◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,772 comments
StewardsGoogle.png

The stewards are in need of the replays for Division 5. They can be uploaded here or here if you don't have access to the usual replay folders.

Thank you.

Typically if a post fills a page on my phone I skip it...unless it's from someone I know very well. If they can't grab my attention in the first couple of sentences then I'm out.

His numbers are right, but he had them listed on the wrong combos, which in turn caused him to put them in the wrong order, round 2 & 3 were the effected combos.
Ahh.. gotcha. Thanks for catching that.

R3served from phone. Pls be patient as I'm on the road
Sorry for the wasted TOTPP this morning. I tried to post the lineup, but realized after multiple attempts that the lineup post is apparently too large to be edited by phone (at least mine :ouch:).

April 27th, 2014 lineup
banners by @Troggy

ROUND ONE
Toyota 2000GT '67
(161HP / PP 379) (Sports Hard tires)
at Circuito di Roma
? laps (? minutes of qualifying)

photo by ???

ROUND TWO
Subaru BRZ GT300 Base Model '12
(~352HP / PP ~517) (Racing Hard tires)
at Grand Valley Speedway (Forward)

photo by ???

ROUND THREE
Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 Base Model '13
(617HP / PP 621) (Racing Medium tires)
at Indy Road Course[/URL]
dmim7B1.jpg

photo by @Wolfsatz

Coach, is the Lap of America race at Mid Ohio free to attend? I'm only like 45 minutes from the track and would love to swing by if its not too expensive.

Typically if a post fills a page on my phone I skip it...unless it's from someone I know very well. If they can't grab my attention in the first couple of sentences then I'm out.
Honestly the post was mostly for people like @rob1nh000d, who always has questions about car behavior and is always trying to learn and get better. If you didn't read it then I assume you understand the concept covered, but complaining that the post is TL:DR because it doesn't interest you, doesn't help the lower division guys get any better. If it's a problem I'll remove the post since it seems to be causing a lot of grief.
My apologies for trying to be helpful.

Coach, is the Lap of America race at Mid Ohio free to attend? I'm only like 45 minutes from the track and would love to swing by if its not too expensive.

Yea, it's free and you'll have access to all the cars and drivers. It's a really relaxed atmosphere. If you don't know the format, each car gets 2 runs. Each run has 1 "warm up" lap, stopping at the start line, then 2 hot laps, then 1 cool down. Many of the drivers use iRacing to learn the tracks ahead of time. In between the runs, you'll be able to check out the cars, talk to the drivers, etc. It's a good time for sure.

Last edited:
Honestly the post was mostly for people like @rob1nh000d, who always has questions about car behavior and is always trying to learn and get better. If you didn't read it then I assume you understand the concept covered, but
complaining that the post is TL:DR because it doesn't interest you, doesn't help the lower
division guys get any better. If it's a problem I'll remove the post since it seems to be causing a lot of grief.
Jeez relax. I don't care how long your post is. But if you want more readership then you may try to figure out how to condense to capture a larger audience.

Most people see that much text and just swipe their finger to the next post.

I'm sure it was informative...maybe consider breaking a very long post into a few smaller ones like a series.

I didn't, but after reading all the conditions, I decided against it. As an example, if you go past 6500 RPM, it's an automatic $1000 charge to your credit card. Pass 8k? An additional $1500 charge. Given that, it just wasn't worth the risk. The redline in a Gallardo is 8500, so it seemed a bit ridiculous to me.
Thanks! You just likely saved me a lot of money, as I would have glossed over the T&C and I strongly suspect I'd be powerless against the redline.

Jeez relax. I don't care how long your post is. But if you want more readership then you may try to figure out how to condense to capture a larger audience.

Most people see that much text and just swipe their finger to the next post.

I'm sure it was informative...maybe consider breaking a very long post into a few smaller ones like a series.
I'll try to see if there's a way I can do that without spamming the thread too much.

I didn't, but after reading all the conditions, I decided against it. As an example, if you go past 6500 RPM, it's an automatic $1000 charge to your credit card. Pass 8k? An additional $1500 charge. Given that, it just wasn't worth the risk. The redline in a Gallardo is 8500, so it seemed a bit ridiculous to me.
That's crazy! I did a similar experience at a local track (Autobahn Country Club) where I got to choose between a Gallardo, SLS, F430, V12 Vantage, and Continental GT (:crazy:) and they didn't have any of those conditions. Or if they did, they didn't warn us about it and also with a lack of data collection/telemetry I doubt they were tracking it either. It was fun!

