2015 Round 1- Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit - Nissan GT-R NISMO (GT Academy 2015).

• Thread starter numbnuts70
  • 468 comments
2nd 20min session, down to a 2:06.7 - theoretical best is an 06.2 if all my best sectors come together. Getting there!

Just managed a 2:05:670 in my first session after an hour or so which is good enough for 51st overall and 4th in the UK atm. Still plenty of time to be gained (0.5s or so) especially in sector 3 and at the exit of Becketts.

This one is definitely a fun challenge to manage the understeer and trail braking is essential for good turn in!

And so begins the annual "find flaws in GT physics during GT Academy to go faster" routine.
That's the nature of competition. Anyone with aspirations to get past the time trials should use every advantage available because everyone else will.
Chances are PD aren't trying to replicate the car exactly, but created a car with behavior characteristics that force the driver to use very specific techniques to achieve a quick lap time. Managing the understeer is probably the most crucial part of this first round.
If that's the case, next round better be a drift machine like last year's GT-R.

I seem to **** in the pants when I go faster than my previous best and mess up the lap . Any tips ?
Currently have a high 2:05xxx
That's quite common.:D

2'05.846 to beat for you in your next session. Hopefully we can push each other into the 2'04's.;)

Edit: Congrats on your promotion in WRS. You're flying towards D1G.:eek::cheers:

Last edited:
Well not sure what happened overnight, I only got 6 hours as a few people wanted the video up last night so still majorly tired (8 hours planned sleep tonight so that will wake me up :P) but no plans to play now until Friday!

Even so, by lap 2 of my session after work today I had gained .4 tenths and by the end I was on a 2:05.4xx with a theoretical best of 2:04.7xx! So I'm well happy to be honest as it means I'm back on par with where I used to be :D!

I know a few of you aren't enjoying this combo that much and I've had alot of messages on all sorts of social media about tips so the one I've been mentioning most is to focus on 1 corner at a time, the entire Silverstone circuit is hard to improve on if you focus everywhere!! Pick an important corner (One with a straight after it, e.g. The Loop) and practice it until you are consistent there!

Anyhow I don't normally do this (Straight after day 1) but uploaded the big improvement :)!

Remember don't burn yourselves out to quick, it's only round 1!

Last edited:
Finally set a time with I am happy with. 2:05.807. Now comes the hardest part, looking for improvement. There are still plenty of time to do it, so let's see how much can I improve.

I would like to encourage all the people struggling with the combo to keep pushing. Of course, like @Tidgney stated don't burn yourselves out but also don't fall in despair at the first frustrated attempt. Look replays, download top players lines and watch @Tidgney's video for example. I remember that last year, when I struggled to get into top1000, I watched his video with tips and I understood how to get fast. So, if I didn't make it last year, I would like to thank you now. Your video helped me and surely, a lot of people out there. Thanks for the effort, it's worthy.

And so begins the annual "find flaws in GT physics during GT Academy to go faster" routine.

Did you expect anything less, happens every year. I remember one year, can't remember ecactly, 2011 or '12 maybe, where people were actually using the grass to boost their speed by putting one side of their car in the grass.

The first year's event (the 350Z on Eiger) felt fair, but I might have been too young and naive to notice the cheats. Were there any? It's the only year I took it seriously.

probably will be rewards for competing or maybe getting all gold once the competition is over? but yeah I agree I was expecting it after I put my time in.

2nd attempt last night (only played about 30 mins last night, 2 hours the night before) and I subbed out my Fanatec GT2 wheel (don't particularly like the wheel, but I love using a load cell brake) and subbed in my G27 (MUCH prefer the wheel, but I HATE the pedals). Got down to a 2.07.074 from a 2.07.1xx, so pretty similar times. Pretty bummed I didn't crack into the 2.06 barrier with the lap I did. I actually changed up my driving style a bit last night to try and compensate for the understeer. I was cranking on close to 200 degrees of steering lock in some corners. It feels so unnatural and wrong, but it was getting results weirdly enough.

It actually felt quite a bit like how you have to drive in 'Formula Truck 2013'. I find it an incredibly frustrating way to have to drive, but I think I do understand why they've set the car up this way (to see how the user can handle and overcome understeer). Hopefully I'll get some time to have another try tonight (if I don't get too frustrated :) )

Edit: I hardly play GT6, but I'm assuming you can't have separate wheels / pedals for GT6 right? I actually haven't tried it (and I'm at work now). EG: I can't use my G27 wheel with my Fanatec pedals (both connected via USB to the console), correct?

