• 574 comments

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN

Click on the photo for the full press release...

Jalopnik
The release of information regarding the new Ford Fiesta, the latest global small car platform from Ford, brings lots of good news. First, the new Fiesta maintains all of the kinetic design language from the Ford Verve concepts. Second, it'll be available just about everywhere Ford makes cars, with production in North America for the North American market. Third, the car is still going to be called the Fiesta. Even in the US of A. All of those years of pleading for Ford of Europe products are finally paying off. The Fiesta will officially bow at the Geneva Motor Show, though no word yet on when it'll officially make a North American Debut.

Huzzah! I'll take this over the Yaris any day, and if they can get the chassis sorted out properly, I see no reason why this wouldn't be a great alternative to the Honda Fit/Jazz as well.

Good job Ford!

Wow. :eek: That. Is. Just. Beautiful. I can't wait to see those on the road in the US. :D

One assumes that with a $12K or so sticker price, these won't have too hard of a time staying off the Ford lots. I can't see this thing being anything other than a sales success in North America...

I see this being something of a success.
My reasons...
Everyone loves a good looking hatch (let's hope other angles don't bring out bad looks).
Improvement- I drove the last Ford Fiesta to be in America and it was worth nothing- just a total P.O.S.
Hopefully, and obviously, this time the cards are different and the Fiesta seems to be a car that might actually be worth driving.

All in all I just hope this is a sign of things to come. 👍

One assumes that with a $12K or so sticker price, these won't have too hard of a time staying off the Ford lots. I can't see this thing being anything other than a sales success in North America...

Here's a nasty thought...Ford Fiesta ST w/EcoBoost...in America. :eek:

Huzzah! I'll take this over the Yaris any day, and if they can get the chassis sorted out properly, I see no reason why this wouldn't be a great alternative to the Honda Fit/Jazz as well.

Good job Ford!
........ I actually agree with Brad's comment on a Toyota.

This is very exciting. The name kinda sucks, but the car is very stylish! Only thing that worries me is how long Ford is going to take, bringing this car to the States. I'm little bit paranoid after that Suzuki Swift delay(or cancel?). Even with Ford and its Focus, I think it took easily over a year, maybe two to bring the car to America. I hope things go very speedy. If they add the five-door wagon body style, this car might become #1 on my list. 👍

JCE
The Swift was delayed? omg
Are you being sarcastic, or is there a newer Swift coming to the States?
suzukiswiwft2.jpg

From what I remember, the Fiesta has always had one of the better chassis in its class. At the very least, better than any of the other cars in that class already available here. Sounds like good news to me. Now we just need a colour that isn't pea soup.

The new Fiesta certainly looks better then a Yaris, but that'd probably be it as far as it goes for "The Fiesta is better then the Yaris"...

I like it though, the design suits this chassis more then it does on the new Mondeo in my opinion 👍

Good job Ford!

It will probably give the Mini a run for the money as well, this thing looks a lot better. If they give it a good chassis I can see this thing being pretty awesome. I just hope American's minds aren't tainted with thoughts of the original one we got in 80's.

Hopefully Ford will price this right starting it around $12,000 for the most basic one and working their way up.

They might want to rename it for the U.S. Market. Too close to this Kia-built Metallic hamster, the Festiva.

800px-1st_Ford_Festiva.jpg

Which would be a shame, because this is definitely NOT a tossaway car.

I really liked the old Fiesta ST, I wish we got them. I liked the styling of the old car better but I'm glad we're getting this one. Hopefuly they'll make a new ST and bring the ST here.

I really liked the old Fiesta ST, I wish we got them. I liked the styling of the old car better but I'm glad we're getting this one. Hopefuly they'll make a new ST and bring the ST here.

Yes the ST is/was awsome but honestly you'd accept the base model--because a base model is better than nothing. And if the Lancer didn't do it this way we'd never see the Evolution over here. Think about it.

JCE
Yes the ST is/was awsome but honestly you'd accept the base model--because a base model is better than nothing. And if the Lancer didn't do it this way we'd never see the Evolution over here. Think about it.

You guys must have been driving a different car to the Fiesta ST I've tried. It was sort of chuckable but you had to be brutal with it, otherwise you were in terminal understeer mode - especially in low speed or traction conditions. And it wasn't quite quick or refined enough. It was 'sorta fun', but I wouldn't class it anywhere near 'awesome'. With an inch off the ride height, better damping, more castor, gripper (and fatter) tyres, better brakes, and about 25 mor horsepower (and/or a 50kilog weight loss) it would be 'a lot of fun'.

Now the stock C1-plat Focus ST, that's a different ball-o-wax. And modified for mid range torque and a bit lower for handling, even I, begrudgingly, begin to bandy around the word 'awesome' for their pukka 'Gran Turismo' qualities.

Now... if you can buy a turbo Fiesta like that car up there in the pics, and it handles like a junior Focus, that might be fun.

Now the stock C1-plat Focus ST, that's a different ball-o-wax. And modified for mid range torque and a bit lower for handling, even I, begrudgingly, begin to bandy around the word 'awesome' for their pukka 'Gran Turismo' qualities.

You tease us with your wonderful ST products while we're stuck with this steaming pile of 'meh':

05_Ford_Focus_ST_exfrdrvr34.jpg

Good chassis tuning and the decent Mazda 2.3L engine made it a sweetheart, but a SVT Focus replacement it was not... And consequently, we're left with this:

2008-Ford-Focus-50.jpg

==================

This Fiesta is enough to make me forget all of that. Welcome back to the 'cool' place Ford!

Back