◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,777 comments
Attention Fanatec users!!!
Ok I'm seriously looking at the CSL Elite Starter Kit but after reading a mix of reviews I have some questions....

1). My current setup is the Thrustmaster T300RS GT with upgraded T3PA Pro pedals. Would this Fanatec starter kit be a huge upgrade from what I have, or would it be an upgrade at all?

2). This starter kit is obviously entry level so can it be upgraded significantly or is it pretty limited?(Can I turn this into a top tier Fanatec wheel?)

3). This starter kit would be stretching my set-up budget to the max, so should I pull the trigger now or continue to use my current wheel and save up for another year to get a better Fanatec wheel?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.

Ok I'm seriously looking at the CSL Elite Starter Kit but after reading a mix of reviews I have some questions....

1). My current setup is the Thrustmaster T300RS GT with upgraded T3PA Pro pedals. Would this Fanatec starter kit be a huge upgrade from what I have, or would it be an upgrade at all?

2). This starter kit is obviously entry level so can it be upgraded significantly or is it pretty limited?(Can I turn this into a top tier Fanatec wheel?)

3). This starter kit would be stretching my set-up budget to the max, so should I pull the trigger now or continue to use my current wheel and save up for another year to get a better Fanatec wheel?

Thanks all.

Last spring I made the above transition, exactly. I had a T300RS GT wheel and T3PA pedals (not Pro). The wheel was not calibrating properly. I didn't have a windows computer so no updates available. I panicked. What if it dies amid COVID lockdown? So I bought the Fanatec CSL elite wheel and pedals and added the load cell brake pedal. In hindsight I suspect the Thrustmaster only needed a firmware update.

What I've found:
1) The biggest 'Pro' is the load cell. I've moved to the stiffest spacers and the brake now has positive feel and I believe has improved my braking ability.
2) I like that I can make adjustments to the wheel in game, most notably the degrees of rotation lock to lock.
3) The wheel diameter is slightly larger which I like.
4) Fit and finish on the Fanatec is superior. The wheel mount system on the Thrustmaster seemed more robust, though.
5) The D-pad of the Thrustmaster is replaced with a joy stick. Less robust? Time will tell.
6) The Fanatec wheel has a gear change light bar on the housing that I found distracting and have since covered in electrical tape.
7) Price. Fanatec = 2x Thrustmaster.

Did I like the Thrustmaster? Yes.
Am I happy with the Fanatec? Yes. LC best feature.
Would I do this again? Yes. (If the Thrustmaster was really broken) No. (If the Thrustmaster wasn't broken). I've given my brother the old Thrustmaster, but he hasn't got it up and running yet to see if my switch was necessary.
Hope this helps.

Thanks all.
Cruise Youtube and search CSL Elite vs Thrustmaster. To save you time...the CSL Elite is a better setup IF you can afford it. If you are on a lower budget then the Thrustmaster will serve you well. But if you can afford it, and it looks like you can, get the Fanatec ;)

Last edited:

-Others have answered.
-CSL Elite base is good. Although it would suffice as a top tier IMO, Fanatec doesn’t adapt the software to be able to use [all] the wheels available. (It can get complicated and would be better to live chat to cover this topic).

-Better? You mean jump to the top F1 DD1. Remember, there are only these 2 for PS. (Don’t be tempted to use the Drivehub. Many do but Sony tries to make it difficult.)
Thanks all.
Answers within your message. Additionally, I recommend the V3 pedals instead of the other choice. You will never be disappointed. So if you have to save up, do so. When you eventually get them, we have to have another discussion. Nearly everyone coming from Thrustmaster and Logitech make the same mistake in using the new “high end” brake pedal. I’m not exempt, I did too. The short explanation is, you will dumb them down to what you’ve always known and used. Yes, they have a better feel, but there’s so much more to be had.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback and will be researching the heck out of it before I do anything.
Great to hear from first hand experience.

Last edited:
Nearly everyone coming from Thrustmaster and Logitech make the same mistake in using the new “high end” brake pedal. I’m not exempt, I did too. The short explanation is, you will dumb them down to what you’ve always known and used. Yes, they have a better feel, but there’s so much more to be had.

If this applies to the CSL Elite LC kit I'm interested in what you mean.

Thanks all.

I upgraded from the original T300RS when it shipped with only two pedals as standard. After multiple issues with it ranging from non-calibrating to clunks, crunches, squeaks, and a warranty exchanged the entire system, enough was enough.

Purchased the Fanatec CSL Elite during a black Friday sale (you may want to consider waiting until Thanksgiving to take advantage of the Black Friday sales to help with your budget). The setup I ordered was the CSL Elite with V3i pedals, but at the time the pedals were on back order around a 5 month wait. So used the Fanatec base two pedal (non-LC) for the interim. Was really impressed with the two pedal unit, solid build quality, good feel and even had a little foam bumper behind the brake pedal. Probably about on par with the T3PA pedals although I've never used the T3PAs.

The overall build quality and adjustability of the Fanatec system is far better than the T300RS and you will not be disappointed.

Bottom line, if your Thrustmaster is working reliably now, and budget is an issue, start researching but wait until the next Black Friday sale and get what you want for a much better price.

Nearly everyone coming from Thrustmaster and Logitech make the same mistake in using the new “high end” brake pedal. I’m not exempt, I did too. The short explanation is, you will dumb them down to what you’ve always known and used. Yes, they have a better feel, but there’s so much more to be had.

