◆ SNAIL [THE LOBANARO LOUNGE] No longer runningPS4 

• Thread starter aerolite
  • 7,567 comments
Well, well, well that was fast.
Dunno how soon if at all I will go the PC route if at all. Probably sooner rather than later as long as I can just buy something and plug it in. As always it comes back to time as much as money.

Until then, anyone who wants to still get together on Mondays raise your hands. My work schedule doesn't really allow me to host and organize a league on my own. But we leftovers can still get together for some laughs and racing. I'd like to focus on vintage stuff - no asissies. Maybe run a month of five weeks of the same cars, going to two different tracks each week. Semi-serious like we've been running.

I have a discord account, for whatever it's worth.

Dunno how soon if at all I will go the PC route if at all. Probably sooner rather than later as long as I can just buy something and plug it in. As always it comes back to time as much as money.

Until then, anyone who wants to still get together on Mondays raise your hands. My work schedule doesn't really allow me to host and organize a league on my own. But we leftovers can still get together for some laughs and racing. I'd like to focus on vintage stuff - no asissies. Maybe run a month of five weeks of the same cars, going to two different tracks each week. Semi-serious like we've been running.

Always welcome on Tuesday nights! ;)

@GTLehman Depending on how great you want the game to look, you can build a decent rig for around $500 to $800 dollars.

Here is the Email I sent to Sgeti and Red. If you cant click the link then just cut and paste. I will add more budget conscience builds to this post.

This is the 1st list with the case that I have. Although it is expensive, it has great air flow. The video card is a 2070 Super. To let you know, I am found of Asus and EVGA.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=cTRsLk

Same as above with a 5700XT video card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=HR6Mbv

This has the B550 chipset with a 5700XT

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=sMgXyc

This is the B550 chipset with the 5700XT and my processor the 3700X

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=39p9rH

Intel build with a Asrock MB and a 2070 Super. I used a different corsair case that will provide good airflow, but is cheaper. Also the power supply is cheaper as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=XQYcbv

Same build as above with a Asus ROG Stryx 5700XT with a higher boost clock then the EVGA in the other builds.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=96dnt6

Here is a Intel build using the new L1200 socket (CPU socket) and a 10900K processor with the Ausu stryx 5700XT. This is the latest and greatest from Intel.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=Kfj4sY

Here is a budget build using an AMD 3600 and a 1660 TI video card. It should give good frame rates at 1080P with medium settings in the graphics area (above 60 FPS depending on the game). The 3600 is a 6 core processor so if you want to stream as well you may need another computer. The hard drive is only 500 gb which will give you storage for a couple of games. You can add a 1 tb mechanical drive for under $50 to use as a second storage drive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/#view=cQbtnQ

This is my PC. I built this back in January before covid so the price of things went up. I paid around $2K for everything. Can run iRacing in 4K at about 90FPS with no issue's. Again my tv will only run at 60fps due to the 60 hrz refresh rate. I can run ACC with max graphic setting 1440P at 122 FPS.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2pfspiff/saved/xFNnt6

You can find a cheaper case in the $50 to $70 range. NZT, Fractal, Corsair and Thermaltake are really good manufacturers. Like I said I choose mine for the air flow. I have the RGB fans set up to change with the temp of the CPU.

As far as Motherboards, I would stick with Asus, MSI ,Gigabyte or Asrock. I’m personally using a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero MB. You don’t need to be dumb like me and spend over $300. The biggest thing is to make sure that you have enough USB ports. Between the headset, steering wheel, button box, 8 TB external

for video storage, Key Board and Mouse that is 6 USB ports used. My motherboard has like 8 or ten USB ports. Also with the Tuff B550 and I thing the 570 it is using a 2.5 gigabit ethernet port which will allow you to upgrade your internet to 2.5 should you choose to and availability. It still works like a normal 1 gig ethernet port.

