2012 VW Beetle

I think it looks a lot better than the last version, but somehow, it reminds me of the Chrysler PT Cruiser. :crazy:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/spied!-2012-volkswagen-new-beetle

spied!-2012-volkswagen-new-beetle.jpg

2012-volkswagen-new-beetle-spied.jpg

2012-volkswagen-new-beetle.jpg

Its a nice tweak and it seems to be even more retro than the previous 'new beetle'. I'm sure there was the urge to go a totally different design direction from the last one but seeing as its become an icon in its own right I'm glad this comes across more as a facelift.

I just hope they have kept the dashboard flower vase, if they havent its a tragedy!

Robin.

I know there are people out there that love these things, fair enough each to their own, but ugh, jeez! I can't stand them!

I know there are people out there that love these things, fair enough each to their own, but ugh, jeez! I can't stand them!

I'm with you on that one.

A little interesting realization came across me just now: I've yet to see a man drive one.

I kind of like it, think they did a good job. Redesigning a car like this while keeping the iconic Beetle shape is hard to do.

Wonder if they kept the in-dash flower vase?

I think the overall body shape of that looks good, but then the fenders, bumpers, headlights all look really cheap and tacked on.

Wonder if they kept the in-dash flower vase?

I hope they have, its one of the best bits of the car! :sly:

I'm seeing a slight Scirocco resemblance on the first half of the car all the way up past the windscreen to the end of the door, particularly at the A pillar kink. Its like they bolted huge wheel arches on to one!

Last edited:
In my opinion, it looks better than its predecessor. Others already said, the flower vase needs to be retained as it's probably one of the unique feature of this car.

Proportionally it looks a little closer to the classic Beetle than the last New Beetle did. The front is a little more retro too, it appears to have been styled to look like a classic Beetle with the chrome "eyelids" you occasionally see, with a slightly sleeply look:

3874654896_f0c7eabde9.jpg

My only major reservation with the design is that it looks very under-wheeled. I'm not normally a fan of massive wheels but the new shape absolutely dwarfs the wheels it's on in the images above, even though they look about 16". I reckon you'd be looking at 18" minimum to look in proportion with the rest of the car.

I hope those aren't production bumpers on the mule. They jut out a mile and the grilles on the front look all wrong like they're pointing in every different direction. But I like the more retro design with the longer hood, flatter roof, and more vertical windshield.

Don't like it.
They are taking the wrong approach, it looks stretched and distorted. If they made it a city car it would work with a distinct beetle shape, short and tall with the correct curves.

But I like the more retro design with the longer hood, flatter roof, and more vertical windshield.

That reminds me of another benefit to the new design - look where the driver is sitting in relation to the leading edge of the windscreen.

In the old car, you sit an absolutely ridiculous distance back from the screen. You could play football on the dashboard it's that big, and because you sit fairly low, forward visibility is terrible.

The new car is more car, less MPV.

I think they're going after the wrong segment to be honest. Basing it on the Golf size base they are just diluting the market they already have the TT and Scirocco in. Their target should have been the Fiat 500 and the Mini by using the Polo as a basis for it.

Let's face it this is a girls car and cute and small is the order of the day.

Proportionally it looks a little closer to the classic Beetle than the last New Beetle did. The front is a little more retro too, it appears to have been styled to look like a classic Beetle with the chrome "eyelids" you occasionally see, with a slightly sleeply look:

[ img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/3874654896_f0c7eabde9.jpg[/img]

My only major reservation with the design is that it looks very under-wheeled. I'm not normally a fan of massive wheels but the new shape absolutely dwarfs the wheels it's on in the images above, even though they look about 16". I reckon you'd be looking at 18" minimum to look in proportion with the rest of the car.

Couldn't agree more.

I think they're going after the wrong segment to be honest. Basing it on the Golf size base they are just diluting the market they already have the TT and Scirocco in. Their target should have been the Fiat 500 and the Mini by using the Polo as a basis for it.

Let's face it this is a girls car and cute and small is the order of the day.

With both of you.

They do, and it makes the overhangs too long.

That's the fault of the US of A crash regulations though. Wouldn't be the first time a design has been compromised to meet US crash regulations.

That thang uuugly. If I was in that Oprah audience I'd trade mine in for Golf TDI or something. :lol:

I'm with you on that one.

A little interesting realization came across me just now: I've yet to see a man drive one.

I drove one when I worked at a dealership. Was a 1.8T, so I was curious as to how fast it was. It scooted ok, wasn't terribly exciting. That also when I found out you can't brake boost a stock turbo VW. They don't like it. :P

You realize that the New Beetle was based on the MKIV chassis to begin with, right? So, it has been TT/Golf/Jetta based for quite some time, and has done little to cannibalize those sales, even when they crammed a bunch of sporty bits and pieces in there to make it a little more attractive. Just sayin'.

All in all, I look forward to seeing the production version of the car. What I'm worried about is that, as they continue to dilute the "better" VW products as of late, it kills any chance of seeing a new Beetle Turbo S come back again. Having the MKVI chassis with the 2.0T and a DSG gearbox would be a lot of fun in this awkwardly shaped car. Do it right and it could be a better buy than the Jetta.

You realize that the New Beetle was based on the MKIV chassis to begin with, right? So, it has been TT/Golf/Jetta based for quite some time, and has done little to cannibalize those sales, even when they crammed a bunch of sporty bits and pieces in there to make it a little more attractive. Just sayin'.

I do yes and like I said the ideal market for this kind of cutesy, retro, fashion statement type car is the early to mid 20's women for whom it's always been a class size too large. If VW made it a class size smaller the customers who bought it would either still buy it or go for the TT or Scirocco if they wanted the larger car.

Interesting proportions, but I think it looks a little too bloated. I particularly don't like how the front bumpers hangs out like a duck beak and the finicky window indents and side sills.

Really VW, are all that necessary? The Beetle is suppose to be simply designed.

Those bumpers look ridiculous. They're far too long front and back, it looks like a really bad bodykit :lol:

Back