1987 Buick GNX

• Thread starter wkeil
  • 24 comments
gt452sk.jpg

OK, I'm from the UK and haven't got that much knowledge of US cars, and there seems to be a big enthusiasm about this Buick, so what's it all about? Is this some sort of 80's US legend? Or is it just cheap and powerful and loads of youngsters have got their hands on them now? Answers on a postcard (Well in this thread I suppose is better)

well Its kinda rare, 6 Cyl Turbo, which can be tuned to be a serious beast also had the options of T-Tops :) Only Came in black. I dont know that much about them, But from what i've seen of them they are NICE.

I have some more pics of it in my Photomode Gallery, I just got my Pen Drive so i'll be adding ALOT more tonight.

I love GNX's I am gonig to get one as soon as I get some money, I had enough but i bought a skyper instead. I hope to have one tonight. I like them because there rare, look nice, and are super fast if tuned right. I always watch them down at the drag strip.

the grand national is just one of the most hardcore cars ever built. think MK4 supra for the 80's.

BTW you could get the GN in other colors under the T-type badge. same exact car. the GNX was more like the all black scheme than anything.

my buddy has two t's and his dad has a GN. ownage.

Steeda
Doc! We need 4 cc's of black rims stat! lol :dopey:

I hate the black rims on that car, I wanted the hot rod look to em so I threw on what appered to be American Racing Rims.

If you don't know... you will after you right click, save as.

👍 Damn that thing has got some serious power.

DRIFT GOD: Some nice pics there. Is there any other color available for the GNX perhaps?

Well first off i dont consider Chows GN to be a GN, it doesnt have the original powertrain.

anyways, yes, the GNX was a legend. It was the final push of the grand nationals and the t-types and it was the last true "muscle car" made. What Buick did was send 547 of their grand nationals to AC McClaren (sp?) and they were worked over. In addition to the motor, fender flares, louvers, different wheels, GNX badging, and a number plat on the dash were added. After their rebirth they rolled out with 310 hp and 310 lb/ft. Capable of a flat 13 second quarter mile they were faster than the corvette of the same year making it the fastest production car in 1987. These 547 monsters were dubbed the GNX, or Grand National eXperimental. The project was cut short though do to both lost revenue because they were faster than the vette and much cheaper, and this is right when the fuel economy issue came to light. After the 547th GNX was returned to the GM plant from McClaren, it was checked over, washed, and driven out to the lot to be shipped out to the dealership. The GNX project was terminated and the assembly line for the last muscle car ever was shut down.

This is my dream car...actually any nice grand national is my dream car...i actually bought this game...just for this car...its sad...i know...call it an addiction.

oh, and as far as the color, there were a couple...for the T-Types. The actual Grand Nationals, and the GNXs came only in black. Reminds me when Henry Ford once said; "You can get a Model T in any color...as long as its black". People get the T-Types and the GNs confused.

A buddy of mine in high school had a buick riviera t-type, slightly bigger car, same turbo engine and all blacked out paint scheme. it was quick for a big boat of a car.

Seen in real life a GNX dusting a Viper at a Drag near where i live. 21 PSI of turbo. The front wheels flew in the air at the start....The poor guy whit is viper left after the beating....

Down here in Puerto Rico there is a GN club and there are two actual GNXs here and BOTH are under the 10 seconds. I dunno the specifics of these cars but I've seen them at the local drag track once or twice and the announcer always makes sure everyone knows that a pair of GNXs is about to go down the line. :dopey:

I love that car also. But my dream muscle car is a Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack wich is ALSO in the game. :drool: Already have it fully modded and its doing 10.3 in the 400m. I also setup a Dodge Charger in the game and it did 9.8. Yet to buy a GNX, but I will when I get home today, along with an EVO VIII to try and see how its time in The Ring compares to my STI Spec-C's 6:48.

there are a lot of clone GNXs out there unfortunately...some could be just a regular old regal too. You gotta check the VIN number or the dash plate, but i sure theres places that make the numbered dash plates.

Latest Posts

Back