Honestly the post was mostly for people like @rob1nh000d, who always has questions about car behavior and is always trying to learn and get better. If you didn't read it then I assume you understand the concept covered, but complaining that the post is TL:DR because it doesn't interest you, doesn't help the lower division guys get any better. If it's a problem I'll remove the post since it seems to be causing a lot of grief.

Thank you very much @VrapPlus. Just like racing is not easy work, studying what others know about it may not be easy work, as well. To stop driving and take the time to read an in depth coverage of an aspect of driving can have a very big payoff, that might always be a part of what put you on that higher driving level. Some of us might not have the money to go out and buy a book or two on racing, or even get to the point of actually doing it. And they say that people learn better when they are actually at the point of needing something specific. Responding to a series of questions that all point to a more in-depth post is following this paradigm exactly. Everyone has different knowledge and experience, so being very verbose increases the chance that you might have written something that they did not know and that they were prime to learn. I think it is all good, the more the better.

I can see the other side of the preference for shorter posts because it keeps it on the entertaining, easier level and is more like most posts usually are, and part of the intention of S.N.A.I.L. is to attract and keep racers. Shorter posts can be more attracting and fun. It makes it easier to see the interaction between people which is one of the great aspects of the new, unique, social phenomenon afforded by the Internet. But that includes all racers who come and it means that you will attract many different types of racers. So tolerance, on all levels, is a basic premise in an open membership group.

Longer posts are still a form of interaction between racers, even if it is harder to pick up on that. And, also, part of the attraction of S.N.A.I.L. is to learn how to be a better racer. And this requires, not only getting to race against other real racers, but also tapping into the knowledge and experience of other racers, and hopefully, sometimes better racers. One place to tap in are the practice/race rooms, and, obviously, the other is the forum. Longer posts occur less often than shorter posts because it is natural and automatic that it happens that way. Shorter posts are easier and quicker, so obviously they happen more frequently. Longer posts are harder and take more time to create, so they happen less frequently. But there is automatically more value (from the learning perspective) in something that takes more work, just like more value is found in doing the work of more seat time. So, imo, I think those that take the time to do more work in a longer post deserve credit and appreciation for that. Learning should always be supported and encouraged where ever it takes place and in what ever form. And teaching is just one side of learning especially since not only might the receiver learn, but usually the teacher sees the situation more clearly due to teaching. Supporting learning and growth all the way around is a basic premise and best practice in life and in any worthy pursuit, such as Racing.

If someone wants to automatically pass by a long post, they are free to do that, but if they see that it might be of interest to them, they might dig in and read it instead. No one can know what any other person will actually prefer to do in any specific situation. They only might know what they, themselves, might do in a certain type of situation. A writer should not try too much to anticipate what a reader might do, they need to have as their first goal writing what is their desire and passion to write. Following your heart and not trying to please others are usually the characteristics of something that is worthwhile and usually more helpful to others, whether it is easier or more pleasing to them or not. We race from the heart and we write about it from the heart. And some of us might want to teach from the heart. Do it how you want to do it, and the others ought to let everyone do it how they want to do it. We should be careful about infridging too much on where someone's heart leads them, and be ready to celebrate that it might have come from their heart, even if it comes out in a form that might be rough or a little uncomfortable for us. We all need to learn and grow. It's about what we are becoming, and the journey there.

The only exception to this is if someone is clearly doing something rude or hurtful.

Last edited:
To keep shorter my previous post, here is a separate post about what I have not gotten to yet, that I like to try to write about each week after racing on Sunday Nights.

I made two big mistakes in this week's formal racing that I want to share with others. It helps me to maybe not have as much of a chance to make the same mistakes again, and, it would be cool if maybe it helped someone else by chance.

First, I turned-in too aggressively going into the esses on Apricot Hill and ended up spinning out. I have been learning about not being overly aggressive in a race, and like I said in last week's mistake post, learning about not pushing myself or the car too hard in a race (or during qualifying). But in hind sight, I realize that I had specifically identified this with braking points and turn-in points (i.e. not moving my braking point up to try to get an advantage, and not moving my turn-in point up to get an advantage). Iow, basically not doing something I had not practiced with my braking point or my turn-in point just because I suddenly wanted so much more to be faster during an actual race. HOWEVER, I had not associated this concept with the aggressiveness of my driving arc. I tried to get a tighter turn-in to the first apex so that I would be positioned more to the right going into the second part of the esses, but as I was doing it, I immediately knew I had never tried or done this in practice, and to my horror, sure enough, I began skidding and to my painful disappointment found that my steering input was having no effect on the skid.

