1886 Motor Carriage around the 'ring! (in about 2 days)

• Thread starter James2097
  • 622 comments
All I can say is, wow, congrads, I doubt I would have the time or the patience to try that with that car, and... well... wow.

Yeah, I sounded rather stupid, least I'm not making a very long drawn out thread like I did a lot at the GT3 drift forums... though I'll prob do so in due time.

That's about it, yeah, nonesnse from me like usuall, till later.

thegreatms
My journey is over!!!!

332'21.109 total time.

I guess that puts me in second place. That was one of the craziest things I've done in GT. I have to say it was easier knowing that it could be done, but i still felt like crying on some of the really steep hills. OR that really long gentle one. I recorded some split times but i missed most in the end because it was too intense.

T1 2'21.097
T2 34'38.034
T3 36'31.314
T4 39'02.031
over hill ~53'52
over next hill ~67'00
T5 67'44.387
same gentle sloped' hill ~75'24
LONG A$$ HILL 175'22
enter the carousal 188'33
over long and steep hill after carousal 292'40
free wheel for awhile, even have to tap brake a bit around on corner
next short hill 300'21
T10 317'50.731
done! 332'21.109

not the best but im happy with it. :)

maybe i try it again next weekend... :crazy: then again maybe not

WELL DONE MATE, nice one, good to see people going for it. i tried but i (this is true) got so frustrated i broke two buttons on my pad, so had to go out and get another one.

_kamikazefly_
WELL DONE MATE, nice one, good to see people going for it. i tried but i (this is true) got so frustrated i broke two buttons on my pad, so had to go out and get another one.

Did anyone try it in B-Spec mode yet? :sly:

Admins, it would be a crime not to have a "1889 Motor Carriage on the 'Ring" section in the Fastest Times Forum. Deserves recognition.

thegreatms
My journey is over!!!!

332'21.109 total time.

I guess that puts me in second place. That was one of the craziest things I've done in GT. I have to say it was easier knowing that it could be done, but i still felt like crying on some of the really steep hills. OR that really long gentle one. I recorded some split times but i missed most in the end because it was too intense.

Mate i know exactly how you feel, its kinda like an initiation, but physcotic and self imposed, i feel a lot better now that i have done it....... and someone didnt beat me first try, but bloody good effort.....

put your time in the arcarde forum, i have mine in there

I don't know how you guys do it but I can't get over the second, or is it the first, hill :indiff:

Man, I just got that crap you guys are calling a car... what is the point of wasting disc space with such a crap? Ok, I bet it was a helluva fun doing this crazy laps in the ring (not kidding, still laughing since I started reading this thread) but come'on, this carriage sucks big time.

kikie
I don't know how you guys do it but I can't get over the second, or is it the first, hill :indiff:

That first hill is very tough. It has a steep part that is discouraging, but thankfully short. Here are some tips.

1. Make sure you upped the power and lowered the weight with quick-tune.
2. Pick the softest tires.
3. Have ASM and TC on.
4. Make sure you know how to freewheel, by tapping e-brake. Check my first split time; you should be with in a few seconds of that.
5. Using my speed from the downhill I coast up the uphill and hit the gas when I drop to 11 mph to try and get as high as I can. I get to maybe 5 meters before a sign on the left side, about 10 meters before the white graffiti.
6. On the way up I'm on the left side of the hill and as I come to a stop I point towards the inside of the ring.
7. This part is very steep and I was not able to do a true pendulum curve swing as I did on the latter shallow hills. I basically when in the straight line across the hill at as steep an angle possible. The angle was maybe 15-20 degrees from perpendicular to the track, only going 1 mph maybe 2. At the far end I turn the wheel slightly to the right to curve my car a bit and change the angle to about 10 degrees from perpendicular. This would let me roll backward to the other side, again at 1mph if you go more you are going to lose too much ground. Each time up you gain a little ground. I watch the fence on the side to make sure I’m moving forward. There are polls about 1 meter apart, you can get about 1/2 a poll each time. After about 10-15 polls you get deep into the graffiti section and the hill gets less steep. At that point you can start trying to turn a little and get more speed on the way up maybe 3-4 mph. Use the pendulum motion described on the first page, then slowly roll back and repeat.

I found this hill and one near the end after the carrousel to be the steepest. Other’s where much longer but not as steep.

Right on dude. Wow I never got a whole 1/2 gap between poles height each go! Funny that the motor carriage comes with TCS as stock...