Last edited:
Once I get my 2:05, that'll be it for me. My wheel is about ten years old and I'd like for it to make it through to the final round so it can reach retirement. :lol:

Mine is only 7 years old but in "Cargo years", that's about 14 years old. :lol:

Hoping mine makes it through the Academy as well as its lost a lot of its tightness and such. After the Academy, I'll be switching to Xbox and a whole new setup so mine will be retired as well.

That's quite common.:D

2'05.846 to beat for you in your next session. Hopefully we can push each other into the 2'04's.;)

Edit: Congrats on your promotion in WRS. You're flying towards D1G.:eek::cheers:
I have taken a short break because I did almost 600kms in a day and half.I will get back to it later this evening or tomorrow

Had my first EVER hit-out in GT Academy today. Wasn't quite as average as I thought! Still only in the 17,000s on the world leaderboards...but in one 45-minute session after work today I got down to 2:10.924, with some more time out there on the track I'm sure. More practice (without cameras rolling!) will help :)

Here is the video of my first ever steps into GT Academy. This series is gonna be fun! I look forward to seeing how I grow, improve, and see how far I can go across the next few weeks. :)

Had my first EVER hit-out in GT Academy today. Wasn't quite as average as I thought! Still only in the 17,000s on the world leaderboards...but in one 45-minute session after work today I got down to 2:10.924, with some more time out there on the track I'm sure. More practice (without cameras rolling!) will help :)

Here is the video of my first ever steps into GT Academy. This series is gonna be fun! I look forward to seeing how I grow, improve, and see how far I can go across the next few weeks. :)

:lol::lol::lol: For a minute, I thought I was watching an episode of "Top Gear". :lol: If anything, an excellent source of entertainment and very well done. :bowdown: A great way to look at it from a lighter side of things. 👍 I would so nominate you to be the voice of GTP, you just seem to have that natural broadcasting voice and delivery. 👍 I no doubt will watch this again just for the entertainment value and look forward to your next episode. Keep up the great work, you are a natural....broadcaster that is. :mischievous: :sly: :lol: :cheers:

I can anyone tell me about how many people try the event? I'm sitting at a 207.7ish which has me 1405th rank in the world. I'm just curious how many have tried it so far?

I can anyone tell me about how many people try the event? I'm sitting at a 207.7ish which has me 1405th rank in the world. I'm just curious how many have tried it so far?
Unfortunately, that's the big failing of GT6 leaderboards: you have no idea how many people took part in the event and you have no idea what percentile you're in.

I can tell you this, thought: my craptastic first time last night (2:18-something, I think) put me in 36,000-somethingth place.

I just booted up GT6, so as of this moment my current time of 2:13.925 puts me at 38,174th on the leaderboard. It was good for like 26,000th place about 22 hours ago, so that should give you an idea of how rapidly the leaderboard is growing.

Moral of the story is that you 1,405th place entry is very, very good. :)

2:06.195 after two more hours. I did run a 05.99x but it was red thanks to going an inch too wide exiting Copse. Annoyingly, people tried to talk to me while I was driving so I had my say:

People just don't understand.

Anyways, I made some mental notes. If these help anyone, you're welcome. :)

Abbey-Farm: Abuse the inside curbing on approach. Whatever you do, don't let the car drift all the way out on exit. Position the car so you can turn for Farm the second you straighten out. I've held 110 mph once or twice but 107 is a good number.

Village: I like engine braking into Village and modulate the brake. One of the few spots where I may get too much rotation, believe it or not. Anything below 50 mph and that's too slow.

Loop: I go with partial brake and hope I can get good turn-in. This is where I really have to tell myself not to overlap the gas and brake. I believe that's why I struggled so much in 2013.

Brooklands: Trying to determine whether going a little easier on entry is better than charging in. Whatever the case, stay right on the racing line. Bit of a tightrope.

Luffield: One of the times understeer is actually a benefit. Do a double apex. Charge hard on the inside at high speed and let that GT-R wash up to the racing line. Be patient with the gas, though. When you do throttle up, it should be at 100% with 2nd gear. Rear will actually kick out a bit so you shouldn't need that much wheel.

