◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
Gonna try to be there Sunday. Probably won't get much practice time. Been one heck of a week. Had the wife at the ER earlier in the week. Found out today she had a miscarriage so we will see.

Man what a blast AllenBerg was any one who is on the fence about going
Pull the trigger and sign up you won't regret it! I was the fastest person
Out of the group :P I surprised my self How we'll I did I have some gopro footage that
I will upload once the gopro finishes charging, are group for the day was 6 drivers including
Me all of them spun out beside me and another driver

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Gonna try to be there Sunday. Probably won't get much practice time. Been one heck of a week. Had the wife at the ER earlier in the week. Found out today she had a miscarriage so we will see.

So sorry to hear that! I hope she recovers quickly and everything is okay.

I would like to put in my 2 cents for the whole racecraft thing, I know some might think I race with a bit too much body contact sometimes but I also do think there is a certain number of people who would agree I use a bit of strategies(racecraft) rather than straightforward lining up side by side, take the inside line into a corner and complete the pass. I'll do things like a detailed breakdown of a lap to expose passing opportunities and how to plan an attack, how to defend and such for a certain combo, maybe one or all of the combos of that week. Maybe a Snail pit board note or something.

Of course it would be awesome to have guys from D1 or with a racing background like @martin20az and @hillracing to chip in/ back me up on what I lack on when I do post up some theories on the thread.

Above that, if @K1utch would have me take up the racecraft part of his practice room while he focuses on helping people with speed I am totally down for that as well.

Whoever is taking up the organizing part of this racecraft improving scheme, let me know how you guys would like to do it so we don't have too many brains trying to set things up.

Out of the group :P I surprised my self How we'll I did I have some gopro footage that
I will upload once the gopro finishes charging, are group for the day was 6 drivers including

View attachment 150786 View attachment 150787

View attachment 150789 View attachment 150790
That's awesome

I would like to put in my 2 cents for the whole racecraft thing, I know some might think I race with a bit too much body contact sometimes but I also do think there is a certain number of people who would agree I use a bit of strategies(racecraft) rather than straightforward lining up side by side, take the inside line into a corner and complete the pass. I'll do things like a detailed breakdown of a lap to expose passing opportunities and how to plan an attack, how to defend and such for a certain combo, maybe one or all of the combos of that week. Maybe a Snail pit board note or something.

Of course it would be awesome to have guys from D1 or with a racing background like @martin20az and @hillracing to chip in/ back me up on what I lack on when I do post up some theories on the thread.

Above that, if @K1utch would have me take up the racecraft part of his practice room while he focuses on helping people with speed I am totally down for that as well.

Whoever is taking up the organizing part of this racecraft improving scheme, let me know how you guys would like to do it so we don't have too many brains trying to set things up.
I'd love to help anyway I can. I'm still mid writing my post on passing technique. Life has just been way to busy for a while. Hopefully in a week or two I'll have time to put into finishing it up and maybe I can find the time to start a racing school for snails if there's interest.

stOFxqj.png

The April RoC event is upon us! For those of you that have qualified for this exciting event, Congratulations! Enjoy racing with SNAIL's creme of the top.

All event participants are expected to obey SOLR and observe good Racecraft and of course the "'Golden Rule' of motorsports: It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver, meaning the car that is attempting to execute the pass, to make sure that the pass is made cleanly and incident free."

For those of you invited to tonight's festivities please join:

1472 6118 4216 8215 2054

@martin20az yeah it was the best 700$ spent lol well worth the price
Got a full hour on track, next month I'm going back to race gtr they rent them out, I'm trying
To prep for gt academy don't want to waste my only shot!:eek: Lol

stOFxqj.png

The April RoC event is upon us! For those of you that have qualified for this exciting event, Congratulations! Enjoy racing with SNAIL's creme of the top.

All event participants are expected to obey SOLR and observe good Racecraft and of course the "'Golden Rule' of motorsports: It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver, meaning the car that is attempting to execute the pass, to make sure that the pass is made cleanly and incident free."

1472 6118 4216 8215 2054

Dang I hope I make it in the next RoC race!

Was someone streaming RoC? Sorry if this was already posted. Being at work makes browsing mass pages tough.

stOFxqj.png

1472 6118 4216 8215 2054

We won't be streaming LIVE, but since @dabneyd just had to back out, I am in the room. I will be recording the races on my video camera and uploading to youtube. I probably won't have all three races up until sometime tomorrow evening as I have to work a half day tomorrow, then go to my sons track meet after that.

