◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
OK YOU TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED SNAILS
Just had a CB (thunderstorm) punch out the sliding closure for a room air conditioner. Under it was my computer (oh horrors...I get to replace the antique !) flat bed scanner and laser printer.... All of which are hors de combat due to water ingestion. :P I need recomendations to replace with a gaming computer ( middle of the road) that can handle modern sims. There are so many on the market that it is VERY confusing. Used to be you bought an Alienware...but they are now owned by someone big..Dell maybe...and that might be a deal breaker. I'm sure other SNAILS would like the info too...to put on Birthday Lists for the younger and Anniversary lists for the more decrepid. Keep it brief for the sake of those really not interested.

Yes but its frowned upon a bit and honestly it wont improve lap times much if at all
Prior to Update 1.09 it appeared to increase understeer in most cars and thus made a bad situation worse :ouch:. I used to do it routinely in the game thinking it can't hurt. Yes it can. Of course if you have an overabundance of oversteer it might help. The rule of thumb was NEVER apply to a race car...but who knows now with IMPROVED physics in 09.

@KTR5 @zer05ive @JLBowler I would like to freeze 430 Ferrari don't like Monza with that high pp street cars.

After consulting with @kadrek (who tested with me last night), I'm choosing Special Stage Route 5 to go with the Ferrari F430 '06.

@zer05ive @JLBowler
I have been testing these as they come in Bowler as i have to be in at work at 3am Est, i have made my decision.....

I choose the RE Amemiya RX7 GT300 Base Model '06
512pp/337hp
Racing Hard Tires

And the track which is Trial Mountain Circuit - Forward

7 Laps and 6 Min of qualifying should do it just fine

Also keep in mind guys it doesnt mean i didnt like the other combos i loved all of them but i liked this one a bit better. But i will keep everyones suggestion in my mind for future prizes. The reason i didnt pick Red Bull Ribg is simply i was afraid there may be some type of glitch with a full room that hasnt been discovered yet or some other random pooch screwer. I would rather wait until the next update to see if anything is mentioned or discovered, again great suggestions guys and thanks.
Thanks for the picks (and the suggestions)! The June 29th lineup has been posted!!

@zer05ive @Dragonwhisky @JLBowler

Line up for this weekend is set. Laps and qualifying times for combos 1 & 2 are tentative. Each combo will have times in the 1:30 per lap range.

1- RE Amemiya RX7 GT300 Base Model '06
337HP / PP 512 (Racing Hard tires)
at Trial Mountain Circuit - Forward
7 laps and (6 minutes of qualifying) (based on @aliengamer25's suggestion)

2- Ferrari F430 '06
(519HP / PP 548) (Sports Soft tires)
at Special Stage Route 5
6 laps (6 minutes of qualifying)

3- Subaru IMPREZA Touring Car
(477HP / PP 565) (Racing Hard tires)
at Daytona Road Course
6 laps (6 minutes of qualifying)
Thanks for the summary! It's a huge help! :bowdown:

USERID_77a23 has opened the Red Room
1472-6118-4130-9224-7988

Hey guys, did anyone enjoy tonight's practice?
I sure did, ran a car I hadn't before on Trial Mountain and my pick, the Ferrari that now begins her third week!, to bad she can't show her full potential at that track but drive her below her potential, as if your in Los Angeles and push on the straights then slow way down, you might be ok!

This will be the last SNAIL Event of the season, so if you want to gain a points position then you better practice!

That sucks a lot, but I could use this information too as I am looking to expand into iRacing, rFactor, Assetto Corsa, and possibly project CARS if the console version isn't as close to the same as the PC version as they say it will be.

I myself am willing to spend more to get more (That's why I have a T500RS instead of a G27.), but I'm not going for super-expensive.

Just had a CB (thunderstorm) punch out the sliding closure for a room air conditioner. Under it was my computer (oh horrors...I get to replace the antique !) flat bed scanner and laser printer.... All of which are hors de combat due to water ingestion. :P I need recomendations to replace with a gaming computer ( middle of the road) that can handle modern sims. There are so many on the market that it is VERY confusing. Used to be you bought an Alienware...but they are now owned by someone big..Dell maybe...and that might be a deal breaker. I'm sure other SNAILS would like the info too...to put on Birthday Lists for the younger and Anniversary lists for the more decrepid. Keep it brief for the sake of those really not interested.

I always build my own. These days its pretty simple even for a non techie. The physical building is the easiest part, you pretty much can't do it wrong. The trickier part is buying all the right stuff and making sure its compatible, but even that isn't too bad. newegg.com is your best friend for these cases.

PM me if you're interested and I can set up a shopping list based on budget.

If you want to go retail and need tech support and a warranty, I can't help you much since I have zero experience in that area, but these guys have a good name in the iRacing community and are a small focused business (started in '09 as just one sim racing enthusiast building PCs in his basement for other sim racers): http://mainperformancepc.com/

'Dat $7,000+ liquid-cooled EXTREME X-3770K.

But, you can knock it down to under $5,000 if you take out the 3 monitors, and substitute the less-expensive options.

I don't have $5,000, but the Turbo FX 6000 that I specced to ~$1,4000 sounds mighty tempting, but the options for keyboards, mice (I have my own), and headsets leave me looking elsewhere.

I won't bother with monitors, blu-ray, or or internet security that isn't Kaspersky.

NBa4rpL.jpg

I'm not certain about this car.

AMDP100GWFOS2014.PNG

I sure hope I can paint it all one color.

Something else that caught my eye

John Surtees
...A major thing in racing is to know who you are competing against, those you can take liberties with, those you have to steer clear of and those you can have total confidence in when you are racing wheel to wheel...

SNAIL drivers should all endeavor to be in that last group he mentioned.

Last edited:
Well I'm game to join @Nail-27 talked me into it :-)

@miata13B

Here's your official S.N.A.I.L. Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Hey guys, did anyone enjoy tonight's practice?

To be honest, no, not really. I bowed out after the first round. I'm still only in my second month of online racing of any sort, so I'm not at the pace of a good majority of drivers in the red room practice. As it is practice meant for D7 to, I guess, D4 last night, I figured the best way to get faster is to go up against faster drivers and try and see what they are doing, just like in real life racing. However, joining the room last put me on pole for race 1 in a full room, and all I'm trying to do is not get hit, my braking points are obviously a bit sooner and I'm not going as fast so I was getting hit a bunch of times. It didn't affect me much but I was definitely affecting the guys behind me and I'm sure there was some cursing going on under their breath! I just felt more like an obstacle than anything else and wasn't having much fun. Race 2 was much of the same. It seems to me that this room really isn't the place for newer racers. I feel my racecraft is very good and I tried my best to hold my line or get out of the way.
Maybe having a separate practice room for newer racers would be better, or is that what yellow room is for?
I noticed this morning that yellow room came on later and I guess I should go there. I haven't been to a yellow room practice yet, is it a different set up compared to red?
I don't want it to sound like I'm whining, just want to get my view across as someone still relatively new to online racing and trying to get faster.
:cheers:

Back