Open ◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Presented by ButtKicker: Feel What You've Been Missing

Discussion in 'SNAIL Racing League' started by zer05ive, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Answers within your message. Additionally, I recommend the V3 pedals instead of the other choice. You will never be disappointed. So if you have to save up, do so. When you eventually get them, we have to have another discussion. Nearly everyone coming from Thrustmaster and Logitech make the same mistake in using the new “high end” brake pedal. I’m not exempt, I did too. The short explanation is, you will dumb them down to what you’ve always known and used. Yes, they have a better feel, but there’s so much more to be had.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    DublDee likes this.
  2. DublDee

DublDee

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback and will be researching the heck out of it before I do anything.
    Great to hear from first hand experience.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  3. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

@DublDee I’ve updated the above. Please talk @CdnSweetTee into the ABS series. The Fugu Z is extraordinary without ABS. At least talk her into taking it for a test drive.

4. DublDee

DublDee

Lol, I’ll talk to her and get her to at least take it for a spin. She transitioned from auto to manual quite easily so ya never know.

TEX36 likes this.
  5. Timlour

Timlour

DublDee and Akzl298 like this.
  6. CANOWORMS1

CANOWORMS1

If this applies to the CSL Elite LC kit I'm interested in what you mean.

7. JamCar0ne

JamCar0ne Premium

I upgraded from the original T300RS when it shipped with only two pedals as standard. After multiple issues with it ranging from non-calibrating to clunks, crunches, squeaks, and a warranty exchanged the entire system, enough was enough.

Purchased the Fanatec CSL Elite during a black Friday sale (you may want to consider waiting until Thanksgiving to take advantage of the Black Friday sales to help with your budget). The setup I ordered was the CSL Elite with V3i pedals, but at the time the pedals were on back order around a 5 month wait. So used the Fanatec base two pedal (non-LC) for the interim. Was really impressed with the two pedal unit, solid build quality, good feel and even had a little foam bumper behind the brake pedal. Probably about on par with the T3PA pedals although I've never used the T3PAs.

The overall build quality and adjustability of the Fanatec system is far better than the T300RS and you will not be disappointed.

Bottom line, if your Thrustmaster is working reliably now, and budget is an issue, start researching but wait until the next Black Friday sale and get what you want for a much better price.

You've sparked my curiosity, can you give more details on what you mean?

DublDee likes this.
  8. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Simply put, the V3 and V3i have 90kg load cell. Most are not comfortable using that much force. Higher levels of brake force provide you with much more feel. It particularly makes driving without ABS doable (and very rewarding).

DublDee likes this.
  9. JamCar0ne

JamCar0ne Premium

What do you set the Brake Force setting to on the wheel? Do you go super stiff is a low number, but how low are you talking

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  10. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

The in-menu tuning for brake force, (high to low) was set 0-100 in older software versions but currently, it’s set 100-0. To avoid confusion, I’ll write in terms of kg-force where 90 kg is the maximum. 77 or 78 kg for max braking force is where I’ve settled for most driving (I’m assuming the adjustment range behaves linear). With ABS [crutch on], you can get by with much less (what I referred to as dumbing down). Please note, while I consider ABS as a mask on driving pleasure, the dumbing down refers to utilizing a low brake force. For ABS “off” driving, I usually increase the brake force between 81 and max, depending on the car’s behavior. Bias is far more pertinent when ABS is off.

Edit: I was very skeptical of this when presented to me (years ago). As I tested and became acclimated, my skepticism turned to conviction.

DublDee and JamCar0ne like this.
  11. Xradkins

Xradkins

Who's OCD?

CANOWORMS1 and DublDee like this.
  12. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

Just a reminder official Thursday practice will be open at 9 PM EST.

I have to leave at 11 EST which is right around the time we'd be switching to combo 3, so someone else will have to take it over from there

13. IceWarden

IceWarden

The official combos have not been posted yet have they?

MikeGrove, notime72 and gatordaryl like this.
  14. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

The selections have been made. They have just not been combined and posted as of yet. The posts are quoted below.