I'll post links to races once I have them up.

We're still looking for a few drivers for tomorrow nights race, click the picture to get all the information.

S.N.A.I.L. [Enduro] Racing FIA WEC 2 Hours of Spa Francorchamps :

Sorry to hear that, I've been there myself. Tough pill to swallow, but things will get better. All the best to you both.

4 laps to go. @CarCzar leads @martin20az with @Neovre rounding out the podium. Still time for some movement.

1 lap to go and @martin20az is still right on @CarCzar's tail!

And @CarCzar takes race 1. @martin20az finishes 2nd and @Neovre in 3rd

Race 1 results
1- @CarCzar
2- @martin20az
3- @Neovre
4- @ParkerMO125
5- @Unleashed
6- @Nail-27
7- @Dragonwhisky
8- @ExoSphere64
9- @Mirado_7
10- @TEX36
11- @wvhellbilly
12- @dcallnight
13- @Munch2487
14- @aliengamer25

Results Link

Race 2

5 laps in and @Neovre finds himself in the lead, followed by @aliengamer25 with @martin20az closing the gap!

7 laps down. @Neovre has a small lead over @martin20az with @Unleashed in 3rd. @ParkerMO125 and @CarCzar are putting a lot of pressure on @Unleashed for the final podium spot.

And @martin20az to the lead! with 9 laps completed. 5 togo. @ParkerMO125 sitting in 3rd behind @Neovre

With 1 lap to go @martin20az has a decent lead over @Neovre, with @CarCzar in the final podium spot. A great battle for 4th between @Unleashed and @ParkerMO125 has been going on for a few laps.

Race 2 Results
1- @martin20az
2- @Neovre
3- @CarCzar
4- @ParkerMO125
5- @Unleashed
6- @Dragonwhisky
7- @aliengamer25
8- @TEX36
9- @ExoSphere64
10- @Mirado_7
11- @dcallnight
12- @Nail-27
13- @wvhellbilly

The LAMBO is next. Race about to start. 10 laps.

And not even halfway through lap 1 and @CarCzar has taken the lead. @Mirado_7 is 2nd and @Neovre in 3rd. @martin20az is in 6th with a lot of ground to make up.

After 3 laps, @CarCzar has a 6 second lead over @Neovre and 9 over @martin20az

After 6 laps, @CarCzar has an 8-second lead over @martin20az with @Dragonwhisky in 3rd.

With 1 laps to go, @CarCzar has a 6 second lead over @martin20az with @Neovre in 3rd.

And there is no change of places in the final lap, or final few laps for that matter. Full results to follow soon.

Race 3 Results
1- @CarCzar
2- @martin20az
3- @Neovre
4- @Dragonwhisky
5- @Mirado_7
6- @dcallnight
7- @Unleashed
8- @Nail-27
9- @ExoSphere64
10- @TEX36
11- @ParkerMO125
12- @wvhellbilly

FINAL SCORES:

1- @CarCzar - 92.1 - Gold - 2 | Bronze - 1
2- @martin20az - 92 - Gold - 1 | Silver - 2
3- @Neovre - 86 - Silver - 1 | Bronze - 2
4- @Unleashed - 70
5- @Dragonwhisky - 68
6- @ParkerMO125 - 64
7- @Mirado_7 - 54
8- @Nail-27 - 52
9- @ExoSphere64 - 50
10- @TEX36 - 46
11- @dcallnight - 44
12- @aliengamer25 - 34
13- @wvhellbilly - 30
14- @Munch2487 - 8

Last edited:
Tired of your ghetto rig, but most cockpit setups are financially out of your reach? Have I got the product for you!

dwpECKd.jpg

Introducing the GranStand! Created by a guy who first name is GranStand (fact*) thought that other cockpits weren't up to his standards, and just happened to have a bunch of 80/20 aluminum extrusion tubing lying around. He created a cockpit setup that not only was a cockpit, but can be used as a wheelstand as well.

Coming in at a somewhat inexpensive $425 (minus shipping of course), or if you take a masochistic stance on the money that belongs to you, $860 (even the loony types would just buy the while thing as a whole). At that price, anyone ranging from, say, me, to the ones that take it way to seriously and get a full race suit, gloves, shoes, and a helmet, just like the guy in the picture above!

