2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Thrilling race, best I've seen at Bahrain. Look so good at night, cars fighting and bouncing around.

Some incredible team mate battles, most notably Lewis and Rosberg. Super pass by Lewis on the inside of Rosberg and then great defending. I was pleased to hear Nico only complain about the early incident, it was very good racing after that. Well played Nico and Lewis. I think they have to race hard to get camera action for the sponsors as there's so much happening down the field.

Was very impressed with Perez and Ricciardo.

Perhaps with the track being start stop and the cars more engine sided its makes this track come alive.

Kinda leads on to Ferrari and their lack of speed. Must admit I haven't been following the build up to the opening to hear what Ferrari's problems are, but I'd guess its the electric motor side?

Well, it only took 10 years but Bahrain has finally produced a decent race! It looks so good under the lights.
This, along with Valencia and Abu Dhabi in 2012 are proof to me that circuit design is not the problem: car design is. With less downforce and massive amounts of torque, the cars are difficult to drive, and that's what makes for good racing.

Amazing stuff, the "Arabian Night's" theme really got the party started! :lol: It was interesting that most of the action actually came from team battles but it was good they mostly let them get on with it (because it's early in the season).

The only F1 race for a long time that I want to watch through again in its entirety.

Pastor got halfway up Gutierrez's sidepod by entering too hot, and basically used Gutierrez's car to slow down for the corner, otherwise he wouldn't have flipped him clear over.
More like Maldozer tried to a apply a Gran Turismo tactic in a real race situation.

s1_1.jpg

s1_1.jpg

I missed the race because it was on at one in the morning.

I am annoyed because the replay won't be on until midnight.

I am doubly annoyed because the broadcaster will happily show the NASCAR Sprint Cup live, and interrupt all of their other programming because it is raining, but they will still show it in its entirety.

I missed Qualy because of the same time slot, but they (the broadcasters) thought a replay at 4.30am was the right time. They also thought 3 episodes of Biggest Loser Challenge in the afternoon was a good thing too.

Turn 4 produced some of the most exciting passing attempts and completions, I've seen for many a GP.
Except for the obvious (smashdonaldo), the driving standard was edge of the seat stuff.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed today's race, hopefully we get more like it this season :)

Only thing that annoyed me was the Merc battle, every time Rosberg went to overtake around the outside Hamilton just ran him off the track. It's the sort of "race craft" I'd expect in karting, not from an F1 driver.

This, along with Valencia and Abu Dhabi in 2012 are proof to me that circuit design is not the problem: car design is. With less downforce and massive amounts of torque, the cars are difficult to drive, and that's what makes for good racing.
Agreed, on several occasions I notices drivers shifting early to stay lower in the power band in the esses. It was good to see.

Great race today. I've been scouring online for a decent Williams martini t-shirt, with no success yet!

And lest you forget, we owe the late safety car for the last ten laps of excitement of this race. Otherwise it would have just been waiting to see where LH slotted in after his final pit stop, and if Nico could make it to the end on his mediums.

Last edited:

Only thing that annoyed me was the Merc battle, every time
Rosberg went to overtake around the outside Hamilton just ran him off the track. It's the sort of "race
craft" I'd expect in karting, not from an F1 driver.

Yeah it was great :)

True i understand what you mean about running him off track but i dont think it was against the rules so its all good :) no time for sportsmanship in racing lol

Cracking race. Now if only others picked up the pace. It's kinda ridiculous when a team pulls a ten second lead in like two laps.

I agree insofar as Bahrain gave the best race of its 'career' but it occurred to me that now we might see that some of the Tilkedromen are no good for racing whatever the cars do.

Cracking race. Now if only others picked up the pace. It's kinda ridiculous when a team pulls a ten second lead in like two laps.

Yes, the safetycar left the track with ten laps remaining and the Mercs were 25 seconds ahead at the finish, and they battled amongst eachother almost the whole time. That's a bit too much. Also check fastest laps, they were 1,7 seconds quicker than third fastest.

Only thing that annoyed me was the Merc battle, every time Rosberg went to overtake around the outside Hamilton just ran him off the track. It's the sort of "race craft" I'd expect in karting, not from an F1 driver.

Well what should he do let him through? :crazy:. Rosberg should have known after a few attempts it wasn't ever going to work.

I can't remember the last time I watched a race and was nervous about the finish! I hope we'll get more exciting races like this in the future. Was also great to see Sergio get a podium and the likes of RBR and Ferrari finishing behind Williams, Force India etc. Great race which was topped off by an awesome singer doing the podium questions! But I'll bet none of them knew who he was.

You're struggling with a new formula after having perfected driving the old one, in a car that's down on power and down on reliability, up against a hotshot rookie, and suffering all of this with the knowledge that half the fanbase wants you to fail.

I don't think anybody would be happy in that situation.

Well what should he do let him through? :crazy:. Rosberg should have known after a few attempts it wasn't ever going to work.

Also, that particular turn that Rosberg tried to overtake on the outside of, every single lap (well, it seemed like it), had nice, smooth concrete run-off. Hamilton knew Rosberg had enough run-off.

Pretty fair racing, and while Rosberg groused that he didn't win, he wasn't mad about that in particular. The problem is, Hamilton had control of the attacks. He knew which ones would be successful, and set up accordingly, winning the position back right away. Very little Nico could do, as the numerous attacks simply wore his tires out.

Might have been better for him if he tried one particularly strong attack after forcing Hamilton to defend hard for a few laps, but by the end, Rosberg had used up his tires. Shame.

Forcing another driver off track to keep your position should never be an option. Hamilton was very lucky that Rosberg had the sense to lift off, he could easily have just held his line and let Hamilton run into him, but only Maldonado would do that as he showed at Valencia the other year.

Forcing another driver off track to keep your position should never be an option. Hamilton was very lucky that Rosberg had the sense to lift off, he could easily have just held his line and let Hamilton run into him, but only Maldonado would do that as he showed at Valencia the other year.

Think forcing is a little strong, Hamilton is entitled to use all the track, it is the sort of corner that encourages that which is why they removed the sausage Kerb after Maldonado/Raikkonnen's lift offs.

If you didn't get excited by todays race, might I suggest you have someone check you for a pulse, the best I have seen in a long time!
Completely agree. Who'd have thought we'd get such a fantastic grand prix in Bahrain?! Definitely one of the best races for a while. And well done to the teams for letting everyone duke it out without the need for team orders.

Apparently De Montezemolo and Ecclestone both left before it was over. I guess it didn't look good for them having called the drivers "taxi drivers" before the race.:lol: Egg - face!

Oh and how Maldonado is still racing in F1 is beyond me. More proof he's a danger to others. He must come with an enormous cheque in order to make him a viable option as a driver!

Hamilton isn't entitled to use all the track when someone is fully alongside him.
He wasn't fully alongside him whenever Lewis squeezed him. Lewis had track position and is entitled to use all of the track. When Nico was alongside Lewis, they both gave eachother plenty of room and respect.

Back