◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
What times were you getting?

I used Sports Hard tires on the BMW instead of the RM's, since most of us agreed it was likely in error.

Toyota: 2:06.0XX
BMW:2:18.1XX
BR-Z: 1:53.5XX

T

In an effort to assist @Wolfsatz set up this months Race of Champions, here is a list by division of the ranked drivers. PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU CAN OR CAN'T ATTEND

I'm 90% sure I'll be able to race, I just have to check that a poker tournament I'm in isn't scheduled for Friday.

As for my vote, I'll take the BMW M3 CSL @ Apricot Hill.

I used Sports Hard tires on the BMW instead of the RM's, since most of us agreed it was likely in error.

Toyota: 2:06.0XX
BMW:2:18.1XX
BR-Z: 1:53.5XX

I'm 90% sure I'll be able to race, I just have to check that a poker tournament I'm in isn't scheduled for Friday.

As for my vote, I'll take the BMW M3 CSL @ Apricot Hill.

You sure about that BMW time?

That's fair enough. Btw, you can still get pretty close to the action at Spa nowadays. I was there in 2002 and managed to get a few close ups like this one of Michael Schumacher at Bruxelles hairpin (pardon the quality, it's taken from a print):

Schumi_zpsa72f5e43.jpg

One for the Canucks!

Jacques_zpsa739fa3f.jpg

Your posts prompted me to look at some images from the 1968 GP and the illustrate how crazily unsafe motorsport was at the time.

Brian Redman's front suspension and brakes fail coming into Les Combes:

Brian-Redman-Cooper-Spa_zps2a7e6b24.jpg

His car crashes into and over a concrete barrier where it slams into parked cars!

brian_redman1_zps045c1a62.jpg

His car bursts into flames but, not to worry, there's a couple of lads in with extinguishers on hand. One of them continues to smoke to calm his nerves during the drama!

brian_redman2_zpsc8ab1846.jpg

Redman is dragged carefully from the car. He suffered from minor burns and compound fractures to his right arm. Meanwhile the firefighter heads off in the background still smoking away merrily.

redman_zpsfd8ae79d.jpg

The aftermath.

Last year Lewis Hamilton won the Belgian GP at an average speed of 137 mph. I see Bruce McLaren's average speed in 1968 was over 147 mph. Ah yes, men were men back then.
And the track was straighter and therefore much faster. It was neat to listen to them rush through Eau Rouge up the hill and listen to the wail getting fainter and fainter. Then you had a sip of wine, sliced some cheese, and talked until faintly, as they passed the far end at Stavelot, the wailing began to faintly be heard through the pines...increasing, increasing and then they came rushing into sight ,single file through the left handler before la source. Hard breaking, snaking, spinning, sliding, hard on the gas....down the pit straight past the Tribunes into Eau Rouge....gone again....

Races were a proper distance....200 miles or 2 hours whichever was shorter....no pit stops (except for Beltoise's Gloriously loud Matra v-12 which was too thirsty and had to pit for gas. !).... We only saw them 28 times at four minute intervals but it was the stuff of legends...if you screwed the pooch...most likely you spent weeks in hospital...or died.

Great picture of Redman....

Ha, I love all this! I actually met James Hunt the following year (1977). He was in Dublin to open a new Texaco petrol station less than 1/2 a mile down from my home. The place was mobbed so it was only a brief exchange of pleasantries.

Speaking of British crowds going wild at Brands Hatch, I was there in 1986 when Nigel Mansell won in the last F1 race held at that great track. Here's a post I put together on an Irish petrolhead's website with some of the photos I took that weekend.

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?9871-1986-F1-British-GP-Pics&p=170359#post170359
GREAT ! Added your link to my HUGE collection.....really good pix....I usually did the same...wandered with the camera.

Ha, I love all this! I actually met James Hunt the following year (1977). He was in Dublin to open a new Texaco petrol station less than 1/2 a mile down from my home. The place was mobbed so it was only a brief exchange of pleasantries.

Speaking of British crowds going wild at Brands Hatch, I was there in 1986 when Nigel Mansell won in the last F1 race held at that great track. Here's a post I put together on an Irish petrolhead's website with some of the photos I took that weekend.

