2013 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

If the FIA so desired, there is another track just outside of Dubai they could hold a race at...

Tough ride to Hamilton...though I guess Rosburg was the better driver today anyways.

Hope Alonso doesn't get any penalties for his incident. He didn't have much of anywhere else to go in my opinion.
Probably right about Rosberg driving better today, Hamilton's softs where a lap older and the Saubers ruined his race again, I wanna see him run a longer 7th next time because I'm getting sick of those Saubers. Alonso deserved a penalty for that move, it's the sort of move I'd pull on GT5 when things aren't going my way.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/11/15213.html

"Car #18 was at the end of his stint with worn tyres and was fully committed to the turn as car #3 exited the pits. Telemetry confirms that car #3 was significantly faster, on option tyres, and had the advantage throughout the sequence.

"The drivers' explanations were completely clear. Therefore the stewards determine that neither car could avoid the incident, and no advantage was gained as a result of the incident."

Is it just me or does that sound like the stewards are basically saying "He'd have got past him anyway so it didn't really matter"?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/11/15213.html

Is it just me or does that sound like the stewards are basically saying "He'd have got past him anyway so it didn't really matter"?
It does read that way. "It doesn't matter that he overtook off track, he has the faster car and needed to get past without hindrance". Well I'd say the Merc is faster than the sauber, why couldn't Hammy cut the corner and go past too.

It does read that way. "It doesn't matter that he overtook off track, he has the faster car and needed to get past without hindrance". Well I'd say the Merc is faster than the sauber, why couldn't Hammy cut the corner and go past too.

Exactly my question as well.

Where would he have gone if there was a barrier there? Crash into it? No, one of them would have had to yeild.

If if if.... If my aunt had balls she would be .... !!

There is no barrier ,so you dont go into a situation like that knowing it could be your last...

Great driving from Alonso,as always,on and not over the limit!!

Spy.

A couple of questions for you armchair stewards. Who had the racing line, who had the position and as soon as it's found out who had the position, did he have it so securely that the other one would have had to yield? Unbiased answers, please.

A couple of questions for you armchair stewards. Who had the racing line, who had the position and as soon as it's found out who had the position, did he have it so securely that the other one would have had to yield? Unbiased answers, please.

I would say Vergne had the line and the position, all Alonso had was the speed which he used to put himself into a gap that was always going to close, when instead he could have yielded.

Why? Because he never made the attempt as far as I'm aware of. Maybe he should have given it a shot though :lol: (btw I'm just being a smart ass here lol)

I would say Vergne had the line and the position, all Alonso had was the speed which he used to put himself into a gap that was always going to close, when instead he could have yielded.

It's always a tough call on these types of incidents. IMO just because Vergne had "the line and the position" doesn't mean he should then be allowed to legally or blatantly run a car off the road to maintain position, especially when the other driver is on the outside (a divebomb up the inside is a different story). Of course such a gap is always going to dissapear (and you can say that for almost any overtaking situation), particularly when the driver (Vergne) can quite easily slam the door to erase the gap. And IMO, giving any type of support to that type of racing is a bad idea.

Regardless, I think the rulebook should make it clear that the car coming out of the pit lane must yield in such a case...but of course there are no rules atm to prevent such (typical FIA). Some of the ridiculous pit lane exits also lead to these types of incidents as well - Why one decides to interject cars coming out of the pits onto the racing line (around a curve especially) is a bit beyond me :rolleyes:

It's always a tough call on these types of incidents. IMO just because Vergne had "the line and the position" doesn't mean he should then be allowed to legally or blatantly run a car off the road to maintain position, especially when the other driver is on the outside (a divebomb up the inside is a different story). Of course such a gap is always going to dissapear (and you can say that for almost any overtaking situation), particularly when the driver (Vergne) can quite easily slam the door to erase the gap. And IMO, giving any type of support to that type of racing is a bad idea.

Bare in mind, the reason I said the gap was always going to close, is because Vergne probably didn't stand any chance of seeing Alonso coming, and even if he did, he can't just lift off to give room in the middle/exit of a 150mph corner, he has to carry on. I'm not trying to say that if a driver has the line and position they can shove people off left, right and centre, it's just under these circumstances, there was nothing Vergne could do and Alonso IMO should have known that.

Bare in mind, the reason I said the gap was always going to close, is because Vergne probably didn't stand any chance of seeing Alonso coming, and even if he did, he can't just lift off to give room in the middle/exit of a 150mph corner, he has to carry on. I'm not trying to say that if a driver has the line and position they can shove people off left, right and centre, it's just under these circumstances, there was nothing Vergne could do and Alonso IMO should have known that.

