◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,417 comments
And mine is, if it dont smoke the tires on launch, too much grip!

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."
- Mark Donohue

The Diablo was far and away the most fun car I've raced yet in snail. Door to door, nose to tail, 4 wheel drifts of awesome all around the track. Any combos I get to choose henceforth will include a 600PP MR race car.

I encourage anyone who didn't like that combo to practice driving those types of cars. Close racing on the limit in something like that will not only put hair on your chest, but it is a very entertaining and rewarding experience.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."
- Mark Donohue

The Diablo was far and away the most fun car I've raced yet in snail. Door to door, nose to tail, 4 wheel drifts of awesome all around the track. Any combos I get to choose henceforth will include a 600PP MR race car.

I encourage anyone who didn't like that combo to practice driving those types of cars. Close racing on the limit in something like that will not only put hair on your chest, but it is a very entertaining and rewarding experience.
Agreed. Even though I did poorly in both races, it was a LOT of fun to drive that car knowing/feeling that the slightest steering/throttle slip could send you spinning off.

I will go down as a dissenting voice to that opinion, and I wasn't there, admittedly. The higher PP and slipperier cars leads to closer and exciting racing only for a minority.

Look at the difference in finishing positions 1-10 across the divisions for the Lambo and then for the Fiat. Use mean, median, mode, whatever, but I will hazard a guess that the 'close racing' is not in the 600 PP powerband.

Your personal choice? Looks like. Close to the limit... As long as that includes the hedges, ditches, and subsequent reentry problems or accidents... Does not sound like close racing in my book. YMMV.

I like the high powered cars as I tend to do ok with them.

But for the league I would always recommend less powerful combos.

If you look at the history of all cars used you will find that 50% of cars raced with a PP over 500 tend to be one and done. As a PP range the average is a little under 2 weeks.

The cars in the PP range 450-500 last on average 3.34 weeks.

The cars in the PP range 400-450 last on average 2 weeks.

Just saying

I really thought the lambo was a ton of fun, and I did well in it (prior to my PS3 freezing anyways). I think it's good to have a high PP car in the mix every now and then. It really helps to learn throttle control and some of the wilder physics that go on at high speeds. I think the problem is that many people simply can't control a car like that well enough to race cleanly at pace. I say it doesn't hurt to push your limits every once in a while. If you're wrecking, slow down until you're in control If you're not on pace while you're in control, let that motivate you to practice.

The results of the contest are in and @goofytyler is the winner. @GumballCGT had a best lap time of 1:51.083. @goofytyler will be awarded 10 $hells. I'm also awarding @martin20az 5 $hells for being the fastest. Thanks to @hooker4 @aliengamer25 @Neovre @rmd2k1 and @Mirado_7 for taking part!

Awesome first time that i've won a contest. Guess that strategy worked well.

Let's lock it out with Snails!

I would love to see that happen been training hard would be awesome too get in using a ds3. I'm already planning to start running it the second it starts at 9pm AZ time for me. Good luck to everyone and LETS GET THAT SNAIL LOCKOUT!!!!

Awesome first time that i've won a contest. Guess that strategy worked well.

I would love to see that happen been training hard would be awesome too get in using a ds3. I'm already planning to start running it the second it starts at 9pm AZ time for me. Good luck to everyone and LETS GET THAT SNAIL LOCKOUT!!!!
If you are using a DS3 you really need to go get a wheel. Even if you make it to the first 32 (or whatever they do this year) if you do not have any experience with a wheel you will not have much chance.

Also be prepared to see some fast lap times as the aliens will come out in mass to show the rest of us what it truly means to be fast.

I think the closest racing occurs with the lowest PP but drivers get frustrated when they have no edge on the competition. I like higher PP cars in the mix as long as I am familiar with the track. I grew to like the Lambo but I just don't have enough laps at Silverstone to be competitive.

I think the most important thing to do is match the car to the track. The Fiat 500 was a little slow for Apricot but it worked OK. The Miata was perfect for Tsukuba. The Lambo was a little edgy for Silverstone. Fine for D1 drivers but too much for the lower divisions.

