• 154 comments

a6m5

#ChopOn
Premium
United States
OREGON
a6m5zero
It's bit early, but where else can you talk about the preseason? :sly:

Free agency started on the July 1st, and already, one player has jumped ship.
ESPN
Free agent sharpshooter Jason Kapono has quickly reached an agreement Sunday to leave the Miami Heat and sign a four-year deal believed to be worth $24 million with the Toronto Raptors.
Don't know much about him, expect he is one of the elite shooters in the NBA. If I could have any player from the Miami Heat, Kapono definitely would've been one of them, so I doubt Giancarlo would be too happy about this(Saleen Man, probably).

Luke Walton agrees to resign with the Lakers.
ESPN
Luke Walton reached agreement Sunday with the Los Angeles Lakers on a six-year, $30 million contract after general manager Mitch Kupchak placed a call one minute after midnight to express the team's interest in retaining its best unrestricted free agent.

"They called at the earliest possible moment, and we worked on it all day," agent Lon Babby said. "They wanted him back, and Luke wanted to be there. We wanted to make every effort to get an agreement before we went out and looked at any other teams."
Nice of Walton to think team first, settling for a reasonable contract. But how does the last part of the quote make any sense?

Vince Carter is also staying put.
ESPN
TRENTON, N.J. -- Vince Carter and the New Jersey Nets have the framework in place for a four-year contract that guarantees the All-Star more than $60 million, sources told The Associated Press and The (Newark) Star-Ledger.
I didn't know VC had 4 more years left in him. Congratulations!

I'm glad Kapono is gone if he's asking for that price. $6 mil is way too pricey for just a 3-point shooter. We got Daquean Cook in the draft anyway, he's also a shooter except with a much better build.

I see Rashard Lewis signed with the Magic I'm sure what the terms I just glanced on ESPNEWS before I left for work.

Lewis signed for 5 years/$75 million. Hahaha, no thanks from the Heat. That's superstar money, and he's a nice scorer and all, but no superstar.

I agree with you. The Magic probably overpaid for him. I think he'll do okay though. He may help them win a game next year in the playoffs.

I third that. I didn't think he was worth the contract he opted-out of. I guess he is (really)arguably the best free agent out there. Orlando's ready to win now, they have no lottery picks or pieces to trade, so they didn't want to take any chances.....

So what's going on guys? All asleep? :)

Steve Blake signed with the Blazers, Chucky Atkins signed with the Nuggets, Grant Hill signed with the Suns, Desmond is making another run with the Bucks, Jamaal Magloire signed with the Nets, Darko Milicic signed with the Grizzlies, Mikki Moore signed with the Kings, Derek Fisher is making another run with the Lakers, Steve Francis signed with the Rockets, Smush Parker signed with the Heat, Mo Peterson signed with the Hornets, and Mo Williams re-signed with the Bucks!

Get out! Parker left the Lakers!? I guess I've been asleep.......

Yeah, and apparently they all hated him. On the Heat RealGM boards they kept coming in just to troll. "ZOMG finally he left Parker suckzzz!!1" :dunce:

Yeah, and apparently they all hated him. On the Heat RealGM boards they kept coming in just to troll. "ZOMG finally he left Parker suckzzz!!1" :dunce:
Some of the dumbest people on earth are basketball fans. Some of the worst trolls I've seen are on the Blazers site. :crazy:

I always thought Parker was pretty good. Little green, but he probably just got out of the rookie contract, so he's just becoming a veteran now. Great pick up for the Heat. Hopefully, they didn't overpay.

I always thought Parker was pretty good. Little green, but he probably just got out of the rookie contract, so he's just becoming a veteran now. Great pick up for the Heat. Hopefully, they didn't overpay.

Well he went undrafted, so technically he didn't have a guaranteed contract. Unless you just mean the contract from when he first signed, in that case i don't think so because he's already been on 7 teams since 2002 if i'm not mistaken.

The details haven't been given out yet, but supposedly he got part of the Heat's MLE - probably around 2 to 2.5 million. Not bad at all i think. Plus J-Will says he's healthy, and i still think he's a really good PG. :)

BTW, are you excited to see Fernandez and Koponen once they get out of Europe and join the Blazers? They are touted as two very exciting guards, and from what i've seen on YouTube, they look amazing so far.

