◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,782 comments
I saw last night that the lap times for Trial Mountain and Special Stage Route 5 are very similar (around 1:30.xxx or less). 6 Laps on Route 5 might be less than 10 minutes.

To be honest, no, not really. I bowed out after the first round. I'm still only in my second month of online racing of any sort, so I'm not at the pace of a good majority of drivers in the red room practice. As it is practice meant for D7 to, I guess, D4 last night, I figured the best way to get faster is to go up against faster drivers and try and see what they are doing, just like in real life racing. However, joining the room last put me on pole for race 1 in a full room, and all I'm trying to do is not get hit, my braking points are obviously a bit sooner and I'm not going as fast so I was getting hit a bunch of times. It didn't affect me much but I was definitely affecting the guys behind me and I'm sure there was some cursing going on under their breath! I just felt more like an obstacle than anything else and wasn't having much fun. Race 2 was much of the same. It seems to me that this room really isn't the place for newer racers. I feel my racecraft is very good and I tried my best to hold my line or get out of the way.
Maybe having a separate practice room for newer racers would be better, or is that what yellow room is for?
I noticed this morning that yellow room came on later and I guess I should go there. I haven't been to a yellow room practice yet, is it a different set up compared to red?
I don't want it to sound like I'm whining, just want to get my view across as someone still relatively new to online racing and trying to get faster.
I strongly encourage you to stick with it as you were doing great whenever I was behind you. Leading a race as a noob can be a daunting experience; it certainly was for me when I first joined and now that I almost always hit the blue room, which didn't seem to exist yesterday, I'm in the exact same situation as you were last night (I am the only non-D1 racer in there most nights; if you thought last night's racing was fast and aggressive . . . ). But each night I joined I ended up learning quite a bit, and what I learned is the kind of stuff I can only grasp when I am forced outside of my comfort zone.

Regarding the yellow room, I disagree with the conventional wisdom that it is the place to practice racecraft. You'll find good racecraft in each room. The yellow room is where you go to practice two starts in one race (that frantic turn 1 charley-foxtrot), and that's where I felt I needed the most practice when I first started in SNAIL. But hard and clean racing should always be present in every room.

@aerolite - I started out in the lowest division that SNAIL had at the time. And felt exactly as you just described ... too slow, road block, etc. Have been with the league for 2 years and, though getting better, I still make mistakes and "get in the way" too much of the time. Reverse Grid still has me too conscious of who/what is behind me instead of focusing on the track ahead.

I totally agree with what @Wardenclyffe wrote to you ..... please take his advice.

Please, Sir, stay with us ....... this is the best league / group of racers / friends that you will experience in the On-line Community. Everyone is helpful and will work with you - all to your increased enjoyment of our mutual endeavors.

I strongly encourage you to stick with it as you were doing great whenever I was behind you. Leading a race as a noob can be a daunting experience; it certainly was for me when I first joined and now that I almost always hit the blue room, which didn't seem to exist yesterday, I'm in the exact same situation as you were last night (I am the only non-D1 racer in there most nights; if you thought last night's racing was fast and aggressive . . . ). But each night I joined I ended up learning quite a bit, and what I learned is the kind of stuff I can only grasp when I am forced outside of my comfort zone.

Regarding the yellow room, I disagree with the conventional wisdom that it is the place to practice racecraft. You'll find good racecraft in each room. The yellow room is where you go to practice two starts in one race (that frantic turn 1 charley-foxtrot), and that's where I felt I needed the most practice when I first started in SNAIL. But hard and clean racing should always be present in every room.
last night you glitched right in front of me in the trail mountain race lol. i saw clear road then boom WARDENCLYFFE

I'll post some photos for potential banners sometime tomorrow, you can view my most recent post in my GT6 gallery to refer back to photos of the Subaru.

Trial Mountain is quite picturesque, while SSR5 isn't so much, but I'll make do.

Well I'm game to join @Nail-27 talked me into it :-)

Ah yes, somebody else who goes prancing around all over GTP is now in the best league on GTP.

Last edited:
Head's up for anyone on the fence about buying Assetto Corsa, Steam has on sale for 50% the Early Access Price($39.99 down to $19.99). This offer is valid for 48 hours(~47 at the time of this post). The devs have also stated that the game will probably be going from early access to a full release in the very near future, and currently they have an update planned for July 18th that will bring some new graphics, and the highly anticipated Lotus 98T! It truly is one of the best racing simulations currently in development and is getting better all the time.

Also with them releasing the mod tools required to import cars with the last update, we now have the first car to be imported into the game. However it is still an early beta and there is a lot of work to be done. :)

Assetto Corsa - http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/

Corvette Daytona Prototype - First car mod released for AC

Showroom_corvette_dp_hd_27-6-2014-11-11-0.png

Ah yes, somebody else who goes prancing around all over GTP is now in the best league on GTP.
I'll be limited to the amount of racing I can do, however I am intrigued to see how I match up to everyone :-) hopefully I'll have a good showing making division 8 ;-)

Head's up for anyone on the fence about buying Assetto Corsa, Steam has on sale for 50% the Early Access Price($39.99 down to $19.99). This offer is valid for 48 hours(~47 at the time of this post). The devs have also stated that the game will probably be going from early access to a full release in the very near future, and currently they have an update planned for July 18th that will bring some new graphics, and the highly anticipated Lotus 98T! It truly is one of the best racing simulations currently in development and is getting better all the time.