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?9871-1986-F1-British-GP-Pics&p=170359#post170359

That was epic! Thanks for sharing @turnupdaheat !

One reason I picked this painting for my new Avatar was the color of Bruce's McLaren. In the beginning before wraps and real sponsors cars usually raced in either team color like Ferrarri Red or National Racing Colors, US was Dark Blue with White Stripe(s). The British had...you guessed it...British Racing Green. Bruce decided to tint all his fiberglass a particular hue of orange which for evermore was known as "McLaren Orange". And all his cars had a tiny Kiwi bird on them....usually near the cockpit.

To all Division 7 drivers. The Stewards are in need of the replays for your division. If you have them, please upload them ASAP. If you don't have access to the usual replay folder please try here or here, and post in the main thread here that you've done so.

Thank you.
I have race 1,2,3 and 5 saved. Hopefully that's enough for the stewards review. I'm not the re-play uploader so I don't have them all. I will upload what I have within the hour.

Race of Champions
April Season
May 2, 2014
9:30 pm ET

In an effort to assist @Wolfsatz set up this months Race of Champions, here is a list by division of the ranked drivers. PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU CAN OR CAN'T ATTEND

Format:
3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Starting position determined by division in reverse order (D8, D7, D6, etc). WC will be placed in appropriate starting position based on ability.
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid

15 races + 1 host (TBD)

Division 1
1- @martin20az (3)
2- @CarCzar (1)
alt7- @fizzer

Division 2
3- @RobbiefromBC (3)
4- @ParkerMO125
alt9- @serge19

Division 3
5- @dabneyd (3)
6- @Dragonwhisky (3)
alt5- @JoeW

Division 4
7- @hooker4
8- @Unleashed (3)
alt6- @FloydC3 (maybe)

Division 5
9- @Munch2487
10 - @TEX36 (7)
alt4- @Grandpa Money

Division 6
11- @Mirado_7 (3)
12- @ExoSphere64
alt8- @rob1nh000d

Division 7
13- @aliengamer25 (1)
alt3- @Nail-27

Division 8
14- @dcallnight (3)
alt1- @wvhellbilly
alt10- @Sharkb8ii

West Coast
15- @jpe138083
alt2- @Neovre

Confirmed drivers will be in bold
Scratched drivers will be crossed out

Alternate ranking determined by:
1- D7/D8/WC in order of points scored for the month (since only 1 entrant is guaranteed).
2- D1-D6 3rd place finishers in order of points scored for the month
3- D7/D8/WC 3rd place finishers in order of points scored for the month

COMBO Selection

2 of 3 combo's are set:

1- 2000 Mazda Roadster Touring Car at Tsukuba Circuit (3 weeks)

2- Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 Base Model '13 at Indy Road Course (2 weeks)

All non-alternates, please vote for one of the following combo's to complete the night. Each combo only raced once.

1- BMW M3 CSL '03 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward - 2 vote
---(this one was also raced on 3/30 - it makes sense this should be the top choice, but it's up to the voters)---

2- Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 at Deep Forest (one and done)

3- Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 '00 at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit (one and done) - 7 votes

4- Abarth 500 '09 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward

5- Toyota 2000GT '67 at Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward

6- Toyota 2000GT '67 at Circuito di Roma

7- Subaru BRZ GT300 Base Model '12 at Grand Valley Speedway (Forward) - 1 vote
---ACTIVE COMBO---

I'm sure I've missed something, so please ask if you have any questions!

I will continue update this post. Bookmark it to find it easily.

If I "Like" your post, I have recorded your decision and vote.
Not sure if you will need the 10th alternate, but I will be available just in case

Yeah, I put in a lot of practice yesterday.

Edit: Apparently I forgot that minutes matter. I was very confused up until I realised. I'll use being on mobile as an excuse...

Last edited:
Did a few laps in the 2002 At Eiger Nordwand, I still haven't quite got a handle on it yet. I think a sub 1:20 lap is in the works for me.

Before I did that, I took the 2000GT around Tokyo R246. It's another track I choose not to race at, but I will make an effort to put in more time this week.

Well once again I have made it to the race of champions. And it lools like for the second month in a row I will not be able to attend due to the fact that I work on friday nights. every night night of the week for that matter. Sure wish yall could move it to saturday. But oh well have fun.

