2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dale Sr. also famously loosened his belts during the race..... Even if his belts HAD been new, he simply moved too much.

This is sad. May God bless everyone through this trial. And I mean that both ways. :(

So, is this suppose to make somebody feel better? If anything it sounds callous. Many motorsport injuries and deaths are the results of poor safety measures that should have been noticed and rectified beforehand. That fact seems to elude you. You act as though every single racing injury or death is completely unforseeable and random. Thinking that may make you feel better, but it doesnt make it the truth.

So what series on Earth has such an impeccable safety record?

Pocono's issue was (is) attendance figures, a weekend that wasn't really suitable for a race until they moved the date back to August (July 4th weekend is what it was for the first two races) and a lack of promotion of the event; almost nowhere in my area (Stroudsburg) was there a promotional campaign for IndyCar.

There was (and still is) more stuff related to NASCAR still up from the Windows 10 400 or whatever the last one was at both the track and in the areas around it. It also doesn't help when you have Negative Nancy for a track president (Igdalsky... specifically after last year's race. Most of the fans booed when he was introduced this time...)
That is indeed what I was trying to say.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/120749-indycar-vautier-penalized-over-crash-with-rahal Will be unable to participate for 2 of the 2.5 hours of the Friday test session.

And the Dale Coyne tribute livery for Justin Wilson.
phpThumb.php

For I think the first time ever Saturday practice will be on TV.

8/29 1:30 PM ET IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Practice) NBC Sports Network
8/29 6:00 PM ET IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Qualifying) NBC Sports Network
8/30 4:00 PM ET IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Race) NBC Sports Network

For I think the first time ever Saturday practice will be on TV.

8/29 1:30 PM ET IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Practice) NBC Sports Network
8/29 6:00 PM ET IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Qualifying) NBC Sports Network
8/30 4:00 PM ET IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Race) NBC Sports Network
That would be great if that trend could continue, the more TV exposure the better. :D

So, is this suppose to make somebody feel better? If anything it sounds callous. Many motorsport injuries and deaths are the results of poor safety measures that should have been noticed and rectified beforehand. That fact seems to elude you. You act as though every single racing injury or death is completely unforseeable and random. Thinking that may make you feel better, but it doesnt make it the truth.

Not trying to make anyone feel better, simply being realistic, and I wasn't trying to be callous. As I've stated before, I believe the correct thing to do is evaluate all risks in a methodical and analytical fashion, there are accepted ways of doing this (even standardised), reacting to a specific incident might stop that specific incident from happening again, but unless you put preventative actions in place for every other risk at a similar level all you are doing is to see what kills somebody next, then reacting to it (proactive vs. reactive).

What would make me feel better is not thinking things are random or unforeseeable, it would be people taking a measured reaction to an event, not a knee-jerk one. In something as dangerous as motorsport (at least of the 4 wheeled, tarmac variety) I think the level of safety currently achieved is outstanding, which is great because I believe it's been engineered to be safer. In my opinion the only reason why more people aren't killed in Rallying and Motorcycle road racing is blind luck, and if people want to get up in arms about motorsport safety, that's where their attention should be.

If you want 99.9% safe racing, IMO, it can only take place in the virtual world, but then it wouldn't be motorsport.

Moving on to the general topic of Indycar... I'm rooting for Montoya. Sonoma is going to be a nail-biter!

With six people in contention for the title, Sonoma is REALLY going to be a race to watch! And it's always a good track to watch the racing on!

I just hope we don't have a first lap wipe-out like we had last year......

With six people in contention for the title, Sonoma is REALLY going to be a race to watch! And it's always a good track to watch the racing on!

I just hope we don't have a first lap wipe-out like we had last year......
Even with double points, it will be difficult to surpass Montoya unless he has problems. He's been on a roll just about all season.

Even with double points, it will be difficult to surpass Montoya unless he has problems.
Don't be counting your chickens just yet. The charming Sage Karam seems to have the ability to fix just about any problem.

Don't be counting your chickens just yet. The charming Sage Karam seems to have the ability to fix just about any problem.

Thought he wasn't driving this weekend.

Oriol Servia to drive the #25 #badasswilson Honda this weekend.
It's a good choice.

Simona de Silvestro to run the full second season of Formula E. This likely means a full 2016 IndyCar season is off the table.

If Montoya gets a podium & a bonus point he's champion regardless and Rahal needs a top 9 finish with a bonus point to keep any chance of being champion, think it's realistically between the front 3 but anything can happen, wouldn't be surprised that team order aren't used.

Tbh that would seriously mess with you head having something like that happen, as much as I don't like Karam he has nothing to feel guilty for, the way his car snapped suggests its something that you wouldn't be able to catch it without predicting it before hand.

I'm not surprised. Any time something bad happens, it's hard to deal with. When it happens because of YOUR mistake, it's that much harder.

Honestly, I was wondering how long it would take for this to surface.

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding callous, I just know that it's very hard to have a problem and then have someone else be affected by it. Not fun.....

Last edited:
If Montoya gets a podium & a bonus point he's champion regardless and Rahal needs a top 9 finish with a bonus point to keep any chance of being champion, think it's realistically between the front 3 but anything can happen, wouldn't be surprised that team order aren't used.
The only Team Penske driver out of the championship race is Simon Pagenaud. Power and Castroneves still have a shot at the title so they will race Montoya hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back