Still more MINIs on the way.... Coupe pantent drawings are out.

• Thread starter Philly
  • 434 comments

Philly

Phillium
Premium
Rumormill: Could a MINI coupe be in the cards?

Autoblog
How much MINI is too much MINI? Can there be such a thing as a MINI monster? Latest word from a "high level source" is the suggestion that the next possible MINI iteration could be a coupe. That's right, a coupe. Specifically, as phrased by the source, "What if MINI instead produced a low-slung and sleek small coupe, not unlike the ACV 30 concept car from 1997?" (The car pictured above.)

BMW wants more MINIs, and clearly, the way they're being swiped off lots, buyers want more MINIs -- but a new 2-door MINI that's a sleeker (read: even smaller) version of the current 2-door MINI? The Clubman hasn't gone on sale yet, the SUV hasn't even been finalized, and the next brand new version is already "on the table." We don't doubt it would sell, but it seems to be, if not overkill, then cannibalizing overlap. And forgive us for saying so, but as much as we enjoy the MINI, they are becoming the automotive equivalent of tribbles.

At the very least, someone please tell MINI not to take any cues from the car above, which should be allowed to close its rally-inspired bug eyes and rest its lumps forever in peace in a dark Bavarian warehouse.

[Source: Motoring File]

:rolleyes:

I'm probably going to start disliking the MINI brand if they keep coming out with more products. Please, BMW, you can stop molesting one of the best cars and names out there any time soon.

Last edited:
I can understand the Clubman and I can understand the Monte, but I can not understand this. The Cooper is already a sporty car with two main doors in which to enter and exit out of, I don't see the need to make another one the exact same way. However, I think I know why BMW is doing, people can't seem to get enough of the Cooper right now so they might as well ride that gravy train and cash in on a profitable name although it might end up hurting them in the end like what happened with Hummer.

You never got why the Mini was a hatchback? It's got three doors with a rear hatch that opens, what's hard to understand about that?

You never got why the Mini was a hatchback? It's got three doors with a rear hatch that opens, what's hard to understand about that?

Joey do you class the new STI has a wagon or hatchback?

Rumormill: Could a MINI coupe be in the cards?

:rolleyes:

I'm probably going to start disliking the MINI brand if they keep coming out with more products. Please, BMW, you can stop molesting one of the best cars and names out there any time soon.

Yes, i also feel that way. When will these Germans learn..... :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, this is sort of a BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz kind of battle. The MINI vs. the SMART. There making so many new models for those brands. Just think about it:

SMART ForTwo = MINI ONE
SMART ForFour = MINI CLUBMAN
SMART Roadster = This new MINI.....
etc.

(well, its really not a good example, but at least you get the point......right? :confused: :nervous:)

Joey do you class the new STI has a wagon or hatchback?

True. The Rabbit can be had in four doors = still a hatch.

But I think he was more pointing out that it is a hatch because of the three doors, one being a hatch layout.

Yes, i also feel that way. When will these Germans learn..... :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, this is sort of a BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz kind of battle. The MINI vs. the SMART. There making so many new models for those brands. Just think about it:

SMART ForTwo = MINI ONE
SMART ForFour = MINI CLUBMAN
SMART Roadster = This new MINI.....
etc.

(well, its really not a good example, but at least you get the point......right? :confused: :nervous:)

I get your point, but I would argue it. For one, do they still sell the ForFour and Roadster? Second, do they really compete? I'm not very up on my European City Car stuff but I have a hard time believing this new car is targeted at the Roadster or that the One is the same size as the ForTwo. But I could easily be wrong.

You know, I'm going to agree. I disliked the Clubman deal (or whatever it was called) that was a jacked-up Mini. The Mini now is being dressed up in many ways. Almost like the Mini is like an iPod to BMW. This coupe deal seems like a complete defamation of the original Mini. The original Mini was what I would consider the world's smallest terror in racing. I hated the sort of defamation of the Hummer H2 and H3. I liked the H2 at first, but it wasn't until this has become a fad-mobile. Some people don't want to admit it about the recent Hummers because life is too short for anything that isn't completely as practical as the Hummer (oh wait... they AREN'T practical!). Why in the blue hell would you modify the classic Mini's design to something like this? BMW may as well make their own parent brand in screwing Minis. I'm not usually critical of BMW a lot in modern times, but this is a time where I agree with the general consensus. Who does BMW think they are with the Mini- Smart? What's next... a ute version? People said the X6 would be a big blow for BMW if they release it. Well, this is BMW digging their own grave. Speaking of graves, I hope any further defamations in designs and concepts for the latest Mini are buried 60 feet deep with a wooden stake driven through their hearts.

hatchback vs coupe

Seem like an excuse to make a class.

