Open ◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Presented by ButtKicker: Feel What You've Been Missing

Discussion in 'SNAIL Racing League' started by zer05ive, Dec 13, 2011.

1. USERID_77a23

USERID_77a23

After being disco I too have seen it where I can no longer see the room. What I do is is enter into one of the other online features(recently gtacademy) like the seasonals. I make sure that to go all the way to the track menu to make sure I've entered the online server. I back out and then go back to the lobby menu. Every time the room shows up. To do this takes no more than 90sec. I think of it like when they tell you to reset a modem some say to leave it off for fifteen sec. To make sure it's clear. Maybe when being disco and entering back immediately there hasnt been enough time to clear the errors. Don't know if any of this makes sense or helps...

Nail-27 and Handlebar like this.
  2. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

@BayouSimDrifter where do I find last night results? The results only show last week's not yesterdays

3. BayouSimDrifter

BayouSimDrifter

no idea bro i dont mess with that data stuff i only do the replays maybe @KTR5 can help you. but i dont think they have been transferred from the directors docs yet.

KTR5 likes this.
  4. Handlebar

Handlebar Premium

One division was having some difficulty recording scores. When the scorekeeper gets home from work, he'll take care of it this evening, then we can go through prelim places, data, etc.

SHOCKY_WELL likes this.
  5. RobbiefromBC

RobbiefromBC

Congrats to all of you that made it to Nationals! It's pretty hard to get a competitive time when you have 10% less turning radius than those that use a wheel... Oh well, I'm not old enough to make it anyways. (Even though some 16 y/o got to drive an LMP2 at LeMans this year!)

Nail-27 likes this.
  6. GGGMotorsport

GGGMotorsport

Hello fellow SNAILS

Wanted to let you all know that I have started up a new series for Wed Nights starting this week if anyone is interested called, you guessed it Wednesday Night “Race Car” Series. (how original, right?)

Series will feature stock purpose built race cars competing in 4 week seasons followed by an "All Star" race. Each night will feature two 40 min races (plus single qualifying session). We are kicking off the season next Wed if anyone is interested and will host an open lobby tonight in 30 mins for a shakedown run if anyone is interested.

Here is the link to the topic - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/%E2%97%86-s-n-a-i-l-wednesday-night-%E2%80%9Crace-car%E2%80%9D-series-season-starts-6-18.311225/

If you have any questions, please let me know and hope to see you there.

Thanks!

dcallnight, joe_diben and KTR5 like this.
  7. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

My source is straight out of the GT6 manual. It details the differences between fixed host and non-fixed host and specifically states that the friends only room setting only restricts who can join.

There are known workarounds for finding the room when it doesn't show up on the friends only search list. It doesn't take much time at all and they are listed in the host/driver policy post.

If PD's servers truly go wonky, it's not going to matter what kind of room you are in as they all use the same servers.
    That's not solid evidence. That's a description of one event that could have been caused by any number of things. How many times did every driver try and reset the listing of rooms? How much time was left between the creation of the room and drivers trying to enter it? Did every driver try searching by track? Was the room even set to the correct track? Would the same result have been reached by creating another friends only room instead of an open lobby?

fzappa and JoeW like this.
  8. fizzer

fizzer

I read that too, and clearly there is a large difference between fixed and unfixed room ownership. That doesn't mean however that there aren't other factors involved that differentiate friends only vs public rooms.

Yes and no. The friends list is handled by PSN servers. The PSN/PD multiplayer network is complex and many different servers and subsystems are involved. I'm doing some research to see if I can pinpoint the differences.

What is obvious though is that since friends lists are not maintained by PD, a friends only room will have an additional layer of complexity involved in order to support that functionality. What I will attempt to discover is what the true impacts of that additional complexity are and if they are significant in our cases.

More importantly, since multiple members seem to be unhappy with friends only, please justify why you would like to mandate friends only rooms.

If the host/members of a division decide among themselves that the benefits of a friends room are not worth the drawbacks/risks, they should be free to choose without penalty.

hooker4 and GTP_Compton3 like this.
  9. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

The host was dced from the room and could not find it or couldn't get back due to friends only.
    The host started another room. Everyone joined the the new room.friends only. Several of us couldn't see each other so I re started psn modem etc. When I tried to find the room I couldn't so the host started an open lobby room and everyone was fine then

10. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

We mandate friends only rooms because the issues that Handlebar mentioned a while back. Random guys coming in and screwing around in the room and causing issues. It's simply easier to block these people at the beginning of the night and not have to worry about it over the course of the night. Having the rooms friends only and the host on my friends list also allows me to monitor how full the rooms are leading up to a Sunday night (it would be nice if all the hosts and back up hosts would do this like I have asked multiple times). It also allows me to easily find the rooms leading up to a Sunday night to check settings and jump in and out of rooms if need be.

