◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,756 comments
As much as the Viper was a very difficult car to drive, I'm sad to (unofficially) see it go.

Always seems like the combos I'm better at leave quickly.

Also, can we ban @src_ej6 from racing until the NSX is voted off?
His damn shifter, dude is a rocket.
Completely agree. Awesome combo. Sheer balance and throttle control, corner rotation with no leeway. Fantastic fun!

Completely agree. Awesome combo. Sheer balance and throttle control, corner rotation with no leeway. Fantastic fun!
As much as the Viper was a very difficult car to drive, I'm sad to (unofficially) see it go.

Always seems like the combos I'm better at leave quickly.

Also, can we ban @src_ej6 from racing until the NSX is voted off?
His damn shifter, dude is a rocket.
I agree with you both I don't want it to go it definitely required patience and driver control it's a shame these cars never stay around really they make the racing so much closer look at d2 last night it's a great example same person didn't win 2 races amazing really. But if it's not a car that can basically drive itself it won't last

Regarding the viper, I think we need to reexamine the rules that determine tires. In the case of the viper we have a suspension that cant keep up with the demands of the tires and makes it difficult to consistantly control the car. I think putting SS tires on the viper would make it a much better, more fun car to drive. Of course this wouldn't apply to most N600 cars, but for some reason Dodge put a minivan suspension on a 600hp car. Just my thoughts, yo.

Regarding the viper, I think we need to reexamine the rules that determine tires. In the case of the viper we have a suspension that cant keep up with the demands of the tires and makes it difficult to consistantly control the car. I think putting SS tires on the viper would make it a much better, more fun car to drive. Of course this wouldn't apply to most N600 cars, but for some reason Dodge put a minivan suspension on a 600hp car. Just my thoughts, yo.
I agree, we don't have a single car that uses CM tires, even the Samba Bus.

For all those that want to change the tire regulations because one or two cars don't "feel" right.

Why don't you come up with a new system that accounts for all the cars currently in game and can be applied to future cars as they are added. When I say a system, I mean a formula or set of rules that could be applied to all current and future cars based on something measurable so that it is consistent and repeatable and not just a list of cars and the tires you think they should use.

When you have something like that, feel free to share and the BoD will take it under consideration.

I agree, we don't have a single car that uses CM tires, even the Samba Bus.

As is the system provides a great overall balance. Maybe N100's do belong on CM. Besides that, Snail Grip regs seem appropriate to me.

The Current system leaning towards slightly over-tired in a few instances creates opposite cases like with the Viper, where the step up to race tires (on a winding fresh circuit) provided an exciting, low grip/understeering experience.

The unique snail formula, even in GT5 & 6 has always kept it interesting & applies evenly to all cars.

Last edited:

I don't think it's the suspension, it's the engine - gobs of torque at the low end overpower grip afforded by the tires. Personally I like driving a variety of cars (power, handling, some high reving, others low torque, fwd/rwd/awd) and the more we drive a variety of cars, the more quickly we can adapt to a new car. Has anyone tried the Mercedes F1 car? - that thing is a beast! This being said - the Fiat Abarth was really pushing the variety envelope :P

The viper in particular was an education on squeezing the throttle - muscle cars really do work that way. I enjoyed the Viper at Suzuka combo.

I agree with mike honestly dont think tires were the issue I had one incident last night and it was me getting anxious on the last lap and spun. Honestly the torque the car makes is so ridiculous at low rpms so it wants to step out. That and given the fact that the viper is practically weighs as much as a skyscraper it doesnt help.

With how much of a challenge the Viper was to handle, it was fun to drive. The Snail tire settings are there to provide a challenge for the driver with each individual combo. Their was one car in GT6 that never got chosen after we used it the first time was the Toronado. For me i was able to handle it well while others had a problem with it not just from the tire settings in Snail but also how powerful that car was. To me we go from lighter to heavier vehicles in GTS which provides a really good challenge. In GT6 i remember it went from the lowest PP car picked to highest PP vehicle picked for that 2nd and 3rd combo. In GTS it goes by how much the vehicle weighs and that combo goes first, second and third. While some won't be comfortable with the Snail tire settings or some will like the Snail tire settings based on how well or bad the vehicle feels to each individual driver. I am happy with the current Snail tire settings for GTS as was for GT6. It provides a challenge to each individual driver how they respond to each car/track combo. Others will have a great experience and others will have not so great experience but it's meant to provide a challenge for each of us to get the win each night, get the most points by end of season per month so we can be involved in the Race of Champions. Not meant to make this easier, like in racing outside of video games, have to work for that Top pole. For me with the Viper, even though i am familiar with the Fuji track, still have to brake earlier than i usually do because of how powerful the viper was. It is a challenge but meant to have fun while doing it. Cheers Snail :cheers: :) 👍