Hatchback = 2/4 side doors, one trunk/boot hatch allowing access to the cabin.
Saloon/Sedan = 2/4 side doors, one trunk/boot hatch not allowing access to the cabin.
Coupe = 2/4 side doors, one trunk/boot hatch not allowing access to the cabin, sharply descending rear roofline.

Some cars blur the line - mine has 2 side doors and a hatch which allows access to the cabin, but the plunging roofline (which is the origin of the term "coupe", from the French "cut") defines it as a coupe-style body.

The MINI has always been a hatchback. Ironically, the first Mini was a saloon/sedan...

I like the concept though, something smaller lower and sportier than the current mini would be something interesting.

Could actually be interesting.
I really hate those "spy" photos of cars that are from such an angle that you really can't tell what the car really looks like.
Can we get enough views for a 3-D "visualization"?

I'll save judgement till then.

Though it does seem a little doofy to take a small coupe like a Cooper and change the rake of the roofline. Though that car reminds me a bit of my 1969 Austin America.
If you want to bring back the MGB-GT don't do it with the mini.
Use a more suitable RWD platform.

The design might have something to do with this:

Riley.elf.arp.750pix.jpg

A Riley Elf.

You know, before BMW runs the MINI name into the ground with pointless spinoffs, perhaps they could sit back and remember that they own the Triumph name.

You know, before BMW runs the MINI name into the ground with pointless spinoffs, perhaps they could sit back and remember that they own the Triumph name.

Spoken like someone who epically fails at marketing concepts.

Ah, so what you are saying is that BMW ruining the brand image of a company is good? I can see how it works (Porsche Cayenne). I can also see when it fails (Jeep Compass). So what is your point, other than the "I'm superior to you" attitude?

Ah, so what you are saying is that BMW ruining the brand image of a company is good? I can see how it works (Porsche Cayenne). I can also see when it fails (Jeep Compass). So what is your point, other than the "I'm superior to you" attitude?

My point is you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to marketing concepts. BMW is milking the Mini brand for all it's worth because they are making truck loads of money off of it. Companies do not care what a small group of automotive enthusiasts think about a car or a brand. Look at the new STI, is it ugly and pointless? Sure why not. But you know what? It'll sell and Subaru will make money off of it.

I don't disagree with the statement that adding these models is hurting the image of the company to the enthusiast, although go over to any Mini Cooper forum and we all love the Clubman. But really the average car buyer is not an automotive enthusiast and that is who BMW is trying to sell cars to.

Mini is quite a fast growing company for BMW, hell Mini sales were up 3.3% in the month of November and that number climbs just about every month.
(source: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/03/by-the-numbers-november-2007/). If I was a BMW executive I'd be thinking the same way...how do I ride this gravy train.

My point is you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to marketing concepts.
I know perfectly well about why BMW is doing it. That is not the problem. The problem is that BMW is being shortsighted about the whole thing.
Case in point, the MINI sells for two reasons:
  1. They are astonishingly fun cars.
  2. They are cool looking.
My point is that if BMW milks it too much and releases cars that aren't that good handling, or aren't the darling little retro rods people are snapping up (and the SUV will probably be the first one of that ilk) something major is going to happen when they realize that the Mini isn't a particularly good car for the money if you take away the driving fun, and the brand will start to tank (at least in BMW's eyes. Sales of the normal Mini would probably be unaffected).
If BMW milks the brand too much, which they are already doing, and release cars that don't adhere to the "great driving, small package" philosophy, then BMW will very quickly end up with a brand that had been climbing in droves that begins to tank at the same speed.
Furthermore, we don't really know how well the Subaru debacle has gone over yet, so I don't think it is wise to say that simply adding more models to the Mini portfolio will add that many sales.

I know perfectly well about why BMW is doing it. That is not the problem. The problem is that BMW is being shortsighted about the whole thing.
Case in point, the MINI sells for two reasons:
  1. They are astonishingly fun cars.
  2. They are cool looking.
My point is that if BMW milks it too much and releases cars that aren't that good handling, or aren't the darling little retro rods people are snapping up (and the SUV will probably be the first one of that ilk) something major is going to happen when they realize that the Mini isn't a particularly good car for the money if you take away the driving fun, and the brand will start to tank.
If BMW milks the brand too much, which they are already doing, and release cars that don't adhere to the "great driving, small package" philosophy, then BMW will very quickly end up with a brand that had been climbing in droves that begins to tank at the same speed.
Furthermore, we don't really know how well the Subaru debacle has gone over yet, so I don't think it is wise to say that simply adding more models to the Mini portfolio will add that many sales.

