1st gear redlining

• Thread starter Sharky.
  • 10 comments

Sharky.

MX-5 gang
Premium
New Zealand
Christchurch
I know this happens in basically every powerful car, but how can I stop the car from redlining several times in 1st gear while accelerating from a standstill? :confused: I have a 260hp Gold V6 Turbo (I had a crack at making a Golf R32) that handles beautifully (nice oversteer) but it redlines about four, five times while accelerating from a standing start. I want to fix this without spoiling the handling. It runs the stock gearbox and all I've done to the suspension is lower the ride height to 100mm all around. Does anyone have a remedy for this?

Change the gear ratio.

How far is beyond my knowledge, but if you make the gears taller the needle will take logner to redline and you won't just cause smoke and bounce back off the limiter all the time.

Stinky Chicken
Change the gear ratio.

How far is beyond my knowledge, but if you make the gears taller the needle will take logner to redline and you won't just cause smoke and bounce back off the limiter all the time.
That might work, but I dont want to ruin the acceleration: it gets to 100ks in about 6.4 sec (which is nice and quick in a Golf) :grumpy:

blue_sharky39
I know this happens in basically every powerful car, but how can I stop the car from redlining several times in 1st gear while accelerating from a standstill? :confused: I have a 260hp Gold V6 Turbo (I had a crack at making a Golf R32) that handles beautifully (nice oversteer) but it redlines about four, five times while accelerating from a standing start. I want to fix this without spoiling the handling. It runs the stock gearbox and all I've done to the suspension is lower the ride height to 100mm all around. Does anyone have a remedy for this?

I haven't the slightest, although it is a problem. This happens all the time with high performance stuff, esp. 4WD. My 'remedy' is shifting to second or even third if the car is powerful enough before the race starts. Obviously this will slow me down, but since we have no drag mode....yet......it's not a big deal for me.

Are you using analog or one of the buttons? If you're using analog, the best thing to do is give your car partial throttle, otherwise you'll be flooding the engine and spinning tires no matter what you do. Once you're out of first gear you can floor it.

Another remedy (tho this might affect your perfect acceleration numbers) is to do what others have said: make 1st gear taller. Other than that, I would try axing any flywheels you got installed. Just my 2¢

How have you created the Golf R32? If you have created a hybrid then why not try the flywheel and or clutch from a higher reving car. I started to experiment with using different flywheel's and clutches to compensate for engines with high power but didn't get very far so I'll be interested in knowing if it works. Other than that the advise already given will help.

Also how is the car powered? Turbo, N/A? If N/A then don't rev the engine or keep it low revs until the race has started. If turbo then rev high to start with and then try dropping the revs before the race starts, but not to low. It's a fine art but helps with take off and tires.

Isn't the adjustable limitad slip differential made to solve that problem ? there are 3 settings: accelaration, dceleration and ... starting. So shouldn't softening the starting adjustment do the trick ?

Biased turkey
Isn't the adjustable limitad slip differential made to solve that problem ? there are 3 settings: accelaration, dceleration and ... starting. So shouldn't softening the starting adjustment do the trick ?

No, the limited-slip only comes into play when you're cornering and one wheel has more power than the other. It's purpose is to deliver equal (or nearly equal) power to both wheels so no energy gets wasted.

How much torque do you have?

It might be worth starting in 2nd instead. But as said before, a little less throtle wouldn't be a bad thing.

TMM
How have you created the Golf R32? If you have created a hybrid then why not try the flywheel and or clutch from a higher reving car. I started to experiment with using different flywheel's and clutches to compensate for engines with high power but didn't get very far so I'll be interested in knowing if it works. Other than that the advise already given will help.

Also how is the car powered? Turbo, N/A? If N/A then don't rev the engine or keep it low revs until the race has started. If turbo then rev high to start with and then try dropping the revs before the race starts, but not to low. It's a fine art but helps with take off and tires.
No gameshark. I bought the Golf Gti V6. And a stage 1 turbo, racing exhaust and sports rom.

Back