Well he went undrafted, so technically he didn't have a guaranteed contract. Unless you just mean the contract from when he first signed, in that case i don't think so because he's already been on 7 teams since 2002 if i'm not mistaken.

The details haven't been given out yet, but supposedly he got part of the Heat's MLE - probably around 2 to 2.5 million. Not bad at all i think. Plus J-Will says he's healthy, and i still think he's a really good PG. :)
Sounds good. I just read up on Smush on NBA.com, and looks like he just completed his fourth season, and the Heat should be his fifth NBA team.

BTW, are you excited to see Fernandez and Koponen once they get out of Europe and join the Blazers? They are touted as two very exciting guards, and from what i've seen on YouTube, they look amazing so far.
Fernandez reminds me so much of Ginobili, who is one of my favorite players, if not the favorite, so I'm excited about the Blazers getting him for almost nothing. I was also really excited about "Pete" Koponen, but he was criticized a lot in the summer league, and I'm not really sure if he'll be a Blazer anytime soon. I'm hoping, but I'm starting to think it might be a long shot. We have four point guards right now, with three of them competing for the starting spot!

Whoa, Garnett finally went to Boston! In exchange for Tony Battie, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, and Al Jefferson along with a couple picks and cash. All of those players are expiring contracts too. O_o

Boston also agreed to sign Garnett for a 3-year deal.

I'm dissapointed![/WillFerrell]

I think McHale still works for the Celtics, and T-Wolves fans should fire McHale and whoever the owner is.

I understand that Minnesota is thinking the "future" with this move, but bottom line, what they get in return does not add up to one of the best players in the league. Instead, they get bunch of mediocre talent in return, and Jefferson isn't that special in the West. Who knows, he might leave as soon as his contract expires, in what, two years?

From the Celtics standpoint, they had to take it. You are unloading a good chunk of your future prospects, but Minnesota, who earlier wouldn't trade Garnett for the Celtics fifth pick and Jefferson, now would for Jefferson plus few pieces(including non-lottery 1st round picks). :ouch: :banghead:

After the Celtics tanked bunch of games and still missed out on the Oden/Durant sweepstakes, this move really was no-brainer for Ainge. Fans were devastated, low moral, and this trade erases all that. Now Pierce has another shooter, plus, one of the best inside guys to play the game in Garnet, to take the pressure off of him. Same goes to Ray Allen and Garnett, also. They are SO used to being the focal point of the opponent's defense.

McHale sux again. He does it without so much effort, he's a natural. 👎

Well i don't think Minnesota sucks for the trade, i think they suck for the 12 years that Garnett spent with them only to take 1 trip to the Conference Finals. And i disagree with you about Al Jefferson. I think he was a big steal in this trade - i mean the guy put up 16 and 12 and he's only 22 years old. Ryan Gomes has progressed really well so far too.

Add to that, the fact that every single player Minnesota got is on the last year of his contract. So, either two things happen - a) they play their hearts out to get a good payday once the offseason rolls around again, or b) Minnesota dumps all of them and has a good $20 mil to spend on the amazing 2008 free agency crop.

Well i don't think Minnesota sucks for the trade, i think they suck for the 12 years that Garnett spent with them only to take 1 trip to the Conference Finals. And i disagree with you about Al Jefferson. I think he was a big steal in this trade - i mean the guy put up 16 and 12 and he's only 22 years old. Ryan Gomes has progressed really well so far too.

Add to that, the fact that every single player Minnesota got is on the last year of his contract. So, either two things happen - a) they play their hearts out to get a good payday once the offseason rolls around again, or b) Minnesota dumps all of them and has a good $20 mil to spend on the amazing 2008 free agency crop.
I don't doubt that Jefferson is a good young talent. It's just that now, he'll be playing in the conference even Zach Randolph couldn't make the All Star team. I also don't doubt that rest of the package Minnestota received from Boston is not too shabby. The problem way I see it, Jefferson and this nice little package(OK, not really little) does not equal to Kevin Garnett. Bottom line, McHale sucked at his job again, unless he's still playing for the Celtic. That's my take on it. :D

Boston signed Eddie House today too, but i really think they should have gone after a PG.

Boston signed Eddie House today too, but i really think they should have gone after a PG.
The big rumor right now is Troy Hudson. Minnesota must've finally bought his contract out. I didn't know this, but Hudson and Garnett I guess are really good friends, so some people speculate Hudson to end up in Boston.

