1st speeding ticket

I just recently got a speeding ticket for going 74mph in a 45 zone. Yeah i know how stupid i am. I'm predicting about a $250 ticket, am i around the right range? I just needed an approximation so i can budget.

if you look at the ticket, isnt there a number you can call to find out how much it will be? or do you not have the ticket in hand yet?

Why did you feel it necessary to drive 75 mph in a 45 zone?

Fines vary state by state, but in Washington, that would be $300-$400. I knew someone in high school who got $500 for going 80mph in a 40 zone.

kylehnat
Why did you feel it necessary to drive 75 mph in a 45 zone?

Fines vary state by state, but in Washington, that would be $300-$400. I knew someone in high school who got $500 for going 80mph in a 40 zone.

My speedometer doesn't work, but i knew how fast i was going. It's a road i usually speed on for like 6months and on fri the 13 there happens to be one. Go ahead flame me, i kno i deserve it.

azndrifter318
I just recently got a speeding ticket for going 74mph in a 45 zone. Yeah i know how stupid i am. I'm predicting about a $250 ticket,

I got a drag racing ticket back in '99 long before "the fast and the faggots" for going 76mph in a 35mph zone and my ticket was $110 total. I was shocked. But, i got a ticket for being late for work last year in Oct. for going 80mph in a 45mph zone and the ticket is $285 and I have to go back to court to get another extension on monday...so for you probably expect about $160-185 depending if it's local cop vs counter sheriff vs state trooper. Those fines between those departments seems to vary alot.

If your going to see the judge, don't tell him your speedometer doesn't work, and that its the reason you were speeding. He could tell you that you should have gotten it fixed long ago, and fine you harder for showing ignorance towards traffic laws, since you should have taken more caution when driving without a speedometer, and you had to have known you were going well over the limit.

I'm not sure how it works in Texas, but in California you simply pay the fine and go to traffic school. A certificate of completion nulls your traffic ticket, thus not increasing your insurance premium.

I would suggest just going ahead and paying the fine and going to traffic school. You'll save more money in the long run. It takes about 3 years for your the points on your driving record to wiped clean.

You go to the judge if you want to contest your ticket. I've been told that oftens times more than not, if you contest the ticket and the cop who wrote your ticket does not show up to court, you're off the hook. I haven't tried this myself so who knows if it works? Maybe for minor things like broken tail lights or no front plates. But a speeding ticket is probably considered as a serious traffic violation. It'd be hard to argue to a judge that you were going fast simply because you have a broken speedometer.

Good luck. I wouldn't sweat it too much, though. It happens to a lot of us.

Back