BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
CHVRCHES_GTP
BMWBLOG
Latest rumor from Germany is around a new BMW model coming to market. Developed under the name BMW i100 Coupe ActiveHybrid, the new eco-sports car is scheduled to launch in 2013 and will compete against Audi’s E-Tron and Mercedes’ SLS E-Cell.

The i100 is designed as a plug-in hybrid and will be able to drive 15 to 50 kilometers on electric motor. Auto Bild reports that the i100 will feature a three-cylinder direct injection engine, most likely a diesel unit similar to the one found in the Vision Concept, producing 165 to 185 horsepower. The drivetrain will also include two electric motors which will add 100 horsepower.

bmw-oeko-renner-17139655-mfbqtemplateIdrenderScaledpropertyBildheight349.jpg

For the U.S. market, BMW might offer a four-cylinder powerplant as well. Unlike the competition, the BMW will offer room for four passengers. Estimated price is 100,000 euros a piece and with only 35, 000 units available.

To add more fuel to the speculations’ game, the magazine also mentions a BMW M100 model, basically an M version of the i100, powered by a inline six-cylinder engine coming from the next generation M3 and super capacitors hybrid.

When it finally comes out, this car will be a direct competitor to the Audi R-tron - Merc SLS - 918 Hybrid… SOUNDS COOL!!!! I would love to hear your guys opinion of the car and its competitor. Discuss :)

Source : BMWBLOG.COM

EDIT: Latest update on page 2, post #24!

Last edited:
...... *snip*Discuss :)
I don't want to. :P (should have added this smiley in the first place)!

What do want to say is, why do they always make the future and promising technology so expensive?

Last edited:
I don't want to.

What do want to say is, why do they always make the future and promising technology so expensive?

Owkey if you don't want to discuss so...

Well.. That question should be headed to the BMW Management Board. Not me.

I'm not sure what to say honestly but I understand that new technologies are always expensive since concepts and futuristic stuff are made the best they can. The world is going to the future not past...

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing more cars of the future to use a racing series for R&D. It will make it interesting who can dominate. Just like in F1 the best design and technology usually win.

I love the past. I hate the future. at least, I will, until they invent repulsorlifts..

Are those the staircase lift you are talking about? I don't think they have a race series for it yet but if we get too old to play GT5 or 6 I guess that would be our next series I suppose. :scared:

Yep, it's a supercar and it's a hybrid so why not? I would really love to see the race too... I think everybody would love to.

A supercar with less than 300hp? Now I know the opinion on what exactly constitutes to a supercar is largely subjective, but do you not think that is taking it a little too far. 270hp may have been a supercar 40 years ago.

Of course, that's nots to say it will be slow by any means, particularly with the acceleration provided by those electric motors, however, The Porsche will have over double the power output and multiple times the pricetag, I'm not sure they are direct competitors.

Are those the staircase lift you are talking about? I don't think they have a race series for it yet but if we get too old to play GT5 or 6 I guess that would be our next series I suppose. :scared:

No, the hover systems they have in futuristic spacecraft and cars. Think Luke Skywalker's ride in A New Hope ;p

I think it looks absolutely stunning, regardless of how it is to drive I'd like to photograph it!

I really like it! I'm not particularly a fan of the long front grills, but I can live with that. You can really see the influence from the efficient dynamics concept.

Also:
M100... mmm

I really like it! I'm not particularly a fan of the long front grills, but I can live with that. You can really see the influence from the efficient dynamics concept.

Also:
M100... mmm

Good job that's not indigo, as its pretty much patented. :dopey:

A supercar with less than 300hp? Now I know the opinion on what exactly constitutes to a supercar is largely subjective, but do you not think that is taking it a little too far. 270hp may have been a supercar 40 years ago.

Of course, that's nots to say it will be slow by any means, particularly with the acceleration provided by those electric motors, however, The Porsche will have over double the power output and multiple times the pricetag, I'm not sure they are direct competitors.

I know in fact everyone knows that a supercar with less than 300HP is a bit odd while the rest have more than 400HP at least. By the looks of things, this car can be a supercar in a form of M100 anyway. Equipped with the upcoming BMW M3 Inline-6 that produces more then 400HP estimated + the same electric motors which also estimated to produces around 600HP all of them.

The Porsche is like a future supercar, but the real power figures and pricetag is yet to be unveiled. All just a speculation. This car right here priced at an estimated price of 100,000 Euro but with these tons of technologies and bla bla bla could also costs a lot more than that.