I didn't know he still played in the NBA, but House probably was a nice pick up for Boston. :D

Hahaha, the Heat signed Penny Hardaway. Damn, and just as i was making fun of Boston for wanting Reggie Miller. :lol:

Hahaha, the Heat signed Penny Hardaway. Damn, and just as i was making fun of Boston for wanting Reggie Miller. :lol:
But the Celtics got Scot Pollard, so they are almost even. :sly: Ainge is probably trying to rig up a trade for Mutombo now. :lol:

well apparently boston wants to sign reggie miller. Im not sure hes going come out of retirement. There desperate for some talent IMO.

I think they're more desperate for cheap talent, than anything else. Miller would certainly only get the veteran minimum.

I haven't been following much the player transactions...however I AM aware of the KG to Celtics for some "stuff".

I'm STOKED and can't wait for this season. I could give a flying **** about the NFL--give me the NBA. I'd rather watch the two worst teams in the NBA than watch the Superbowl.

I think they're more desperate for cheap talent, than anything else. Miller would certainly only get the veteran minimum.
Good point, though I'd expect Reggie Miller's minimum to be pretty hefty.
I'd rather watch the two worst teams in the NBA than watch the Superbowl.
Same here. :lol: I could swear Super Bowl parties shorten my life span!

alot of stuff has happened in the nba so i'll post some of the transactions.

Washington re-signs Andray Blatche.

Detroit signs Jarvis Hayes.

L.A. Clippers sign 2006 second-round pick Guillermo Diaz.

Memphis acquires rights to Juan Carlos Navarro from Washington in exchange for a future first-round draft choice.

New Jersey signs Robert Hite.

San Antonio signs Ime Udoka.

L.A. Clippers sign Josh Powell.

L.A. Clippers sign Brevin Knight.

Washington signs Dominic McGuire.

Boston signs Eddie House and Scot Pollard.

Miami signs Anfernee Hardaway.

San Antonio's acquiring Ime Udoka is going to improve their already crazy good defense. IMO

Also, Orlando just agreed to terms with Adonal Foyle, after the Warriors bought him out a couple days ago.

I knew that Warriors bought his contract out, but I just read about his new contract. I guess the Magic is pretty solid at 5. :lol:

I also just read about this:
CBSSports.com wire reports
BOSTON -- Reggie Miller is staying retired, passing on a chance to turn the Big Three of the Boston Celtics into the Fabulous Four.

Miller told the Celtics his decision after having several conversations with Danny Ainge, Boston's executive director of basketball operations, during the past two weeks, team spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

The NBA's career leader in 3-pointers turned 42 on Friday and has spent the last two seasons out of the NBA after retiring from an 18-year pro career, entirely with the Indiana Pacers. He never won an NBA championship, and the overhauled Celtics are considered contenders.
I am glad. In the article, he claims that he could've done it, physically. I doubt that little bit(just little bit, it's Reggie!), but like he also said in the article, it would've been a huge issue mentally also.

Reggie to me is "Mr. Pacer". It annoys me to see guys like Malone, Payton, even our very own, Clyde Drexler, go to another team right before the end of their career to win the Championship. I can cut Drexler a little slack, since the team he went to was his hometown team, but how about Malone with the Lakers? "The" Jazz to the Lakers? So sad.....

Updates....

The Boston Celtics signed free agent James Posey to a multi-year contract. (:()

The Los Angeles Clippers signed free agent Ruben Patterson to a contract.

The Sacramento Kings signed Kevin Martin to a multi-year contract extension which will begin in the 2008-2009 season.

The Milwaukee Bucks signed the #6 overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft, Yi Jianlian, to a four year contract with the third and fourth season at the team's option.

The Denver Nuggets signed free agent Anthony Carter to a contract.

Also, Gary Payton is considering signing with his hometown team the Warriors, or his first team the Sonics. Kevin Durant is possibly going to start at SG, with Jeff Green at SF. Allan Houston has stated he wants to make a comeback; reportedly the Heat are interested in him (YEAH RIGHT).

Cool, the Heat have signed Charlie Bell to an offer sheet of reportedly 5 years/$18.5 mil. He's already said he doesn't want to return to the Bucks, so it looks like we got him.

I like the signing; he's a dependable defender (hehe) and a pretty good 3-point shooter. Losing Kapono and Posey, he really helps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3024641

Latest Posts

Back