◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
Yes, I agree that the original format was very solid. However, keep in mind that we only started with one division and just winning 3rd place earned Prize C. Therefore, it wasn't as if there was any need to give the Prize C winner much more than a pat on the back in the form of a gift car. When we eventually expanded to three divisions, we switch the prize winners to the winners of each division. But even then, the Prize C winner was still the "worst of the best" so-to-speak and so there still wasn't a compelling feeling to reward Prize C with much more than a gift car. We eventually expanded to 5 or 6 divisions in the GT5 days, but then contracted back down to 3 in the final days as GT6 loomed on the horizon.

However, when GT6 came along, not only did we lose the Prize C gift car, but we ballooned to eight divisions pretty quickly. So not only was there a need to find a new Prize C, but winning Prize C in the first place was now a much more impressive feat (third highest score out of ~100 drivers). When we took a vote back in March, the overwhelming majority supported the "freeze". That being said, it's noted in that post that, "if chaos and confusion take over the prize selection process, we'll have to reconsider." So the question is, has that been the case? Has the added complexity of Prize C outweighed the value of the prize itself? If anyone else feels that way, let it be known so that that we can re-vote on the matter.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The problem I have with Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 is that they put a higher value on picking a new car over picking a new track. I feel that both the car and the track should be viewed as equally important components of a combo, and neither should be put on a pedestal or labeled as the component that needs to be determined first before the other can be determined.

Of course, that "priority" would be eliminated by Scenario 3 and 4. However, I see the addition of those two scenarios as the same thing as eliminating Prize C entirely. The reason I say that is because Scenario 1 is the same thing as Scenario 4. Similarly, Scenario 2 is the same thing as Scenario 3. Yes, they are described differently, but they equate to the identical result. For example, if the Prize B winner chose to freeze the track (as in Scenario 4), why wouldn't he just choose a new car (as in Scenario 1)? Either way, the track is frozen. Same thing with the car.. If the Prize B winner wanted to freeze the car (as in Scenario 2), he would be much better off simply choosing a new track (as in Scenario 3) because that would freeze the car anyways.
I think it would be good for there to remain 3 prizes, because winning comes in either threes or one.

Olympics: Gold, Silver, Bronze
F1 Podium: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

or

NBA,MLB,NFL,NHL,etc.: You only remember who won.

'If you ain't first you're last' - Ricky Bobby

Yes, I agree that the original format was very solid. However, keep in mind that we only started with one division and just winning 3rd place earned Prize C. Therefore, it wasn't as if there was any need to give the Prize C winner much more than a pat on the back in the form of a gift car. When we eventually expanded to three divisions, we switch the prize winners to the winners of each division. But even then, the Prize C winner was still the "worst of the best" so-to-speak and so there still wasn't a compelling feeling to reward Prize C with much more than a gift car. We eventually expanded to 5 or 6 divisions in the GT5 days, but then contracted back down to 3 in the final days as GT6 loomed on the horizon.

However, when GT6 came along, not only did we lose the Prize C gift car, but we ballooned to eight divisions pretty quickly. So not only was there a need to find a new Prize C, but winning Prize C in the first place was now a much more impressive feat (third highest score out of ~100 drivers). When we took a vote back in March, the overwhelming majority supported the "freeze". That being said, it's noted in that post that, "if chaos and confusion take over the prize selection process, we'll have to reconsider." So the question is, has that been the case? Has the added complexity of Prize C outweighed the value of the prize itself? If anyone else feels that way, let it be known so that that we can re-vote on the matter.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The problem I have with Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 is that they put a higher value on picking a new car over picking a new track. I feel that both the car and the track should be viewed as equally important components of a combo, and neither should be put on a pedestal or labeled as the component that needs to be determined first before the other can be determined.

Of course, that "priority" would be eliminated by Scenario 3 and 4. However, I see the addition of those to scenarios as the same thing as eliminating Prize C entirely. The reason I say that is because Scenario 1 is the same thing as Scenario 4. Similarly, Scenario 2 is the same thing as Scenario 3. Yes, they are described differently, but the equate to the identical result. For example, if the Prize B winner chose to freeze the track (as in Scenario 4), why wouldn't he just choose a new car (as in Scenario 1)? Either way, the track is frozen. Same thing with the car.. If the Prize B winner wanted to freeze the car (as in Scenario 2), he would be much better off simply choosing a new track (as in Scenario 3) because that would freeze the car anyways.

