2005 Nissan Nismo Skyline GT-R Z-Tune Vs. 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

• Thread starter FAOLIU05
  • 148 comments

Which Is More Superior On The Track?

• Total voters
I'm going to give the edge to the Skyline Z-Tune, as far as track performance goes. I'm thinking out of my usual train of stubborn Vette fanboyism on this one.

I think the Skyline will either be quicker, or be on par with the Z06 off the line, and I'm also going to give handling to the Skyline as well. Though the Z-Tune is pretty much a brick on wheels, it's pretty hard to dismiss it's capabilities after watching a Best MOTOring video in which it toyed with cars like the Gallardo, M5, and 997 (or I believe it was a 997). It laid low in the back, swinging with the flow until the final stretch in which it blew past everything quicker than any of us could say, "Damn Z-Tune Skyline!"

I've also seen the regular GT-R's dabble in the high 12 ET's quite consistantly too (though, this based entirely of internet videos and timeslips). Those have what? Just south of 320hp? The Skyline is already a well equiped track car, which in earlier generations (R32 and R33) have came dangerously close, or perhaps have succeeded the 8 minute barrier at Nurburgring (I can't recall the times exactly). A Z-Tune (from what I gather) is a significant extension of what the GT-R is and has accomplished, just like what the Z06 is to the Z51.

I think the Z06 will have the higher top speed. Aerodynamics would have to play some roll on the Z-Tune's less efficient exterior. Big and blocky usually means slow. MotoRex's $115,000 Blackbird GT-R has a significant 50hp advantage over the Z-Tune and still doesn't manage anything over 200mph (which IMO would legitimately define a car being faster than a Z06). Not only that, but wouldn't turbo lag and heating play a roll in how quick the Z-Tune would reach top speed? The Corvette being lighter, slighty more powerful, and what I would think as being more "aero-friendly" should be given top speed. But top speed doesn't mean anything on a circuit at this caliber of performance. It's all about the acceleration and handling.

But hey... The Z06 will always have that "Bang for the Buck!" With $20,000 (which would be about 50% of how much a Z-Tune costs) in modifications, the Z06 would completely decimate the Z-Tune. It wouldn't even be funny. I'd seriously cry in pitty for the lowly Nissan six-banger. Hey... the Vette has to have something to walk away with.

The Z06 would bend the Z-Tune over in any area of performance. The Z06 gets to 60 faster than the Z-Tune, has a higher top speed, and handles better.

For that matter, the Z-Tune would probably catch on fire and have to go to the paddock before the contest was over.

I dissagree, in terms of which car I'd prefer to own, that would be the Z06, but on a track I think it would be the other way. The Z-Tune has absolutely outsadning acceleration, better than the Z06's or at least after 60 it is, and superb cornering ability, I'd love to see your source for saying the Z06 corners better, I've not read anything that states that. Top speed may be higher in the Z06 but on most tracks that doesn't matter. Of the two, I'd prefer the Z06 to own.

I think the z-tune would win but it would be close.

I agree that the z06 tuned slightly could wallop the z-tune though.

Well first off, I wouldn't say the Z-tune played with those cars in the best motoring video. :odd:

More like, it was held off by a pack of great cars.
Furthermore, if the M5 hadn't blocked the Gallardo on the back straight (seen in the video at exactly 7 minutes and 56 seconds in), the Gallardo would have been able to hold off the Z-tune for sure.
On top of that, the Gallardo was holding the outside line through that entire turn. :eek:

To complicate this entire matter, the simple fact that "anything can happen in a race" and "the fastest car doesn't always win" apply to the Sugo Best Motoring video being used as a refference.

