Open ◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Presented by ButtKicker: Feel What You've Been Missing

Discussion in 'SNAIL Racing League' started by zer05ive, Dec 13, 2011.

1. zer05ive

zer05ive Premium

An error in the results post has been discovered. It appears that the penalties did not change the order as they are supposed to so I'm going to redo the post. The prize winners are correct however, so prize winners please make your selections asap. I'll work on correcting the results in the meantime.

euclid58 likes this.
  2. FSportIS

FSportIS

So nicely put. Also I would add that the reported person should actually appreciate the time and effort that the reporting person put into filing the IR. It does take time to watch the replay as well as analyze it. They do that to help you. I did not realize I (Mr_Smile) made so many damn bad mistakes until I got the IR filed against me.

The bottom line is, as long as the IR is filed with good intention, it is a lesson not just for the person being reported but for all to learn. We are humans and we make mistakes. In fast race where everything happens in milli-second, even aliens make mistakes lol. The important thing is recognizing it and more important thing is proactively seeking ways to resolve and not to repeat the same mistake.

3. GTP_Vertigo

GTP_Vertigo

D5 Results have been inputted into the Results document.

zer05ive, Dragonwhisky and CoachMK21 like this.
  4. FSportIS

FSportIS

CoachMK21, congratulations to you!!! You are the winner of my little $10 Amazon gift card. I have sent you a PM with a code. Please check your inbox. Thanks for bidding.

5. CoachMK21

CoachMK21

Awesome. Thanks! I really appreciate it!

zer05ive, euclid58 and FSportIS like this.
  6. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

As most of you know I was an Air Force pilot and the connection between flying and racing (not driving) is very strong as both required multiple mental and physical skills not needed or utilized in most other professions/avocations.
    I usually refrain from posting Aviation on this thread but my group who flew with each other in Combat in SEA has a thread where we chew the fat, look for one we have lost touch with, post significant "finds". Here is one of them.

The link below is a Graduation Video from a Class in UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training...which lasts 53 weeks...Thus the Term "The Year of 53 Weeks"). It takes a student from USAF Academy, ROTC, and OTS (Officer Training School) and re-trains out aviation skills already learned, and retrains all to do it the Air Force way. Attrition used to be @ 15%. This, (thank God for Go-Pro which has allowed Instructors to record flights...thus the video) production captures the essence of the experience with AWESOME in flight photography. NONE OF THIS IS STAGED.

ENJOY...and thank God Kids still want to do this

88GTA, zer05ive, OwensRacing and 8 others like this.
  7. WaLT_100R

WaLT_100R

Hey where do I make my vote?

8. MajorBlixem

MajorBlixem

I would file an IR if I deem the incident was due to bad race craft. If it was just an honest mistake from a good driver I usually don't see that as malicious and dont file an IR.

9. GTP_Vertigo

GTP_Vertigo

You have to wait until @jamilla makes his choice.

CoachMK21 likes this.
  10. FSportIS

FSportIS

Wow this is super awesome!!! This can be a very cool interest for some who never get to know aviation. At least now that interest pops up in my head by just watching your video.

11. Dragonwhisky

Dragonwhisky Premium

@WaLT_100R you'd have to go back the results post to see how the Prize C pick works.

Here it is in all its glory;

Don't know if this
    will still hold, but @jamilla will need to confirm. If the above remains jamilla's choice you will be picking a car to race at Autumn Ring. Might want to do some testing and get ready.

@zer05ive and @JLBowler, do we need to make a deadline where jamilla's choice stands and we can get on with combo picking, picture taking, banner making, practice goodness?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Handlebar likes this.
  12. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

I say, in the interest of having something selected before practice tonight, that @jamilla 's original selection counts and @WaLT_100R can go ahead and make his prize C selection.

13. Matt Sierras

Matt Sierras

I think @jamilla intends to freeze autumn ring but he put his vote in before the Incident report. I would start to think about a good car for that track.

McTrucker likes this.
  14. zer05ive

zer05ive Premium

We can definitely have a discussion about whether or not people on probation should be able to win prizes, but before we get into that, you do realize that penalties have to be given to a driver in order for them to be put on probation, right? Throwing your division under the bus for for not being clean all night long isn't going to get any of them on probation, so whether or not drivers on probation can earn prizes or not would have zero chance of affecting the racing in your division anyways.

Next time you want to complain about your division being dirty, read this and do something about it. If you start doing your part to promote clean racing (by filing IR's) but still don't see any improvements, bring up your probation suggestion again and we can revisit it at that time. :tup:

euclid58, Jayc2k and Nail-27 like this.
  15. aerolite

aerolite

Cool video. I think my favorite maneuver in formation flying is the rejoin, breaks are cool to. Actually, formation flying is just plain cool!