Either way, when you have it all assembled and have everything set for you, you know it was worth every penny.

(Disclaimer, I am not a paid spokesman of GranStand, nor an I affiliated with GranStand in any way. I am simply a very satisfied customer.)

* = Not actually a fact, his first name is actually Bill.

I'll just leave this here, again. Basically they are the rules of engagement for online racing. We have to be a bit more strict in application for virtual racing for a few reasons. Basically it's to control the "animal inside" as @JoeW called it. In the real world drivers show a bit of restraint and control due to fear of crashing and the resulting expense/injury/death. Without these motivations for self control in the virtual world, it's important we follow the OLR and The GRG, and penalize the racers that don't. It's really that simple.

Corners and overtaking are always a big topic...

The S.N.A.I.L. OLR

07: Corner Rights:

A:
When approaching the turn/apex of turn, the car which "holds" the inner side of turn has entrance-advantage and other driver(s) must refrain from endangering him by his actions.

B:
You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

C:
If sufficient overlap is established before the turn-in point, then the behind driver has the right to sufficient side room. The ahead driver must also leave sufficient side room for the behind driver. This means that each driver has a right to their respective "line", or side of the track, right up to the exit point. Neither driver should squeeze the other toward the inside or outside of the corner during the apex or exit.

D:
The turn in point is the point at which the leading car begins their turn into the corner–this may vary from the point at which you turn into the corner.

E:
If an ahead driver has clearly made an error to warrant a passing move, a behind driver may attack their position, with due caution and care, regardless of whether there was any pre-existing overlap. However, the overtaking driver must still avoid contact. Small errors by the ahead driver may not necessarily justify a passing move. The ahead driver getting a bit out of shape at times doesn’t give you an automatic right to force a pass. You still have to pass safely and without undue contact.

F:
Drivers are expected to set buttons up for side views as "I didn't see you" is not an excuse if you collide with another driver when racing.

The Good Racecraft Guide

Defending & Attacking
An experienced racer will take whatever line he feels necessary into any given corner in order to defend & maintain his place, he is entitled to do so as he has track position over the pursuing driver, remember that the fastest line is not always the winning one. It is the other chaps job to force him into an error, whilst still driving cleanly of course, or wait for one to occur naturally & then take advantage of it, albeit in the proper fashion. An inexperienced racer will, in his endless optimism, tend to stuff it up the inside at every unavailable opportunity when trying to pass, imagining he is driving well but making far too much contact & causing many unnecessary incidents. Also, some lacking in good racecraft tend to drive right up to & into the driver in front, as they do not have the common sense to adjust their throttle & braking to account for following in the slipstream of another. You will notice that drivers who have good racecraft make very little contact when following & passing others on track.

The following is from another forum -ukgpl.com. Same message, with pictures.

Corner Rights

If you watch the odd few GPL drivers in action you might think the rule for corner rights goes something like, " Whatever piece of ground I can barge my way into I have the right to ". Well, ... not so. There is actually an etiquette for corner rights. It's not just for GPL, or racing sims, but is basically the same for every level of real-world motor racing - from Formula Ford to Formula 1 and everything in between. " What ! ", you say. " You mean I don't have the right to throw my car into any gap I see ? ". Actually no, you don't - and if you raced in any real-world competition the way you may race in GPL, instead of being hailed as a motor racing genius you may find yourself banned from even the lowest levels of the sport. Some of the everyday things you see in GPL simply aren't tolerated where real cars are damaged, real money is the cost of repair, and real lives are at risk.

In brief, the concept is, you must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before a corner's turn-in point to have the right for room to be left for you by the ahead driver. Substantial overlap means at least that the front of your car is up to say the driver's position in the ahead car - and that's at the very least. You probably should have more in many circumstances. The ahead driver has ever right to be fully committed to the racing line of his choice without any interference if there was no overlap before he turned in.

If sufficient overlap is established before the turn-in point, then the behind driver has the right to room. The ahead driver can still battle for the place of course but must do so from a wider-out position, leaving room for the behind driver.