Here is the site for PC Parts Picker. Do some research then add the parts you like. It will tell you the cheapest price and if there will be any incompatibility issues with your selection. Also if you are looking at the 2060 then go with the 5700XT, it is a better card. Lastly I did not get a MB with wifi. I can add that in later if I want. They are not that expensive and it allows you to upgrade the wifi card as the specs get better.

My PC is a Asus ROG crosshair VIII Hero MB, AMD 3700X CPU, Corsair vengeance RGB Pro 4X8 GB of DDR4 Memory at 3600 mhz, Crucial MX500 2tb SSD storage drive, Noctua NH D155 CPU cooler, Samsung 970 EVO 1tb M.2 SSD for operating system and Iracing, EVGA Supernova 750 G+ 80 plus gold modular power supply, Corsair Icue 220T RGB Airflow case and a EVGA 2080 Super 8gb DDR6 Ultra video card. All my PC and consoles are hard wired to my router going through the Netgear JGS524 V2 unmanaged switch. I run an MSI laptop for streaming and an old Intel core 2 dou for JRT pages which give me my timing on the laptop and my dash is sent to a 32” TV above my 55” through the HDMI port from the same laptop.

So, it seems that I recall you saying we need to add the cost of 'a monitor' to this as well, as opposed to our TV correct?

Hey guys, don’t mean to poke my nose in like this, but a little birdie told me there was PC talk :D. A few year ago when I decided to make the switch it was not easy because I didn’t use computers, so i was clueless 100%. I went to Best Buy and spent $1,000 Mercian on a pre-built PC. It was plenty strong and fast enough to get in the PC world of sim racing. If you know computers its definitely better if ya can build it yourself though, I could not :lol:. I will also tell you I struggled learning to work stuff, but got a lot of help, and now there are things I can do where I impress myself some days! The gaming options you have with a PC are pretty sick, overlays, apps, running trips, you name it, not to mention the amount of new racing equipment you are now opened up to :bowdown:, and no more restrictions on wheels and pedals! So this was just my experience, If it helps anyone I don’t know? Once you dip your toes in you will be swimming in no time :lol:. Hope everyone is well :cheers:

So, even my good old G29 that I use on my PS4 will work, correct?

It's looking like it will all add up. But if we can do some combat sim nights it will be worth it to take Lobban's Canadair P-05 out with a 'Merican Strike Eagle...

@sgohsixthree - Thank you - now that I can do all my chores on Monday I will take you up on that!

I might be able to organize something. I use simracingmanager.com for my other leagues, so I could tinker with it and maybe set a page up for us. I would also love vintage stuff too. they're my favorite. I like the format too. 5 weeks, two races per week, sounds like a lot of fun. Like this message if you would be interested in that format. I would be glad to keep score and what-not but don't want to be alone in a lobby cuz vintage stuff scawwy :nervous:

I might be able to organize something. I use simracingmanager.com for my other leagues, so I could tinker with it and maybe set a page up for us. I would also love vintage stuff too. they're my favorite. I like the format too. 5 weeks, two races per week, sounds like a lot of fun. Like this message if you would be interested in that format. I would be glad to keep score and what-not but don't want to be alone in a lobby cuz vintage stuff scawwy :nervous:

you mean... twiggy uses simracingmanager.com
actually a pretty good site until i see my racing stats.
more of simracingmadness.com type of guy though ;)

I can help with admin.
We'll call it F.A.R.T - Flatulent Auto Racing Teams

Someone who knows pc hardware, take a look, any concerns? anything you would change/ swap?

*****below is the proper link.*****

EDIT

Last edited:
Solid! My only comment would be to add some more storage. Maybe even up to a 1TB M.2 drive. Everything else is solid!

These things are pretty cheap now @SGETI . Get a 1TB M.2 for your OS and other bits that you want on it, and get a 2TB Standard (or SSD) for all your games and whatnot. 👍

[Man! All these guys coming to PC... I'm just dropping down the order day after day. :nervous:]

Lobie#8322

This is the new setup guys.....wadda ya think? The monitor needs to be closer for sure. Stupid monitor doesn’t have vesa mounting holes. I just finished setting it up, Haven’t turned a wheel yet.
upload_2020-8-4_17-43-9.jpeg

Who’s next???

