2013 US G.D. - Racecamp is finished! Nick McMillen (GumballCGT) is our champion!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 1,566 comments
I'm looking forward to watching it on youtube, but congrats Nick. :)đź‘Ť And well done to all finalists.

Congrats Nick! Awesome job in the final. Man, everyone who made it to the top 5 congrats guys, you did well. Patrick, I know you have it in you and don't give up. Chris I know you are on here as well, you have the speed man, don't let this keep you down, you can still use this as a building block to a professional career, look at Sean Johnston.

Anyways, I was super excited watching that race, great job guys.

Much thanks to all of you guys! It's been crazy having to keep this a secret for so long haha. I'll be posting some more stuff tomorrow when I can :D. Ahh this is crazy!

Maybe I'll just make a separate thread tomorrow to make it easy haha.

You could start by updating that signature to 2013 GT Academy Winner. :)

Whoop! Whoop! First post with the new sig! :dopey:

now you just need to Change your avatar... you ain't racing for ze Germans son. ;)

oh and R.I.P. Mr. Cunningham... Hello Mr. McMillen.
Now fill us in on all the torture they've been putting you through. :D

Congratulations to Nick on getting that red helmet. Well done to everyone else who were there at Silverstone. It is amazing to see racers emerge from playing The Real Driving Simulator.

I'm going to try and setup a thread here and a facebook post with the same message if I have the time tonight on what I've been up to lately and the future plans. There's a lot to go over so it will be a long post haha. I'll keep you all posted. For a post for my racing where do you guys suggest I post it? GT Academy thread?

I'm going to try and setup a thread here and a facebook post with the same message if I have the time tonight on what I've been up to lately and the future plans. There's a lot to go over so it will be a long post haha. I'll keep you all posted. For a post for my racing where do you guys suggest I post it? GT Academy thread?

GT Academy forum is the most logical place to make a "What's winning GT Academy like?" thread; though if you're unsure poke @Wardez. Eddie is the Academy's #1 cheerleader and now a moderator/writer for GTP. Maybe he could work with you and have Jordan post something on the news feed for maximum visibility. You should know him from the 2012 Nationals.... way back when you were 19. ;)

Haha gotta love the inside jokes! I'm sure next time I see Mike Miller he's gonna give me crap for that! I'll shoot a message to Eddie. Talked to him this morning a little bit before he posted the article about me on the newsfeed.

What all do you guys want to know?! I'll try and see what I can add in as I answer what I've been up to. It'll help me write a better first post as well. Question away!

I just want to know what the experience has been like, what happens next after GT Academy? Do they fly you home and you relax for a bit? Where do you end up and what is the process you go through before you get to racing? That is what interests me the most.

Great last episode, really glad that it was an hour and they had lots of coverage of each of you with the instructors + lots of qualifying footage. đź‘Ť

Congrats to Nick:cheers:

ON a side note, did anyone notice the 2 GTR's used in the dog fight were not the same car? If they were "as delivered from the factory" as far as the engine tune etc, the silver one was a newer version and would have had more power. Using the GTR on Stowe is kind of like a bull in china shop anyway so wouldn't matter as much.

Great last episode, really glad that it was an hour and they had lots of coverage of each of you with the instructors + lots of qualifying footage. đź‘Ť

ON a side note, did anyone notice the 2 GTR's used in the dog fight were not the same car? If they were "as delivered from the factory" as far as the engine tune etc, the silver one was a newer version and would have had more power. Using the GTR on Stowe is kind of like a bull in china shop anyway so wouldn't matter as much.

...or a jetski in a bathtub. Take your pick, I thought the same thing lol.

The white one with the signatures on it was the oldest GTR there. I think they also did 2 races so maybe they switched cars to keep it fair?
@hillracing would have all the details, but you're right. We took a spin while the guys were doing their practice laps and it's way too much car for Stowe. Stopwatch timing and my cell phone data logger showed we weren't getting better lap times than the Z even though it was going a good 10-15mph faster on the straights the slow corners are just too slow and the straights are too short for the extra power to make much of a difference.

I'd describe it as more of an angry bear on a leash.

We took a spin while the guys were doing their practice laps and it's way too much car for Stowe. Stopwatch timing and my cell phone data logger showed we weren't getting better lap times than the Z even though it was going a good 10-15mph faster on the straights the slow corners are just too slow and the straights are too short for the extra power to make much of a difference.

I'd describe it as more of an angry bear on a leash.

I was wearing a Go-Pro when we did this. In case anyone cares, here's the footage from that (sorry for that bar across the top :( ):

You can hear the Helicopter in the background filming the other guys for the show.

Before the dog fight they did a coin flip and let Dan who won it pick the car he would use. We stayed in the same cars and did 2 races. It wasn't anywhere as close as TV made it look.

In qualifying for the final race my fast lap was not really a good lap as I caught up to Nick mid lap and lost probably .5 at least in the last sector. On lap 3 when I backed off I backed way off and somehow still caught up to Patrick coming into the last chicane on a lap that would have been an 18 something for sure which is why I was so pissed at him. Then I tried the pass locked up the rears over the bumps and had to spin it to not hit him.

Also the pass in the final race happened in turn 3 on the last lap not the final turn. Just made one stupid mistake and that was it. To be honest I was not pressured into the mistake as much as just struggling with a car that had no front bias on the brakes and locked the rears anytime you broke even slightly late or slightly underblipped on a downshift. My one regret from that race was not pushing hard the whole race instead of playing it safe like I did. I had a nice lead early in the race and didn't see the point in taking to many risks as I felt like I could keep the gap. Later in the race when Nick started closing on me my rear tires where very much gone so I was struggling for rear grip through all the high speed stuff. I think that was part of why I had so little rear grip when he passed me.

Anyways congrats to Nick. At least a SNAIL won. Gonna keep chasing the dream somehow.

To be honest I was not pressured into the mistake as much as just struggling with a car that had no front bias on the brakes and locked the rears anytime you broke even slightly late or slightly underblipped on a downshift.

That's actually one thing I loved about those cars, it was a riot :P. Sorry about your luck, despite the editing I knew exactly what corner that was. Braking into T3 happensn REALLY quickly after getting the car settled from the highspeed T1/2 complex.

Back