Comments about the Subaru SVX

• Thread starter SVX
  • 34 comments
It's an interesting car to say the least, it's just too bad they didn't offer a manual on it.

I like the styling, when I was first looking for a car that was one of the cars I was looking for until I found the cuda.

I've heard they're not too reliable though, but I don't know where I heard that.

A guy owns one not far from here, and it's a really cool car. It'd be better with a more reliable system underneath, like the engine, or the drivetrain, but even with those, I wouldn't mind owning one.

SVX? Its a random vehicle at best here in the States. I think the old, old, old-school ones are crazy awesome simply because they look like a door jam, but other than that, nothing too special. In a segment that was populated by Preludes, Celica Supras, Eclipses, MX3 Turbos and the all-important Fox Body... It was left behind quickly in the US.

However, the windows were epic.

Nah,I think it's to much like the Cool Wall.I'll nominate it when I get to.

Pretty rare round here, but thats because of their unreliablilty and speed issues. Plus the half window open thing it has going on makes it look like its trying too hard. It doesn't need it and it takes away functionality.

I think the SVX wouldn’t look out of place in Back to the future, part 2. The designers actually bothered looking beyond the boring 90’s trend... which is something I look for in all new cars.

To hell with functionality. The half-windows give the car character. They have a very Toyota Sera whiff about them 👍

I love the SVX a lot. Might even consider owning one some day, if the price is right.

MX3 Turbos

As in Mazda MX-3? Such a car doesn't exist...

To hell with functionality. The half-windows give the car character. They have a very Toyota Sera whiff about them 👍

The difference is, the Sera needed them. As it does this:

sera2.jpg

As in Mazda MX-3? Such a car doesn't exist...

Umm, yes it does. It's also marketed as the Eunos 30X in most other parts of the world (1.8L V6). Go google it, it will come up in 3 seconds with forums and everything. But it wasn't a factory turbocharged car.

As for the SVX, the only good thing about that car was the 3.3L H6 motor. Tony Rigoli Performance here in Australia has an Impreza drag car with that motor fitted with twin turbos. Currently does 7's on the 1/4. 👍

Umm, yes it does. It's also marketed as the Eunos 30X in most other parts of the world (1.8L V6). Go google it, it will come up in 3 seconds with forums and everything. But it wasn't a factory turbocharged car.

Understanding fail.

I meant the turbocharged version doesn't exist. I know the car exists, Famine has two and I looked at a couple when I was searching for cars to replace my old one...

My dad had one for 10 years with 110,000 miles on it. All red. But then kept having problems then had to trade it. And got a 2007 Subaru Impreza.

Understanding fail.

I meant the turbocharged version doesn't exist. I know the car exists, Famine has two and I looked at a couple when I was searching for cars to replace my old one...

And you didn't read the whole comment did you HFS.....

mafia_boy
But it wasn't a factory turbocharged car.

Which meant I understood both sides quite clearly.

Your comment as quoted was you said the MX3 does not exist. I disagreed on that part but as you said, Famine owns two so you know they're around, but I also inferred that it WAS NOT a FACTORY turbo car which was what you were correcting YSSMAN on so on that note it was more confirming what you said that he was incorrect. 👍

RE: The MX-3 Turbo

My bad, I was thinking of the Mazda 323 Turbo (called the GS in the States as I recall) while also thinking of the MX-6 Turbo (called the GT in the States) that was popular along the SVX timeline as well. The MX-6 was otherwise a ringer back then, which was an odd time for Ford sports cars in general. Between the SHO, MX-6/Probe, Fox Mustang and the Supercoupe... It was a good time to be a Ford fan.

I'll second the unreliable-ness of them. There is, or shall I say was, a local one restored, then modified to be decently quick. Except, from restoration to wherever it is now, it would break down after every so often in the engine bay. Last I remember, I caught it going down the Tollway until it just coughed and belched up black smoke from the engine....Car blew itself up again.

That picture does definatly not show off its good side :ill:.

What a load of rubbish - I mean....yeah, thats a point with a back seats, but why did Scooby say "hey - the back seats don't have much ventilation, so lets put less in the front as well so it balances out?". I know thats not what they said, but its as good as. Give me a few moments on paint and I could probably come up with a better solution.

No, I'm not going to do it.

Back in the day, in the USA, I believe the only comparable car to the SVX was the Thunderbird SC.

I'd think a Cosmo, in Japan(Australia too), is pretty close in comparison to an SVX.

Very much looking forward to finding the Matchbox model. What a wonderfully left-field choice.

... is the picture of your own car, SVX?

I very much want to get a GC and stick the EG33 engine into it. Build it up, but keep it NA.

I barely see any SVX's on the road, so it's quite an occasion when I do see one. It's one of the more quirky JDM cars but I don't think it gets enough attention, even within the car community. Which is a shame.

Back