You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments

Rue

Apparantly...
Premium
Hong Kong
Hong Kong SAR
Just browsing the web looking for some more info on the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, I came across a couple of cars that I never knew existed and thought I might share them with you.

First off, the inspiration for said 612, the Ferrari 375 MM 'Bergman', built by Pininfarina for actress Ingrid Bergman in 1954. Personally, although it's not the prettiest Ferrari of ll time, it looks way ahead of it's time for a car that is over 50 years old and I have a whole new appreciation of the Scaglietti because of it. See how faithful to this design the Scaglietti is even down to the headlights bearing faithful resemblence to the original's side repeaters. I'm not a fan of the fins, but I wonder how the 612 Scag. would have looked had it retained the Bergman's flying butresses? That intake may have looked good on the 612 to break up that immense bonnet too.

fer375mmbergmancr4.jpg

612 Scaglietti
fer612scaglietti00xml3.jpg

The next car I found is this, another Ferrari 375 MM Pininfarina, this time handed over ironically to the coachbuilder Scaglietti, who came up this this quite gorgeous Scaglietti 0402AM. It looks much like a couple version of the old 250 TR 'Testarossa', and I personally think it is one of the most good looking cars I have ever seen (although I'm not keen on the B-pillar and rear window lines).

Both these cars were owned by the husband Ingrid Bergman, Italian movie diector Roberto Rossillini.

375 MM Scaglietti 0402AM
fer375mmscagliettigu6.jpg

250 TR
ferrari58_250testarossa.jpg

I guess there are a whole bunch of gems made by coachbuilders that I have yet to discover. The search begins

Please post any cars that you were suprised to see existed...

I didn't really know of the Lancia Stratos before GT4. This car is right up my alley, tiny little MR sportster. It looks absolutely amazing, the wedged shape and narrow nose, to the point where the wheel flares protrude from the bonnet. I love the look of this thing, but I doubt I will ever see one myself...

69pdc_0213.jpg

I didn't really know of the Lancia Stratos before GT4. This car is right up my alley, tiny little MR sportster. It looks absolutely amazing, the wedged shape and narrow nose, to the point where the wheel flares protrude from the bonnet. I love the look of this thing, but I doubt I will ever see one myself...

69pdc_0213.jpg

Continuing the Ferrari theme I see - did the Stratos not use the (V6?) engine from the Dino? I think they actually make faithful replicas too, so it may not be too unrealistic to actually own something that is as close to the original as possible.

EDIT: And now I've just learnt something new. I have always liked the Stratos, but I never knew they made a Group 5 version. Gosh!

silhouettes_italiennes_LanciaStratosTurbo_5.jpg

Yes, there is an extensive replica following. I just can't imagine myself ever being in any situation where I would see one.

I don't know anything about this car though, I just saw it in the GT games and was surprised that I hadn't known of it earlier.

Over the past few years, there have been several cars that turned my world upside down:

2commM_m.jpg

holden_gto_spec.jpg

Ford-Falcon-XR8.jpg

f6x_34front.jpg

I honestly had no idea these cars existed until the Pontiac GTO showed up back in 2004/2005. It really upsets you when your American car companies can build something so awesome in foreign markets, and yet, not sell them in the US...

Over the past few years, there have been several cars that turned my world upside down:

pics

I honestly had no idea these cars existed until the Pontiac GTO showed up back in 2004/2005. It really upsets you when your American car companies can build something so awesome in foreign markets, and yet, not sell them in the US...

Well thats because America is the blandness of the globe!

One car I had no idea about until I ended up in the Mini Cooper community was the Mini Cooper GP. It's basically a John Cooper Works Mini Cooper S that has been lighten, strengthened, and given some additional power. America did not get to many of these cars since most of them stayed in Britain. I've never seen one on the road nor at any car show I have attended. If I even came into some money I would probably get one as they go one AutoTrader for $35,000 for a slightly higher mileage one.

coopersgp06.jpg

Hey Joey, what part of Michigan is Lake Orion at? I'm currently going to school at Michigan Tech up in Houghton.

Hey Joey, what part of Michigan is Lake Orion at? I'm currently going to school at Michigan Tech up in Houghton.

South East, about 30 miles north of Detroit and about 10 hours from Michigan Tech.

35,000$ for a Mini is really steep. And those 4-spoke wheels are quite something :odd:

There are some examples of them going for upwards of $50,000, hell from the factory you can spend that on a new Cooper S with all the JCW goodies. I think I posted an example of a $47,000 Cooper S on here not that long ago. I do agree that is a lot of money to pay for what is basically an economy car.

