2006: Audi R10

• Thread starter shaunsund
  • 35 comments
Looks like Audi are going to make a comeback to Le Mans in 2006.

I found this quote today: "The countdown has ended, today Audi unveiled the eagerly awaited successor of the ultra-successful Audi R8 in Paris. The new R10 is one of the most ambitious projects which Audi Sport has ever undertaken.

I can't find any pics yet, but the website said that the R10 will most likely be powered by a V10 or V12 diesel engine.

Some more details on the engine specs:

- 5.5 L, dual overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder
- common rail diesel
- fitted with particulate filters on the exhaust
- all-aluminum crankcase (amazing in a diesel)
- peak power between 3000 and 5000 RPM (if I understand the site correctly)
- longer and heavier than the old 3.6 L V8
- electric power steering (R8 had hydraulic)

EDIT: didn't see PR had posted an English site. Makes this post look kind of stupid, :lol: :dunce:

That's awesome, very smart, especially for endurance races where lower fuel consumption is quite an advantage. I wonder how does the thing sounds though...

Edit: to give us an idea:
The usable power band lies between 3000 and 5000 revs per minute.
:crazy:

I bet that this will be a trend starter in motorsports if it's successful.

Aaaaand here's the R10 as it blasts down the Mulsanne Straight!
"BrumBrumBrumBrumBrumBrumBrum"

The reason is fueleconomy! A diesel powered car was entered ´04 in LeMans, but it broke down I belive, so this is going to be very interesting. I also think Peugeot is building a diesel LeMansracer. Could be a new trend?

UCP Source
AUDI TO COMPETE WITH DIESEL SPORTSCAR AT LE MANS

V12 TDI engine produces over 650 hp - world’s most powerful racing diesel engine

Audi will become the world’s first car manufacturer to fight for overall victory with a diesel-engined sportscar in the famous Le Mans 24 Hours. The Audi R10 was unveiled in Paris today (13 December) with the German prestige car maker aiming for its new "open-top" sportscar to continue in the wheeltracks of its ultra-successful predecessor.

The all-new Audi R10 is powered by a totally new 5.5-litre, 12-cylinder twin-turbo TDI engine, which is extremely quiet and economical. Scheduled to make its race début in the Sebring 12 Hours (USA) next March before contesting the gruelling twice-around-the-clock Le Mans race in France (17-18 June), the Audi R10 produces over 650 hp and a colossal 1,100 Newton metres of torque.

Audi first raced at Le Mans in 1999 and has won the annual sportscar "classic" five times in the last six years with its Audi R8 sportscar which has scored 61 wins from 77 races around the world. But Audi ventures into previously unexplored diesel-engine terrain with the V12 power plant manufactured completely from aluminium.

As with the TFSI (turbo petrol direct injection) technology, which triumphed initially at Le Mans before being adopted for mass-production, Audi customers should benefit once again from the lessons learnt in motorsport.

"With the A8 4.2 TDI quattro, Audi already builds one of the most powerful diesel cars in the world," explained Prof Dr Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, at the R10 presentation in Paris.

"The Le Mans project will help our technicians to extract even more from TDI technology. Nowadays, every second Audi is delivered with a TDI engine. We expect that the percentage of diesel engines will be even larger in the future."

The R10 prototype’s V12 power unit, which is equipped with two diesel particle filters, is hardly recognisable as a diesel thanks to the engine’s smooth running. The TDI engine’s specialities presented the Audi Sport engineers with many new challenges.

The injection pressure easily exceeds the 1,600 bar achieved in production cars. The usable power band lies between 3,000 and 5,000 revs per minute - an unusually low rev range for a racing engine. The driver can change gear in the R10 far less often than in the R8 because of the TDI engine’s favourable torque curve.

Radical changes to the chassis were also necessary. The Audi R10 has a significantly longer wheel base than the R8. The overly wide front tyres are, up until now, unique for a Le Mans Prototype. New technologies were also implemented during the development of the carbon-fibre monocoque. Chassis, engine and gearbox form an extremely rigid, fully stressed unit.

