◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,700 comments
Last night in WC was a blast. I completed 2 of 3 races. We were running 3 wide in the Scooby going into the back straight chicane on Daytona, it was wild.
I liked the car selection. Especially that Sube. Really quirky powerband. Lots of grip. The fezzer was loose under braking, it really rotates entering corners even with light application. I didnt race the vette but in practice laps it was surprisingly the most boring out of all of them!
But it got to be too late! I work M-F 8-5, and I need to switch to the normal divisions. I can't be this tired every monday morning lol.
Who can I DM to switch divisions?
Overall it was a great first experience with S.N.A.I.L. and I wish I could have stayed up to complete the series!

Last night in WC was a blast. I completed 2 of 3 races. We were running 3 wide in the Scooby going into the back straight chicane on Daytona, it was wild.
I liked the car selection. Especially that Sube. Really quirky powerband. Lots of grip. The fezzer was loose under braking, it really rotates entering corners even with light application. I didnt race the vette but in practice laps it was surprisingly the most boring out of all of them!
But it got to be too late! I work M-F 8-5, and I need to switch to the normal divisions. I can't be this tired every monday morning lol.
Overall it was a great first experience with S.N.A.I.L. and I wish I could have stayed up to complete the series!

If you want to switch from the WC to main time slotted division, send a PM to @JLBowler.

Sorry about this D7. We'll have to revisit the hosting issues and get it taken care of for next week.
I got put in as back up to the back up host in D7 as that was what I was in D8 but our room was small. I was gun shy about trying to host D7 from Canada because of room size and my connection speeds.
I just did a test and got
P=21ms DL=6.27Mbps UL=0.97Mbps
If that is good enough I have no problem to be a back up. I have never been dc'd or not been able to see anyone.

I got put in as back up to the back up host in D7 as that was what I was in D8 but our room was small. I was gun shy about trying to host D7 from Canada because of room size and my connection speeds.
I just did a test and got
P=21ms DL=6.27Mbps UL=0.97Mbps
If that is good enough I have no problem to be a back up. I have never been dc'd or not been able to see anyone.

It depends. Can you post a screen shot of the actual test? Pick 2 locations, I'd suggest maybe one in the Florida area and in California, so we get an idea of the worst case scenario for distance.

Never once did I say that I thought I was fast. I said that with time with car and track, I could keep up with other competitors.

I used to think the same thing, I didn't talk about it publicly, but I believed. Turns out I was right, but you don't know until you actually do it.

I wanted to mention it because I encourage you to not talk and just do. And even if you do well, realize that in racing you are never done learning. Even the best F1 drivers learn something every time they hit the track. Its part of what makes racing so addictive. Constant learning and improvement (and of course a whole lot of fun). I skimped and saved every penny, found a LeMons team and poured sweat and blood into working on the car just to find out how I fared in a real race.

It sounds like you have an itch that needs to be scratched. Do whatever you can to get on track, it will be worth it. The video below is from my first ever race. Prior to it I had a few seasons of autocross and a track day, but I do believe that a lot of my learning happened in GT and iRacing.

I'm not trying to brag or say I'm the greatest thing since Fangio to hit the track (the video alone shows this), but I am confident in my on-track abilities. Sim racing is a great tool, but nothing replaces real seat time.

I encourage anyone who wants to hit the real asphalt to do what they can to make it happen. The video is a 24 hoursOfLemons event - those and ChumpCar are about the most affordable way to get some real door to door seat time and a heck of a lot of fun. Autocross is great too and most local SCCA solo clubs are filled with friendly and helpful members, much like snail.

I am disappointed that connection issues ruined me being able to race....last I saw we had 6 people which has been the best turn out for a while :(

It depends. Can you post a screen shot of the actual test? Pick 2 locations, I'd suggest maybe one in the Florida area and in California, so we get an idea of the worst case scenario for distance.
Here you go, one to Miami and one to LA.
Speedtest Miami.JPG

Speedtest LA.JPG

An open letter to this week's prize winners:

Dear fellow snail(s),

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. I see that my beloved F430 is in danger of being relegated to the annals of snail combo history. I write with the hope that she can hang on, maybe just a few more weeks, but in a home more suited to her wonderful driving dynamics.

Monza 80s was a decent place to drive, but not so good to race. The car however was simply amazing in my eyes. Well balanced with an almost psychic ability to turn in with the mere will of the driver Yet, post 1.09 update especially, good rear end grip and stability. And who doesn't love the sound and power of that thoroughbred Italian V8 that makes peak power at 9k rpm?

