2005/2006 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX timing belt

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 11 comments
I'm thinking of buying myself a brand new full-option Lancer GLX. I'm kinda curious about the engine's timing belt. What material is it made of? What I know is timing belts are usually made of rubber, which you have to replace after sometime. But the latest thing I've heard is the belt is made of metal (chain belt). Is this true?

Latest thing? sorry but no,

Timing chain's have been around probably aslong as camshafts, for example a small block Chev V8 has a timing chain. Even some DOHC engines like Nissan Silvias SR20 engine have a timing chain instead of a belt.

Some engines have chains, some have belts, some have gears, some have non (rotary :D)

VIPERGTSR01
Latest thing? sorry but no,

Timing chain's have been around probably aslong as camshafts, for example a small block Chev V8 has a timing chain. Even DOHC engines like Nissan Silvias SR20 engine have a timing chain instead of a belt.

Some engines have chains, some have belts, some have gears, some have non (rotary :D)

You mean to say the timing belt in the Lancer's 4G18 is still a solid piece of rubber?

takumi64
You mean to say the timing belt in the Lancer's 4G18 is still a solid piece of rubber?

I didnt even mention the word rubber once or even refer to the Lancer. I dont know what the lancers 4G18 engine has as a cam drive, you might be able to find out on google if I really wanted to but It doesnt matter if its rubber or steel chain the cars brand new you wouldnt need to change the rubber based belt for 60000miles anyway.

Like Young_Warrior said if your really interested/concerned ask the dealer.

Young_Warrior
LOL does it really matter? Why not ask the guys at the dealership.

I think my dad did when we were checking out the full-option GLX at the showroom. I think the dealer said "chain belt". I know the Corolla has a chain belt but I want to know if the Lancer has it too.

I did a little bit of research on the Lancer's valvetrain (valve gear). All it says is "4 valves per cylinder". What does that mean?

I also read the specs of another Mitsubishi vehicle's valvetrain, which specifies that it is chain-driven.

What in God's name is a "chain belt"?

It's got a belt. There is no such thing as a "chain belt". Yes, the belt is made of rubber. It's reinforced by another material, probably fibreglass.

The Corolla doesn't use a "chain belt", it uses a chain.

Does it really matter whether the Lancer uses a belt or a chain? Not really, no.

takumi64
I did a little bit of research on the Lancer's valvetrain (valve gear). All it says is "4 valves per cylinder". What does that mean?

I also read the specs of another Mitsubishi vehicle's valvetrain, which specifies that it is chain-driven.
If it doesn't specify, it's probably a belt.

Okay, "4 valves per cylinder" -- try to keep up here -- means the engine has 4 valves... per cylinder. So, that's 4 cylinders, times 4 valves each: 4x4=16. This is a 16 valve engine. 16 is the number of valves in the engine.
My scarcam lobe is overheating, just read these.

Young_Warrior
LOL does it really matter? Why not ask the guys at the dealership.

For once hes right :D;) Just get down to Mitsu and ask them, maybe they will show you it too..

How can somebody so concerned with the timing belt not know what 4 valves per cylinder means?

Why don't you just buy a Corolla and live out your Initial D fantasies?

Back