I didn’t get to try the combos out until Saturday and @TomMang_68 can attend to this, but I wasn’t raging upset with the combo choice but I felt like it wasn’t completely tested enough to have been chosen upset. It took me well over 2 hours of track time to really figure it out. I kept saying that there is absolutely no way that this car would drive like this ever. Though it had Race Hards the car would break them loose easily when slightly turning. Even though I felt like I had a handle I was still struggling to get the dang thing to turn. Where I am happy it’s gone, I am sad that it’s not around to do a little more fine tuning.

It’s my own fault for not testing more than I could but that’s life outside of this game. The combo was a difficult one and I actually found that I enjoyed it. (BTW, @Sean Renon put down some really nice laps in this combo, ON A CONTROLLER I might add, @Zalcecan laid down some blistering lap times as well!)

That all being said I think the formula is fine, some complained about the red bull junior as well. The formula works and there is no need to change it. But if there was a suggestion that can be made I would say in cases like the red bull junior, (odd and unique) we could provide an exception to the formula. Where it’s a car with high downforce, I haven’t looked this up but I bet the car was designed to have race tires on it. Maybe the viper was designed for sport tires, you can’t tell me that if you had the opportunity to put race tires on it that you wouldn’t. Red Bull on the other hand we wouldn’t be able to afford so we would never know.

I didn’t get to try the combos out until Saturday and @TomMang_68 can attend to this, but I wasn’t raging upset with the combo choice but I felt like it wasn’t completely tested enough to have been chosen upset. It took me well over 2 hours of track time to really figure it out. I kept saying that there is absolutely no way that this car would drive like this ever. Though it had Race Hards the car would break them loose easily when slightly turning. Even though I felt like I had a handle I was still struggling to get the dang thing to turn. Where I am happy it’s gone, I am sad that it’s not around to do a little more fine tuning.

It’s my own fault for not testing more than I could but that’s life outside of this game. The combo was a difficult one and I actually found that I enjoyed it. (BTW, @Sean Renon put down some really nice laps in this combo, ON A CONTROLLER I might add, @Zalcecan laid down some blistering lap times as well!)

That all being said I think the formula is fine, some complained about the red bull junior as well. The formula works and there is no need to change it. But if there was a suggestion that can be made I would say in cases like the red bull junior, (odd and unique) we could provide an exception to the formula. Where it’s a car with high downforce, I haven’t looked this up but I bet the car was designed to have race tires on it. Maybe the viper was designed for sport tires, you can’t tell me that if you had the opportunity to put race tires on it that you wouldn’t. Red Bull on the other hand we wouldn’t be able to afford so we would never know.
Lmao I believe the quote was I'm going to hit the lottery buy this stupid car and take it to this track to prove it is not this bad :)

@Neutty Your nickname could be "Raging Al" :lol::mad:

Its a different experience for everyone as some one stated before.

Last night, I practied only a recklessly low 10 minutes or so for my 1st runs with the Viper, & very late on, having never ran it before. (half an hour before the races began, which puts the other drivers at risk if I make errors)
-At that point, driving clean takes priority from speed, so not to ruin it for others.:scared:;)

The last minute practice seemed futile and worthless because I came nowhere near a clean lap during it, but in reality that small bit of warm up & feeling out was all I needed to compete closely & have fun racing when it counted.

Without the late 10 minutes calibration time I spared, surely I would not have been able to learn quickly enough through qualifying & the races to even keep that Viper on track. Just shows every little bit of effort counts.

Last night, I practied only a recklessly low 10 minutes or so for my 1st runs with the Viper, & very late on, having never ran it before. (half an hour before the races began, which puts the other drivers at risk if I make errors)
-At that point, driving clean takes priority from speed, so not to ruin it for others.:scared:;)

The last minute practice seemed futile and worthless because I came nowhere near a clean lap during it, but in reality that small bit of warm up & feeling out was all I needed to compete closely & have fun racing when it counted.

Without the late 10 minutes calibration time I spared, surely I would not have been able to learn quickly enough through qualifying & the races to even keep that Viper on track. Just shows every little bit of effort counts.
You're saying having your first lap around the combo be your out lap for the quali isn't a good idea? I need to go rethink some things...

Thats awesome to re-watch again Gunny. Its great you have all those old streams, especially since you could only stream back then with a capture card. Nowadays its super easy and convenient to hit a button on your PS4 controller and your live to the world. With so many current SNAILS streaming it'll be great to watch them again for years to come.

