2013 US G.D. - Racecamp is finished! Nick McMillen (GumballCGT) is our champion!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 1,566 comments
Episode 3 is now on youtube!

Just to clarify on the braking challenge:

We all got two attempts at the braking challenge. Only the fastest run counted.

I nailed my first one. Good speed, no pit crew hits, etc. Because I banked a good run, I went extra hard for the second run and went too far. They decided to only show my crash run and neglected to show my clean run.

---

And yes, I am an idiot for not being able to find my helmet.... :)

Last edited:
Finally watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes.

Tim, you reminded me of the kid that's always gets picked last in PE. Try as you could, you were the load and got flak for it. I know it's a reality show and hence, does everything to make people look bad but still, I had the urge to slug Bill. No offense. :lol:

Kudos on Tyrell for pushing forward despite the ankle and that he wasn't eliminated. Otherwise, I would've ranted off about how the obstacle course is a silly exercise.

Just wanted to say I'm mighty jealous of you guys and what you got to do so far. :P But in all seriousness, amazing job by everyone competing from what I've seen. It's amazing how hard everyone pushed and just how important you guys proved it is to every single one of you. My hat goes off to everyone who made it to Silverstone, and I can't wait to see it all finish up... especially if some of the *ahem* drama is as good as the first 3 episodes!

When you guys went to the go kart track diring the National Finals, was it the one in Jersey City?

I am turning into a huge GT Academy fanboy...I did the time trial this year and made it to the top 1000 on the pad after many hours, and now I'm obsessed with doing better next year. I bought a DFGT, pre-ordered GT6, and I'm making plans to visit my first autocross event because of the advice of you guys. I'm trying to get a used 350Z next year as well. Can't wait to see who hangs in there on tonight's episode. And I would love to eventually work my way up to racing you guys online!

I am turning into a huge GT Academy fanboy...I did the time trial this year and made it to the top 1000 on the pad after many hours, and now I'm obsessed with doing better next year. I bought a DFGT, pre-ordered GT6, and I'm making plans to visit my first autocross event because of the advice of you guys. I'm trying to get a used 350Z next year as well. Can't wait to see who hangs in there on tonight's episode. And I would love to eventually work my way up to racing you guys online!
I can tell you the best thing you can do for the gaming side is to join a league and race regularly. I recommend SNAIL as they do all spec racing. There were 4 full time snails that made it to Silverstone this year and a few others that raced in snail on occasion. I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it there without the experience I got racing with them. If you want other advice feel free to pm me.

Last edited:
I can tell you the best thing you can do for the gaming side is to join a league and race regularly. I recommend SNAIL as they do all spec racing. There were 4 full time snails that made it to Silverstone this year and a few others that raced in snail on occasion. I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it there without the experience I got racing with them. If you want other advice feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the advice. Signed up for the snails. Now we'll see if I can keep up!

So the rally thing was a bit frustrating to hear the judges comments while you were all driving. It wasn't clear if they were looking for the fastest time or the best show from a driver? And more importantly, did they tell you guys which was more important to them before hand?
I mean you cold put on a great show and waste lots of time by running some really really large slip angles and such, if that's what they wanted.

This all reminded me of one of my autocrossing experiences while there when the instructor massively drifted the car the whole way around the course on his demonstration run for me, and then proceeded to tell me he was going to time me when I did my runs, and told me that faster was better. You've never seen a man so confused as I was at that point :confused: Was definitely not expecting the instructors be so misled about autox driving.

Funny thing was the same exact thing happened again like 2 days later, different autox course, different car, different instructor who also thought drifting was the fast way around an autox course. Maybe Heitkotter has given them some instruction on autox since then, being a multi-time national champion and all.

Was still great to watch, although would be fun to have the episodes longer so we could see more driving:)

Was still great to watch, although would be fun to have the episodes longer so we could see more driving:)

You guys got the only hour time slot... I agree, was a much better format though they've done a much better job this season on the pacing. RIP SpeedVision.

So the rally thing was a bit frustrating to hear the judges comments while you were all driving. It wasn't clear if they were looking for the fastest time or the best show from a driver? And more importantly, did they tell you guys which was more important to them before hand?
I mean you cold put on a great show and waste lots of time by running some really really large slip angles and such, if that's what they wanted.

This all reminded me of one of my autocrossing experiences while there when the instructor massively drifted the car the whole way around the course on his demonstration run for me, and then proceeded to tell me he was going to time me when I did my runs, and told me that faster was better. You've never seen a man so confused as I was at that point :confused: Was definitely not expecting the instructors be so misled about autox driving.

Funny thing was the same exact thing happened again like 2 days later, different autox course, different car, different instructor who also thought drifting was the fast way around an autox course. Maybe Heitkotter has given them some instruction on autox since then, being a multi-time national champion and all.

As I'm sure you know it's all in the edit. For example the run they showed of mine was my practice lap where I screwed up not my second lap where it was good. Nor did they show the perfect scandy flick I did in the next corner. Also I found out later that my time was 3rd or 4th but they show it different on TV. Also we did three races in the micras not two and the one they showed first was the last one. They didn't show Patrick slamming into me right before I spun him. As far as what they were looking for we were just as confused as you are because Boris was saying he wanted to see one of us crash but other feedback was to go fast.

Yea the editing has been kinda goofy the whole time.

For example, I spun on the practice lap that they told us didn't count but they showed it as my real run. Also I went 2nd, not at the very end.

Z06, they told us that it was a timed event and hitting tires was a penalty. As it turned out, they didn't care about times or penalties at all but just wanted us to hang it out sideways which clearly isn't the fastest way even on a rally course.

Oh well :) I love how long they had to bleep me out when I got kicked. Good stuff!

Its great to hear all your stories vs. what was shown. It's interesting how they can make the show they want just by the editing.
It was funny listening to the judges during the rally, seemed like they didn't know what they were looking for.

Just watched the new episode. That Micra racing looked incredibly fun! Sorry about the elimination Bill. It's kinda sad how the judges didn't know what to look for on the dirt track. 👎

Great show this season guys, it's been fun to watch, I'm looking forward to see how it turns out!

Also I was thinking about how cool it would be if in GT6 Kaz used all the GT Academy Silverstone participants names as AI names in offline mode? Kind of a nerdy thought, but it would be cool nonetheless to be a part of GT forever.

Also I was thinking about how cool it would be if in GT6 Kaz used all the GT Academy Silverstone participants names as AI names in offline mode? Kind of a nerdy thought, but it would be cool nonetheless to be a part of GT forever.

This is an insanely awesome idea! It would require minimal effort for PD to add/patch AI names, and it would effectively immortalize the finalists into Gran Turismo (and gaming) history. I can't think of a better way for Kaz to say "thanks" to those whose skill and devotion to his game has helped make GT Academy such a success over the years. 👍

Great show this season guys, it's been fun to watch, I'm looking forward to see how it turns out!

Haha then I'll be the most aggressive driver, on the limit all the time ;)

Latest Posts

Back