Drivers not being able to see each other has nothing to do with a room being friends only. It has to do with those two players internet connections not "talking" to each other effectively. It can be fixed by having both players leave the room and reset modem, clear cache, and usually entering in the reverse order they did the first time. It happens in open lobbies just as often as it happens in a friends only room.

USERID_77a23 likes this.
  11. fizzer

fizzer

Again, those issues are subjective and the hosts/drivers should decide if the benefit of not dealing with them is worth the issues of friends only rooms.

As for checking the rooms, all rooms with people on your friends list are filtered via the "Friend's rooms only" option regardless if they are "Friends Only" rooms or not. It is not a "Friend's friend only rooms only" checkbox, or am I missing something?

12. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Allright, you won't let it die and you have pushed me far enough that I'm going to have to throw someone under the bus. It's highly subjective if an open lobby will run better than a friends only room so let it go.

What isn't subjective is that D1 has a history of not getting rid of the random drivers and letting guys race who shouldn't be racing. If you really want to know why we mandate friends only you have no further to look than your division mates. If you wanted freedom to set it up however you wanted to then you should have been responsible when you had that option. D1 was not responsible enough to have freedoms so now we have a league wide policy.

I'm done discussing the issue especially with someone who contributed to the root of the problem.

aliengamer25 likes this.
  13. Sharkb8ii

Sharkb8ii

Results have been entered, data has not but will be by tomorrow night.

SHOCKY_WELL and BayouSimDrifter like this.
  14. USERID_77a23

USERID_77a23

Division hosts work for " the man" .. better just do what the man says

aliengamer25 likes this.
  15. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

Whooboy....and I thought I was getting into this. But actually I have an ancient Class C Motor home that has been sitting in the parking area built for it that has not been used for...well...until last month..not since 2007 when it aided in the move from Florida. Finally I got it out of its cocoon fumigated it...limped it over to a detailer (who was not amused) and used it a bit locally. I discovered that my FUBAR back did not like the anything but ergonomically designed "Captains Chair"...by the time I got wherever I was going I felt so bad that I wished I was racing with you guys at home. Bingo...sell the sucker..buy the cockpit I wanted, ditto the racing shoes, ditto wireless head set, etc etc. Camper goes tomorrow...how much did you say that "Pretty Wheel" was....

Yes it was like racing at Monza under the control of a MAD RACE STEWARD. In WRS we raced the Lotus 97 w/o penalties ( had to...there is no time to be politically correct with that glorious beast) and it has become my favorite track. But...I'll just pretend it is a different track..and IMHO it is a much better track to drive than the more ( note the more) Mickey mouse newer tracks.

On the subject of the D6 disaster last night. 3+30 to run 6 10 minute races. I think the point has been missed by most. We have a problem. Lets analyze it and fix it. I race in three Snail Series and this is the only one with a consistent (recurring) problem . Our problem in 6 is not DCs ....it is invisible drivers. We routinely have drivers who can not see each other and while some are repeat offenders others are not. I DO NOT claim to be an IT Boffin...I just drive the sucker. IF BIG BROTHER has a handle on this...why does this only happen on SNAIL Night and not in the other SNAIL events. Also I have NEVER encountered this problem in FGTA or WRS or another couple of series under the GTP Umbrella. We get the appropriate number of DISCOs there but have NEVER had the invisibility problem.

AND there is the problem....THERE IS NO APPROPRIATE NUMBER OF DCs.

joe_diben and KTR5 like this.
  16. Sharkb8ii

Sharkb8ii

I was having issues last night entering them, had to keep backing out of the spreadsheet and reenter to get the scores to be entered.

17. fizzer

fizzer

And as I stated in a prior post, that issue specifically was due to one misunderstanding and it hasn't happened since, nor would it again. Nevermind friends lists don't prevent that, I think all of us have non-snails on our friends lists.

I can learn from my mistakes and don't need blanket rules to make sure they don't happen against , apparently you don't think that's possible? Let me guess, you vote Democrat.

18. IceWarden

IceWarden

This seems like a pointless argument.

Resistance to this particular rule has no basis in fact. Words like "seems" and "sometimes" aren't solid evidence. This is the PSN...

The rule is in place for solid reasons. With no solid solid evidence to the contrary, just follow the guidelines.

I run DTC every Tuesday as Friends only with zero problems...ever. We run two solid hours, mics on, racing, drinking etc and never a problem. D3 also seems to run smoothly most of the time.

If randoms were allowed to join, start typing, talking etc those problems would increase exponentially.

19. IceWarden

IceWarden

So you vote what...Anarchy?