Yea that's very much true (or the possibility rather). I was hoping to find a good clip of the incident on YT (to analyze further) before I posted my response, but I didn't have any luck finding such. So with that said, without knowing a lot of the specifics (Alonso's/Vergne's closing rates, if Vergne was even aware of Alonso, if it was even neccesary for Vergne to drive that wide, etc.) it's bit hard to comment any further.

Last edited:
That's directed at me?
Not at all bro, just shocked about Kimi's DQ :eek:

To make things worse, he even abandoned the race... :ill:

I hope he can win any of the remaining races... but it seems unlikely... Right Now Seb has one of these:

Plug-F_Mammoth.jpg

And everyone else:

148931_L.jpg

👎

no way, he has Anakin's podracer it was far more nimble and faster than Sebulba. We all know Alonso is Sebulba :sly:

edit: for stupid misspell.

Last edited:
I will start and say this is probably the first race I have ever watched from flag to flag so bare with me.

It was a fairly good race with some battles that surprised me some based on what little I know.

The deal with coming out of the pits vs race line is that it blends right where there is a blind spot with no way to really give room if you are fully committed. I think Alonso figured he would beat him to that spot til it was too late too.

One of my favorite parts was after the race when they showed the replay of Vettel's doughnuts with the radio clip of his engineer telling him to come back to the pits and Vettel tried to imitate Kimi's "shut up, I know what I'm doing":lol:

The most exciting part of the race were Hamilton's and Alonso's curb-hopping. The rest was pretty flat...much like the race track.

Leaving Grosjean as Gasgano, Massa as Neeva Kee and Webber as that guy with 4 engines who blows up at the start :lol:

That just leaves Lewis...anyways this is the funniest F1 Star Wars related post ever.:lol:

Also Vergne is basically thanking Alonso for his actions on the move he pulled and claims that due to the pit exit he never knew Alonso was there.

Last edited:
One of my favorite parts was after the race when they showed the replay of Vettel's doughnuts with the radio clip of his engineer telling him to come back to the pits and Vettel tried to imitate Kimi's "shut up, I know what I'm doing":lol:

Vettel definitely has a man crush on Kimi. Also I liked how in the same message they said "If we get fined again you're paying it."

Vettel definitely has a man crush on Kimi. Also I liked how in the same message they said "If we get fined again you're paying it."

I'm sure 25,000 Euro is nothing for Vettel. Also I'd say he does have a crush on Kimi. I remember a certain podium last year with the two and Vettel cursed on stage. I think he only did so due to Kimi because he'd never done so before. He is a smart ass with his comments at times but cursing I hadn't seen from him until that moment.

I'm sure 25,000 Euro is nothing for Vettel. Also I'd say he does have a crush on Kimi. I remember a certain podium last year with the two and Vettel cursed on stage. I think he only did so due to Kimi because he'd never done so before. He is a smart ass with his comments at times but cursing I hadn't seen from him until that moment.
I remember that, and thought the same thing. I think they are good friends though off the track.

I remember that, and thought the same thing. I think they are good friends though off the track.

They're also neighbors.

Good cover for Vettel. ;)

The race wasn't anything to shout about, bit of a precession at the front after the first corner.

Some decent scraps in the midfield and some nailbiting moments (Alonso vs Vergne) etc.

Quite happy that Vettel did donuts for the crowd. There needs to be more of stuff like that after the race, shows the drivers' human side. I hope Vettel now does donuts every time he wins, might win some people over.

Just figured out Vettel has finished 1st more times than he has finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th put together. If you aint first, you're last.

Just seen this on twitter. It seems the car recorded a 28G impact when Alonso had that off track excursion. That meant a mandatory visit to hospital

BYLTzlYIQAA09wh.jpg:large

And the man himself tweeted this 2 hours ago:

Fernando Alonso
Hello! Thanks for all the support messages! The night was so so, I will do more tests this afternoon and try to be 100% as soon as possible!

28G JESUS! That off track excursion certainly didn't look like an awful lot. It must have been for like far less than a second though. Time plays a big part in whether higher Gs injure us or not.

Wonder what the exact impact was though? Did he get a bit airborn off the curbs or was what looked like a grazing touch to the other car really turn out to be a rough impact that didn't damage the cars too much?

He definitely went airborne for a split second. If there was a 28g impact to another car, I'm sure they would both be out of the race.

He definitely went airborne for a split second. If there was a 28g impact to another car, I'm sure they would both be out of the race.
It must have been the force of the bump up when he was about to rejoin the track what gave him it, can't see anywhere else that the car has any sudden movements.

What is the G-Force rating that requires a visit to the medical center anyway?

Back