◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,416 comments
Newbie question, is everyone still supposed to be assigned a color, and number? I keep reading so I have to ask less, but somethings that were true with GT6, may have been dropped. Some old links are dead, some others seem out of date. Right now, reading pages newer to older. I'm an old dog, this is a new trick. Please bear with me, I wont poop on the rug.

Before the livery editor and even before number plates were added to GT6, we would simple have body and wheel color. Sure some people might have the same color or too close to notice in different divisions but since they wouldn't race each other there would be no confusion. Then number plates were added and while it was still advised to try to use a color very different from anyone else in your division, it didn't matter as much since we now had numbers to immediately tell who's who. It was never mandatory but from a friendly point of view one was encouraged to as it minimizes confusion.

Right now you can't remove driver names from cars on track so there's no confusion about who's who. If they give the option to remove that then we might have to set some guidelines. I know people like using different liveries but if we keep a number plate on top of that then it should be no problem.

Anyway, do whatever you want. Here's my NSX:

d6zmyhp.jpg

Newbie question, is everyone still supposed to be assigned a color, and number? I keep reading so I have to ask less, but somethings that were true with GT6, may have been dropped. Some old links are dead, some others seem out of date. Right now, reading pages newer to older. I'm an old dog, this is a new trick. Please bear with me, I wont poop on the rug.
Picking a number and color has never been a requirement. The list was started simply as a way to track those that wanted to do so, and allow them to see who was running what to avoid being similar.

How do you get things on the side of the rear wing without it stretching onto the wing top? I'm having trouble with that and I just want the sides to be white with the rest black

Regarding the Number Plates, I have noticed that GTS changes the numbers at some point prior to a race - or in the order that we enter the Race Room.

That's why I am putting 36 on the front and rear of my American Racing liveries.

Last edited:
How do you get things on the side of the rear wing without it stretching onto the wing top? I'm having trouble with that and I just want the sides to be white with the rest black

Yes, if you write on the side it spills over on the top of the wing. Fix it by putting a decal the colour of the wing on top of it...

Yes, if you write on the side it spills over on the top of the wing. Fix it by putting a decal the colour of the wing on top of it...
Or change the depth and angle limit into a negitive number and that will do the same.
I do it because I can keep the bare carbon wing visable.

I just spent the better part of the last two hours making the front end of my Gulf livery for the Mustang and after looking at it from a distance I have to scrap this part I tried to go around the front fender. Everything else is spot on so I'll come back to it tomorrow. This is crazy how much time you can sink into a livery.

Last edited:
Regarding the Number Plates, I have noticed that GTS changes the numbers at some point prior to a race - or in the order that we enter the Race Room.

That's why I am putting 36 on the front and rear of my American Racing liveries.

Have you used the car in one of the sport races? GTS puts a number on your car when you run a sport race. Only way I have found to remove that number is through the livery editor.

I just spent the better part of the last two hours making the front end of my Gulf livery for the Mustang and after looking at it from a distance I have to scrap this part I tried to go around the front fender. Everything else is spot on so I'll come back to it tomorrow. This is crazy how much time you can sink into a livery.

The fact that some of you guys are doing it on a weekly basis is impressive.

Have you used the car in one of the sport races? GTS puts a number on your car when you run a sport race. Only way I have found to remove that number is through the livery editor.

Yes, in the Daily Races is where I first noticed the number being changed. Wonder if the DR puts a number on the doors even without a Plate? Didn't notice if it happens on Sunday nights.

Do you mean, take off the Number Plate and just put the number on the door without a GT frame?

That would certainly give more freedom in designing and layout of the sides of the car.

What about the Hood? I haven't discovered how to rotate the images as yet. I tried the suggested functions at the bottom of the editing screen, but nothing happens.

Yes, in the Daily Races is where I first noticed the number being changed. Wonder if the DR puts a number on the doors even without a Plate? Didn't notice if it happens on Sunday nights.

Do you mean, take off the Number Plate and just put the number on the door without a GT frame?

That would certainly give more freedom in designing and layout of the sides of the car.

What about the Hood? I haven't discovered how to rotate the images as yet. I tried the suggested functions at the bottom of the editing screen, but nothing happens.

I use the DS4 controller to do my liveries and to rotate decals its the L2 and R2 triggers. You can also skew the decals by holding L1 and moving the thumbsticks.

@Lessen, my gawds man! I just checked out your rig build. Very nice work man. Professional AF. As a hobbyist wood worker I tip my hat to you. How many hours did you put into that?

The number it picks for sport races is basically the place you have to beat in order to increase your driver ranking. Place lower and it'll lower your ranking. I have no idea how they calculate it. If you look at the 'lonely dude in the garage' picture while matching, the number will already be there.

Rotate is two of the four triggers... upper ones I think.

The number it picks for sport races is basically the place you have to beat in order to increase your driver ranking. Place lower and it'll lower your ranking. I have no idea how they calculate it. If you look at the 'lonely dude in the garage' picture while matching, the number will already be there.

Rotate is two of the four triggers... upper ones I think.
It’s the lower

@Lessen, my gawds man! I just checked out your rig build. Very nice work man. Professional AF. As a hobbyist wood worker I tip my hat to you. How many hours did you put into that?

I'm not really sure. I'm sure lot. Looking at the img dates, it looks like I spent 2 months getting it to the point it is now.

The Daily Races put a number (and plate) on your car even if you do or don't have one already. Only way I have found to get rid of it is to go into the livery editor and make a change to the livery and save/apply to car. If your design is complete, add/remove a little sticker. You just have to make a change is all. The game always puts the number plate in the same location, which is good to know when designing a livery.

Rotate the decals with the L2/R2 triggers on the DS4.

Is this confirmed? Never paid attention if the number is present in the garage while matching is taking place. Thought the number was where you placed on the list when first matched in a race (prior to sorting by qualifying time). Sort of a 'how you rank' amoung the other drivers in the room. But if it is the place I need to finish above... need to pay attention to this now.

Is this confirmed? Never paid attention if the number is present in the garage while matching is taking place. Thought the number was where you placed on the list when first matched in a race (prior to sorting by qualifying time). Sort of a 'how you rank' amoung the other drivers in the room. But if it is the place I need to finish above... need to pay attention to this now.

Probably about 75% confirmed... Nothing official, but there's pretty good evidence of it from Reddittors experimenting. Here's what we know: The number matches where you are in the first grid that shows up after matching... this is independent of qualifying time. The number is on your door on the race, in the garage for the loading screen and on your helmet in the loading screen. Since the loading screen is shown fairly quickly, this is assigned as soon as your group is calculated, but probably before the system checks lap times for everyone and figures out actual grid placement.

I know that when I race at 2am, I'm matched with idiots and I'm almost always given a very low number, even when I don't run a qualifying lap and am placed at the back of the pack. I'm almost guaranteed not to increase my rating unless I can start close to the pole position. When I'm matched with lots of A and B players during normal daylight hours(I'm a D... I be slow, but polite), my door number is almost always near the tail end and I'm at the bottom of the "first" matching table that shows up. The "gauge" for driver rating isn't enough to see point changes every race, but when I can consistently place higher than my number, I creep up. When I consistently place lower than my assigned number, I'll drop in rating. There are other anecdotal tales like that, but nothing real concrete yet.

Back