And the wheels are something else, I don't know if I like them or not.

I didn’t know there was such thing as an E34 M5 Touring until I saw one in the faculty parking lot last week. When I went to get my camera though, it drove away. :(

Michigan Tech, eh? A friend of mine is up there right now... We all called him crazy when he picked it over Michigan State and Ferris State all those years ago. Too cold, too isolated for me!

====

Back on topic:

I honestly had no idea that the ever-popular Checker Taxi was built 40 minutes south of here in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I didn't figure that out until about a year or so ago...

*Snips*

I completely agree with this statement. I didn't even know Holden existed until the GTO came over to the states. I wish we got half the cars the aussies get! I'm happy they are bringing the Ute over, that should be really interesting to see on the road.

Rue
Continuing the Ferrari theme I see - did the Stratos not use the (V6?) engine from the Dino? I think they actually make faithful replicas too, so it may not be too unrealistic to actually own something that is as close to the original as possible.

Looking at the Revolution wheels on the two Stratos in the picture that Exige posted, i'd say that they are likely to be replicas too - but you can see how well detailed they are 👍

*edit* they are. ;)

Michigan Tech, eh? A friend of mine is up there right now... We all called him crazy when he picked it over Michigan State and Ferris State all those years ago. Too cold, too isolated for me!

Haha well it is a good engineering school, and I'm used to the cold weather! :sly: We actually just had a snow day on wednesday! :dopey:

IS that the FPX something, the FPV tuned version of the Territory? Ive never seen one before...

Yeah, that's the FPV F6X I think it's called, the FPV tuned Territory. I couldn't believe I never knew about the mach IV GT40s, I only ever thought there was the mach II

The Mk IV GT-40
DSC00066.jpeg

I found out about it while watching a DVD on the history of the GT-40.

... I honestly had no idea these cars existed until the Pontiac GTO showed up back in 2004/2005. ...

I completely agree with this statement. I didn't even know Holden existed until the GTO came over to the states. ...
See, this is why we laugh at you and your automotive industry. And your 'car culture' too.

A GT-70 as well?! Is that front engined or mid-engined? I suppose this is what I get for being born after the time these cars ruled the road.

It's also kinda strange that no one knew about Holden until the GTO. Did you know about Valiant, essentially an Australian Chrysler?

It's strange. The majority of Australian enthusiasts would prefer to have America's 'performance' range over the Falcon and Commodore. I know I would. By all means, we can trade if you like. We can have your Mustang, as well as Chevrolet's rocket Corvette, Dodge's V-10 Viper powerhouse, and the upcoming new-age Dodge Challenger (and throw in the H2 Hummer) in which we have no equivalent, and we'll send you over our Commodore (which you already have in the form of a Pontiac) and the upcoming Orion Falcon. Deal?

It's strange. The majority of Australian enthusiasts would prefer to have America's 'performance' range over the Falcon and Commodore. I know I would. By all means, we can trade if you like. We can have your Mustang, as well as Chevrolet's rocket Corvette, Dodge's V-10 Viper powerhouse, and the upcoming new-age Dodge Challenger (and throw in the H2 Hummer) in which we have no equivalent, and we'll send you over our Commodore (which you already have in the form of a Pontiac) and the upcoming Orion Falcon. Deal?

Nah, I'd still rather own the Australian cars- especially if we get a reborn Torana :drool: And Monaro will do us for Coupes in my opinion even though they stopped making them. But we are getting the Camaro sold as Chevys real soon, and we can buy the Corvette already as well as Hummers, just not the Mustangs or Vipers :guilty: Oh well. I had never heard of Proto Motors before GT4.

Move to New Zealand. We get all of the Holdens, HSVs and Fords and FPVs plus you can get the Mustang, Corvette and H2 . Can't get the Viper, but you can get the Ram SRT-10.

No need to move any where to get Mustangs, Corvettes, H2's etc in Australia, you can get all those cars wasy through Grey market imports.

Oh and VT SS is something YSSMAN wishes they had? :lol:

Oh and VT SS is something YSSMAN wishes they had? :lol:

Bad call on the VT photo... Didn't find out about the car until the VZ generation here in the US, probably about 2001-ish or so. That was after Car and Driver went down to Oz and ran a Commodore SS against an M5 and wrote rather favorably of the Holden... And then proceeded to demand from Cadillac that we receive the car under the guise of the Catera SS or something...

Back