It should be noted that the Z-tune and the Gallardo were both approximately 3 second slower in the race than they were for the "Attack" laps posted at the end of the race.
Oddly enough, in the race, the Z-tune hit a fast lap of 1'40.371 and the Gallardo hit 1'40.951 (undoubtly because of the conditions that lead to its 3rd place finish).
However, in the Time Attack round, the Z-tune hit 1'37.554 and the Gallardo hit 1'37.537. :mischievous:

With all that in mind, look at a Gallardo .vs. Z06 comparison (since it has been done by third party individuals and is not subject to the problems commonly associated with Best Motoring/ Motor Trend/ Top Gear's nationalism & ethnocentrism).

... The Z06 is faster than the Gallardo.
Around corners it is anyone's guess since corners are up to the driver, not the car.

So, what am I getting at here?

1) Racing does not come down to the simple idea of which car is faster... Anything can and will happen in a race (2 liter v-tec battle anyone? EK9 beat Amuse S2k :confused: :lol: ).

2) The Z-tune and the Gallardo pulled nearly identical times in a Time Attack but the Z06 can clearly out speed the Gallardo. That makes it possible to say with reasonable certainty that the Z06 could be the fastest of these three.

3) Anything can happen in a race!
I keep saying that because it is the truth and probably the most important thing to consider in this discussion.

Finally I just want to mention that Tetsuya Tanaka has been recorded pushing the Z-tune R34 around the Ring in a video you can find on the net somewhere (I have it on my hard drive).

In that video the Z-tune is pushed to a lap that starts around 1 minute & 10 seconds into the video and ends around 9 minutes and 30 seconds into the video.

Is that scientific? No.
However, it does serve as a good indincator that testing/ publicity footage of the Z-tune on the Ring with a professional driver produces approximately 8 minute lap times (and that's on the REALLY generous side of estimates based on the real world video evidence).

Compare that with the rumored and reported by "AutoSport" 7'42.9 Z06 Ring time and you've got a serious case of overkill.
http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073&mID=1384471&l=d

Also, keep in mind this article scanned from a magazine in which the C6 (not the Z06 version) manages a 8'15.
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=0&tID=46738

So the bottom line for me:
The Z06 wins in a specs war.
The Z06 wins in a real world time attack.
The Z06 and the Z-tune have not directly challenged each other and because of that there is no final answer.

My bet is against the older, heavier NISMO... My money would be placed on the newer, lighter, Z06.

Very informative post Kent 👍, some stuff in there I wasn't aware of, you've got me convinced :lol:.

An additional note though, what track your competing on has a huge part to play.

Thanks L4S. :cheers:

And indeed you are very right about the track playing a part. 👍

But again, thanks. :cheers:

id love to see this played out, if only to shut up the japanese fanboys who have no respect for anything that aint JDM.

the Z06 will take on pretty much any car short of a race car (bring on the supercars yo!) and win.

im not vette fan. not a pushrods and large engines fan. not a chevy fan. i prefer BMWs M cars and lotii of various sorts.

but game recognise' game.

'

The NISMO & Skylines in general are Gofast Gosafe designs and are not necessarily maximised for raw performance.
Kent's (post5) assessment has awakened a dark suspicion that the Z06 is the type of flat-out ballbuster in terms of performance, that in the hands of a supreme driver on good day tracks would have the nose on the z-tune.

Well, I obviously would be putting money on the Z06 (check the avatar), but it would be a "close" race nontheless. The Z06's downfalls are going to be the somewhat "clunky" transmission, quirky chassis, and the RWD setup (only when compared to AWD). But, the Z06 also has a signifigant weight and power advantage, along with price ($70K USD for the Z06, nearly $150K for the Z-Tune). That said, I've seen the Best MotoRing videos, and they have increased my opinion of the GTR, so I wouldnt expect anything less than sensational from a Z-Tune version of ANY Nissan model. The addition of extra power and AWD is going to substantially aid the GTR, but the overall higher weight, larger size, and brick dimensions are going to limit it's performance on many tracks.

All in all, it would probably come down to the track, the driver, and the conditions in which the race is being held. If we were to talk about a place such as Silverstone, Fuji, etc. with long straights that would favor the Z06, the race would be tilted in Chevrolet's favor. However, at tracks like Tsukuba (sp?) or possibly Motegi would be in favor of the GTR.