What is important is to be able race your opponents, not race yourself or the car. We login on Sunday nights to race wheel to wheel. We can do hot laps any other night of the week.

If you are using a DS3 you really need to go get a wheel. Even if you make it to the first 32 (or whatever they do this year) if you do not have any experience with a wheel you will not have much chance.

Also be prepared to see some fast lap times as the aliens will come out in mass to show the rest of us what it truly means to be fast.

I already planned on getting a wheel as i'll be getting mine tonight. its the ps3 wheel i've been looking at because its cheap enough for me to afford.

Great just lost my save data and my flash drive quit working last night. Man I got lots of things to do now before Thursday gets here. :banghead:

Forgot to post this 6 hours ago. All score keeping, data and votes are entered for D6.

D6 replays were also uploaded late last night. Great night with lots of close racing throughout the field. One of the few weeks where I didn't want to vote for any combo, all fun in their own ways.

Since I started hosting D4, I've used a public room and the only connection issues we've had was the blowup of the GT servers a while back. I feel that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It works very well and if everyone from d4 is ok with randoms coming in, can I keep it public?
I've experienced lag/connection issues all three weeks I've raced in D4. I never have disco issues anywhere else period (my bandwidth is unstoppable - minimum 10 up/25+ down and typically much higher), GT6 or otherwise, but have been disconnected three times from the D4 lounge.

During each race last night there was at least one, usually two, lag incidents where it would appear as though every other driver was wrecking, all spinning like tops in clouds of smoke. One of those ended up with me getting tagged by an imaginary wrecking car, causing me to lose my left front tire, 10 mph, and several thousand RPM on the back straight at Tsukuba. Another time I tail-ended someone after beaming forward 100 yards (if that was someone "real", apologies!). In two cases last night my lag incidents were simultaneous to some riff raff joining (undying_fetus was one I remembered).

This is what I was trying to say in chat last night that kept getting censored (no clue why "anyone else getting weird lag episodes?" would get censored). I would think, but am not certain, that having more folks in the lobby does affect bandwidth, even if they aren't racing.

Does anyone from d4 have the points data from last night? Floyd posted the points on the thread earlier and said his laptop died so he cant do it. If I knew how and or had the info I would do it. D4 seems to be the only division without the info entered.

Got back into town much later Sunday than I originally thought, hence why I was absent sunday.

For anyone interested, here is my karting video from Saturday night. I do say a naughty word when I get caught behind some dummy who didn't pay attention to what blue flags meant.

The track has a wall you can sign if you can run a sub 30 second lap. Starting around 3:15 I run at lap of 29.421!

Personally I agree that the slower PP cars make for better racing, but it's also frustrating because some folk haven't quite captured the idea of 'Single file = faster' mentality. Generally if I go to make a move, I try my hardest to get it done before the next corner so the leaders don't gap us too much. We didn't have that problem with the Diablo though. Mainly because I gaped the field by 5 seconds in race 1, and because race 2 had a spinner go around in the esses that caused a wicked pile up!

Does anyone from d4 have the points data from last night? Floyd posted the points on the thread earlier and said his laptop died so he cant do it. If I knew how and or had the info I would do it. D4 seems to be the only division without the info entered.

All of the data can be collected from the replays. Do you have all six races saved? Also you may need to PM @kcheeb for access to the appropriate docs. Let me know if you do or don't have your own copies of the replays and we can go from there.

I've experienced lag/connection issues all three weeks I've raced in D4. I never have disco issues anywhere else period (my bandwidth is unstoppable - minimum 10 up/25+ down and typically much higher), GT6 or otherwise, but have been disconnected three times from the D4 lounge.

During each race last night there was at least one, usually two, lag incidents where it would appear as though every other driver was wrecking, all spinning like tops in clouds of smoke. One of those ended up with me getting tagged by an imaginary wrecking car, causing me to lose my left front tire, 10 mph, and several thousand RPM on the back straight at Tsukuba. Another time I tail-ended someone after beaming forward 100 yards (if that was someone "real", apologies!). In two cases last night my lag incidents were simultaneous to some riff raff joining (undying_fetus was one I remembered).