We could start by keeping street tires on street cars and race tires on race cars. The slip angle allowed by the tire should match the car's intended driving dynamics.
Sounds like you almost have a formula there. Couldn’t this rule be applied after the tire formula?

Raging is getting better!! Working on that. Trying to remember it’s a game

Here are the unofficial results from our league night on October 14, 2018

Click here for this season's points standings and click a tab at the bottom for more detail.

Click here if the data linked above has already been archived and you would like to view it.

Division 1
  1. MikeGrove --------- voted to eliminate Round 2 - 89 (74.05 for prize purposes only)
  2. Neuttyy ----------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  3. todally_lit_ ------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  4. src_ej6 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  5. MalevolentFather -- voted to eliminate Round 1
  6. zALCe_7_TME_4 ----- voted to eliminate Round 2
  7. M1SS-D3V10US ------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  8. MSgtGunny --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  9. Nic-KL ------------ voted to eliminate Round 3
Division 2
  1. Grandpas_Money ---- voted to eliminate Round 2 - 79 (82.16 for Prize C)
  2. Jw_wk1010 --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  3. Rednose58 --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  4. Kgffty ------------ voted to eliminate Round 3
  5. II-NOVA-II -------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  6. Herimopp89 -------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  7. rkzjb04 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  8. Slydewayz43 ------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  9. soundtiger95 ------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  10. RacingOtaku86 ----- voted to eliminate Round 2
  11. OMG_mang ---------- voted to eliminate Round 1
Division 3
  1. Harry_Rowley_10 --- voted to eliminate Round 2 - 91 (94.64 for Prize A)
  2. Thrash_46 --------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  3. DUB-L-DEE --------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  4. stomp44two -------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  5. AdamK3190 --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  6. Raw10_2u ---------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  7. TheSlow86 --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  8. TEX36 ------------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  9. N38824jr ---------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  10. Stelephant -------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  11. Rogue_Clone ------- voted to eliminate Round 1
Division 4
  1. McTrucker000 ------ voted to eliminate Round 2 - 84.1 (91.50 for Prize B)
  2. RacingChamp30 ----- voted to eliminate Round 2
  3. Bologna_Duc ------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  4. COL_KLINK01 ------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  5. gulfvet67 --------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  6. TexasmostHated ---- voted to eliminate Round 3
  7. JamCar0ne --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  8. Tec1347 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  9. nog3861 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  10. Se42s0si ---------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  11. Skills_19657 ------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  12. Alexrider007 ------ voted to eliminate Round 3
The round that received the most elimination votes was:
Round 3 - DODGE VIPER GTS 2013 (RH) at Fuji Speedway F - 12:00 Fine Weather (6 laps)
Therefore the entire combo has been dropped from next week's line-up. Since @Harry Rowley wins Prize A, he gets to choose an entirely new car and track combo to replace it.

The round that received the second most elimination votes was:
Round 2 - BMW M3 GT BMW MOTORSPORT 2011 (RH) at Autodrome Lago Maggiore - West II - 05:00 Clear (8 laps)
This means either the car or the track will be replaced for next week's line-up. Since @McTrucker gets Prize B, he has the option to freeze the car or the track, or he can give that option to the Prize C winner. If he gives the freeze away, then he gets to decide what car or track replaces the part of the combo that is left unfrozen by the Prize C winner.

Prize C goes to @Grandpa Money so he gets whichever option the Prize B winner does not select.

Preliminary prize winners, please don't announce your prize selection until all incident reports have been filed and it has been confirmed that you don't have any penalties. It's also recommended that you review the SNAIL combo history and other data on our car and track history so that you can get an idea how many times we've raced each car and track. Please remember that originality is always appreciated, so picking cars and tracks that we've never raced is a plus (but not required). What's more important is that you thoroughly test any combo that you are considering before making it your official selection. For example, any car you select should not hit its rev limiter at any point during a race (even in the draft).

IMPORTANT: When posting your Prize A or Prize B selection, please list the complete in-game name of the car and/or track you are selecting. For example, if you want to select the Amuse Superlegara for your car, post "Amuse Nismo 380 RS Superlagara". If you want to select Monza for a track, post "Autodromo Nazionale Monza". This makes it much easier for the lineup to be updated accurately and also prevents confusing other league members as to which car or track you are selecting. Also, please be sure to list the PP and HP (after oil change) of any car you select.

Car Selection Guidelines
See Section 3 of the SNAIL OLR, Policies and Guidelines.

Track Selection Guidelines
See Section 3.1 of the SNAIL OLR, Policies and Guidelines

Back