2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go see IndyCar if they came to Phoenix. The only things out here to watch otherwise are Dirt racing, drag racing and the two NASCAR weekends. None of which interest me.

On the topic of the Fontana race: Yes it was dangerous, but it created a sense of edge-of-your-seat excitement that I cannot recall experiencing in a long time. Maybe it was morbid, maybe it was beautiful.

I think that the resolution to the metal fence issue needs to get it's wheels moving so that that threat can be removed to let the drivers feel more comfortable moving at those speeds like they were.

To give you a deep inside scoop about that, NASCAR was the critical piece for it to go forward. IndyCar doesn't have enough clout to get a "Safer Fence" installed for their races alone, but with NASCAR supporting the idea now, too, better fence safety should become a reality in the next few years. No more cars turning into grated cheese when they hit that thing.

If a Phoenix race happened, I assume it wouldn't be considered OK to use that 'short-cut' that came with the new NASCAR configuration? After all, IndyCars might not respond that well to such a sudden drop off the banking.

And here was me thinking that the Phoenix Street Circuit might get revived...:dopey:

It surprises me that Road America isn't already on the IndyCar calendar, it's a good track for it. Along with COTA too, how has that not got on the calendar? Surely a lot of crowds will head there and they could have it back to back with the Firestone 600.

I wish they came to São Paulo again, either at Interlagos (not happening because of the stupid exlusivity formula rule of FIA)
Is there any actual source that states that F1 bans Indycar from going to tracks that F1 races at? I do not think there is such a rule as Champ Car went to Montreal in 2007. I think it is more of the venues rejecting Indycars sanctioning fees or Indycar not wanting their times compared (which both are rumors I might add)

Last edited:
Is there any actual source that states that F1 bans Indycar from going to tracks the F1 races at? I do not think there is such a rule as Chanp Car went to

I heard that rule a few years ago, but I don't know if that's true. No one ever contested that, so I think it's true. I can be wrong though.

Is there any actual source that states that F1 bans Indycar from going to tracks that F1 races at? I do not think there is such a rule as Champ Car went to Montreal in 2007. I think it is more of the venues rejecting Indycars sanctioning fees or Indycar not wanting their times compared (which both are rumors I might add)
That's only a rule with newly built tracks I think, and I think their "exclusivity" deals are a first-run event. There's nothing keeping Indycar from running at F1 venues except Indycar itself.

COTA was a serious consideration for them until Eddie Gossage stepped in and threatened to ban them from Texas Motor Speedway or some nonsense like that.

That's only a rule with newly built tracks I think, and I think their "exclusivity" deals are a first-run event. There's nothing keeping Indycar from running at F1 venues except Indycar itself.

COTA was a serious consideration for them until Eddie Gossage stepped in and threatened to ban them from Texas Motor Speedway or some nonsense like that.
Hardly a threat.

Why is Gossage such a rear end about that track, not to mention the others for Texas?
Because he wants his precious speedway to be the biggest and best auto racing attraction in Texas. It's also why he had an even larger led screen built at the track so he could outdo the one at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

He also complained when F1 scheduled the US Grand Prix on the same weekend as the NASCAR race at Texas. He thought F1 would take away all the fans from NASCAR, but experience would tell you that NASCAR fans and F1 fans aren't the same...

He also complained when F1 scheduled the US Grand Prix on the same weekend as the NASCAR race at Texas. He thought F1 would take away all the fans from NASCAR, but experience would tell you that NASCAR fans and F1 fans aren't the same...
Yup, most F1 fans still have all their teeth.

IndyCar doesn't just pick tracks out of a hat and say "Let's go there!"

There has to be a promoter group that gets involved with bringing the race into town. Once they get the sponsors and the money, they are the ones who then secure the venue and approach the series with the idea of racing at the track. This can be done on behalf of the track or by the track itself usually. But if there are no promoters, sponsors, or interest from the track, then it doesn't matter how much IndyCar wants to go there.

IndyCar doesn't just pick tracks out of a hat and say "Let's go there!"

There has to be a promoter group that gets involved with bringing the race into town. Once they get the sponsors and the money, they are the ones who then secure the venue and approach the series with the idea of racing at the track. This can be done on behalf of the track or by the track itself usually. But if there are no promoters, sponsors, or interest from the track, then it doesn't matter how much IndyCar wants to go there.

Exactly, but there is nothing stopping indycar personnel from getting the ball rolling,

Exactly, but there is nothing stopping indycar personnel from getting the ball rolling,
True, but that would mean IndyCar would REALLY want to be racing at that track, and that would imply desperation, which could bring down the amount of money they charge for them to go to that track, and if other promoters and tracks show interest without their needing to get involved, all the better, even if they are less-illustrious venues.

True, but that would mean IndyCar would REALLY want to be racing at that track, and that would imply desperation, which could bring down the amount of money they charge for them to go to that track, and if other promoters and tracks show interest without their needing to get involved, all the better, even if they are less-illustrious venues.

Very valid point there, never looked at it from that perspective, though you would think its more encouraging as a track owner to have series wanting to race on your circuit,

The next round of the 2015 IndyCar Series championship is at the Milwaukee Mile. It is really confounding that this track is actually OLDER than the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! Indy opened in 1909 while the Milwaukee Mile opened in 1903. Of course, there is nothing like historic venues still being used and still appealing to the current generation. I don't have any real memories of races at the Milwaukee Mile. Though, I do remember (I think it was at Milwaukee) Danica Patrick getting up in Dan Wheldon's face a little bit before or after a race. As a track, the Milwaukee Mile is kind of like a smaller Indy. Only difference is that you don't have as much of straightaway between the corners like you do at Indy.

Next weekend's race should be a pretty good one on a fairly good track.

The next round of the 2015 IndyCar Series championship is at the Milwaukee Mile. It is really confounding that this track is actually OLDER than the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! Indy opened in 1909 while the Milwaukee Mile opened in 1903. Of course, there is nothing like historic venues still being used and still appealing to the current generation. I don't have any real memories of races at the Milwaukee Mile. Though, I do remember (I think it was at Milwaukee) Danica Patrick getting up in Dan Wheldon's face a little bit before or after a race. As a track, the Milwaukee Mile is kind of like a smaller Indy. Only difference is that you don't have as much of straightaway between the corners like you do at Indy.

Next weekend's race should be a pretty good one on a fairly good track.
I went with my parents back in the 90s to a race there. A great track indeed!

So they're indeed getting back to racing at Milwaukee right on my b-day. Last year's race was a snoozefest because drivers settled for a funeral procession after the tires became just a few laps old, so hopefully things will be different this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back