Ferrari F458 Italia

p360eter1
Source

The new Ferrari 458 Italia berlinetta is unveiled today. The successor to the F430, the 458 Italia is the new entry-level V8 in Ferrari’s range – but it’s hardly the weakling of the pack.

The 458 Italia's mid-mounted 4499cc V8 has a flat-plane crank and direct injection to muster 562bhp at a stratospheric 9000rpm. Torque stands at 398lb ft at a high 6000rpm (although 80% of that is on tap from 3250rpm), confirming the high-revving, ballistic power bias of the new Ferrari V8. It's the highest specific output engine in Ferrari's roadgoing history, at 125bhp per litre.

But it won’t be an all-or-nothing sports car; the Italia has a quarter more torque than the 430 Scuderia. Ferrari has paid plenty of attention on reducing internal friction in the enlarged V8 and, combined with an aluminium kerbweight of 1380kg, it helps liberate more performance and economy.

ferrari458italia3.jpg

ferrari458italia1.jpg

ferrari458italia2.jpg

ferrari458italia4.jpg

That's pretty sweet. Nice typical lines, Dunno about the headlights and three pipes looks a bit weird too.

Do I see a double decker diffuser too?

That's pretty sweet. Nice typical lines, Dunno about the headlights and three pipes looks a bit weird too.

Do I see a double decker diffuser too?

Yeah, probably the only type that the FIA can't cry about.

The front 3/4 view is spectacular, really low waistline, I love the headlights, and those wheels really fill the arches don't they?! I think the grilles to the side of the tail lights are a bit odd, i think it would have looked better if it was one big grille going right across the middle, but other than that it looks pretty stunnging IMO

I love everything except the 3 exhaust pipes ! Great car ! Loved the 360, loved the 430 and this one is just as great.

Now if I'd only make enough money to buy one of those ;-)
Nah maybe in 10 years...

I personally dont have a problem with the three exhaust pipes, it's like an F40!

just read more of the stats here, the engine stats are unbeliveable, and there are some very clever ideas, like the 'prefil' for the brakes, active aero etc

Bravissimo!

Wow, best looking Ferrari 'middie' for ages 👍

The thin-spoked wheels look a little weedy, but i'm sure they'll grow on me.

Love it. On my Top Gear calendar this month's car is the F430 Scuderia and I think the 458 looks a lot better. The 430 looks sorta chubby in comparison.

What's some people's problem with the three pipes? I like them - they hail back to the F40 - and its not like that wasn't a stunningly beautiful machine.

I never liked the F430, but this I can appreciate........for now. I like the looks, but if the engine sound is like the F430 I'll hate it again, such a hairdryer sounding engine it was.

What's some people's problem with the three pipes? I like them - they hail back to the F40 - and its not like that wasn't a stunningly beautiful machine.

On the F40 the middle pipe was used for the turbo. As the F458 dosn't have a turbo it's a bit 'gimmicky'

I never liked the F430, but this I can appreciate........for now. I like the looks, but if the engine sound is like the F430 I'll hate it again, such a hairdryer sounding engine it was.

It's still a flat-plane crank so it will always sound more like a pair of 4-pots than the traditional V8 sound.

I like it, you can see California styling direction and with very impressive numbers to match. I like the Exhausts only because the F40 but I feel dissapointed they arn't used in the way the F40 did. ;)

I assume double clutch trans?

It's still a flat-plane crank so it will always sound more like a pair of 4-pots than the traditional V8 sound.

Can you (or anyone) please explain to me what a flat-plane crank is? And does the 8C use it, which using a bored version of the F430's V8 sounded absolutely b-e-a-utiful?:drool:

Edit: And can someone explain to me this F40 "turbo exhaust pipe" business? How can a turbo have its own exhaust pipe?:odd:

I like the 430 better. This thing is gorgeous, but I don't like the LED strip on the headlights, don't like how the headlights cut out, and I don't like that back plate between the mesh areas on the rear of the car. Perhaps they should've blackened out that plate. The headlights look like a TVR or something; definitely not Ferrari.

Can you (or anyone) please explain to me what a flat-plane crank is? And does the 8C use it, which using a bored version of the F430's V8 sounded absolutely b-e-a-utiful?:drool:

A 'normal' V8 has the crank throws angled at 90 degrees, a flat-plane one has them angled at 180 degrees

Look at the section on Crankshaft Design

It's....a Ferrari. Unless I have (active) nobility somewhere in the bloodline, I'll never be able to afford one. Thus, irrelevant.