Whats that person complaining that the car ain't very good? Really? I didn't realise! Isn't that the point? Hmmm... Oh so thats why I can't win the 24 hr nurb' race!
I might need to upgrade to the model T...
200,000,000 A-spec points coming my way mwahahaha! Just watch me ride the front bumber of the minolta all the way and take the win! Might need to slam the opposition into the fence so they get stuck in the polys for the entire race though, with me trundling past them now and then. MWAHAHA!

thegreatms
That first hill is very tough. It has a steep part that is discouraging, but thankfully short. Here are some tips.

1. Make sure you upped the power and lowered the weight with quick-tune.
2. Pick the softest tires.
3. Have ASM and TC on.
4. Make sure you know how to freewheel, by tapping e-brake. Check my first split time; you should be with in a few seconds of that.
5. Using my speed from the downhill I coast up the uphill and hit the gas when I drop to 11 mph to try and get as high as I can. I get to maybe 5 meters before a sign on the left side, about 10 meters before the white graffiti.
6. On the way up I'm on the left side of the hill and as I come to a stop I point towards the inside of the ring.
7. This part is very steep and I was not able to do a true pendulum curve swing as I did on the latter shallow hills. I basically when in the straight line across the hill at as steep an angle possible. The angle was maybe 15-20 degrees from perpendicular to the track, only going 1 mph maybe 2. At the far end I turn the wheel slightly to the right to curve my car a bit and change the angle to about 10 degrees from perpendicular. This would let me roll backward to the other side, again at 1mph if you go more you are going to lose too much ground. Each time up you gain a little ground. I watch the fence on the side to make sure I’m moving forward. There are polls about 1 meter apart, you can get about 1/2 a poll each time. After about 10-15 polls you get deep into the graffiti section and the hill gets less steep. At that point you can start trying to turn a little and get more speed on the way up maybe 3-4 mph. Use the pendulum motion described on the first page, then slowly roll back and repeat.

I found this hill and one near the end after the carrousel to be the steepest. Other’s where much longer but not as steep.
👍

:nervous: TO TRY OR NOT TO TRY, THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!

Congrats to all who have accomplished the nurb in the benz'
To all who rag people for doing such a feat....stfu.
Yet i dont think i could have the patience to attempt it. so ill leave you boys with the 👍 and bi2u :dopey:

That's just awesome! I consider stuff like this in GT on a par with the speed runs in games like Quake.

I tried B-Speccing with the Model T around the Ring, and the driver choken about half way round. Not done it myself, but I'm inspired to try now:) (Not got the patience for the carriage.)

Bonedwarf
That's just awesome! I consider stuff like this in GT on a par with the speed runs in games like Quake.

I tried B-Speccing with the Model T around the Ring, and the driver choken about half way round. Not done it myself, but I'm inspired to try now:) (Not got the patience for the carriage.)

carriage is to Model T as Model T is to Mclaren SLR

I've been running more tests, I think TCS on/ASM off is the best way to go. I'll be back with more info later.

i think arcade mode is totally cheating. one thing's for sure....it's not the authentic ride.

you should really do your trials in gt mode, and enter your times in the category as well. i have long since entered mine for the Sarthe 2.

Omnis
i think arcade mode is totally cheating. one thing's for sure....it's not the authentic ride.

you should really do your trials in gt mode, and enter your times in the category as well. i have long since entered mine for the Sarthe 2.

well you could call it cheating, but it's not like we are hiding it. Try it in gt mode, I did, and it was very close to impossible. If you can do it in gt you will have earned my repsect many times over. I believe the N'ring has much steeper and longer hills than Sarth 2, so that is not really a valid comparision.

I think i will try it again in gt, in a bit. After I'm done in arcade. As i am getting better at it in arcade (with the 20% hp boost and 10% weight reduction) each time; I might have a smigine of a chance in gt mode.

we will see, i challenge at a time.

I am sure everyone here has always drawn attention to the fact (I know I have) that arcade mode is not the 'ideal' way of completing the lap, and that GT mode would be better for the pure integrity of the lap. We have always been aware of this, and have simply used arcade because we feel GT mode could well be impossible.

Omnis, I challenge you to TRY and complete a lap in GT mode if you are so adament you have a valid objection. If it is indeed impossible to do (in GT mode) then your views have not much cred. However, if it IS possible to ACTUALLY DO A LAP in GT mode, then you have a MORE than valid objection to us using arcade mode, and we are all nancy boys.

In fact I challenge anyone to complete the lap in GT mode... I feel very sorry for anyone who tries this...

I suppose for Omnis' "pure" idea of how the run should be done, you're not allowed TCS, ASM etc. Full weight, less power. That is my idea of torture.

