◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,772 comments
Who wants my autograph? :P

KeepCalm_zpst8mpuihq.jpg

Last night the fast guys ran in the 1:57.xxx. With the offset start and finish lines the first lap is more or less the same as the fast laps.

So, with practice the slow d2 and fast d3 will manage to get into the 1:59's on a consistent basis. The secret is not to push this car. Lift and coast through the corners, gear down as you enter to help with the rotation, lift or gear up when you go into over steer. It is better to lose a coupla seconds than to spin out.

At six laps D1 and D2 will be under 12 minutes. D3 might be under 12 but will most likely be over. D4 will be over 12 minutes

At 5 laps D1 and D2 will be under 10 minutes and D3 might be under 10 but most likely just over. D4 will be over 10 minutes

One of the reasons why we reduced the qually to a fixed 5 min (in most cases) was to make provision for exactly this scenario so we can do a little less qually and a little more racing

This is not much different than the Audi @ Indianapolis last week where 3 races were under 12 minutes and 5 were slightly over 12 minutes. I didn't hear any complaints about that.

Remember a "hot lap" is not and average lap time. Just because a driver can hit a 1:59 doesn't mean he hasnt driven a 2:01 or higher every other lap, not to mention running in a pack is usually slower then your hot lap times. I'm bottom of D2 and usually my hot lap time is almost 2 seconds behind a D1 time and there's no way I would be able to repeat that lap after lap. My guess is my lap time will be 2min+. Going to run some laps tonight and see if I can break 2min

At 5 laps D1 and D2 will be under 10 minutes and D3 might be under 10 but most likely just over. D4 will be over 10 minutes
This is how it was designed to work.

By your testimony, in either case, 2 divisions will be "breaking the rules" so, I reckon it's a wash.

I was thinking about racing this Sunday but since it's going to be so long in those last races, I don't think I can do it.... :mischievous::sly::P

Last night the fast guys ran in the 1:57.xxx. With the offset start and finish lines the first lap is more or less the same as the fast laps.

So, with practice the slow d2 and fast d3 will manage to get into the 1:59's on a consistent basis. The secret is not to push this car. Lift and coast through the corners, gear down as you enter to help with the rotation, lift or gear up when you go into over steer. It is better to lose a coupla seconds than to spin out.

At six laps D1 and D2 will be under 12 minutes. D3 might be under 12 but will most likely be over. D4 will be over 12 minutes

One of the reasons why we reduced the qually to a fixed 5 min (in most cases) was to make provision for exactly this scenario so we can do a little less qually and a little more racing

This is not much different than the Audi @ Indianapolis last week where 3 races were under 12 minutes and 5 were slightly over 12 minutes. I didn't hear any complaints about that.
@TomMang_68 and I ran a few races and our best was a 12:11. We were racing hard and switching back and forth 1st place. The PB for me was a 1:59.9. Hurrah for 6 laps!! this track needs a lot of laps:) But then again I think race night should be moved up to 9:15 and the 15 minute timer should be used for every division :) But I have no life and prefer enduro racing :)

I too would like it slightly longer but the Endurance Race setting would be detrimental depending on the track. Of course Nordschleife would have to remain off limits. What if we started at 9:00 and got ready at 8:30? Is that too early? Maybe not use the timer but set our rules at 15 minutes instead of 12.

I too would like it slightly longer but the Endurance Race setting would be detrimental depending on the track. Of course Nordschleife would have to remain off limits. What if we started at 9:00 and got ready at 8:30? Is that too early? Maybe not use the timer but set our rules at 15 minutes instead of 12.
8:30ET is too early. Speaking for myself I have kids to get into bed at 8:30. still opening at 9 and race start at 9:15 a lot of people don't show up until right before the races start do to it being "pointless to sit around for half an hour"

The reasoning why I'm suggesting the 15 minute timer is it takes away the guess work of figuring out the lap count. Some division would run more laps and some less but all races would be 15 minutes at least, in the event that someone decides to go smell the roses they can park in the last corner and when the timer is up drive to the finish line.

This is the biggest concern when it comes to snail as instead of a 90 second hard timer it can extend to over 4 minutes (le sarthe)
I would rather we start at 8:00 p.m. EST,That would be 5:00 p.m. left coast time.
ha ha ha um... no

Core values gentlemen. This is sprint racing and it's always been meant to fit into a two hour window. I'm with @USERID_77a23 here. I don't see any of that changing any time soon.

Race laps are not really open for discussion. I posted the math and I'll summarize it below. For what it's worth, @USERID_77a23 seems to have the best handle on the definitions of the terms I'm about to use.

Race laps are based on the average lap times from mid-division drivers. (notice I didn't say the fastest laps that a mid-division driver can run) 720 seconds is divided by that lap time in seconds and any decimal places are dropped and there you have the number of race laps. 10 minutes has nothing, let me repeat that, nothing, to do with how SNAIL calculates the number of race laps.

I would suggest looking at the race data from Thursday night practice and leaving open the possibility of adjusting laps from 6 to 5 before Sunday.

I have a question for the group.

If you've seen my wheel stand, it's just a night table with the drawer taken out and wood mounted on the sides to connect the four legs. One on each side and one on the front section. The whole thing is relatively light and with no weight on top it moves around when shaking the wheel vigorously. To counter this I have five cement bricks on top, adding up to ~50 pounds. This ensures the stand will not move no matter what, and I have the confidence to do anything with the wheel. However, these bricks take up some space and I'm looking to downsize. This brings my to my question. What can I get that is really heavy but doesn't take up a lot of space? Are there plate weights that weight a lot? All I could find from a basic search were traditional circle weights that go on a bar. They're too big. What can I do?

Yea, they cost lots of money. I'm looking at cheap solutions of course. I also don't have the space for a big dedicated rig. This allows me to pull my chair up when I need to and move it back when I'm not racing.

I have a question for the group.

If you've seen my wheel stand, it's just a night table with the drawer taken out and wood mounted on the sides to connect the four legs. One on each side and one on the front section. The whole thing is relatively light and with no weight on top it moves around when shaking the wheel vigorously. To counter this I have five cement bricks on top, adding up to ~50 pounds. This ensures the stand will not move no matter what, and I have the confidence to do anything with the wheel. However, these bricks take up some space and I'm looking to downsize. This brings my to my question. What can I get that is really heavy but doesn't take up a lot of space? Are there plate weights that weight a lot? All I could find from a basic search were traditional circle weights that go on a bar. They're too big. What can I do?

how about sand bags? They weight at least 22 pounds each, like this one:

sandbag2.jpg

I have no idea how much the sandbag cost, but I do know that plate weights like the ones on a gym are very expensive.

Back