When someone quotes something and then you quote their post, the original that they quoted doesn't show up. Anyway, here is the selection for prize b, car.

NISSAN XANAVI NISMO GT-R 2008 on RH Tires
    Gr. 2
    494 HP. 2,425 Lbs

Was doing low 1:27s

@Timlour @JLBowler

MikeGrove likes this.
  15. MikeGrove

MikeGrove

I can try to get in the lobby right after you to then be the 2nd host. My account attracts a lot of attention from other drivers.

Can we please approve the Nerdturdring? :idea: It’s a fan favorite and the total times for snail wouldn’t be too long for 2 laps with most cars.

Brands hatch and others like Tokyo central are far more difficult/dangerous to overtake on. Nerdturdring in snail would be a great way to spice :yuck: things up before GT7.

Rob Brown and DublDee like this.
  16. Noob01_lmdead

Noob01_lmdead

That is awesome, not only the rig but that your girl likes to drive.... that is priceless.

17. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

Official prac lobby

0475-4231-7812-4250-2212

DublDee likes this.
  18. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

Lobby is full as of right now and it's only been up for 7 minutes.

If you can't get in and don't want to wait for a spot to open feel free to host an overflow room and post the id here

19. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

Lobby just crashed for me. Rehosting

Stream:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    DublDee and llNovall like this.
  20. Rednose58

Rednose58

I must have forgotten to press the "Post Reply" button.

Always look here to see the latest updates if you can't find it in the thread.

Phlano099 likes this.
  21. DublDee

DublDee

Just saw this on the GTSport site.

This will obviously affect Sunday nights racing, unless I'm reading it wrong. Hopefully we can work around it to get our races in???
    Sunday Maintenance.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  22. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Discussion started with the BoD.

Timlour, DublDee and llNovall like this.
  23. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

These custom shoes really look nice. They are probably a little heavier than socks but lighter than racing shoes. Shoe price seems respectable but I thought the gloves were a bit expensive.
    custom shoes/gloves

DublDee likes this.
  24. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

There’s been some discussion about brake pedal force in recent posts. Brake discussion makes for a good Segway for the no ABS series that is starting this Monday (every other Monday night). Don’t dismiss your participation before trying the Fugu Z. Beware however, that this driving is addictive and will deepen your love of car control. Sign up as reserve if you’re on the fence! You won’t be disappointed!
    D8E59BB3-2C3A-454D-B566-40A51E66C725.jpeg

llNovall, IceWarden, DublDee and 4 others like this.
  25. IceWarden

IceWarden

Look at those beautiful liveries...

DublDee and Phlano099 like this.
  26. FREEREVN

FREEREVN Premium

Omg this fanetec csl elite is the bomb and yes got it early than expected

27. LST

LST

I hate to do this because attendance has been so low in D1 lately but the snow is looking too good in Tahoe this weekend so I'll be absent this Sunday. Have a good night of racing everyone.

Phlano099, Kgffy, Rob Brown and 4 others like this.
  28. Akzl298

Akzl298

Guess we'll just have to drive faster...

Rob Brown likes this.
  29. CANOWORMS1

CANOWORMS1

Thanks a lot @Rob Brown now I need a new driving rig. lol. I checked into my brake pedal force settings and sure as sh/t I have the setting at 30%. And I have a reason (albeit a weak one). I use a wheel stand with an office chair strapped to it. With high brake pedal pressures the whole set-up flexes beyond belief and I have to pull on the wheel to prevent the stand from tipping forward and the chair back flexes into a recliner. I understand that a bigger range of pedal pressures required equals a better feel for brake application. I'm going to start by trying to stiffen my existing rig, as an improved rig would require a relocation of my setup, not easy. At least now I have a new excuse for my poor lap times. lol

Rob Brown likes this.
  30. gatordaryl

gatordaryl

Just curious - any update on the start time for tomorrow’s race night? If we started at 5:30pm PST/8:30pm EST, wouldn’t we be done in time, before the maintenance?