◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,789 comments
At a track day I'd likely be one of the slow moving cars on all the straights with my 60rwhp (and 14 second 0-60 time), but I'd get at least .9g on a skidpad with my new wheels/tires/suspension and 2200lb curb weight.

Would probably be strange to be fast in corners and then dead slow on the straights in traffic, but if there was an inexpensive way to try I'd love to.

I looked into track days at Carolina Motorsports Park briefly, but you have to pay for 40 days a year which costs about double the value of my car, unless there is some other way I don't know about.

The car is much better suited for autox, so I'm gonna start there. (and think about upgrading my radiator and brakes for later)

You'd have to pay for 40 days a year for a track day? Are there any clubs that run track days? A track day shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred at the most.

You'd have to pay for 40 days a year for a track day? Are there any clubs that run track days? A track day shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred at the most.
From what I remember reading, at the local track to do track days you have to pay for a membership that is $2,000+ but you get 40 days a year.

I don't know of any clubs but I admittedly didn't dig very deep. I just checked CMP's website and googled a couple things and concluded I was way too broke for it, and needed to focus on keeping the car running lol. It's 30 years old next year.

I'll work on the 'too broke' part first, then figure out how to get in on some track days. Autox is way cheaper.

Ah man, that sucks. Any other tracks around?
Not really unless you count NASCAR ovals, dirt ovals, tiny paved ovals, and motocross tracks.

Roebling Road, Road Atlanta and VIR could be day trips, I suppose. A little far for a day trip, but doable if I got up really early and took a nap before I headed home.

Better late than never right? Banners @zer05ive!!

Photo credit to @TomMang_68
20150628R1.jpg

Photo credit to @Raw10_2u
20150628R2.jpg

Photo credit to @Raw10_2u
20150628R3.jpg

Last edited:
So, Logitech decided to replace the G27 wheel again. They apologized on behalf of UPS for the damage during transportation - and I sensed an equal amount of frustration from the other side of the phone line. I pushed a little and they produced and sent me an Express Shipping Label on the spot. I packed it up and dropped it off - so hopefully the turnaround time on this one will be less that the 5000 mile / 21 day road trip of the first replacement attempt.
fingers crossed.gif

So, Logitech decided to replace the G27 wheel again. They apologized on behalf of UPS for the damage during transportation - and I sensed an equal amount of frustration from the other side of the phone line. I pushed a little and they produced and sent me an Express Shipping Label on the spot. I packed it up and dropped it off - so hopefully the turnaround time on this one will be less that the 5000 mile / 21 day road trip of the first replacement attempt.
View attachment 400793

I would expect them to send one out ASAP, while yours is in transit as well. They'll be able to see that yours is in transit. A lot of warranty replacements I've dealt with from various companies do this to reduce turnaround time, and it's a nice gesture towards the costumer to minimize that frustration and downtime. Hope you get it soon!

Not really unless you count NASCAR ovals, dirt ovals, tiny paved ovals, and motocross tracks.

Roebling Road, Road Atlanta and VIR could be day trips, I suppose. A little far for a day trip, but doable if I got up really early and took a nap before I headed home.
Road Atlanta and VIR are gorgeous tracks. Not sure how your 86 would do at Roebling, lots of looooong sweepers and even longer straights for you to take a snooze :lol:

Road Atlanta and VIR are gorgeous tracks. Not sure how your 86 would do at Roebling, lots of looooong sweepers and even longer straights for you to take a snooze :lol:
Yeah, it's not really the best choice xD

I was really sad when I heard the oak tree at VIR fell :( I never got to see it.

I was really sad when I heard the oak tree at VIR fell :( I never got to see it.

That tree was quite old though, wasn't it? It was great that they kept something trackside for so long that became an icon though.

That tree was quite old though, wasn't it? It was great that they kept something trackside for so long that became an icon though.
Yeah it was 200-400 years old. I was looking for the video I saw about it, but couldn't find it. Its got a lot of history, even been in an old corvette ad from before VIR closed in '74

VIR_Oak_Tree_Corvette_C3_Advert.jpg

From what I remember reading, at the local track to do track days you have to pay for a membership that is $2,000+ but you get 40 days a year.

I don't know of any clubs but I admittedly didn't dig very deep. I just checked CMP's website and googled a couple things and concluded I was way too broke for it, and needed to focus on keeping the car running lol. It's 30 years old next year.

I'll work on the 'too broke' part first, then figure out how to get in on some track days. Autox is way cheaper.

