• 173 comments

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
- Its a Honda CRX With Back Seats - KOREAN STYLE!

01-hyundai-veloster-live-opt.jpg

The not-really-a-secret Hyundai Veloster blew into Detroit this morning packing far more surprises than anyone had really expected. Yeah, its a coupe is hatchback like we already knew, but damn (!) - They actually did it right! Hyundai packed a lot into the little car, but more importantly, they kept it light... Only a little more than 2500 lbs. Power comes from a 138 BHP 1.6L I4, and it will be matched to a six-speed manual or a new six-speed, Hyundai developed, dual clutch gearbox. Nothing has be said on performance, but all signs point to it being a pretty special little car. Prices are due to start around $17K in the US, and it will go on sale this summer.

MORE information from Autoblog
MORE information from Jalopnik

In general, I dig it. The look may be a shade too funky, but given that I love the way the Nissan Juke looks, what do I know? My guess is that it would be a hoot to drive, and the price seems reasonable as well. I look forward to seeing one in person!

Korea is the new Japan. Hyundai has been pulling the right moves for a while now. Kia has stylish cars and quality. They are still developing their brand image and are still dragging some of the old stigma of crappy cars (that the Japanese had in the 70s too), but if they continue doing the right things the stigma will go away soon.

Korea is the new Japan. Hyundai has been pulling the right moves for a while now. Kia has stylish cars and quality. They are still developing their brand image and are still dragging some of the old stigma of crappy cars (that the Japanese had in the 70s too), but if they continue doing the right things the stigma will go away soon.

Exactly my thoughts. Hyandai and Kia are beginning to make some truly fantastic cars. I'm starting to really respect the Korean Automotive industry.

Compared to these guys... What the smeg have Toyota been doing over the past decade?

I've never seen such an ugly car with such potential to be stunningly beautiful. I don't know what they were thinking with some of the treatment on the exterior. If they kept it clean and scirocco-like they would've had a stunner. The interior is A+ though. This car with that 2.0 Twin-scroll GDI would be buh-buh-banging.

The back looks real nice, but the front is way too fat. It needs some slimmer lines.

What's with automakers and stupidly large blind spots?

What's with automakers and stupidly large blind spots?

Blind spots aren't that bad with cars that small. As long as you can see out the back, you should have a completely field of vision like I do in my car.

Blind spots aren't that bad with cars that small. As long as you can see out the back, you should have a completely field of vision like I do in my car.

That's part of the problem though, considering how high up the rear window is and the fact that the headrests seem to take up another 20% of the field of view...

11-hyundai-veloster-live.jpg

Hard to tell, but the bottom line of the window seems to me like it's nearly at eye level!

I'm sure if I was blind I would give this car a second thought. I like funky cars, but there is funky and there is ugly. Nose is ugly. Rear, head on is just awful. They're calling this a coupe? How can you make the Genesis coupe and the Sonata and then come out with this? The roof line looks like they tried to copy the 370Z but didn't like the downward slope enough so they raised it into a hatch.

It may not be exactly a looka, but judging by Hyundai's recent line-up, it should be the hell out of a pocket car. I was expecting to see a little bit more of Sonata in it's exterior, though.

If it wasn't for the whole 3-door thing it would be great.

Glad to see the hatchback market is making a comeback.👍

Blind spot death trap incoming.

It is amazing though how much progress the Koreans are making in the styling and performance. I am liking how the Genesis coupe looks more and more, and the Forte Koup from Kia is quite nice too, certainly better than the Scion and Honda counterparts.

Blind spot death trap incoming.

Cars do not have 'blind spots'.

When you look at your side mirrors, do you see the same car/cars that are in your rear view mirror? The answer is probably yes.

If a car is behind you and you can see them in your side mirrors, you have a 'blind spot' b/c your side mirrors are not adjusted correctly.

Once a car exits the view of your rear view mirror, such as passing you, that car should then start entering the view of either side mirror. The problem is 99.999% of people on the road adjust their side mirrors so they can see the pin-striping on their car. This is not how it's done.

With correctly aimed side mirrors, blind spots do not exist and there should never be a need to look over your shoulder to see if there's traffic.

Cars do not have 'blind spots'.

When you look at your side mirrors, do you see the same car/cars that are in your rear view mirror? The answer is probably yes.

If a car is behind you and you can see them in your side mirrors, you have a 'blind spot' b/c your side mirrors are not adjusted correctly.

Once a car exits the view of your rear view mirror, such as passing you, that car should then start entering the view of either side mirror. The problem is 99.999% of people on the road adjust their side mirrors so they can see the pin-striping on their car. This is not how it's done.

With correctly aimed side mirrors, blind spots do not exist and there should never be a need to look over your shoulder to see if there's traffic.

From far away you are correct, however once the car gets closer there is one.
image001.gif

Notice in the third pic the car is barely in the mirror, if it were farther over you would not be able to see it. Of course that's assuming that the cars are both the same size, if it's a smaller car or a motorcycle the blind spot will be even bigger.

Mirrors can only display so much and unless you have panoramic ones there is indeed a blind spot.

Also, not sure about where you live but not looking over your shoulder before switching lanes is an instant fail while taking a drivers test.

Last edited:
Notice in the third pic the car is barely in the mirror, if it were farther over you would not be able to see it. Of course that's assuming that the cars are both the same size, if it's a smaller car or a motorcycle the blind spot will be even bigger.

Mirrors can only display so much and unless you have panoramic ones there is indeed a blind spot.