Once again I do not know why you think the Mini is not a good car when review after review is favourable of it. Hell the R56 was even in the running for COTY through Motor Trend.

And what has Mini released outside the Cooper and the Clubman? I've driven all of the Cooper models expect for a Cooper S convertible and the Clubmans which are not out in the states yet. They all handle about the same way.

I don't see how they are milking the brand to much right now, they have 3 models (if you count the convertible as a separate model) with two trims per model, that's only six cars which all share quite a bit of the same packaging.

Yes they are talking about an SUV but I'm willing to bet that it does not come to pass in the way everyone thinks it will if at all. There has been rumours all along that there would be a Clubman AWD model, which is probably what the test mules people are seeing are. Yes they are now talking about a coupe, but I'm willing to bet this won't be made either. The next thing you'll see is a hybrid Mini, an electric Mini, or a hydrogen Mini.

The concept of it just hit my head as being familiar, Mini Marcos anyone?

Ah you are right, that would be kind of a cool revival especially if they offered the 178hp 1.6L in it with their 6spd. I would imagine it would be quite fun, especially if they kept the weight way down.

I get your point, but I would argue it. For one, do they still sell the ForFour and Roadster? Second, do they really compete? I'm not very up on my European City Car stuff but I have a hard time believing this new car is targeted at the Roadster or that the One is the same size as the ForTwo. But I could easily be wrong.

Okay, maybe its not entirely correct ( i did say its not a good comparison :indiff:) But the point is, both companies did make several cars over the original (hence, the = sign) But then again, those cars don't exactly share anything in common with the original cars (other than the looks maybe?) but they did sell rather well.

Maybe i need to see this from a different angle, BMW should be praise for making the MINI brand as popular as it was back in the day. Sure its definitely different from the old mini, but still, its quite hip and economical (well, in my honest opinion at least) The MINI coupe (or whatever it is) should be quite interesting to see as it has some styling cues form the older minis. Hopefully it would be as fun as the old mini..... 👍

(meh, i can't remember how i did manage to type that earlier comment. I was probably too sleepy to remember.... :dunce:)

Maybe i need to see this from a different angle, BMW should be praise for making the MINI brand as popular as it was back in the day. Sure its definitely different from the old mini, but still, its quite hip and economical (well, in my honest opinion at least) The MINI coupe (or whatever it is) should be quite interesting to see as it has some styling cues form the older minis. Hopefully it would be as fun as the old mini..... 👍

Surely BMW had a lot to do with the popularity of the new MINI, but I would give more credit to the old car for the current success of this one. BMW did have some clever advertising schemes to make the thing even more popular though. Makes me wonder what they will have to do when they have several new cars that aren't selling particularly well.

The marketing department in charge of Mini is full of a bunch of brilliant people. Go to www.mini.ca and look at their winter marketing campaign. But I don't think you will see a decrease in Mini sales anytime soon, with the rising gas prices people are looking for more economical ways to have fun while driving. In America the SUV boom is over and people are going to start buying smaller more economical cars, Mini already has a quality product ready for people to buy.

They do need to build another plant though if they want to keep up with demand, waiting six weeks for a car is something I believe that is turning people off to the car here in America. Everyone wants instant gratification.

The marketing department in charge of Mini is full of a bunch of brilliant people. Go to www.mini.ca and look at their winter marketing campaign. But I don't think you will see a decrease in Mini sales anytime soon, with the rising gas prices people are looking for more economical ways to have fun while driving. In America the SUV boom is over and people are going to start buying smaller more economical cars, Mini already has a quality product ready for people to buy.

I would agree that the actual MINI will probably be safe for sales for a while. It's mostly just these new things coming from every direction that I'm worried about.

They do need to build another plant though if they want to keep up with demand, waiting six weeks for a car is something I believe that is turning people off to the car here in America. Everyone wants instant gratification.

We'd be happy to have them come to Michigan, we could use the jobs right now.

And oh, by the way, they should consider getting a dealership signed on here in Grand Rapids. I'd love to work for them...

Back