Kent
Well first off, I wouldn't say the Z-tune played with those cars in the best motoring video. :odd:

IMHO The Z tune clearly held back until the last lap, up to the last lap he didn't even pass the Porsche Carrera (you can see this by how slow the driver rolled on the throttle, big difference between first lap and last), then on the last lap he had to deal with traffic, I would love to see the Z tune do a proper time attack against the Gallardo and others, I don't see that battle as a proper time attack.

I would also like to point out that in Nismo stated at the Tokyo Auto Salon that while in development the Z tune did a 10.06 down the 0-400m, I don't know which tune that was, it may have been the 620hp unrestricted tune unlike the production versions which were restricted to 500hp.

I'll go with the Z06 for this one. That car is mightily fast even with all the conspiracy theories.

Germany needs to fix up and retake all top honours on every car over £20 grand though. I'll put money on audi doing that. (would it be anyone else?):sly:

I would say the only thing Audi has any chance of topping the Vette with is indeed the new R8. But, weight and price are going to be limiting factors when competing with the Corvette. Although prices have yet to be set, I would expect the "base" 4.2L V8 version of the R8 to go for well over $60K, about the same price at which the Z06 sits comfortably.

I could see the Z8 successor being somewhat compeditive witht he Z06 if BMW uses the 500HP V10 and keeps the weight down. But of course, they would suck all the fun out with the nannies and other gizmos...

If TVR came to the US however, they may be the first cars to challenge the Corvette's performance per dollar ratio for the first time since the origional Shelby GT500 Mustang (which is on the way as well).

Ghost C
The Z06 would bend the Z-Tune over in any area of performance. The Z06 gets to 60 faster than the Z-Tune, has a higher top speed, and handles better.

For that matter, the Z-Tune would probably catch on fire and have to go to the paddock before the contest was over.

Im not sure if the Z06 would will win in a straight line, considering the Z-Tune pulls off low 10's on the 1/4 mile. It was almost 10 flat.

If we want to compare price to price, how about the Corvette-sourced Mosler MT900S? Or how about the Ford fanboy favorite, the Saleen S7?

It'd be close but I say the driver would have an easier time with the Z-Tune (and possibly setting faster times given same driver for both cars). The reviews on the Z06 (Vs. Viper Coupe) have reported countless times the Z06 is faster, but not as forgiving and not as responsive as the Viper. It's not driver friendly and discovers bumps in the roads.

I would say, "Why not compare the Viper? Almost equal to the Z06 and just as fast," but then everyone would complain Vipers suck in handling (which isn't true for the Coupe).

YSSMAN
If we want to compare price to price, how about the Corvette-sourced Mosler MT900S? Or how about the Ford fanboy favorite, the Saleen S7?

If you can obviously buy a Z06, you wont have a problem buying a Z TUNE skyline.

The GTR Z tune was made in very small numbers for the anniversary of Nissan Motorsport, not to compete in a market place with Z06's, Moslers etc.

McLaren basically took the words out of my mouth. i don't doubt the Z06 could run a better time at certain tracks, but i doubt it would be as forgiving to drive as the Z-tune <8- )
either way, i would gladly take a Z-tune R34 over a Z06 simply because of the small amount that were even made and the amount of detail that goes into everything (not saying the Z06 is regular either).

RobcioPL
If you can obviously buy a Z06, you wont have a problem buying a Z TUNE skyline.

Corvette Z06: Around $70,000 USD

Nissan NISMO R34 GTR Z-Tune: In the neighborhood of $145,000 USD. Plus, you have to get it here, and now that they are illegal in the US for import, good luck.