Also with them releasing the mod tools required to import cars with the last update, we now have the first car to be imported into the game. However it is still an early beta and there is a lot of work to be done. :)

View attachment 177125

The graphics look great. I assume the PC you need would have to be similar to one set up to run iRacing?

I saw last night that the lap times for Trial Mountain and Special Stage Route 5 are very similar (around 1:30.xxx or less). 6 Laps on Route 5 might be less than 10 minutes.

I think we ran 6 laps last night and it was just under to right at 9 minutes.

View attachment 177125
Now I really need a PC...OK GANG...I don't build computers (as my wife...Intel Officer...PHD....TYPE A ....told me once when I complained about cleaning toilets in our Inn on the coast of Maine..."if you can fly an F4 50 feet above the ground at 500 KIAS and drop a bomb in a pickle barrel...you too can learn to clean a toilet." Like the toilet...I don't want too. Lol ). I want instantaneous gratification...hopefully via AMAZON PRIME.
Gimmie a link. PLEASE.

Now I really need a PC...OK GANG...I don't build computers (as my wife...Intel Officer...PHD....TYPE A ....told me once when I complained about cleaning toilets in our Inn on the coast of Maine..."if you can fly an F4 50 feet above the ground at 500 KIAS and drop a bomb in a pickle barrel...you too can learn to clean a toilet." Like the toilet...I don't want too. Lol ). I want instantaneous gratification...hopefully via AMAZON PRIME.
Gimmie a link. PLEASE.

You crack me up Ned. Of all the SNAILs here, you're on my short list of who I'd like to meet in person.

last night you glitched right in front of me in the trail mountain race lol. i saw clear road then boom WARDENCLYFFE
Sorry to hear that and I sympathize with the frustration you must have felt. In case it makes you feel better, we never once so much as parking-lot-car-dinged each other last night in my view. I also had no lag whatsoever, not even that trace Matrix-esque echo that can precede real problems.

My belief is that lag is caused individually and is greatly affected by on-track proximity to the user your bandwidth has an issue with, meaning there was at least one person on track that was encountering some type of lag issue (the reaction to your lag action, or vice versa). This is also indirectly affected by whoever (wherever, really) else is in the room and directly affected by the PSN and PD network state (some nights it's not a user issue but rather a network issue).

In my experience, stepping out to clear the cache typically helps at least a small bit for a short time and often fixes it outright, but only when both (or more) users experiencing lag do the same. When EVERYONE has lag issues of some kind it's time to abandon the room; they never come back to a useable state.

You crack me up Ned. Of all the SNAILs here, you're on my short list of who I'd like to meet in person.
Thanks...how about a "Gathering" every couple of years....

In my previous job...like in F1 ...you needed a sense of humor...including mocking yourself...and a total lack of imagination as to what COULD happen..as in there is only ONE...winner ...and it might not be you. After that ....racing was/is my passion...and this is as close as you can get....at home.

Again to ALL RACERS please go watch " 1" it is repeating on Velocity and NBCSN. It is a truthful history of F1 that will explain what you are currently watching...and why you can watch it and why driver safety is what it is today in all levels . Some have said it was sensational and blood thirsty....no it IS true..I grew up with it...it was very traumatic and exciting in the extreme...the love of my life....after SWMBO of course.

Gimmie a link. PLEASE.

A (corrected) link.
A second link.

By the way, these are just random picks I made because of Amazon Prime. I could make more refined choices for you if you give me a price range.

@aerolite - I started out in the lowest division that SNAIL had at the time. And felt exactly as you just described ... too slow, road block, etc. Have been with the league for 2 years and, though getting better, I still make mistakes and "get in the way" too much of the time. Reverse Grid still has me too conscious of who/what is behind me instead of focusing on the track ahead.

I totally agree with what @Wardenclyffe wrote to you ..... please take his advice.

Please, Sir, stay with us ....... this is the best league / group of racers / friends that you will experience in the On-line Community. Everyone is helpful and will work with you - all to your increased enjoyment of our mutual endeavors.
Thanks @TEX36 and @Wardenclyffe for the kind words. I have no intention at all of leaving SNAIL and have been thoroughly enjoying the Sunday night racing. I just felt I was getting in the way last night and probably messing up others and ruining their race with someone else. I guess I'll have to go into it with the mindset that the faster guys have to realize the noobs are going to be slower and brake a bit sooner. After all it is practice.
I have truly been humbled racing with SNAIL, I always thought I was pretty fast as I won in all the levels of the game, but now after finally getting the opportunity to race online I realize that certainly is not the case!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give a quick update before I head to bed. Felt good to get back into the car today at Paul Ricard. Was fairly easy to get up to speed here since we had a test day earlier in the year at this track. Bronze test went well but just getting up to speed and a feel for everything again. I get excited every time I get to a race event. Just makes me antsy for the race.