I thought arcade mode was cheating also, until I realised I just had unrealistically high ideals... I mean the car is still no great shakes in arcade mode, but would indeed shake quite a bit. We are only cheating if we don't admit GT mode would ideally be the better place to do as realistic lap as possible. As we are (so far) only comparing arcade mode times to themselves, with similar realism, it is definately a valid challenge for its own sake, not to be compared to anyone using GT mode like Omnis' La Sarthe runs. We have a competition that is completely seperate from comparison to other runs people do, and therefore is valid on its own merit. It is still VERY hard to do the lap in arcade, and anyone who completes the lap is indeed worthy of praise and respect IMO!

Edit: you got in before me with the same post effectively thegreatms, good work! Whether it is/n't possible at all to do a lap in GT mode would be a revelation and an important (for this thread at least) thing to know.:)

James2097
I am sure everyone here has always drawn attention to the fact (I know I have) that arcade mode is not the 'ideal' way of completing the lap, and that GT mode would be better for the pure integrity of the lap. We have always been aware of this, and have simply used arcade because we feel GT mode could well be impossible.

Omnis, I challenge you to TRY and complete a lap in GT mode if you are so adament you have a valid objection. If it is indeed impossible to do (in GT mode) then your views have not much cred. However, if it IS possible to ACTUALLY DO A LAP in GT mode, then you have a MORE than valid objection to us using arcade mode, and we are all nancy boys.

In fact I challenge anyone to complete the lap in GT mode... I feel very sorry for anyone who tries this...

I suppose for Omnis' "pure" idea of how the run should be done, you're not allowed TCS, ASM etc. Full weight, less power. That is my idea of torture.

I thought arcade mode was cheating also, until I realised I just had unrealistically high ideals... I mean the car is still no great shakes in arcade mode, but would indeed shake quite a bit. We are only cheating if we don't admit GT mode would ideally be the better place to do as realistic lap as possible. As we are (so far) only comparing arcade mode times to themselves, with similar realism, it is definately a valid challenge for its own sake, not to be compared to anyone using GT mode like Omnis' La Sarthe runs. We have a competition that is completely seperate from comparison to other runs people do, and therefore is valid on its own merit. It is still VERY hard to do the lap in arcade, and anyone who completes the lap is indeed worthy of praise and respect IMO!

Edit: you got in before me with the same post effectively thegreatms, good work! Whether it is/n't possible at all to do a lap in GT mode would be a revelation and an important (for this thread at least) thing to know.:)

k... I could try. i think torture is the whole idea, though. hahaha.

and yes, if i do complete the lap, i want full rights to call you all nancy boys. ;)

i have no objections to your challenges and contests....i just want the playing field as level as possible, and i think that the best way to do that is to just play in GT Mode. the important thing is that it does get done sooner or later....it's just something that is bound to be conquered.

oh, and when i meant cheating....i just meant i thought it was wrong because the car isn't tunable to begin with.

Bonedwarf

Model T?
my PB at the ring is 14'49"143 (N1 tires). This car seems slower than it is. It has a huge 2900cc engine, and a lot of torque compared to the low power.
The worst car after the 1886's is the Daihatsu Midget. My pb is 17'02"312 (N2 tires).
All my times referred to GT mode, stock car.
To know more about slow cars try this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62357

Duck
Model T?
my PB at the ring is 14'49"143 (N1 tires). This car seems slower than it is. It has a huge 2900cc engine, and a lot of torque compared to the low power.
The worst car after the 1886's is the Daihatsu Midget. My pb is 17'02"312 (N2 tires).
All my times referred to GT mode, stock car.
To know more about slow cars try this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62357

hahaha the midget :lol: i laughed sooo much when i saw that!

James2097
I still remember the agony of being forced to do manufacturer midget races in GT2, it 'twas painful.

boggly little headlights staring at you innocently....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: .

now attempting nurburgring in a dihatsu midget II, without my sanity cap!!!

Just wanted to drop in and say, you should post your time to the 'Ring Spot race thread. you whupped us Model T dudes for the slowest car lap. (about 15'46" in the T).

Good Show!

Oh yeah, i just tried la sarth I in gt mode (couldn't do sarth 2 because it's not open for me yet). Man was it easy, not even one steep hill, only one time did i even have to tack back and forth. The entire rest of the time i just tried to keep it at 11 mph. took me: 44'18.376.

N'ring is much harder and much more fun; I will be concentrating on that for a while. Maybe later I'll try some of the tracks with large elevation change like laguna seca.

Back