Copse: Braking needs to be early and not quite full. Where the darker patch of track ends is roughly when you should start turn in. I say roughly because results are inconsistent. However, it's better than trying to wait until right before the 50 meter board. That's what I would rather do to clear the apex better but there's too little grip by then.

Maggots/Beckets/Chapel: Get Maggots wrong and the lap's toast. Push the fronts too hard and the lap's toast. Best laps I've had through here has been when I carried the speed through Maggots and I was deliberate through the other two corners while keeping the car moving. With my wobbly low-resistance wheel, it's a nightmare.

Stowe: In 2013, I had the number on this corner. Not so much here. The ideal method is aiming for a super late apex by staying on the outer edge but it's a lot harder with the GT-R. Try to stay just below full brake at the very start and slowly take back it off while turning.

Vale/Club: Brake straight right after the turn board. After that, try to carry the speed through the left and when going right, dump the throttle just enough for some rotation. Then be brave and don't lift all the way through the line.

Last edited:
I was not gonna give it a try today but gave it and improved by 4 tenths 2:05:532 .That is 36th atm :P
lost a tenth in T1 compared to my PB and some time at copse still searching for a good line through maggots and beckets,
hopefully can get 3 tenths if I string my PB sectors.

Last edited:
I found an easy way to get a 2:08.802 with no driver aids but the suggested line, AT, and ABS1. What you basically do is... well, maybe a picture can explain it best:

V7ok3ct.jpg

I call the technique "MP4-12C" and the way it works is you don't drive this awful GT-R NISMO on this track. :lol:

In all seriousness, I did a few more attempts tonight and I just couldn't take it anymore. As others have said, this just isn't fun. This car is just so unpleasant to drive I had to hit up this track in a car I do like. After my ever-increasing annoyance with this event, driving this track in the MP4-12C was relaxing.

I was, however, curious to test if the GT-R NISMO is being deliberately handicapped for this event, so I tried it out, too. I used the same SS tires, TC0, ABS1, AT, and driving line I'm using in the GTA2015 event and set the car to 100% stock. Interestingly, my lap times were actually worse than my best lap (though no worse than the other horrible times I was getting tonight). Despite that, though, the car felt better. After sector one, I was sucking and consistently losing time to my ghost, but for some reason I didn't want to throw my wheel at my TV while doing it. :)

So I've tentatively concluded that there probably is something off about the car in this event, but that whatever it is, it's not actually hurting my lap times on good laps, just making it more frustrating/annoying to achieve those lap times. Which makes no sense, but the numbers don't lie—however much better the GT-R NISMO felt in the Arcade Mode Time Trial, it wasn't posting any faster lap times and I was losing time to my best lap from last night just as badly (after sector one, anyway).

Anyway, I think I might be done with this. It's annoying and embarrassing to get bronze on a time trial, but when I really think about the cost of getting gold on this to the benefits of it, I think I have other things I'd enjoy a lot more.

Good luck to those of you still working away of it, though! :gtpflag:

Was really bummed to see the format switch essentially making it a lot harder to reach National Finals and even harder to attend the race camp final in Silverstone. So gave a good 6-8 hours on the combo to see if being top 20 is even feasible. Managed a 2.05.977 and feel I got 2-3 tenths to find but that would be a stretch for sure.

So I can only hope that most of the fast guys have posted laps times close to their potential. I got a chance I suppose. Good luck to everyone!

Knocked about half a second off my time tonight. Down to a 2:07.746 and in 1458th overall as of this post. Struggled to match my time from yesterday, then I turned the map off and started getting quicker immediately. I guess not focusing on the map helped me focus on my lines better.

Getting the gold trophy was far easier than I expected. Managed to do a 2:10.3 but it wasn't a perfect lap. BTW, the sound of the car is a bit different- there's a slight crunch and some extra reverb, like that of the VGT's above 6000 rpm. Could someone confirm?

Last edited:
Getting the gold trophy was far easier than I expected. Managed to do a 2:10.3 but it wasn't a perfect lap. BTW, the sound of the car is a bit different- there's a slight crunch and some extra reverb, like that of the VGT's above 6000 rpm. Could someone confirm?

I noticed this too. I just chalked it up to GT6 sounds never really being that good to begin with. I just turned my sound way down because it was annoying.

Back