Lobie#8322

This is the new setup guys.....wadda ya think? The monitor needs to be closer for sure. Stupid monitor doesn’t have vesa mounting holes. I just finished setting it up, Haven’t turned a wheel yet.
View attachment 946516
Who’s next???
It looked pretty fancy just sitting in the box earlier today, I want one!
I tried out Automobilista 2 at Mikes today, pretty cool sim, great variety of different cars and tracks.

Lobie#8322

View attachment 946516
Who’s next???

I think you need to move out of your mom's basement and get a job.
Don't see a HOTAS setup, get good bro.

Well that didn’t take long. SMS announced their POS next gen title and ya’ll were like F-it, I’m buying a PC for some actual sim-racing. I can’t help but laugh at the beating SMS is taking on social media over PCars 3. That company has been mismanaged since day one. Too bad, cuz at it’s core the idea was great. Heck, PCars 2 is great. Had they fixed the bugs, improved graphics, and added a handful of cars and tracks, they would’ve sold a ton of copies on PS5.

Glad I didn’t buy ACC, cuz y’all are going to be gone like a darn fart in the wind. Actually, ACC always sounded great to me - even though I love the vintage stuff. But I know wouldn’t be completely happy with a reduced frame rate version of the real game, especially without third party peripherals, or the button box and camera view options. I’ll wait and pick it up when it’s dirt cheap (unless Mike just decides to send me his now useless copy, hehe :sly:).

I’m actually starting to fall in love with F1. It’s just a fun game to play against AI when you can’t plan a weekly league schedule. Setup times are minimal, and the racing is quite immersive. I still need a game to bang gears while heel-toeing once in a while, and I’ve been trading on and off between PCars 2 and GTSport for that. I did finally get the chance to install the Thrustmaster T-LCM (load cell) pedals. While I’d prefer the overhead mounting position, I’ve got them mounted at pretty comfortable angle - very little to complain about. The pedal set overall? Pretty darn nice. Threshold braking is a whole new ballgame with load cell technology. Even the Hall effect sensors are smoother for the clutch and accelerator. I’m quite happy with this upgrade. It just makes racing more fun when you’re spinning less when gassing out of corners, and hitting your brake markers without locking up. Slightly modulating the brake while hearing little lockup chirps let you know your right on the edge; It’s an awesome feeling.

I’ve only been able to get in my rig about once every 10-12 days lately, so I really don’t see a PC in my near future. Just not enough return on investment. Some day, but probably not until Junior is driving for real, and off doing his own thing with his friends. Until then I’ll be playing it old school with the PS5 I guess.

On a less fortunate note, my Uncle (in his early 60s) was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and severe muscle pain today. Oxygen levels varying between mid 80s to low 90s. Steroids, antibiotics, and hope. He's athletic, not obese but requires insulin, and has had two heart attacks in the past 10 years. Not good.

My mother is doing well, zero symptoms and negative test - Thank God.

Last edited:
Just got back from the PC shop after trying VR in a motion rig around Mugello in an Alfa GTA on AC.

When I first put on the Oculas I was standing next to the rig outside the car and the game just came alive. You can look all around. I looked into the car and there was the driver without his head. Once I was in the seat, seeing the AI arms on the wheel and not being able to see my arms, oddddddd.

He had an old G27 with the pedals and he had it set up for the clutch and stick. He tried to change to paddles and after 15 min. well........ He also tried to adjust the motion rig, another 15 min........... The car felt as if floating, felt detached. The braking I could feel the rig move and imitate the nose of the car dipping. When it came to turning, well, the rig was reacting to my steering and then I would react to the rig moving and then I was mowing grass. I had expected to be able to jump right in and shred the course. No way. The strange part as I was going down the straight i could see the car bouncing and moving , yet the rig was still ?? Lastly, after only one lap the motion of the rig compared to what I was seeing in the googles did not match and I felt lite headed. That was a complete shocker.