Who decides who is "responsible enough" to run the room outside of league rules? Does Vettel show up to races and say he's a perfectly responsible adult and should be allowed to skip tech inspection?

20. fizzer

fizzer

The DTC rooms I've been in (great fun BTW, more snails should join) are generally smaller. Smaller rooms seem to have less issues with it.

There's enough anecdotal evidence to suggest friends only are a hassle for many. And logically there is greater server dependcy to support friends only functionality.

As a guideline or suggestion, sure it makes sense. As a rule though? No, it doesn't. Hosts have a responsibility to provide the best room possible. The friends only option should be one in their toolkit to use as they see fit in order to live up to their responsibilities as the best use of it can be situational.

ETA: I vote libertarian. Rules are fine, and most of the snail regs make perfect sense. This one doesn't, it's known to cause problems, and hosts should have the freedom to choose what works best for them in this case. When you take freedom away, you reduce the need for personal responsibility. When you reduce that need, people by nature become more irresponsible, then you need more rules etc etc. You end up in a downward spiral until you are left with a bloated governmental structure laden with inefficiencies and serving only to reduce the quality of life of the very constituency that granted the governors the power to govern in the first place.

I digress, I've said my piece and I'm done with the conversations.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  21. CoachMK21

CoachMK21

Others have given the answers, but since I was tagged into this, the directors doc has the current scores. The results doc will be updated shortly. What does shortly mean? After D4 gets their scores and votes put in.

If you just want to know the D7 scores, here is what the directors doc has:

singlepaddy---------85
    JCsSoldier----------84
    SHOCKY_WELLHELL-74.1
    aeroliteflight-------74
    blueninjacivic------68

Nail-27 and SHOCKY_WELL like this.
  22. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

@KTR5 thanks man you are always on top of it.
    @JLBowler was not trying to say whether friends room or open lobby good or bad. Just saying if the host gets dced from friends room he can not get back in at all. That's all I was saying. ( I have an electronics degree and I understand why people can't see each other.) As long as I can race I try to reset everything before I enter any room multiple times if I have to.

Nail-27 likes this.
  23. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

Please please someone tell me why we can't see each other....that is D6s issue . Is it the guy you can't see or you because you can't see him. There must be one of you guys who work in windowless buildings ( old AF term for VERY SMART PEOPLE with absolutely no common sense because they never leave the lab. :lol:) who can answer this.

SHOCKY_WELL likes this.
  24. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

Damn.... you guys are having and old fashioned dog fight. Keep it up.
    Cheers

SHOCKY_WELL likes this.
  25. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Not being able to see other drivers is usually due to incompatibility on some level between the drivers that can't see each other. It can usually be fixed by having all the drivers that can't see or can't be seen leave the room, reset some things, and re-enter the room. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get it right. Sometimes they need to enter in a different order.

I can't say what the exact cause is. It could be a lost packet somewhere along the way, it could be a product of overly high ping times between two users causing their connection to time out to each other, or it could be any number of other causes. I can say that it happens in both open lobbies and friends only rooms when using a non-fixed host. I can also say that the only time I have seen it happen in a fixed host room, it was an open lobby and there was one driver that couldn't see any other driver and all the other drivers couldn't see him. I don't know if that was the same issue just acting differently in a fixed host room or if it was something else all together. I haven't run in enough fixed host rooms to say that it doesn't happen in those rooms.

I can't speak for who the culprit might be in D6 but I think it's pretty common knowledge who the culprit is when it happens in D3 as that driver is almost always involved in not being able to see others or others seeing him. If you start to keep track of who is involved when it happens, you will probably be able to isolate the problem connection(s).

Nail-27 likes this.
  26. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

It was some fun racing a lot of different winners last night. Which makes for exciting racing.

aerolite and BayouSimDrifter like this.
  27. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

THANK YOU. Can the same happen between a host and a single player. The reason I ask is that the only time I get DCd in Another series is when a specific player is hosting.

28. BayouSimDrifter

BayouSimDrifter

it wouldve been better if i hadnt DC'd during that race :mad: yes im bitter

aerolite and Nail-27 like this.
  29. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

The answer to that would depend if the room was being run as fixed host or non-fixed host. In a non-fixed host room, every player is directly connected to every other player so the host is really just another player who happens to have control of the room settings. For some reason, PD ties the quality of the room settings to whoever the host is when the room is opened. It really should be adjusted based on the connections in the room. In a fixed host room, every player is connected to the host and the host relays information to every other player. If you are running in a fixed host room and only getting DC'd when a certain person hosts, I would say that you probably have a connection issue with that person. It could be on either side or somewhere in the middle.

Nail-27 likes this.
  30. Rockhound18

Rockhound18 Premium

And..... time for some hot lapping in the Megane. :cheers:

KTR5 likes this.