I don't think the current system is that bad - we just testing ideas to see if it can be improved. The fact that it is difficult to improve shows that it is a good system. It just seems that the last few weeks the Prize B winners took a gamble that didn't work out as they hoped. So, continuing with the current system won't take away the fun that almost 100 racers have every weekend.

About the scenarios: The only advantage of Scenario 2 and 4 (freezing an option) is that Prize B passes his opprtunity to choose something new onto Prize C (out of the greatness of his heart...) otherwise Prize C would never have input.

@JLBowler is looking into gift options, which could be expanded further. Prize A choose new Combo. Prize B Changes the other Combo. Every remaining winner of their divisions gets a gift. (Eliminate Prize C)

Welcome home welcome home :D

By the way SNAIL members, I'm going to autocross with my Lexus IS350 in Fontana (real life event). :D this Saturday prior to our SNAIL. race this Sunday. Anyone lives in CA, USA? If so, would you like to join too? http://www. .com/events/eventdetail.aspx? id=483
I did autocross 2 months ago in Fontana, it's was really fun, I live in venture county, Hour and a half away but will be busy with wife's family

Yep I understand your point about the 'Probation Voucher' and $hells, and thought of that, but just threw it on there to give the post some meat. Other people may see areas for prizes to be rewarded, I have only been here for two weeks and have only scratched the surface of the deep culture this group has. :bowdown:

You see that @zer05ive? SNAIL has a culture. And, he said it's deep. Self Awareness is not far off. Better get your bunkers stocked and ZA survival kits ready. :crazy:

I have a practice room up for anyone interested. room number 1472-6399-8665-9410-5388. All are welcome.

currently starting on ascari

I'll be there in a bit. I just updated the racing number on every available car in my garage and later when I grind a bit of money I'll paint every car and set of rims the same.

We have some nice motorsports action going on here this week.... I can't wait for the world rally cross!

Downtown yesterday (not my pics).
BucSbaSIQAI9mng.jpg

Bub_pu8IIAASeMc.jpg

Welcome home welcome home :D

By the way SNAIL members, I'm going to autocross with my Lexus IS350 in Fontana (real life event) :D this Saturday prior to our SNAIL race this Sunday. Anyone lives in CA, USA? If so, would you like to join too? http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=483
If I was in town and not working I'd come. You should come out to some of the extreme speed events. There's one at Buttonwillow at the end of the month. http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/

I don't think the current system is that bad - we just testing ideas to see if it can be improved. The fact that it is difficult to improve shows that it is a good system. It just seems that the last few weeks the Prize B winners took a gamble that didn't work out as they hoped. So, continuing with the current system won't take away the fun that almost 100 racers have every weekend.
I think you are misplacing the "blame" of unpopular prize choices on the wrong thing. It has nothing to do with the system. If there were no Prize C at all, the Prize B winner would have even more power to make an unpopular choice. At least with Prize C in the mix, the choice is limited somewhat. Simply put, unpopular "freezes", cars, or tracks are made by the person choosing them, not by the system in place that determines who gets to choose them.

About the scenarios: The only advantage of Scenario 2 and 4 (freezing an option) is that Prize B passes his opprtunity to choose something new onto Prize C (out of the greatness of his heart...) otherwise Prize C would never have input.
Okay, but having a prize system that depends on the greatness of peoples' hearts is going going to do nothing but show that peoples' hearts are inherently not so great. :lol:

@JLBowler is looking into gift options, which could be expanded further. Prize A choose new Combo. Prize B Changes the other Combo. Every remaining winner of their divisions gets a gift. (Eliminate Prize C)
But.. but.. this! :P

Now what if we just swapped prize b and c, and got rid of the ability to pass the freeze, that way the c always freezes, and b gets more power from either choosing from a wide variety of cars and tracks, instead of just one of each, it would make sense because c seems more valuable then b right now, and most B's are being passed anyway

I'll be there in a bit. I just updated the racing number on every available car in my garage and later when I grind a bit of money I'll paint every car and set of rims the same.
This actually reminds me of an idea that I've had since the last big patch came out. And since this has been a day of bringing up new ideas, here goes mine..