I tried the motion rig without VR. I think something had to be amiss with the settings of the rig or I was driving on the ice with two flat tires in the rear. I was expecting more. Look forward to trying VR and a motion rig again.

Just got back from the PC shop after trying VR in a motion rig around Mugello in an Alfa GTA on AC.

When I first put on the Oculas I was standing next to the rig outside the car and the game just came alive. You can look all around. I looked into the car and there was the driver without his head. Once I was in the seat, seeing the AI arms on the wheel and not being able to see my arms, oddddddd.

He had an old G27 with the pedals and he had it set up for the clutch and stick. He tried to change to paddles and after 15 min. well........ He also tried to adjust the motion rig, another 15 min........... The car felt as if floating, felt detached. The braking I could feel the rig move and imitate the nose of the car dipping. When it came to turning, well, the rig was reacting to my steering and then I would react to the rig moving and then I was mowing grass. I had expected to be able to jump right in and shred the course. No way. The strange part as I was going down the straight i could see the car bouncing and moving , yet the rig was still ?? Lastly, after only one lap the motion of the rig compared to what I was seeing in the googles did not match and I felt lite headed. That was a complete shocker.

I tried the motion rig without VR. I think something had to be amiss with the settings of the rig or I was driving on the ice with two flat tires in the rear. I was expecting more. Look forward to trying VR and a motion rig again.

Nice that you had the chance to try it out Sgeti, thanks for sharing. The motion rig to me seems like you need to get the VERY expensive ones to have a good experience, although I have never tried one. Do you know what kind of rig they have?

What about the VR? Do you think its a good upgrade from monitors? I've done some research on VR and looks like a lot of people will get sea sick after playing for more that an hour. I wonder how would you feel without the rig.

Do you know what kind of rig they have?

https://dofreality.com/#p3

not sure if professional or consumer model.

What about the VR? Do you think its a good upgrade from monitors? I've done some research on VR and looks like a lot of people will get sea sick after playing for more that an hour. I wonder how would you feel without the rig.

I will stick to a monitor or three in the future. That ultra wide monitor @Mike Lobban just bought is sure sweet looking!!! Mike's monitor has more realistic chance than VR at the current time. I think VR will some day be in my house, that some day is over a year away.

Just to chime in on the low resolution PS4 VR, it’s never made me sick feeling, I can play for hours, and the experience is just night and day as far as immersion. Looking over your shoulder to check blind spots, looking out your window to see a slow corner apex, hell I’ve reached for the shifter on the left side in a RH drive rally car. It’s definitely the future... but I still think it’s a ways out for true comfortable, and clear setups. I don’t use it often because it’s such a wiring project (not really - I’m just too lazy), there’s no good racing on consoles - just hot lapping, and it’s really hard to drink beer with the headset on. Like really, really hard! Huge problem.

Well that didn’t take long. SMS announced their POS next gen title and ya’ll were like F-it, I’m buying a PC for some actual sim-racing. I can’t help but laugh at the beating SMS is taking on social media over PCars 3. That company has been mismanaged since day one. Too bad, cuz at it’s core the idea was great. Heck, PCars 2 is great. Had they fixed the bugs, improved graphics, and added a handful of cars and tracks, they would’ve sold a ton of copies on PS5.

Glad I didn’t buy ACC, cuz y’all are going to be gone like a darn fart in the wind. Actually, ACC always sounded great to me - even though I love the vintage stuff. But I know wouldn’t be completely happy with a reduced frame rate version of the real game, especially without third party peripherals, or the button box and camera view options. I’ll wait and pick it up when it’s dirt cheap (unless Mike just decides to send me his now useless copy, hehe :sly:).