If you were to do the 40 days the $2,000 entitles you to do, the cost of maintaining the car would far outweigh the original membership fee. I haven't done a track day in a few years but I'm looking forward to going out to Mondello Park towards the end of July with the Clio 172. The track day is organised by members of an Irish petrolhead website and they hire the track and all its facilities for the day so the whole thing is run privately. The cost for the day is around $200 but the beauty is that if you only want to do 1 a year that is fine. You can't apply for entry unless you have at least 150 posts on the website so to a certain degree everyone knows everyone.

The marshalling and scrutineering is all handled by the staff of Mondello and they are strict on driver behaviour and car standards and it's not unusual for cars to be black flagged if they are seen to be driven a bit too sideways than is necessary. I've found the events to be very enjoyable with everyone showing good respect for each other which is obviously even more important than it is here in SNAIL with our virtual machinery. Some cars get even more respect than others, particularly, the likes of the Ferrari F40, 599 GTO and the Porsche Carrera GT which the brave owners have brought out in the past.

Mondello is quite a tight, technical track so it should suit the Clio well so I'm looking forward to see how it performs. It will be a very different experience from my BMW 535d which I've gone around with before. That is a car that surprised a lot of the regulars who weren't expecting a big sedan to go lap so well.

Here's a video taken back in 2011 from onboard a friend's M3 which includes an appearance of my car and a bit of a heart stopping moment I had when the car momentarily aquaplaned on the main straight and two wheels crossed over onto the very wet grass.

I appear behind from about 2:20 in, chasing an Alfa Romeo 156 GTA, and the "moment" happens at 3:25.

Don't look at the track itself. I found similar schemes for VIR when I was first learning about this.

You need to go motorsportsreg.com - you can find autocross or track days within a certain distance of where you are looking. You don't even have to be a member of some clubs for some track days - this is the opening you're looking for. The local PCA chapter doesn't require you be a PCA member for almost any event. PCA members sometimes get a day or two headstart, or a week, but then the window is thrown open to all.

First - find out when a "tech session" will be held, and have your car tech inspected - it is free - but bring a tech inspection form with you as if you're going to an event. Now you'll know if your car is likely to be allowed on a track, or what needs to be addressed. Tech is done 2 weeks or less before any event.

Second - carefully read the event details in the Motorsportsreg event. Send an email to the DERegistrar for that event if you are not sure. The local BMW club doesn't allow my targa to enter their DE events. A different BMW club told me 'no problem.' Some tracks are more finicky - Lime Rock, for example - on sound emissions or for convertibles/targas. Some clubs may want you to take a class before the event.

Third - Find an event, then GO! There were also some 'slow cars' that were not at ALL slow. One BRZ was running in the middle group and was easily holding his own. OK... the one long straight was less a matter of 'holding his own'... but he was great in corners.

Division 5 data complete.... curses to Call me Mike for beating me out for the night, but my wining the June season makes up for it. you all can address me as Div 5 Champ Lobban. i might even acknowledge you. lol.
Watch out Div 4..."MODEST MIKE" don't call me slo_ban Lobban could be coming for ya!!!

He may even let you guys win a race or two.... If your nice!!!

All kidding aside congrats Mike...I know how hard it is win one of these things, so good on ya!!! :cheers:

Now will you please acknowledge me...:bowdown:

Last edited:
Thank You thank you, thank you. To all my loyal but slightly bent online friends. How many nicknames is that now? Bring it on, I love it.
I don't want to move up, do I have to go? I don't win a lot of races in D5, but I have been consistant and finished upper, middle of the pack most races. I don't dominate D5, far from it. I think D4 would be a little too competative for my liking. I love racing with the boys and girl and geriatric in D5. Everyone is clean and respectful now that Deal has gone, lol and I feel as though I am right where I belong. Plus I get to race with Steve,(aero), when he takes a break from buggering the sheep. It's even better beating him.

Don't worry Paddy, I might toss a look in your direction. 👍

Thank You thank you, thank you. To all my loyal but slightly bent online friends. How many nicknames is that now? Bring it on, I love it.
I don't want to move up, do I have to go? I don't win a lot of races in D5, but I have been consistant and finished upper, middle of the pack most races. I don't dominate D5, far from it. I think D4 would be a little too competative for my liking. I love racing with the boys and girl and geriatric in D5. Everyone is clean and respectful now that Deal has gone, lol and I feel as though I am right where I belong. Plus I get to race with Steve,(aero), when he takes a break from buggering the sheep. It's even better beating him.

Don't worry Paddy, I might toss a look in your direction. 👍
I see your point Mike, and as much as I love being in the same division with you, it would ruin SNAIL if we let people stay in the division they wanted to. When someone is consistently winning, they are faster than the others in the group, even if it's just a tad. Of course it would be fun to stay in a division where you're always middle to front of the pack, but that means you are not racing with your peers. I'm sure you'll find success in the next division, and look forward to being in the same division as you in the future.

Latest Posts

Back