Our two practice sessions proved that our car is quick here with Alex Buncombe putting us in the top 5 during both sessions. First session for myself I worked on finding some more speed which is exactly what I did, improving over a second faster from the bronze test session we had in the morning. The second session again was to run a consistent 7 laps or so to find a good race pace. We had adjusted the car a little bit which seemed to be a good improvement and all my sector times improved. Unfortunately I was never able to put a really good lap together due to a high amount of traffic and a couple mistakes on my part with the one or two less traffic laps.

Anyways, ready to go tomorrow and hopefully redeem my performance from Silverstone. Feeling much more comfortable in the car this race and planning on getting into a good mindset to put in a good stint. Hopefully we will be on top of the podium again!

-Nick

Not sure where the live stream will be. Hopefully there will be one from NISMO.TV but I have no confirmation on it. If not you can always checkout the Blancpain GT site! May have to run through a site that changes your IP address to make it think you're in a different country if through Blancpain's site. See you all later!

Qualy: 2:20am(PST)
Race: 10:15(PST)

Thanks @TEX36 and @Wardenclyffe for the kind words. I have no intention at all of leaving SNAIL and have been thoroughly enjoying the Sunday night racing. I just felt I was getting in the way last night and probably messing up others and ruining their race with someone else. I guess I'll have to go into it with the mindset that the faster guys have to realize the noobs are going to be slower and brake a bit sooner. After all it is practice.
I have truly been humbled racing with SNAIL, I always thought I was pretty fast as I won in all the levels of the game, but now after finally getting the opportunity to race online I realize that certainly is not the case!

Just remember, Thursdays are practice! Pressure is off, no one is filing incident reports or keeping score. Very rarely some people get a little frustrated, but that's a side effect of racing with a competitive group - and maybe sometimes some people have had a little too much redbull or beer before before the practice ;)

I use Thursdays to find different limits. If there's a particular turn where I feel I may run afoul of track boundaries, I'll try some different lines through it, save a replay, and verify legality later. I may also try some much more, erm, exciting? types of passing opportunities so I have a better idea of what's prudent on Sundays.

Now I'm not recommending to go drive recklessly in practice rooms, but I think we should all feel free to let our hair down a little and take a few risks to get more valuable practice from the practices :)

Just remember, Thursdays are practice! Pressure is off, no one is filing incident reports or keeping score. Very rarely some people get a little frustrated, but that's a side effect of racing with a competitive group - and maybe sometimes some people have had a little too much redbull or beer before before the practice ;)

I use Thursdays to find different limits. If there's a particular turn where I feel I may run afoul of track boundaries, I'll try some different lines through it, save a replay, and verify legality later. I may also try some much more, erm, exciting? types of passing opportunities so I have a better idea of what's prudent on Sundays.

Now I'm not recommending to go drive recklessly in practice rooms, but I think we should all feel free to let our hair down a little and take a few risks to get more valuable practice from the practices :)
I very much agree ,try different things. But I still see a lot of "i need to be first now" mentality out there. Multi divisions means there ARE slower drivers who brake sooner out there. Faster guys diving in on lower division racers is not cool in a practice or a race(especially on the first lap)And telling them after you nail them "you brake too soon there" doesn't help either. It's always the car behinds responsibility to get around WITHOUT making contact doesn't matter if he thinks they other guy is slow. If you're fast you can pass without bumping

Edit: this is in no way directed a fizzer. Lol , I don't think I've even raced with you

Last edited:
The graphics look great. I assume the PC you need would have to be similar to one set up to run iRacing?

I tried iRacing a while back right after I got my laptop(Cadillac had a free 3 month subscription + the CTS-V race car if you signed up for info from them), and it ran fine. The games very well optimized and some of the big settings(like world detail) only have a difference of a couple of FPS between there lowest and highest settings. I'm getting between 30-40fps(some modded tracks aren't as well optimized and get lower FPS) with mostly high graphics settings with this laptop using the HDMI out to my 26" TV and running in 1920x1080 - http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15r-se-7520/pd

Plus it might even get better with the new graphics they are going to add in a few weeks. :) Even if you don't get it before the daily deal ends, make sure to pick it up soon as once the game is released it will go from $39.99 up to $59.99. Take that savings and use it for the dlc they've announced for later this year(10 cars & laser scanned Nurburgring!). Plus they are still announcing new licenses(like Alfa Romeo the other day). :)

Gimmie a link. PLEASE.

Looks like some of the other guys have given you some suggestions, and even if you don't have a computer good enough yet, buy the game asap. When you get your new computer you can just download Steam and sign in and all your games will be listed for download even if they were bought on a different computer. :)

And that right there is the attitude that has chased some away from the official practice night and chased a few completely away from SNAIL. Nobody wants to be the victim of somebody else's experiment and have their race (practice or not) ruined. If you're in an official SNAIL room, you should always strive to race as clean as possible. If you want to experiment with things that are likely to ruin the race of another driver, you should get some guys together that want to do the same and do it in a room without the SNAIL name in it.

Don't take it personally. There were drivers with this mentality long before you showed up and I'm sure it will continue into the future.

Back