Also, not sure about where you live but not looking over your shoulder before switching lanes is an instant fail while taking a drivers test.

If you are in a head restraint, then those pics are valid.

If you even so much as slightly lean & turn your head, those pics are invalid.

I'd argue all day long that slightly turning & leaning your head towards the mirror is safer, faster, and more convenient than turning your head/body to check your blind spot. Things like peripheral vision, your ears, and being aware of how fast said car is overtaking you are the nuances that cannot be explained well in a driver's ed book or explained well through pictures.

Anyone can pass a driver's test. Drunks, drug addicts, hyperactive teenagers, seniors with dementia, you name it. Driving tests, much like any state/federal test, just ask if you know the basic rules; stop, go, signals, etc. The actual 'driving' part, in my Motor-Voter state anyway, means very little.

If you're saying that if you point your side mirrors at your pinstripes is OK - you're wrong. 99.9% of people on the road do this and have the dreaded 'blind spot'.

When you're directly behind a car, look at the side mirror if it's in view. Can you see the driver's face? Repeat this over and over and tell me how many times you do not see the driver. My guess, it'll be ZERO.

There's your blind spot. Poorly adjusted mirrors. Rent a car, drive a friend's, borrow your parents car, or go for some test drives. I've never ever ever seen a car with properly adjusted mirrors with only 1 exception; the driver has an SCCA/NASA racing license or membership.

Adjust your mirrors and blind spots go away. Simple as that.

If it wasn't for the whole 3-door thing it would be great.
I love the three-door thing, but I find it really impractical for us driving on the left side of the road.
I thought the Koreans drove of the LHS, too?

I'm glad to see all of the love/hate comments in this thread. It means they have succeded in not building a boring car. 👍 to Hyundai.

You've never sat in a 370 Z or Mustang, clearly.
Or a Toyota Hi-Ace.

Sigh...

DSC02714.jpg

Obviously you can see it out the window, but you can't see it in the mirror without an additional mirror.

Are they sold without mirrors?

I drive an RSX, whose trunk is 70% window. My mirrors are facing away from the car, but I don't usually use them because I've been caught by surprise a few times when I decided turn my head to make sure what I saw in the mirror was a safe, empty lane. This is particularly true because people always drive on each others asses. If the RSX had a 4-foot wide pillar of sheet metal in that back corner, it wouldn't be nearly as easy to drive.

And all this still doesn't help the fact that navigating in reverse is the real problem. So I'm just not sold on mirrors "canceling out" blind spots. They definitely do exist.

Sigh...

Obviously you can see it out the window, but you can't see it in the mirror without an additional mirror.

Once again, there's one of the tiny nuances of driving.

To see the mirror you have to look out the window, right? You have peripheral vision...use it.

BTW: is that what you see when you look at the side mirror? If so, are you afraid your pin stripes will be stolen or if your fuel door is open?

That's because... you can see it out the window! 💡

Also, it's not like your head is fixed in one place. You can lean around to get different angles of reflection from the mirror.

Once again, there's one of the tiny nuances of driving.

To see the mirror you have to look out the window, right? You have peripheral vision...use it.

Thing is, peripheral vision doesn't do any good when there is a pillar in the way.

BTW: is that what you see when you look at the side mirror? If so, are you afraid your pin stripes will be stolen or if your fuel door is open?

1) What world do you live in where new cars still have pinstripes.

2) That's not my pic, I just used one I found to prove a point, that there is always a blind spot, you can make it smaller but there is still one.

3) My mirrors aren't anywhere near that angle.

That's because... you can see it out the window! 💡

Yes, but where is the rest of the car?

Also, it's not like your head is fixed in one place. You can lean around to get different angles of reflection from the mirror.

Wouldn't that possibly make you lose focus on the road?

2) That's not my pic, I just used one I found to prove a point, that there is always a blind spot, you can make it smaller but there is still one.

My point is that any and all blind spots are created by the driver not adjusting their mirrors properly, by not using their neck/head/eyes, and not the result of a vehicle's design.

If you chatting on your iPhone or you're in a neck brace, sure, there's things you can't see. But if the driver puts the phone down, is in good health, doesn't wear an eye patch, and has all 3 mirrors pointed in the right places - no blind spot.

It's easier to explain & show in-person. I have customers say the same thing about blind-spots and a 5min demonstration & test drive later they usually have a come to Jesus moment.

It's a ridiculously simple concept, like tying your shoes, but difficult to explain in print form.

BTW: visit your local GM dealer (skeezier the better) to witness the glory of $3-500 dealer add on pinstripes.

Blind spots exist no matter how much you want to deny it. It's not a matter of mirror adjustment not turning ones head.. hence why cars are starting to have these cameras and radars installed on their mirrors that show/alert the driver.

Guys, don't feed the troll.

So, just what is it that Honda needs to learn from this? Power and weight are right where an R18 Civic is. Its not a CR-Z competitor. People who want a CR-Z aren't going to cross-shop this. And its ugly as sin, though I'm sure some teenage girls will decide its cute, like all ugly hatchbacks.

Are they sold without mirrors?

The real question is, have you ever driven a car?

My MR-S, with mirrors, has a massive blind spot over the left shoulder. And yes, I can use the mirror, but I have to move my head all over to make sure nothing is actually in that spot. There is a limit to how much mirrors can compensate for a quick glance over the shoulder.

But now I'll just await your insults towards my intelligence/literacy/driving skill/eye sight.

Last edited:
Back