You've sparked my curiosity, can you give more details on what you mean?

If this applies to the CSL Elite LC kit I'm interested in what you mean.

I upgraded from the original T300RS when it shipped with only two pedals as standard. After multiple issues with it ranging from non-calibrating to clunks, crunches, squeaks, and a warranty exchanged the entire system, enough was enough.

Purchased the Fanatec CSL Elite during a black Friday sale (you may want to consider waiting until Thanksgiving to take advantage of the Black Friday sales to help with your budget). The setup I ordered was the CSL Elite with V3i pedals, but at the time the pedals were on back order around a 5 month wait. So used the Fanatec base two pedal (non-LC) for the interim. Was really impressed with the two pedal unit, solid build quality, good feel and even had a little foam bumper behind the brake pedal. Probably about on par with the T3PA pedals although I've never used the T3PAs.

The overall build quality and adjustability of the Fanatec system is far better than the T300RS and you will not be disappointed.

Bottom line, if your Thrustmaster is working reliably now, and budget is an issue, start researching but wait until the next Black Friday sale and get what you want for a much better price.

You've sparked my curiosity, can you give more details on what you mean?
Simply put, the V3 and V3i have 90kg load cell. Most are not comfortable using that much force. Higher levels of brake force provide you with much more feel. It particularly makes driving without ABS doable (and very rewarding).

Simply put, the V3 and V3i have 90kg load cell. Most are not comfortable using that much force. Higher levels of brake force provide you with much more feel. It particularly makes driving without ABS doable (and very rewarding).

What do you set the Brake Force setting to on the wheel? Do you go super stiff is a low number, but how low are you talking

Last edited:
What do you set the Brake Force setting to on the wheel? Do you go super stiff is a low number, but how low are you talking
The in-menu tuning for brake force, (high to low) was set 0-100 in older software versions but currently, it’s set 100-0. To avoid confusion, I’ll write in terms of kg-force where 90 kg is the maximum. 77 or 78 kg for max braking force is where I’ve settled for most driving (I’m assuming the adjustment range behaves linear). With ABS [crutch on], you can get by with much less (what I referred to as dumbing down). Please note, while I consider ABS as a mask on driving pleasure, the dumbing down refers to utilizing a low brake force. For ABS “off” driving, I usually increase the brake force between 81 and max, depending on the car’s behavior. Bias is far more pertinent when ABS is off.

Edit: I was very skeptical of this when presented to me (years ago). As I tested and became acclimated, my skepticism turned to conviction.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share some pics of our setups in this household....... @CdnSweetTee has the rig with the red/black seat and she even has arm rests:cool:

I'll be spending tomorrow hiding all the wires and making it look a little cleaner.:banghead:

The last pic is a of the Gran Turismo die cast cars I've found over the last few years. (I have a bit of a problem with collecting die casts...have close to 2000 +/-)

View attachment 987575
View attachment 987576 View attachment 987577 View attachment 987578
Who's OCD?

The official combos have not been posted yet have they?

The selections have been made. They have just not been combined and posted as of yet. The posts are quoted below.

Prize A selection:

Ferrari 512 BB ‘76
N400
354 HP. 3086 lbs
Circuit de St. Croix - A
4 laps. Mid div time 3:40 ish

@JLBowler @zer05ive

When someone quotes something and then you quote their post, the original that they quoted doesn't show up. Anyway, here is the selection for prize b, car.

NISSAN XANAVI NISMO GT-R 2008 on RH Tires
Gr. 2
494 HP. 2,425 Lbs

Was doing low 1:27s

@Timlour @JLBowler

Last edited:
Just a reminder official Thursday practice will be open at 9 PM EST.

I have to leave at 11 EST which is right around the time we'd be switching to combo 3, so someone else will have to take it over from there
I can try to get in the lobby right after you to then be the 2nd host. My account attracts a lot of attention from other drivers.

Can we please approve the Nerdturdring? 💡 It’s a fan favorite and the total times for snail wouldn’t be too long for 2 laps with most cars.

Brands hatch and others like Tokyo central are far more difficult/dangerous to overtake on. Nerdturdring in snail would be a great way to spice :yuck: things up before GT7.

Just wanted to share some pics of our setups in this household....... @CdnSweetTee has the rig with the red/black seat and she even has arm rests:cool:

I'll be spending tomorrow hiding all the wires and making it look a little cleaner.:banghead:

The last pic is a of the Gran Turismo die cast cars I've found over the last few years. (I have a bit of a problem with collecting die casts...have close to 2000 +/-)

View attachment 987575
View attachment 987576 View attachment 987577 View attachment 987578

That is awesome, not only the rig but that your girl likes to drive.... that is priceless.

Lobby is full as of right now and it's only been up for 7 minutes.

If you can't get in and don't want to wait for a spot to open feel free to host an overflow room and post the id here

Just saw this on the GTSport site.

This will obviously affect Sunday nights racing, unless I'm reading it wrong. Hopefully we can work around it to get our races in???
Sunday Maintenance.jpg

Last edited:
There’s been some discussion about brake pedal force in recent posts. Brake discussion makes for a good Segway for the no ABS series that is starting this Monday (every other Monday night). Don’t dismiss your participation before trying the Fugu Z. Beware however, that this driving is addictive and will deepen your love of car control. Sign up as reserve if you’re on the fence! You won’t be disappointed!
D8E59BB3-2C3A-454D-B566-40A51E66C725.jpeg

Back