◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,790 comments
Nearly everyone coming from Thrustmaster and Logitech make the same mistake in using the new “high end” brake pedal. I’m not exempt, I did too. The short explanation is, you will dumb them down to what you’ve always known and used

Simply put, the V3 and V3i have 90kg load cell. Most are not comfortable using that much force. Higher levels of brake force provide you with much more feel. It particularly makes driving without ABS doable (and very rewarding).

Thanks a lot @Rob Brown now I need a new driving rig. lol. I checked into my brake pedal force settings and sure as sh/t I have the setting at 30%. And I have a reason (albeit a weak one). I use a wheel stand with an office chair strapped to it. With high brake pedal pressures the whole set-up flexes beyond belief and I have to pull on the wheel to prevent the stand from tipping forward and the chair back flexes into a recliner. I understand that a bigger range of pedal pressures required equals a better feel for brake application. I'm going to start by trying to stiffen my existing rig, as an improved rig would require a relocation of my setup, not easy. At least now I have a new excuse for my poor lap times. lol

Thanks a lot @Rob Brown now I need a new driving rig. lol. I checked into my brake pedal force settings and sure as sh/t I have the setting at 30%. And I have a reason (albeit a weak one). I use a wheel stand with an office chair strapped to it. With high brake pedal pressures the whole set-up flexes beyond belief and I have to pull on the wheel to prevent the stand from tipping forward and the chair back flexes into a recliner. I understand that a bigger range of pedal pressures required equals a better feel for brake application. I'm going to start by trying to stiffen my existing rig, as an improved rig would require a relocation of my setup, not easy. At least now I have a new excuse for my poor lap times. lol
You’re welcome. I shared a link some time ago) to a YouTube video where a guy explained this concept quite eloquently. Now, if I could find it . . .

Thanks a lot @Rob Brown now I need a new driving rig. lol. I checked into my brake pedal force settings and sure as sh/t I have the setting at 30%. And I have a reason (albeit a weak one). I use a wheel stand with an office chair strapped to it. With high brake pedal pressures the whole set-up flexes beyond belief

You’re welcome.

Below is a photo of my original rig. Initially I tried higher brake force settings on the wheel. However, anything above 30% caused it to flex amazingly. The only thing holding the wheel stand to the chair are 2 straps at the bottom. If you draw a straight line from brake pedal through a$$, to seat back you can see the only way to keep the thing together under heavy pedal pressure is to yard on the wheel with equal or greater force. Not sure if the Fanatec is rated for this purpose.

Solution: Stiffer rig. After some browsing I came up with what looks pretty boffo to me:

(Monster Truck rally announcer voice) THE TRAK RACER TR8 MACH 3 COCKPIT WITH MONITOR STAND.

After a quick confab with the CFO about the payback schedule...and then a quick trip to Canadian Tire for a ratcheting cargo strap, we have today's compromise. Besides where would I put THE TRAK RACER TR8 MACH 3 COCKPIT WITH MONITOR STAND?

I'm actually quite impressed. The only flex in the rig now is the pedal base plate.

Fastest Lap Rankings have been updated, along with the other 3 pages in the 2021 Additional Data sheet.

edit
SNAIL 2021 Additional Data - Google Sheets

Last edited:
upload_2021-1-31_11-59-47.png

• The January 2021 Season has been archived. Thanks to all volunteers who entered scores, data and reviewed incidents. Summary standings inside the spoiler here
  • The Snail Sunday scoring Sheets for Jan 3 have been prepared.

REMEMBER WE START RACING AT 8:30 PM Eastern Time tonight (Lobbies open at 8:00 PM) because of the server maintenance

All hosts should start tonight's racing at the scheduled time. The only reason to hold the start is to give someone who was already in the lobby their three minutes to return from the time they left, provided they are believed to have been disconnected, or to sort invisible driver issues.

I would say, it's nice getting done around 10:30pm. Unfortunately, won't be able to keep the Mrs. happy for long if it would be permanent. Part of the perk starting so late (9:30pm), no wife or kids

Back