This is what I was trying to say in chat last night that kept getting censored (no clue why "anyone else getting weird lag episodes?" would get censored). I would think, but am not certain, that having more folks in the lobby does affect bandwidth, even if they aren't racing.
If your connection is that good, please post speedtest.net and pingtest.net results, why aren't you the host?

All of the data can be collected from the replays. Do you have all six races saved? Also you may need to PM @kcheeb for access to the appropriate docs. Let me know if you do or don't have your own copies of the replays and we can go from there.
I dont even know where to start exo Im surprised im even smart enough to work this forum

I'd like to join if there's room 👍
@BTB9195,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Same here. I would like to join atleast for a race to see if the time is really good for me so I can race with you guys (because of all this summer daylight saving time, during one period of the year I'm 1 hour ahead of EST, then in another I'm 3 hours. :lol:)
@Michelin,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Yep it's official gt academy starts on the 21st
hopefully I'll make it to silverstone this time around:cheers:
Go for it DGAF... Damn boy you have the talent, the balance and the speed.

Oh boy, with all the respects for the person who choose it, I hated that Diablo with a passion. All my practice laps were disastrous and the race was no different. That thing doesn`t go with my average joe driving skills... just doesn`t. So glad it`s gone.

- Mark Donohue

im glad you liked my combo, somebody whos capable should post vid of d2's last race of the night, last corner. It was epic

Go for it DGAF... Damn boy you have the talent, the balance and the speed.

Oh boy, with all the respects for the person who choose it, I hated that Diablo with a passion. All my practice laps were disastrous and the race was no different. That thing doesn`t go with my average joe driving skills... just doesn`t. So glad it`s gone.

I'm totally of the opposite opinion; I really like the Diablo. Maybe because I got two wins with it! That does make me think though, it would be great if every week we could have a somewhat expected variety of cars. Something like starting the night with a low/mid HP street car, the second combo a mid/high powered street car, and finally a race car. I don't think we should set a rule to enforce this; I just think that it would be a good point to think about when choosing a combo for the week.

D3 data has been entered to the Results Doc for 4/13/14

Pole Lap Honors:
Round 1 (Abarth 500 @ Apricot Hill): @dabneyd 1:42.595
Round 2 (Mazda Roadster TC @ Tsukuba): @JoeW 57.804
Round 3 (Diablo GT-1 @ Silverstone GP): @dabneyd 1:58.067

Fast Lap honors:
Round 1 Race 1 : @JLBowler 1:41.600
Round 1 Race 2 : @Dragonwhisky 1:42.165

Round 2 Race 1 : @JoeW 57.816
Round 2 Race 2 : @JoeW 57.558

Round 3 Race 1 : @Dragonwhisky 1:58.413
Round 3 Race 2 : @JoeW 1:57.463

Total Times/Wins:
Round 1 Race 1 : @Wolfsatz 10:29.460
Round 1 Race 2 : @dabneyd 10:27.080

Round 2 Race 1 : @JoeW 10:44.271
Round 2 Race 2 : @JLBowler 10:45.961

Round 3 Race 1 : @dabneyd 9:59.640
Round 3 Race 2 : @dabneyd 10:01.881

It was a fun night in D3! We had a pretty small group of only 7 drivers, but there was still plenty of good racing. Only 2 points separated the unofficial winner of D3 @dabneyd from @Dragonwhisky. Combos 1 and 2 led to close racing, especially in Combo 1 Race 1, where the front 5 finishers crossed the line within 1 second!

Thanks to @nmcp1 for the nice layout!

I'm totally of the opposite opinion; I really like the Diablo. Maybe because I got two wins with it! That does make me think though, it would be great if every week we could have a somewhat expected variety of cars. Something like starting the night with a low/mid HP street car, the second combo a mid/high powered street car, and finally a race car. I don't think we should set a rule to enforce this; I just think that it would be a good point to think about when choosing a combo for the week.[/quo
The Diablo/ Silverstone combo has to stay!

Well I mean, I don't mind replacing the Diablo for a C6R Z06 or ZR1 :sly: YOU HEAR ME? PRIZE A WINNER?

as far as combo 1 goes, I don't mind staying with the Fiat, but Apricot is done and dusted for me.

Back