Got £38,000?...Buy an Alfa 4C

• Thread starter Neal
  • 380 comments

Neal

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
GTP_EvilNeal
Wow! Words can't describe how good this thing looks and with a X-Bow chassis underneath it will be an amazing drive.

Alfa’s 4C Concept makes an entrance

car_photo_427519_25.jpg

car_photo_427513_25.jpg

car_photo_427426_25.jpg

car_photo_427435_25.jpg

car_photo_427423_25.jpg

car_photo_427432_25.jpg

car_photo_427429_25.jpg

car_photo_427414_25.jpg

car_photo_427420_25.jpg

car_photo_427417_25.jpg

Meet Alfa’s new halo car! The 4C Concept has made its debut at the Geneva show, and previews a new range-topping coupe that’s set to go on sale at the end of 2012.

The 4C is a spiritual successor to the Duetto Spider – a stylish, affordable two-seater which went out of production in 1994. The new car will cost around £38,000 when it hits showrooms at a similar time to Alfa’s new Giulia, which replaces the 159.

The design of the 4C draws heavily on Alfa’s previous 8C supercar and the limited edition 33 Stradale of the late 1960s. Built entirely from carbon fibre, the car’s body has been designed with lines that are supposed to be “graceful and clean.”

Under the skin, the 4C uses an evolution of the composite chassis and tub that was created by Italian firm Dallara for KTM’s X-Bow. In the Alfa, the composite cockpit remains, but has been redesigned to incorporate a pair of doors, while the front and rear subframes are made from aluminium. This keeps weight down below 850kg.

The rear-engined layout of the X-Bow remains, but power comes from a 250bhp version of the 1.75-litre turbo petrol engine found in the Giulietta. The engine drives the rear wheels through Alfa’s TCT twin-clutch gearbox.

Alfa claims that the 4C should sprint from 0-62mph in under five seconds, and hit a top speed of over 155mph. The car also uses an evolution of the motorsport-inspired suspension set up of the X-Bow, and features a 40-60 front to rear weight distribution, which should ensure lively handling.

At present, Alfa plans to built around 20,000 versions of the 4C over a five-year production run. It is yet to decide whether the car will be sold in the US, but the firm has confirmed that there will also be a more stripped-out version it will brand as an Abarth model.

Last edited:
For a little over 61k? Dammit!

I love every bit of it. I need to find a job, or start robbing banks. :lol:

Wow for that price who wouldn't buy it! :drool: I love how Alpha always goes bonkers with styling and love the matt red paintjob. Now the whole range is starting to match... Mito, Giulietta etc.

I'll need to go against the grain and say I don't like the styling. It reminds me of an Elise that's let itself go and is piling on the pounds. In order to regain its looks, it's also had a nose job that's went slightly wrong.

On the other hand, it's based on a car lighter than the Elise, so...that thing must be a teeny little thing.

I'll need to go against the grain and say I don't like the styling. It reminds me of an Elise that's let itself go and is piling on the pounds. In order to regain its looks, it's also had a nose job that's went slightly wrong.

Bingo. The elise looks like a masterpiece of form following function, this looks like someone has aped the 8C design language without actually appreciating why it works so well on that car.

Alfa don't do little cars well, look at the mito, they basically take an actually stylish car, splash on their badge and some alfa design cue's and ruin it.

Not what I would call pretty, but it definitely looks cool. More like a car than the X-bow for sure.

Indeed, my first thoughts were that it looks like a less pretty Evora. But then I also think the MiTo is a pretty horrid looking thing from all but a couple of angles.

Slam a $50K sticker on the car and ship it to the US. It is the perfect launch vehicle for Alfa Romeo if they decide to do it. Bring some people in to look at the 4C, sell them a 159. Perfect.

I'd like to see a stripped down version with Fiat badges. Do a Twin-Air engine and a DCT gearbox, and that would be one crazy-fun car.

Separated at birth

:lol: Remind me to hire you when I need to start a slur campaign against someone. I do see the similarities in the Elise...and Insectosaurus. It's still a good looking car should be a proper drivers car.

It seems like someone throw a 8C into a washing machine and set the wrong washing program... "Look honey, your car shrinked!"

That is pretty awesome, but I'll be having trouble picking this over a slightly used elise which will be much cheaper..

Slam a $50K sticker on the car and ship it to the US. It is the perfect launch vehicle for Alfa Romeo if they decide to do it. Bring some people in to look at the 4C, sell them a 159. Perfect.

There's no way that much carbon fiber is possible for 50K. Not 61, either.

Love it! Lotus should do something now! Oh ... and please not to rebadge it to Chrysler for North America folks, sell it as is!

I was going to say it looks like an Alfa-bodied Elise. Ugly, at least in these shots, but bound to be one helluva fun car.

car_photo_427423_25.jpg

Not a great angle by any means, but what a fantastic looking car. Also liking the matte colour.

Latest Posts

Back