My second mistake, was pushing too hard when I was right behind another driver on Tsukuba. @KTR5 was in the lead and I was finding a slight amount of extra speed, probably due to the draft, in a couple of spots and I realized I started to have a conversation with myself about catching him vs. backing off a little and being safe. I completely forgot about the technique of allowing a gap and trying to capitalize on it. Anyway, I made the comment about how much fun I was having at the time pushing right up to Coach, running so close together, pushing it so hard. I did not realize that this was a recipe for disaster and was a slow, ticking time bomb. Sure enough, the almost inevitable happened, and I over pushed on a corner and went off. I had been feeling kind of discouraged with Tsukuba because it seemed so hard to distinguish myself on this track that relied so much on getting relatively small places on the track just right in such subtle ways. So when I found myself in second and gaining I suddenly felt elated and, evidently, failed to stay grounded in reality.

Now I know, when I am in a race and I am very close to someone for an extended time, even if it is extra tempting because passing them means being in first, and the ego is kicking in about how good I am because we are in the lead, I should equalize my self-inflated view of the high altitude of the situation, realizing the reality of its unique risks, compensate for the lack of oxygen to my brain giving me a false sense of invulnerability to the dangers of being on the edge, never throw care to the wind in the face of unexpected success and excitement, and remember, once again, in yet another type of situation to not over push myself and the car. Oh, ya, I also forgot to factor in the effects of draft. And, of course, I completely forgot about the fact that it would have been very good for my evening if I had settled for running in second (a consideration that had been given to me when the roles had been switched with the exact same driver in a previous race) until after this all went down and I ended up having two other mistakes in the race and ending up almost in last place. Basically, I had about four chances to come to my senses. Oh, hubris, how harsh is your bite.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the practice u helped me with

Not a problem, let me know when you wanna practice more, ill show you a few things. Official practice is tonight at 9:30 EST hope to see you there, I will be running a practice room before hand though probaly around 6:30 EST for anyone that wants to hot lap and race to get better aquainted.

Continued from the other post.

Under-Steer: Under-steer is related to the cars unwillingness to turn, front biased cars and 4wd cars suffer from this greatly, as well as some F/R cars.

-Causes: Taking into consideration what we already talked about, the underlying cause of under-steer is once again weight transfer, take 40-60 front wheel drive car, under acceleration the load moves to the rear once again causing the front tires to lose grip and reducing over all acceleration, under braking the opposite happens the bias becomes more pronounced and the nose of the car wants to keep going straight. Now, during turn in while braking the tendency of the nose wanting to go straight because of that weight transfer and because the rear tires are basically providing no input, the car ends up sliding wide and off the apex of the turn, now during acceleration the weight is transferred to the rear and the driving/turning wheels are left with reduced grip in the end the same thing happens the front axle is left to cope with both turning and transferring the power to the road. this creates a power struggle thus the car slides wide once again. The best way to counter act this is to use some tuning, and to use lift off over-steer to use the weight of the car to turn it in the direction desired.

Throttle control: Is your ability to use the throttle as required to maintain the most optimal weight balance of the car, and highest level of grip. Finding the balance between when to use full-3/4-1/2 or 0 throttle will help you become faster and improve your over all car control, knowing when to plow the pedal and when to be gentle is something that can't be taught in the practical sense. Its an instinct that must be honed by feeling what amount of engine power is appropriate for what situation. Advice can usually be given to an individual, but at the end of the day its up to their comfort level.

Brake control: Like throttle control, this makes you faster by allowing you to be more in control. Tapping, or slamming the brakes can have different effects on weight distribution. your goal should always be to brake before the turn, settle the car, accelerate out. braking early, letting the weight distribution settle back to natural, initiate your turn in and accelerating when clipping the apex, will not only improve your times, it will mitigate instances of both over and under-steer. like throttle control, it comes down to instinct and what works best for your and the situation.

Hope this helps anyone lol.

Apparently I need some kind of help I've been running it everyday and it seems like I can't get anywhere its frustrating me so much right now. I have listened to what everyone has said to me and I guess its not helping I only gained .2 seconds yet when I compare sector 1 with the top driver I'm faster than him so I need some kind of help because I know I can run up in the top but I'm stuck and can't find a solution.

Back