steering input.

btw, i was at 900 degrees rotation when I thought I felt the difference. thanks again.

Back