"The R10 project is the biggest challenge ever to have been handed to Audi Sport," said Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "TDI technology has not been pushed to its limits in motorsport yet. We are the first to confront the challenge. The demands of such a project are accordingly high. Long-term technology partners such as Bosch, Michelin and Shell support us in our quest. Together we have the chance to write new chapters in the history books of motorsport and diesel technology."

The new Audi R10 successfully completed its first test at the end of November while an extensive test programme is scheduled prior to the car’s race début at Sebring. The development team from Audi Sport is supported by Reinhold Joest’s squad which also performed this task during the R8 project.

Some info.

Well, first of all they may do diesel just for the publicity. I mean they've won Le Mans so many times it's not like they really need to win it any more to prove a point. Audi can now advertise with this car and say "Look, we built a diesel to win Le Mans, the first ever, and you can bet our production diesels are good too." Not to mention the fuel economy and the GT40 tactic: loads of torque so the engine doesn't need to rev high, saving the engine, transmission, etc...

Plus, of course the fuel economy. Excellent move by Audi for this one! I think it could only be Audi to do something like this though because they're the only ones who can afford the risk. Everyone else hasn't even caught up to the R8.

It'll be even more interesting to see if a privateer R8 enters Le Mans and goes against the R10!

Sjenk
Am I blind or isn't there a video with the R10 sound in it? I see the Premierevideo of it, but there isn't any engine sound in it.

I'm probably blind, but who knows ;)

They changed the video. Sorta good, 'cause the old one was an hour-long behemoth with lots of talking and ogling the car, and also bad, 'cause they cut out the engine sound and replaced it with music... :grumpy:

GTRacer4
LMP's aren't racing for beauty contests you know.
Yeah. I know. But the Pescarolos, Audi R8 and Bentley Speed 8 were very good looking cars. I really don't like the front end on that R10.

Damn, missed the video with sound.
As a fan of wierd stuff, I think this is really great. Hope it does well, and doesn't get regulated out the next season like so many other innovations.

There may be a better thread to ask this, but why is it almost set up like a two seater? Its like there was two seats, but they sealed over the second one.

I don't know why people associate modern diesels with tracktor noises, they've come a long way in the last 5-6 years, my mums Clio doesn't actually sound much like you'd expect a diesel to sound like.

Emohawk
Damn, missed the video with sound.
As a fan of wierd stuff, I think this is really great. Hope it does well, and doesn't get regulated out the next season like so many other innovations.

There may be a better thread to ask this, but why is it almost set up like a two seater? Its like there was two seats, but they sealed over the second one.
All LMP cars are lbuilt to carry 2 people, to enter LeMans you car has to be based on a road car, or to have certain common ties to road cars, one of these ties is the ability to transport 2 or more people, single seaters cannot enter LeMans so they simply design the car so the passenger seat can be clipped out and the passengers space covered over to help with aerodynamics.

iceburns288
Not to mention the fuel economy and the GT40 tactic: loads of torque so the engine doesn't need to rev high, saving the engine, transmission, etc...

I actually remember a show on the history channel about german cars that talked about an auto union racer from the 30's. The mentioned that it had an engine designed to produce power at low revs for the same reason. Though, the gt40 is a more famous/successful example.

The r10 looks amazing in my opinion.

Don't forget that the ACO has written the rules to favor the diesel engines. IIRC, they will have a slightly larger air restrictor (more power) and will get better fuel economy. That's why Audi and Peugeot have decided to use the diesels.

About the "passenger" space and the single/double rollbar debate: (rhetorical question coming) Why does the ACO mandate an area and a separate rollbar for a passenger space only a child could squeeze into?

The ACO should do the smart and easy thing (not something they do often) and simply mandate that all prototypes - or at least the LMP1 cars - be closed-top. They are certainly more aesthetically pleasing (Bentley, anyone?) and would close the gap in the layman's perception of a connection between a manufacturer's prototype race car and their road cars.

Back