Future will tell if they are real direct competitor or not. Audi R-Tron and Mercedes SLS Hybird are surely the direct competitor to this car...

The Porsche 918 is going to have over 700 horses & run just over $600,000. This car is not going to be a competitor by any means.

The Porsche 918 is going to have over 700 horses & run just over $600,000. This car is not going to be a competitor by any means.

Thanks for that info...

EDIT: The concept car uses a mid-mounted 493bhp 3.4-litre V8 derived from the firm's Spyder racing car, capable of revving to 9200rpm, plus two electric motors, which add a further 160kW (215bhp).

Sounds like the M100 is still somewhere around there... 400HP + 150-200HP from the Electric motors.

My thoughts exactly...And looks like you'd be getting like 20km of range out of it if you drive it hard...Most people complain about plugin cars only making it 50-100 miles...Try living with a 10-30 mile range.

Ah, there is a supercar under 300hp: the Tesla Roadster Sport. Although I can't really say Elon Musk is good.

And I was wrong about the previous comment, the car is nice, but the production better be less fussier.

Ah, there is a supercar under 300hp: the Tesla Roadster Sport. Although I can't really say Elon Musk is good.

And I was wrong about the previous comment, the car is nice, but the production better be less fussier.

I personally wouldn't call the Tesla Roadster Sport a 'supercar', but of course, that is just subjective. The point I am trying to make, this BMW may well look sporty, handle beautify but I still can't see it keeping up with high performance sports cars, let alone 'supercars'. Nor can I see it keep up with its supposed competitor the 918 for that matter, which was the original point I was trying to get across.

Thread revival! Better than creating a new one...

According to BMWBLOG.COM, the production version of the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept was spotted during a photoshoot in Abu Dhabi by a member of Teamspeed.

6H0P2356-1.jpg

bmw_i8_supercar_2-655x437.jpg

bmw_i8_supercar_4-655x437.jpg

d8a508b3-655x488.jpg

Some important informations:

• Vision EfficientDynamics will make its debut as a production car at the end of 2013, with deliveries beginning in early 2014.
  • Possibly to be named as BMW i8.
  • Features a 1.5 liter three-cylinder turbocharged engine producing 163 hp and 214 lb-ft of torque all on its own.
  • The diesel engined is aided by two electric engines. First one, in a rear-end placement, produces a constant 33 horsepower and 214 lb-ft of torque. The second electric motor sits at the front of the car for a perfect weight distribution. The electric unit outputs 80 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque.
  • Temporary boost feature meant that for 30 seconds it could produce 112 horsepower or as much as 139 horsepower for just 10 seconds.
  • The 1,450 kg sports car runs from 0-62 mph in only 4.8 seconds.
  • The car will charge from a conventional power socket in just 2.5 hours.
  • Fuel efficiency will approach 90 miles per gallon.
  • Electric-only driving range of about 31 miles, while diesel power extends the total range of the vehicle to up to 435 miles.
  • Rumored $200,000 price tag.

There's no way that door will pass government safety standards. looks like they're just driving the concept around.

kudos for making a runner, though.

All that stuff had me right up until the bit about the $200k price tag...

I think the price should be a bit lower than that because BMW has yet to finalise anything and that is just a rumour. $200,000 is a bit too ridiculous for an Eco-Supercar...

Especially given that it's still only a range-extended hybrid rather than a full electric car. It performs at roughly the same level as the Tesla Roadster yet has to use a diesel generator to do so. It's heavier than the Tesla and costs twice the price.

Fair enough, the range is roughly double the Roadster but if you're going to get an eco sports car you may as well do it properly. It looks cool and it's a BMW so people will buy them, but that doesn't mean it'll be a very good car.

Especially given that it's still only a range-extended hybrid rather than a full electric car. It performs at roughly the same level as the Tesla Roadster yet has to use a diesel generator to do so. It's heavier than the Tesla and costs twice the price.

BMW's Megacity 'i' vehicles will be fully electric so they have that base covered.

It looks cool and it's a BMW so people will buy them, but that doesn't mean it'll be a very good car.

Generally, if you buy a BMW then you are buying a good car, and I'd certainly rather buy from a mass manufacturer that is represented around the world in most cities, and will be able to offer after sales support for the life of the car and will probably still be around long after I'm dead --- like BMW, rather than Tesla Motors, I just think it is a much easier, and less risky proposition.

Back