Doesn't look half bad, though, the front 3/4 view just reminds me that slightest bit...of Porsche. 996 era.

It'll still sound like a couple Fours strapped together. Really, really nice, Italian five-valve fours, with tubular headers, but fours nonetheless. :3

Edit: And can someone explain to me this F40 "turbo exhaust pipe" business? How can a turbo have its own exhaust pipe?:odd:

A 'normal' V8 has the crank throws angled at 90 degrees, a flat-plane one has them angled at 180 degrees

Look at the section on Crankshaft Design

I get what they mean now (thanks), but don't ask me about how that effects the exhaust system needed or the sound it makes.:sly:

Last edited:
Don't agree with the three pipes and I prefer the traditional twin Ferrari tail lights.
Reminds me of the Enzo from behind.
I'm a big fan of the F430, and it will take me a while to get used to this.

Last edited:
The F430 was almost flawless. The design is brilliant, especially the rear bumper and diffuser akin to the FXX' design. As a successor, this should be flawless.

The F40 has a single external wastegate, the middle pipe on the F40 is directly from the wastegate.

Jay
The F40 has a single external wastegate, the middle pipe on the F40 is directly from the wastegate.

Said he to the guy who knows very little about turbos.:ouch: What's a wastegate? Anyone got another YouTube video with some guy beating his drums to explain wastegate turbos?:lol:

Don't go off topic talking about turbos and whatnot. Do a search.

I really, really like it... it's a much more interesting shape than the 430, with well integrated curves and straight lines.

Bravo Ferrari.

...but don't ask me about how that effects the exhaust system needed or the sound it makes.:sly:

The firing order is what dictates the sound. The 'regular V8's firing order is uneven at L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R - which is what makes the distinctive sound, but it's unefficient as far as optimising the exhaust manifolds goes, which is why the GT40 had a system where some of the pipes from one cylinder bank cross over and join pipes from the otherside.

:odd: I believe that people should never make comments about the sound of Ferrari's flat-plane crank V8 until they've heard one at full throttle in person. I saw a few rounds of the Ferrari 360 Challenge once and the sound is absolutely spine-tingling, especially with 20 of the buggers on the circuit! IMO the Ferrari V8 is one of motoring's great noises.

I get what they mean now (thanks), but don't ask me about how that effects the exhaust system needed or the sound it makes.:sly:

The exhaust system has a valve that opens at particular throttle openings/particular RPMs so that cruising around doesn't deafen everyone nearby and makes day-to-day use much more bearable. Once the throttle is opened further and the revs climb, the valve opens fully and you hear the full sound influenced not just by the engine but also by the design of the exhausts.

As far as why it sounds as it does, think of the flat-plane crank as two inline-fours (say, high-revving Honda units) firing simultaneously but through a common exhaust system (and without two cylinders firing at once, as there'd theoretically be in two inline fours).

The F430 was almost flawless. The design is brilliant, especially the rear bumper and diffuser akin to the FXX' design. As a successor, this should be flawless.

The F430 was a long way from flawless design-wise. I found it the most incoherent Ferrari V8 sports car since they started making them. Lots of odd angles and curves that never really mixed well, the high-mounted lights didn't sit right, the wide, bulbous front made do with tiny slittly lights etc... the similar 360 was much prettier to my eyes.

As for this F458, I think it looks fantastic. It's the characteristics of the Enzo distilled into a prettier and more practical design.

I like the three pipes, but can't help thinking it might look better with twin-exit pipes on either side like it's predecessors.

Many many factors determine engine sound, engine type and firing order is a big ones, but the cylinder head design themselves play a big role too (among many other smaller things). When it comes to sound (ignoring performance) all you can do with the exhaust is 'trim' the sound that comes out but not change it completely, like the difference between a V8 Chev to a V8 Ferrari.

BTW Paulie you have a PM regarding wastegates as per Omnis request :)

which is why the GT40 had a system where some of the pipes from one cylinder bank cross over and join pipes from the otherside.

Same reason Lotus used the Chev LT5 ZR-1 engine (Which they developed for C4 Corvette) but only after building their own flat plane crankshaft versions.

Back