You can see here why overlap established after the turn-in point isn't really valid and therefore isn't honored in car racing rules. Its actually false overlap that's created by the turning movements of the cars. Its not due to one being faster than the other or one out-braking the other. In positions 1, 2, and 3, below, you can see that the Lotus has no overlap at all if you consider the straight ahead direction - shown by the blue lines. But if you take a perpendicular from the attitude of the cars, shown by the red lines, there is some overlap at position 2 and substantial overlap at position 3. This overlap is entirely false of course as the Lotus here hasn't actually out-braked or out-sped the Eagle by any amount what-so-ever - as I hope you can see form this diagram. Unfortunately many drivers think that if they do this they are some kind of out-braking genius, when in fact they are not out-preforming the other driver at all. Its a geometric illusion that has nothing to do with a driver's ability or performance. If they could really out-brake the other, they would have made some overlap before the turn-in point, not after it.
corner_rights_002.gif

1 Before the turn-in point there's no overlap - therefore the Lotus has no right to room or to interfere with the Eagle's normal racing line in any way.

2 But, as often happens, the Lotus sees this empty zone along the inside and thinks they can zoom up into it, probably believing this to be the move of a talented racing genius.

3 Its possible to get apparent overlap after the turn-in point. The point is you shouldn't.

4 The Lotus may actually achieve their objective, forcing the Eagle out wide, who may actually not press the issue for the sake of not crashing - if they can.

5 But, if the Eagle doesn't back away, and holds their line, as they're entitled to do, this is what happens as often as not.
The issue is that the Eagle has the right to be fully committed to the racing line. In this case, the entire inside area ought to have been a no-go zone for the Lotus, who should have tucked in behind and followed the Eagle around. Of course, late braking barge drivers often end up in the hay bails, hopefully without taking you with them.

Last edited:
Just had my first RoC night. It was exhausting and exhilerating. My back is drenched from the concentration and pressure to fight at the top. Unfortunately, I am out of shape from not being on GT6 at all last week since I was sick and drove with an injured wrist today, but I still had a lot of fun.

Hopefully next month I'll be able to challenge for the overall win. Definitely need a wingman from WC @gmraces and @jpe138083 to counter the D1 team. If I do come back for RoC next month, hope we'll put on a better show for everyone next month who would be cheering for the underdogs against the crowned snailiens!!

roc_banner-png.149658

Race of Champions
April Season
May 2, 2014
9:30 pm ET

COMPLETE RESULTS

FINAL SCORES:

1- @CarCzar - 92.1 - Gold - 2 | Bronze - 1
2- @martin20az - 92 - Gold - 1 | Silver - 2
3- @Neovre - 86 - Silver - 1 | Bronze - 2
4- @Unleashed - 70
5- @Dragonwhisky - 68
6- @ParkerMO125 - 64
7- @Mirado_7 - 54
8- @Nail-27 - 52
9- @ExoSphere64 - 50
10- @TEX36 - 46
11- @dcallnight - 44
12- @aliengamer25 - 34
13- @wvhellbilly - 30
14- @Munch2487 - 8

Congratulations to @CarCzar for winning the April Race of Champions.

Race 1 results
1- @CarCzar
2- @martin20az
3- @Neovre
4- @ParkerMO125
5- @Unleashed
6- @Nail-27
7- @Dragonwhisky
8- @ExoSphere64
9- @Mirado_7
10- @TEX36
11- @wvhellbilly
12- @dcallnight
13- @Munch2487
14- @aliengamer25

Race 2 Results
1- @martin20az
2- @Neovre
3- @CarCzar
4- @ParkerMO125
5- @Unleashed
6- @Dragonwhisky
7- @aliengamer25
8- @TEX36
9- @ExoSphere64
10- @Mirado_7
11- @dcallnight
12- @Nail-27
13- @wvhellbilly

Race 3 Results
1- @CarCzar
2- @martin20az
3- @Neovre
4- @Dragonwhisky
5- @Mirado_7
6- @dcallnight
7- @Unleashed
8- @Nail-27
9- @ExoSphere64
10- @TEX36
11- @ParkerMO125
12- @wvhellbilly

View attachment 150786 View attachment 150787

View attachment 150789 View attachment 150790
Did that at Willow in 1973 at the Jim Russell Racing Drivers School....which predated Bondurant....and Skip Barber was still pedaling his F1 car. It was AWESOME and started my very amateur career. As a side note once on the track I never bought another sports car...they were no longer relevant. Good on ya for taking the plunge...life as you knew it IS OVER.

Back