2008 European Championships (England not included)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 253 comments
Spain played just how I play in PES. They had crazy counterattack.

Germany could've probably won if they had at least some kind of counterattack.

Wow I come out of the woods where the people have no idea what in the world football is to find out Germany lost. That was a huge shock to me, I thought for sure Germany would win fairly easily. I wish I could have seen the game.

I thought for sure Germany would win fairly easily.
So..I guess you were totally oblivious to the rest of the tournament. Spain was the only team to reach the final with a perfect streak. I don't know how anyone would have guessed that Germany was going to easily win it.

BTW it was a great match, I can't say I saw a lot from Casillas, but that's not his fault. Spain's defense owned the Germans...specially Sergio Ramos. Casillas did look confident in every ball he got though. And Lehman, is not far behind either, besides the goal, he made some great saves.

And Torres...he should try out for the Olympic Spain Track Team...

So..I guess you were totally oblivious to the rest of the tournament. Spain was the only team to reach the final with a perfect streak. I don't know how anyone would have guessed that Germany was going to easily win it.

I was only able to watch a few games, most people work during the time they were played. Every game I saw Germany play they seemed to do very well, aside from the one against the Turks. I honestly thought they would win fairly easily.

Woohoo!!!!! Yeah!!!!! Mother 🤬!!!!!

That one really one of the best EURO finals since I could remember!!!!! :dopey: Terrific play by Spain, having the best squad in the field and with so many young talents, they did clearly show their passion in the pitch. 🤬 you Germans, you can't even play half as good as you were in EURO 1996!!!! You know that their mentality will never win them any trophy if they keep playing by tactics.... Just let the players loose and have some creativity please, sheesh! :rolleyes:

Good play by Torres, as he clearly should been man of the match no doubt. Haven't skipped a beat from the get go, and had played fantastic football like he did in the EPL. He would try to challenge any ball and try take his chances on goal. Shame about getting subbed near the end as he clearly feels he should be playing the whole match. 👍 As for defending, they did an excellent job keeping the German attacks at bay and when they do have their chances, the defender clears the ball away. Iker Casillas didn't get to do much as Lehmann did in the match, but when the trouble arises, he just did enough to clear the danger. Probably one of the best goalkeeper in the world today......

BTW it was a great match, I can't say I saw a lot from Casillas, but that's not his fault. Spain's defense owned the Germans...specially Sergio Ramos. Casillas did look confident in every ball he got though. And Lehman, is not far behind either, besides the goal, he made some great saves.

And Torres...he should try out for the Olympic Spain Track Team...
+1

Spain now have gone 44 games undefeated since November 2006 :eek: (not sure if its accurate) and its a great surprise to see them still moving on and keep getting better.

@ Torres :lol:👍

Germany were never going to get an easy ride BUT...Spain do have a tendency to self-destruct in these situations and whilst had a perfect streak weren't overly impressive against Sweden or Greece. Glad they won...it get's me cash and they deserved it, best team in the tournament overall and it's a victory for football as well as Spain. Other teams should take note on how the beautiful game is played.

Germany were never going to get an easy ride BUT...Spain do have a tendency to self-destruct in these situations and whilst had a perfect streak weren't overly impressive against Sweden or Greece. Glad they won...it get's me cash and they deserved it, best team in the tournament overall and it's a victory for football as well as Spain. Other teams should take note on how the beautiful game is played.

They were certainly the best team in the last 4 - and played the whole tournament without dropping a single game. Had Holland turned up against Russia, the Holland-Spain semi-final had all the potential to be the finest game of European Championship Finals football ever.

But the Dutch did their usual trick of falling asleep for a game and getting tonked by a team they should beat. Spain didn't do their usual trick of falling over in the quarters and getting dumpedout on penalties. Well-deserved win for the Spaniards.

Xavi has been named Player of Euro 2008. The Squad of Euro 2008 has also been published.

GK
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
Iker Casillas (Spain)
Edwin van der Sar (Holland)

DF
Jose Bosingwa (Portugal)
Philipp Lahm (Germany)
Carlos Marchena (Spain)
Pepe (Portugal)
Carles Puyol (Spain)
Yuri Zhirkov (Russia)

MF
Hamit Altintop (Turkey)
Luka Modric (Croatia)
Marcos Senna (Spain)
Xavi (Spain)
Konstantin Zyryanov (Russia)
Michael Ballack (Germany)
Cesc Fabregas (Spain)
Andres Iniesta (Spain)
Lukas Podolski (Germany)
Wesley Sneijder (Holland)

ST
Andrei Arshavin (Russia)
Roman Pavlyuchenko (Russia)
Fernando Torres (Spain)
David Villa (Spain)

No surprised to see half of Spain's team in there...and no major surprise there's no German defenders either lol (edit - except Lahm)

I think Casillas wins the "standing there, doing nothing" category. He didn't have to do anything. Did he even need to make 1 save?

Ehem...did you see the Penalty Shootout between Italy and Spain at the 1/4 Finals?

Glad to see Buffon in there - he was the best player of the tournament for me, even though I despise Italy's style of play these days...

Delighted that the better team won last night, and did so in style. Now what's the betting that Torres stays at Liverpool now??

Latest Posts

Back