In attempt to save my precious, I offer to help anyone who does not share my view to get the most out of this car. Yes she is an MR and hence can be tricky to get around some corners. I feel that with a small amount of coaching I could help anyone see this lovely vehicle for the gift of the GT gods that she is ;)

Best Regards,

F430 leg humper

I used to think the same thing, I didn't talk about it publicly, but I believed. Turns out I was right, but you don't know until you actually do it.

I wanted to mention it because I encourage you to not talk and just do. And even if you do well, realize that in racing you are never done learning. Even the best F1 drivers learn something every time they hit the track. Its part of what makes racing so addictive. Constant learning and improvement (and of course a whole lot of fun). I skimped and saved every penny, found a LeMons team and poured sweat and blood into working on the car just to find out how I fared in a real race.

It sounds like you have an itch that needs to be scratched. Do whatever you can to get on track, it will be worth it. The video below is from my first ever race. Prior to it I had a few seasons of autocross and a track day, but I do believe that a lot of my learning happened in GT and iRacing.

I'm not trying to brag or say I'm the greatest thing since Fangio to hit the track (the video alone shows this), but I am confident in my on-track abilities. Sim racing is a great tool, but nothing replaces real seat time.

I encourage anyone who wants to hit the real asphalt to do what they can to make it happen. The video is a 24 hoursOfLemons event - those and ChumpCar are about the most affordable way to get some real door to door seat time and a heck of a lot of fun. Autocross is great too and most local SCCA solo clubs are filled with friendly and helpful members, much like snail.

Looks like you had tons of fun racing fizzer, that is what counts.

I have been a fan of the gt series from a young age, I would be trilled to have an opportunity to join in on this racing experience, my pin is jay-c2000

@Jayc2k

Here's your official S.N.A.I.L. Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

The speed at which @nmcp1 responds to the new driver requests is astounding. Great job to you for getting all that important information to them when their interest is at it's peak!

Here you go, one to Miami and one to LA.
View attachment 175386

View attachment 175387

Those look pretty good to me. But I'm not an expert (nor am amateur). Maybe @JLBowler will take a look and give some feedback.

Having sunk a lot of my hard earned money into track days etc years ago. The advice I would give someone interested in testing themselves without breaking the bank is to get a decent used racing kart and go to race nights at the local kart track. You can load it up in a pickup, put it in a garage and race with very little expenditure besides the initial start up gear.

If this is still too much, find one of those cool indoor or outdoor kart places that let you drive/race their stuff for X dollars an hour/lap etc.

Getting on the track with an actual car (lemon or not) is quite expensive on tires, brakes, entry fees, transportation, maintenance etc.

Thinking you COULD be fast is great. BEING fast is great. But I will tell you, fast guys are a dime a dozen throughout the world. For every fast guy on the track there is a faster guy sitting at home with no money to race. You may not know this but racers bring their own money to the teams by way of sponsors. You may be the next Senna or Shumacher but if you can't walk up to a race team with your own money, then they don't give two fecal matters how fast you are. The millionaire playboy with sponsors out the yin yang will always beat out the faster guy with no money.

There are very few opportunities offered like GT Academy...where any old joe shmo can walk up and show someone how fast they are without spending a dime. Almost every other team wants to know who your sponsors are and how much money you brought to the table.

There are a few major sports where rags-to-riches stories do not exist. Racing, Golf and Tennis come to mind almost immediately.

Having sunk a lot of my hard earned money into track days etc years ago. The advice I would give someone interested in testing themselves without breaking the bank is to get a decent used racing kart and go to race nights at the local kart track. You can load it up in a pickup, put it in a garage and race with very little expenditure besides the initial start up gear.

If this is still too much, find one of those cool indoor or outdoor kart places that let you drive/race their stuff for X dollars an hour/lap etc.

Getting on the track with an actual car (lemon or not) is quite expensive on tires, brakes, entry fees, transportation, maintenance etc.

Thinking you COULD be fast is great. BEING fast is great. But I will tell you, fast guys are a dime a dozen throughout the world. For every fast guy on the track there is a faster guy sitting at home with no money to race. You may not know this but racers bring their own money to the teams by way of sponsors. You may be the next Senna or Shumacher but if you can't walk up to a race team with your own money, then they don't give two fecal matters how fast you are. The millionaire playboy with sponsors out the yin yang will always beat out the faster guy with no money.

There are very few opportunities offered like GT Academy...where any old joe shmo can walk up and show someone how fast they are without spending a dime. Almost every other team wants to know who your sponsors are and how much money you brought to the table.

There are a few major sports where rags-to-riches stories do not exist. Racing, Golf and Tennis come to mind almost immediately.

Definitely agree. Supply and demand - some of the most fun and exciting sports unfortunately have a high barrier to entry cost. Racing is certainly the worst from that standpoint that I can think of. Aside from those you mentioned some others are lots of winter sports - snowboarding / skiing, bobsledding, hockey to some extent. Your average stick and/or ball sports are usually much more approachable, but they never struck my fancy.