I’m actually starting to fall in love with F1. It’s just a fun game to play against AI when you can’t plan a weekly league schedule. Setup times are minimal, and the racing is quite immersive. I still need a game to bang gears while heel-toeing once in a while, and I’ve been trading on and off between PCars 2 and GTSport for that. I did finally get the chance to install the Thrustmaster T-LCM (load cell) pedals. While I’d prefer the overhead mounting position, I’ve got them mounted at pretty comfortable angle - very little to complain about. The pedal set overall? Pretty darn nice. Threshold braking is a whole new ballgame with load cell technology. Even the Hall effect sensors are smoother for the clutch and accelerator. I’m quite happy with this upgrade. It just makes racing more fun when you’re spinning less when gassing out of corners, and hitting your brake markers without locking up. Slightly modulating the brake while hearing little lockup chirps let you know your right on the edge; It’s an awesome feeling.

I’ve only been able to get in my rig about once every 10-12 days lately, so I really don’t see a PC in my near future. Just not enough return on investment. Some day, but probably not until Junior is driving for real, and off doing his own thing with his friends. Until then I’ll be playing it old school with the PS5 I guess.

On a less fortunate note, my Uncle (in his early 60s) was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and severe muscle pain today. Oxygen levels varying between mid 80s to low 90s. Steroids, antibiotics, and hope. He's athletic, not obese but requires insulin, and has had two heart attacks in the past 10 years. Not good.

My mother is doing well, zero symptoms and negative test - Thank God.

Sad news about your uncle, that's all I can say about that.

I started sim racing in GT5. I heard about GT Academy and decided to give it a whirl. I was disappointed in the general cars and realism (shifting) of the game. Spent a few years being frustrated with any kind of online racing due to the A-holes who would run you off the road. SNAIL solved that.
PCars checks most of the boxes for me. When I started GT5 I was disappointed in the lack of classic formula and other race cars. It was still a helluva lot of fun, but PCars2 really hit home. And Lobanero brought the game home for me.

I'll see if I invest in a PC. I WANT to, but the fact my schedule is so much different than the majority makes it a it of a challenge to invest for maybe one night a week. On the other hand, as I have mentioned many times, I do miss air combat sims, and if I can race...and kill MIGs, on a PC, well that helps justify the cost.

Hell, Lobban's gone and formatted his PS4, so no more Wreckfest even. Punk.

The FlightSafety full motion sim (Level D I think) my company first sent me to when I got hired was a huge cab on hydraulics. The motion was a nice touch, but I wouldn't say essential. I was in my early twenties when I raced Formula Ford, and after a 40 minute race I was pretty drained from the forces. Same with GoKarts really. For what we do I think the graphics are enough, I don't think any VR we can fit or afford for our homes is going to truly simulate the feel and Gs of a full-blown race car.

I think you need to move out of your mom's basement and get a job.
Don't see a HOTAS setup, get good bro.
I have the hotas, just need to make arms to attach them to the rig. As for moving out of Moms basement.....what for? I have all the porn, racing, flying I can handle right here........and I don’t have to deal with people.
As for sim flying, there is multiplayer on FS2020..... no weaponized planes, which sucks, but that’s the MS way. There’s lots of other combat sims with multiplayer too.
I want to put together a formation team for virtual air shows. The biggest thrill I used to have was flying formation with another airplane. One of my first and best experiences was a gaggle of seven planes flying to a breakfast in Westport.....that’s before I met Steve, tho he was probably there. I did fly all the time with two other guys with the same type plane, always a blast.

Last edited:
I have the hotas, just need to make arms to attach them to the rig. As for moving out of Moms basement.....what for? I have all the porn, racing, flying I can handle right here........and I don’t have to deal with people.
As for sim flying, there is multiplayer on FS2020..... no weaponized planes, which sucks, but that’s the MS way. There’s lots of other combat sims with multiplayer too.
I want to put together a formation team for virtual air shows. The biggest thrill I used to have was flying formation with another airplane. One of my first and best experiences was a gaggle of seven planes flying to a breakfast in Westport.....that’s before I met Steve, tho he was probably there. I did fly all the time with two other guys with the same type plane, always a blast.

We can formation fly, but I want armament. It would be great fun to fly formation in Spitfires!

Sorry guys I've been unexpectadly busy so I will get to working out the website on Saturday @GTLehman

Me too. Danged people keep getting sick. We will get there.

Back