Well once again I have made it to the race of champions. And it lools like for the second month in a row I will not be able to attend due to the fact that I work on friday nights. every night night of the week for that matter. Sure wish yall could move it to saturday. But oh well have fun.

Sorry to hear that @hooker4.

uploaded what i had, hopefully its enough to finish the stewards reports

I'll have to look when I get home. It might be a good idea for the Division 7 drivers to get together and get their TEAM SNAIL positions solidly determined. I think most of the other divisions have conversations setup with all the division mates included and use that to coordinate who's doing what, any particular week. In the case of replays not being available for the designated uploader, they can use that convo to let each other know when and where each replay has been uploaded, the designated uploader can pull them all together and get them all pushed up to the folders the stewards customarily use.

There are a bare minimum of 3 critical positions that need to be filled in every division. Those are the Host, the Scorekeeper and the Replay Uploader. Each of those should have at least one backup and preferably 2. As long as those 3 jobs are being handled in a timely fashion, the efforts for everything that follows can be done by personnel not directly in a particular division, that might be lacking in other areas of responsibility.

PRETTY PLEASE the rest of us non champions and almost champions want to watch the races. Please someone live stream or at least post replay immediately after each race.

I could livestream it but there could be a few problems.

1.) The room could be full by other people who want to watch it live.

2.) It could affect lag issues in the lobby and races. (Possibly, but I doubt we want to test that on something so cool.)

3.) Some other unforeseen technical/real life issue.

Seems appropriate.

Brings tears to my eyes. Just my opinion, but he seemed to absolutely follow the Spirit in his racing and in his compassion for others. Again, just my opinion, but by doing that, he seemed to bring that absolute shivering surrender to others to experience, and that's why they loved him. Wathcing him brought you to that higher level. To the point where the heart bursts...

I just had another thought. Maybe one of the reasons he could commit so completely in racing was because maybe always, or maybe at some point, he reached a place where he was doing it for others more than for himself. He was in a unique position to be one person who, by winning, could help many hungry and impoverished people.

Last edited:
In case you forgot, the GT Academy is still going. I've updated the DATABASE and included US place for the those in the top 3000 worldwide. As of right now, there are:

4 SNAILs in the top 250 in the world
7 in the top 30 in the US
15 in the top 1000 in the world

If you're not included in the DATABASE, please submit your time in this FORM

I'll have to look when I get home. It might be a good idea for the Division 7 drivers to get together and get their TEAM SNAIL positions solidly determined. I think most of the other divisions have conversations setup with all the division mates included and use that to coordinate who's doing what, any particular week. In the case of replays not being available for the designated uploader, they can use that convo to let each other know when and where each replay has been uploaded, the designated uploader can pull them all together and get them all pushed up to the folders the stewards customarily use.

There are a bare minimum of 3 critical positions that need to be filled in every division. Those are the Host, the Scorekeeper and the Replay Uploader. Each of those should have at least one backup and preferably 2. As long as those 3 jobs are being handled in a timely fashion, the efforts for everything that follows can be done by personnel not directly in a particular division, that might be lacking in other areas of responsibility.
agreed, as soon as relegation is finished for this month i will try and find volunteers to fill all positions, and backup positions.

Since we're sort of on the subject of replays, I would like to point out something. 90% of the stewards have a very narrow window for getting reviews done. In some cases, it's as narrow as 1-2 hours on the Tuesday following race day, whether prize candidates are involved or not. It is fairly important, if we're to get as many reviews as possible, to get all the replays uploaded no later than Monday night, so those stewards that have other obligations during the rest of the week, have an opportunity to contribute, and make reviews as fair as they can be. Delaying replays availability well into Wednesday puts quite a crimp in everyone's schedule and decreases the fairness factor of reviews.

GT RACECAMP LOBBY TONIGHT. ALL WHO WISH TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS EVENT PLEASE LIKE THIS COMMENT. LOBBY WILL BE OPENING TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. BE READY WITH CARS WITH OIL AND CHASSIS IF DESIRED. EXTENSIVE DETAIL AND TECHNIQUES EXPLAINED AS WELL AS ONLINE RACES. OTHER D1 DRIVERS WILL BE MAKING A SPECIAL APPEARANCE. RACE FAST. RACE HARD. RACE SNAIL

Back