DCschwinn, Biebs74 and Nail-27 like this.
  16. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

true ... but remember the room steward has the right to review all races and submit his own IRs if he sees that things are getting out of hand (even if we agree that it was just a dumb ass move due to inexperience (like mine) in our Division discussion). That is how I got "nabbed"...sort like a "Speeding Camera"....( I'll bet Dragon has never been called a Dirty Rotten Speeding CAMERA before. LOL). And...it certainly works...got my attention. I have NEVER had an IR submitted, until now. I was already on my best behavior ...now I'm not paranoid...they ARE watching and...I'm gonna be better because I know it. :rolleyes:

Euclid and I were both distinguished graduates from the Pardon me, Excuse me, School of Passing....except he's faster damn it.

17. Handlebar

Handlebar Premium

And both @Nail-27 and @euclid58 are pretty careful, normally.

All of us make mistakes, or will make a mistake, someday. How you guys handle the mistake and normally minimize the damage (or avoid the damage) is greatly appreciated.

Nail-27, euclid58 and Biebs74 like this.
  18. AJKVail

AJKVail

This is very old news ( over 2 1/2 years ago) and really needs to be addressed!
    "Race craft, space craft!"

JoeW and fzappa like this.
  19. FloptaStr8

FloptaStr8

??? :confused: that comment seems sarcastic, but you exhibit good racecraft. I'm confused. :sick:

20. AJKVail

AJKVail

In the beginning we had no IR'S. When the penalty system was implemented there was a short discussion regarding drivers who received penalties still rewarded with prizes.

fzappa likes this.
  21. FloptaStr8

FloptaStr8

Oh. Ok. I just assumed if a person was on probation, no prize could be won.
    If a person can win a prize while on probation, then what is probation? What's its purpose?

22. euclid58

euclid58

Prize A selection:

Honda NSX Type R '02 - 475 pp. 305 hp. Sports Medium.
    Silverstone GP - 5 laps. 6 min qualifier.

Attn:
    @JLBowler
    @zer05ive
    @Dragonwhisky

23. AJKVail

AJKVail

BINGO! Ruin the whole rooms night and win a tee shirt!!!
    IR's IMO have never done anything to clean up the racing. IMO, if the OLR was enforced, we would never have to file IR's!
    Please bring back the tally sheet of penalty points awarded to drivers!

24. vsfit

vsfit

I see it as a three strikes and you're out policy. Swing away!

DCschwinn likes this.
  25. FSportIS

FSportIS

Yeah, setting out the rules and enforcing it can be a good thing. Fish-slapping, putting offenders/violations on probation is a very good enforcement process.

However, not all mistakes are intentional. We know passing has to be clean and incident free but there are also so much variations going on in a race that the sometimes drivers don't make the right decisions quick enough in mili-second.

Setting up and enforcing clean racing has been so far so good. In addition to this, I would suggest we make videos demonstrating excellent pass and clean racing. We can do this by extracting the epic passes and clean racing from many available replays. The video would be accompanied with some commentary/discussion from a already fast/clean driver. It would be even better if we have comparison and contrast between excellent clean pass vs. dirty racing in the same corner in the same track. We can have a separate video created by a fast clean driver sharing their thinking process of how to executing an excellent pass such as where to pass, timing the pass... with demonstration from parts of the replays.

These will be great resources to promote clean racing, to educate new-comers on clean racing and to let everyone of us look back and review when we make mistake. Once everyone is educated with time and practice, we will all improve to become better and cleaner drivers, then our police will have to work less. It is a win/win to all. I believe many of us who are looking to learn and improve will greatly appreciate SNAIL considering this suggestion.

BayouSimDrifter, Schmiggz and vsfit like this.
  26. IceWarden

IceWarden

This is a great choice. I drive that car in the DTC on occasion and it's great. Especially on SH and SM tires.

Nail-27, euclid58 and vsfit like this.
  27. GTP_Vertigo

GTP_Vertigo

Any update for sundays combo's?

28. TEX36

TEX36 Premium

With only an hour or so before our Thursday practice, would someone please summarize or give information about "what" to practice tonight.
    Inquiring drivers want to know.

29. GTP_Vertigo

GTP_Vertigo

Combo A:

Car: Honda NSX type R '02 475pp/305 hp on Sports mediums
    track: Silverstone Grad Prix (Full COurse)
    Laps: 5
    Qualifying: 6 minutes I think.

I agree with @JLBowler that @jamilla freeze of Autumn Ring should stay,but thats not my decision.

Been waiting on @WaLT_100R Most of the day.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Handlebar and dgaf95integra like this.
  30. Handlebar

Handlebar Premium

Last I recall, some time ago, admittedly, that data is out there.

Looking forward to your suggestion on how, who, etc, and penalties, on what you believe 'enforcement' should look like. Lots of details to cover, should make for illuminating discussions.

And FWIW- if someone is penalized, they pretty much ain't winning anything that week.

Race clean next week - who's race got ruined?

JoeW likes this.