The junk car racing has become hugely popular though for a good reason. Its still not cheap (like basketball or soccer cheap), but at least there is now an opportunity for a working class stiff like myself to at least get a taste of what a big-dollar road racer gets to experience.

I haven't seen it first hand, but I think there's some pretty reasonable racing opportunities in low-level amateur circle track racing too.

An open letter to this week's prize winners:

Dear fellow snail(s),

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. I see that my beloved F430 is in danger of being relegated to the annals of snail combo history. I write with the hope that she can hang on, maybe just a few more weeks, but in a home more suited to her wonderful driving dynamics.

Monza 80s was a decent place to drive, but not so good to race. The car however was simply amazing in my eyes. Well balanced with an almost psychic ability to turn in with the mere will of the driver Yet, post 1.09 update especially, good rear end grip and stability. And who doesn't love the sound and power of that thoroughbred Italian V8 that makes peak power at 9k rpm?

In attempt to save my precious, I offer to help anyone who does not share my view to get the most out of this car. Yes she is an MR and hence can be tricky to get around some corners. I feel that with a small amount of coaching I could help anyone see this lovely vehicle for the gift of the GT gods that she is ;)

Best Regards,

F430 leg humper

It is good but not THAT good... On the contrary, the Vette THOUGH!
Actual speed, actual throwing it in corners, the close up speed at the apexes, gliding it around corners like you are flying, the wiggling to break free from what little but sufficient downforce it has through fast corners. The raw power shooting out of slow corners. A true, exciting monster GT1 race car From back in the days. Fuji was a rather good battlefield for it but a big track like Spa or high speed track like Red Bull Ring would be even crazier.

@Azure Flare ,
how tall are you? Weight?
Do you like dirt?
Can you get to Atlanta/Knoxville next weekend?

My local SCCA Rallycross region has had an issue with locations, so I'm thinking about running in the Atlanta region, but they run on Sundays, so we'll miss the last week of SNAIL, but unless Fuji and/or the Vette go away, I'm not catching @KTR5.

The event is this Sunday, but they are also running an expo Saturday night under the lights.

They run at Durhamtown Plantation an offroad park about 90 mile east of Atlanta

If you're a SCCA member it's 35$($45 if not), you would need a parent if under 18 (not sure?).

It's not much, literally not much left of a 2001 Audi S4, but you are welcome to drive it for the event. We'll get killed by the Imprezas in Mod AWD class, but its still a blast. It's not purpose built, just what I could make out of a wrecked, hail damaged, bent car with the parts I had available.

378126_10200930769609016_2000364980_n.jpg

426605_10200944902682334_810027700_n.jpg

Last edited:
@Azure Flare ,
how tall are you? Weight?
Do you like dirt?
Can you get to Atlanta next weekend?

My local SCCA Rallycross region has had an issue with locations, so I'm thinking about running in the Atlanta region, but they run on Sundays, so we'll miss the last week of SNAIL, but unless Fuji and/or the Vette go away, I'm not catching @KTR5.

The event is this Sunday, but they are also running an expo Saturday night under the lights.

They run at Durhamtown Plantation an offroad park about 90 mile east of Atlanta

If you're a SCCA member it's 35$($45 if not), you would need a parent if under 18 (not sure?).

It's not much, literally not much left of a 2001 Audi S4, but you are welcome to drive it for the event. We'll get killed by the Imprezas in Mod AWD class, but its still a blast. It's not purpose built, just what I could make out of a wrecked, hail damaged, bent car with the parts I had available.

378126_10200930769609016_2000364980_n.jpg

426605_10200944902682334_810027700_n.jpg

I would give my 🤬 to do it! But im on the West Coast...

I am disappointed that connection issues ruined me being able to race....last I saw we had 6 people which has been the best turn out for a while :(

Do either of you know if anyone stepped up to do the scoring or record votes from the WC division now that @Neovre is in D1 and @jobyone is retired?

It is good but not THAT good... On the contrary, the Vette THOUGH!
Actual speed, actual throwing it in corners, the close up speed at the apexes, gliding it around corners like you are flying, the wiggling to break free from what little but sufficient downforce it has through fast corners. The raw power shooting out of slow corners. A true, exciting monster GT1 race car From back in the days. Fuji was a rather good battlefield for it but a big track like Spa or high speed track like Red Bull Ring would be even crazier.

HERESY I say! A pox on all your houses!

Old school GT cars at least had some compliance you could work with and use weight transfer to your advantage. Modern GT cars tend to go where you point them, even if they're not necessarily precision instruments like my beloved Ferrari that respond instinctively to your mere suggestion of driver input.

Good riddance to the 'Vette I say ;)

Back