◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,790 comments
i would say so http://www.speedtest.net/result/3898455405.png these are my results
3898493652.png

and here is to ruffly the same server in florida
Apparently my system in working fine. .8 upload speed is the fastest they offer in my area.

The SNAIL policy on disconnects can be found with the description of the points system.

To sum it up, disconnects are treated as mechanical failures. Drivers who disconnect during the race are scored in the order that they dc. First one to dc finished last, second one to dc finishes second to last and so forth.

In the event of mass disconnection, it is left up to the room to decide how to handle it. This decision should rely on common sense to do what is right. If there are multiple disconnects at the start or early stages of the race, rooms have decided to exit and restart the race after allowing everyone to try and reenter the room. If the incident occurs toward the end of the race, the most common solution is to award points in the order of dc and move on. Remember that some people have jobs early Monday morning and need their sleep. We don't want to spend half the nigh trying to fix connection issues.

If drivers dc one at a time at different times throughout the race, there is no need for a restart ever. That is an issues with the individual driver connection and is always treated as a mechanical failure. Only in the event of multiple drivers getting dumped at the same time should the room consider a restart of the race and then only if it is early enough in the race to make a difference.

The ping isn't out of control. To go from OR to FL with only 105ms ping isn't bad. But that upload will be. If you are racing, I suggest shutting down/disconnect anything else that can use the internet. Check out this. Also, if you are running wireless, stop. Run some Ethernet cable between your route/modem to your PS3.
I play wirelessly and have no connection issues.

You may not see any issues but how many issues are you causing other to have with your wireless connection? The way the rooms are set up under a nonfixed host, every player is connected to every other player. The host merely has control of the settings. There is no more load put on any one connection than any other connection in a non fixed host room. Basically, the stability of the room is tied to the worst connection. A wireless connection has a very high probability of being the worst connection in the room.

Buy an ethernet cable and wire up that PS3. You can get a cable from Amazon for less than 10 dollars and you will greatly improve your experience and the experience of everyone who is racing with you.

And I am willing to bet you also have a better ISP. My point is valid even for you however, as being wired to your router, or even better still, your modem is far better than wireless. PS3 runs on the G network (IEEE 802.11g). Average throughput is about 22mbps. Opposed to Wired LAN running effectively around 89mbps. Not to mention the inherent instabilities with wireless. Going through walls, other wireless noise, including light bulbs, electrical wires in the walls, laptops, desktops, so on and so forth.

And I am willing to bet you also have a better ISP. My point is valid even for you however, as being wired to your router, or even better still, your modem is far better than wireless. PS3 runs on the G network (IEEE 802.11g). Average throughput is about 22mbps. Opposed to Wired LAN running effectively around 89mbps. Not to mention the inherent instabilities with wireless. Going through walls, other wireless noise, including light bulbs, electrical wires in the walls, laptops, desktops, so on and so forth.

The wireless connection of the PS3 is not the best in the world. It probably has something to do with the FCC rules about wireless devices for consumer use are not allowed to create any interference and have to accept any interference that they might receive. I paraphrased that from the FCC and I don't pretend to know all the inner workings going on there but it's probably a good place to start with reasons for why wired is superior to wireless.

The wireless connection of the PS3 is not the best in the world. It probably has something to do with the FCC rules about wireless devices for consumer use are not allowed to create any interference and have to accept any interference that they might receive. I paraphrased that from the FCC and I don't pretend to know all the inner workings going on there but it's probably a good place to start with reasons for why wired is superior to wireless.
unless you are unable to hard wire to your modem at which point all this is just a mute point

The SNAIL policy on disconnects can be found with the description of the points system.

To sum it up, disconnects are treated as mechanical failures. Drivers who disconnect during the race are scored in the order that they dc. First one to dc finished last, second one to dc finishes second to last and so forth.

In the event of mass disconnection, it is left up to the room to decide how to handle it. This decision should rely on common sense to do what is right. If there are multiple disconnects at the start or early stages of the race, rooms have decided to exit and restart the race after allowing everyone to try and reenter the room. If the incident occurs toward the end of the race, the most common solution is to award points in the order of dc and move on. Remember that some people have jobs early Monday morning and need their sleep. We don't want to spend half the nigh trying to fix connection issues.

If drivers dc one at a time at different times throughout the race, there is no need for a restart ever. That is an issues with the individual driver connection and is always treated as a mechanical failure. Only in the event of multiple drivers getting dumped at the same time should the room consider a restart of the race and then only if it is early enough in the race to make a difference.
and that is the way it was handled, so i hope that person understands why we did what we did

but your missing the important part what are your test result. Are they similar to @McTrucker s
I haven't done a connection test, just can say I personally haven't suffered from any lag. Although it was just pointed out to me that I was lagging a little to another player in the room, nothing terrible though.
You may not see any issues but how many issues are you causing other to have with your wireless connection? The way the rooms are set up under a nonfixed host, every player is connected to every other player. The host merely has control of the settings. There is no more load put on any one connection than any other connection in a non fixed host room. Basically, the stability of the room is tied to the worst connection. A wireless connection has a very high probability of being the worst connection in the room.

Buy an ethernet cable and wire up that PS3. You can get a cable from Amazon for less than 10 dollars and you will greatly improve your experience and the experience of everyone who is racing with you.
I believe RachingChamp, our host, runs a fixed room, so perhaps that helps? And I have ethernet cables, the issue is more about placement of my router/modem, it's upstairs so my desktop computer can be wired, my ps3 is downstairs and getting a wired connection all the way down a story and on the other side of the house would be difficult. I may just move the router though, since I hardly game on my desktop anymore.

It's actually a moot point. That's our whole point is that wired is better than wireless for everyone involved.
and if you are unable to run a wired connection to your playstation it makes anything said moot .There are A LOT of reason why someone would not be able to run hardwired as an example it's not your house and your not allowed to drill holes through the walls, but your modem is in one spot as placed by your internet provider and your system is in another. Or you have kids and your not going to run a cable through your house for them to trip on or pull on or just generally mess with!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back