We currently have seven divisions in the league. What if every division was assigned a specific car number base and typeface? That way every car in the division would be uniform (pretty pictures!) and look as if they were in the same racing league. Also, it would enable us to tell which division we were looking at just by looking at the numbers. For example:

Division 1 - Type E Base / Type A Typeface
Division 2 - Type D Base / Type B Typeface
Division 3 - Type C Base / Type C Typeface
Division 4 - Type B Base / Type D Typeface
Division 5 - Type A Base / Type A Typeface
Division 6 - Type A Base / Type B Typeface
Division 7 - Type A Base / Type C Typeface

The above list is just an example of what I'm talking about and is not what I am proposing necessarily. It's just to help get the idea across. If the idea gets any traction, we could really sit down and dissect what kinds of real life series use what kind of bases and typefaces so that we can use that as a gauge as to which division should get which design. I think the only obvious choice is that D1 gets the Type E base (the one that says "Gran Turismo" at the top) since many of them will be driving cars that look like that at Silverstone in a few weeks. Thoughts?

Last edited:
@zer05ive

How about Prize C winner wins a 5x multiplier towards his vote? That way Prize C winner has more of a possible impact on the combo he wants voted off. I know you love math! :cheers:

Winner of Prize B goes back to our original prize of picking a new car or track.

Now what if we just swapped prize b and c, and got rid of the ability to pass the freeze, that way the c always freezes, and b gets more power from either choosing from a wide variety of cars and tracks, instead of just one of each, it would make sense because c seems more valuable then b right now, and most B's are being passed anyway

This is basically what we have already, except for it diminishes the value of Prize B. At least now Prize B has the choice of keeping or passing the freeze.

Also I like the idea of the Prize B winner having to make a choice of whether or not to pass or keep the freeze. It's taking a calculated gamble. I'm probably in the minority on this though.

D2 data has been entered to the Results Doc for 8/3/14

Pole Lap Honors:
Round 1 (RE Amemiya RX7 GT300 Base Model '06 @ Fuji Speedway F): @Kgffy - 1:43.773
Round 2 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) '14 @ Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow): @Dacana / beatin_the_odds - 1:18.321
Round 3 (GTR-GT500 Base Model '08 @ Suzuka Circuit): @Dacana / beatin_the_odds - 1:58.431

Fast Lap honors:
Round 1 Race 1 : @Kgffy 1:43.571
Round 1 Race 2 : @JLBowler 1:43.699

Round 2 Race 1 : @xrad-11 1:18.350
Round 2 Race 2 : @Dacana / beatin_the_odds 1:18.363

Round 3 Race 1 : @WaLT_100R / Clutch_800 1:57.719
Round 3 Race 2 : @GTP_unleashed 1:57.672

Total Times/Wins:
Round 1 Race 1 : @Kgffy 10:28.974
Round 1 Race 2 : @JLBowler 10:29.256

Round 2 Race 1 : @Dacana / beatin_the_odds 10:35.028
Round 2 Race 2 : @Dacana / beatin_the_odds 10:49.269

Round 3 Race 1 : @Dacana / beatin_the_odds 11:54.876
Round 3 Race 2 : @GTP_unleashed 11:52.798

Congratulations to Dacana/beation_the_odds on the overall night win. Four different drivers popped the top step and all but two stood the podium. beatin_the_odds took a commanding lead for the night in the second round, but the battle for second raged all the way to the last race with 5 drivers contesting the place.

Thanks to all in Division 2 for their cooperation and especially to those on the Team SNAIL roster that keep the races running. :cheers:

Thanks to @nmcp1 for the nice layout!

He was doing mid 1:22s I think it was. I was averaging 1:25.7s

Practiced it right now for first time online with others
1:24,451was best i got and 1:25s range is my average

1:28,223 at ascari and high 29s average

Last edited:
@zer05ive

How about Prize C winner wins a 5x multiplier towards his vote? That way Prize C winner has more of a possible impact on the combo he wants voted off. I know you love math! :cheers:

Winner of Prize B goes back to our original prize of picking a new car or track.
This is what I was thinking when trying to figure a way to disentangle the B and C winners. But I dismissed the idea due to the complications. But I do like this if it takes hold. This is probably the only way for a C winner to influence the next week and speed up the process. Maybe determine who gets what prize....add X number of votes to whatever C winner voted on Sunday night, then tally all votes and tell A and B what they've won.

Last edited:
Or let Prize B decide

1)which Combo he wants to favor (0.8 x votes?) or frown upon (1.2 x votes?)
OR
2)the traditional Car/Track.

C gets the table scraps.

Back