1 hr into 24hr Nur Race...

• Thread starter 4DSC
  • 21 comments
Sabachka
Sup guys, didn't even know there was a GT forum :dopey:

Anyway, Im 1 hr into the race at the 24 hours of Nurburgring and it just struck me how the hell Im suppose to go through it.. At the moment, Im using my usual endurance race strats of getting way ahead of the competition in Aspec mode for about 10 laps, pit, then letting Bspec take over in "Cruise" or somethin, till the tires wear out or the competition catches up. And I have to constantly watch over the race or else.. :scared: Im also getting a bit worried if it's okay to leave the PS2 on for this long as well.

What are some of the strats you guys use to get through these gigantic endurance races without it taking over your life and still coming out in pole position at the end. Thanks.. Btw, Im using the BMW M3 Race Car at the base 473hp to make it as challenging as possible.

Edit: Oh and of course, I do multiply the time by 3 when Im not around.

Yeah, I figured except I don't own any of those. Thats what I don't like.. You have to kinda guess which car to pick and if you pick something too slow, you'll end up losing, if you pick something too fast, you'll end up being bored the whole time. You can preview the races beforehand to see what you'll be up against, but you have to make sure you have less HP or else you'll blow the comp away.

One of the best cars to use for this endurance is the BMW M3 GTR. The car has great handling. Expect to pit for new tires every other lap when using this car.

Best and most fun strategy is to take an underpowered car and A-spec the whole race! :D I'm currently 16 hours into this very race, but I'm using a 350HP Renault 5 Maxi Turbo Rally Car '85, in totally stock configuration, other than a few minor tweaks to the gear, suspension and brake balance settings.
Hourly updates are happening on page 4 of my A-spec Endurance companion.
Link is in Sky Blue in my signature. ;)

:cheers:

Im at 15 hours and my PS2 has been on for 3 days now! :indiff:
In 2nd with the lead 1 lap ahead and gaining 20 secodns a lap on the leader..

Don't worry about it! I'm almost 21 hours in now, (all A-spec) and the PS2 (the old style) has been on since last Friday, 07/14! It's no big deal.
One of the moderators here, Famine also did the 24hr races A-spec and left his slimline PSTwo on for 460-odd hours straight for one of the Sarthe races, with no problems. (That's nearly 20 days! :eek: )
It's a common worry that the PlayStation will have problems if left on, but as long as it's well ventilated, you have less wear & tear on the components leaving it powered on, than if you are constantly turning it on and off, which is when electrical components tend to fail.

Ya what i do for the 24 eye-busters is just pop a tiny fan behind the ps2 blowing the hot air out, make sure that it is in a well opened place (meaning not in a compact area).
Turn it off if it starts to smell funny, or wierd sounds begin.
Iv had mine on now for 8 days, and its doin fine

Thanks for the advice guys ;) At 20 hours now and the PS2 has been on since the 19th.. Doesn't even feel hot(knocks on wood) :)

Man this race is boring....... :indiff:

4DSC
Man this race is boring....... :indiff:

Actually it's quite the opposite! Nurburgring is a long but highly interesting circuit, there's something to test you at every bend, there's bumps galore waiting to throw you off-track as if you lose concentration for a moment, and there's a couple of long high-speed blasts to satisfy the need-for-speed and give the brain a rest! :lol:

If you think this is boring, I dread to think what you'll make of the Sarthe II race!
Long straight ----> couple of bends ----> Extremely long straight ----> Tight bend ----> Long straight ----> Tight bend ----> more straight ----> Fast bends ----> more straight ----> Tight Chicanes.
Repeat 400 or so times, ad nauseum. Yawn-erama! :grumpy:

Sarthe I isn't that much different either, but at least there's 2 extra chicanes to break up the monotony of the extremely long straight! :P

Nah, I love the Nurburgring, its just 150 laps of it drives you a little mad. :scared:

But yeah, I know what you mean.. In the Sarthe's, Im probably gonna have to Bspec the majority with a very fast car, cause I just don't have the time and patience to be doing 24 hours in videogames lol.. I can't believe some of you guys actually Aspec the whole damn thing :crazy:

Smallhorses
Actually it's quite the opposite! Nurburgring is a long but highly interesting circuit, there's something to test you at every bend, there's bumps galore waiting to throw you off-track as if you lose concentration for a moment, and there's a couple of long high-speed blasts to satisfy the need-for-speed and give the brain a rest! :lol:

If you think this is boring, I dread to think what you'll make of the Sarthe II race!
Long straight ----> couple of bends ----> Extremely long straight ----> Tight bend ----> Long straight ----> Tight bend ----> more straight ----> Fast bends ----> more straight ----> Tight Chicanes.
Repeat 400 or so times, ad nauseum. Yawn-erama! :grumpy:

Sarthe I isn't that much different either, but at least there's 2 extra chicanes to break up the monotony of the extremely long straight! :P

:D Finally.. :crazy:

In my opinion Aspec 30%, 70% Bspec.. My driver really improved :)
24:04:40:388 total time
6:41 best lap (super soft tires)
6:48 best lap (super hard)
Average pit was every 6 laps, but a few extra here and there..
193 Laps
2500 miles

Interesting thing happened.. During the race, everytime I had it on Bspec, the Audi A4 Touring car would pass me and at one point, had lapped my Bspec driver. So constantly had to keep watch and take over, and during the last 20 minutes of the race, I noticed the bastard got 10 seconds on me, but I needed to pit! :scared: Wow, I got so lucky.. Almost lost it. That would totally suck. Can't wait for the Sarthes... :ill:

wow im using my bmw mclaren f1 racecar in b-spec and its a little easier, I lapped sixth place 11 times! im on lap 117 I have just over 6 hours to go. ill be finished around 2 AM. sucks

WRXmaniaman
wow im using my bmw mclaren f1 racecar in b-spec and its a little easier, I lapped sixth place 11 times! im on lap 117 I have just over 6 hours to go. ill be finished around 2 AM. sucks

Hey I didn't do too bad either lapping 6th place 14 times :sly:

I was actually wanting to Aspec one of the 24 hours races, but withing a 24 hour period. I was thinking me and my best friend would just set aside the time on a weekend and do the whole thing in one go. Anyone done this?

87chevy
I was actually wanting to Aspec one of the 24 hours races, but withing a 24 hour period. I was thinking me and my best friend would just set aside the time on a weekend and do the whole thing in one go. Anyone done this?

I think some set aside their life and do the whole thing themselves :scared:

Back