So for $145,000 there are quite a few good cars I could get (the Mosler and S7 are just a bit more expensive), but for that much I could buy myself a 2006 Z06, a 2004 Passat W8 (its old, and probably used, but still one of the best sedans ever built IMO), and still have enough room for a 2007 Tahoe LTZ for the winter. I'd call the Corvette and crew the better deal over ONE Nissan. But, to some people, having a GTR is what its all about.

blargonator
McLaren basically took the words out of my mouth. i don't doubt the Z06 could run a better time at certain tracks, but i doubt it would be as forgiving to drive as the Z-tune <8- )
either way, i would gladly take a Z-tune R34 over a Z06 simply because of the small amount that were even made and the amount of detail that goes into everything (not saying the Z06 is regular either).
I agree. If I'm going to have a Skyline in the states, might as well have the baddest one of them all.

Those Corvette boys won't have a clue what you're driving at the meets either when you smoke their Vette-runin' butts.

The stated MSRP for both models is $65,000 (Z06) and $160,000 (Z-Tune). Though I brough it up (for nothing more than to give the Vette something), price isn't an issue here. So don't make it one. This is all about the track performance... which, IMO, the Z-Tune just might have more of.

YSSMAN
Corvette Z06: Around $70,000 USD

Nissan NISMO R34 GTR Z-Tune: In the neighborhood of $145,000 USD. Plus, you have to get it here, and now that they are illegal in the US for import, good luck.

So for $145,000 there are quite a few good cars I could get (the Mosler and S7 are just a bit more expensive), but for that much I could buy myself a 2006 Z06, a 2004 Passat W8 (its old, and probably used, but still one of the best sedans ever built IMO), and still have enough room for a 2007 Tahoe LTZ for the winter. I'd call the Corvette and crew the better deal over ONE Nissan. But, to some people, having a GTR is what its all about.

Actaually, i believe i read somewhere that the Z-Tune was legal in all nations. When you are a millionare, 70,000 wont make a difference for you. The great thing about the Z-Tune, is its limited production, common, being 1 of 20 is pretty nice :)

BTW, the Z06 is a better bang for the buck, but when you have this kind of money, might as well get both :)

the Z06 might be faster in a striaght line, bue the Z-tune handles better and in my view looks better. Plus, they had to limit the amount of power they could get out of the angine so they to stick with 500bhp, and the car can easily produce 800bhp so i would have the z-tune!!!

Where can you prove otherwise? Until someone conducts a conclusive test you can only speculate and speculating either way isn't going leave you far off imo. I know the Z-Tune is supposed to handle superbly, however I can't find anything conclusive to compare it with the Z06, I have figures that say the Z-Tune accelerates faster. All in all I think it would be closer than a lot of people think, they both have 500bhp, the Z-Tune has faster acceleration, the Z06 may corner slightly better. It's a close call imo, but purely speculation at this point.

With features like this:

Z-tune-specific Sachs coil-overs are three-way adjustable to handle any number of track and street setups. The 782 lb/in. springs, however, are an indicator that supercar handling comes with a supercar ride.

Working jointly with engineers from Brembo, NISMO created a brake package for the Z-tune with the goal of producing 1.6g of decelerative force on R-compound tires. The front mono-block calipers house six pistons and squeeze two-piece, 14.3-inch rotors. The rear four-piston calipers clamp one-piece 13.9-inch rotors developed with KIRYU. The ABS computer was reprogrammed to take advantage of the greater available braking force.

Rather than taking the easy way out and installing a cage, NISMO spot welded portions of the chassis, mostly around the door frames, in addition to adding structural load-bearing dry carbon-fiber panels to the upper front strut towers, hood reinforcement area and transmission tunnel. The strut tower brace is, of course, titanium.

Forged LM GT4s by Rays are painted black to emulate the wheels used on the GT500 Skyline, and feature a Z-tune-specific +5mm offset to fit the large 265/35-18 Bridgestones. Two tire compounds are available: sticky RE55Ss for the track and RE01Rs for street use

I think they intended the car to handle well.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_02_z.jpg

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_16_z.jpg

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_05_z.jpg

Back