• 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at 11:30 PM EDT...
1153682843785_468x60_dp01_launch.gif

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/oneof/2006/chassis/

Starting lineup for the 2006 San Jose GP @ San Jose, CA, USA
1 | #1 | Sebastien Bourdais (FRA) | Newman/Hass Racing | 0:48.989 | 106.040 MPH
2 | #3 | Paul Tracy (CAN) | Forsythe Championship Racing | 0:49.810 | 104.292 MPH
3 | #7 | A.J. Allmendinger (USA) | Forsythe Championship Racing | 0:49.264 | 105.448 MPH
4 | #10 | Cristiano da Matta (BRA) | RuSPORT | 0:49.659 | 104.609 MPH
5 | #6 | Oriol Servia (ESP) | PKV Racing | 0:49.813 | 104.286 MPH
6 | #5 | Will Power (AUS) | Team Australia | 0:49.867 | 104.173 MPH
7 | #2 | Bruno Junqueira (BRA) | Newman/Hass Racing | 0:49.887 | 104.131 MPH
8 | #27 | Andrew Ranger (CAN) | Mi-Jack Conquest Racing | 0:49.962 | 103.975 MPH
9 | #14 | Dan Clarke (GBR) | CTE Racing - HVM | 0:50.161 | 103.563 MPH
10 | #19 | Mario Dominguez (MEX) | Dale Coyne Racing | 0:50.215 | 103.451 MPH
11 | #4 | Nelson Philippe (FRA) | CTE Racing - HVM | 0:50.312 | 103.252 MPH
12 | #9 | Justin Wilson (GBR) | RuSPORT | 0:50.341 | 103.192 MPH
13 | #15 | Alex Tagliani (CAN) | Team Australia | 0:50.373 | 103.127 MPH
14 | #34 | Charles Zwolsman (NED) | Mi-Jack Conquest Racing | 0:50.435 | 103.000 MPH
15 | #20 | Katherine Legge (GBR) | PKV Racing | 0:50.473 | 102.922 MPH
16 | #11 | Jan Heylen (BEL) | Dale Coyne Racing | 0:50.838 | 102.183 MPH
17 | #8 | Nicky Pastorelli (NED) | Rocketsports Racing | 0:51.628 | 100.620 MPH

Sebastien Bourdais wins again after race control screwed Paul Tracy and A.J. Allmendinger. And Paul Tracy and Alex Tagliani got into a fight after Tracy wrecked Tagliani! :eek:

VNAF Ace
Sebastien Bourdais wins again after race control screwed Paul Tracy and A.J. Allmendinger. And Paul Tracy and Alex Tagliani got into a fight after Tracy wrecked Tagliani! :eek:
boy and I thought the fight in Grand Am race at Mexico City was explosive. you could clearly see though Paul was trying to avoid conflict.

CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES ANNOUNCES PENALTIES FROM SAN JOSE EVENT

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

The Champ Car World Series today announces penalties stemming from both on- and off-track events that took place during this past weekend's Canary Foundation Grand Prix of San Jose Presented by Taylor Woodrow.

Paul Tracy (#3 Indeck Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) will be placed on probation for the next three races and will forfeit seven (7) championship points for violation of Champ Car Rule 6.29 concerning unjustifiable risk. Tracy will also be fined an undisclosed amount for violation of Champ Car Rule 2.6 regarding conduct, specifically 'Participants engaged in any event....must refrain from intentional physical contact with any participant, inappropriate or profane language...and unsportsmanlike behavior.'

Alex Tagliani (#15 Aussie Vineyards Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) will be fined an undisclosed amount for violation of Champ Car Rule 2.6 regarding conduct, specifically 'Participants engaged in any event....must refrain from intentional physical contact with any participant, inappropriate or profane language...and unsportsmanlike behavior.'

Katherine Legge (#20 Gulfstream/Bell Micro Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) will be placed on probation for the next three races for on-track misconduct.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10689
Glad to see that no one was suspended.

MEDICAL REPORT CONCERNING 2002 CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CRISTIANO DA MATTA

Thursday, August 3, 2006

RuSPORT driver hits deer on track; airlifted to hospital

ELKHART LAKE, Wisc., Aug. 3, 2006 - Champ Car World Series driver Cristiano da Matta (#10 RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) was injured Thursday when his car collided with a deer on-track during today's Champ Car Open Test at Road America.

Da Matta was airlifted to Theda Clark Memorial Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for a subdural hematoma. The following is a statement released by Champ Car Medical Director Dr. Chris Pinderski.

"After arriving at Theda Clark Medical Center a head CT scan showed Cristiano had suffered a subdural hematoma. He was urgently taken to the operating room for surgical removal of the hematoma and is now being observed in the intensive care unit."

The series will continue to closely monitor the situation concerning the 2002 series champion and will issue immediate updates as they become available.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10691
DAMN DEER! Get well soon Cris.

Add another notch to the WTF section of racing history.

I hope Cristiano the best.

I had no idea getting injured from hitting an animal (let alone a deer while going over 200MPH) was possible. every other time I saw a animal get hit, the driver was okay(even though the car never was).

L8 Apex
This, boys and girls, is why humans invented fences...

Was this really appropriate? The man is now in a coma, I hope he can live let alone come back and race. Nothing personal L8 Apex, but you can see where I'm coming from. We don't know anything about the incident. The deer obviously hopped a fence onto the circuit and I can picture the corner I bet it happend in. The deer hears this monster coming and freezes, Cristiano comes around the corner and can do absolutely nothing as the section of track is blind.

trackmap.jpg

The section I am refering to is the carousel.

m.piedgros

one thing that still bothers me is how did it happen. what I'm thinking so far is that the deer was running at the same time the car was going and the front right tire hit one of its legs and it rolled over and perhaps hit him straight in the head face first. in comparison, a full grown deer is taller then a Champ car so perhaps the same effect as a person rolling over the hood and hitting the windshield of a road going vehicle was the same effect that occured with the incident. I could be wrong, but thats the only explanation I see considering he is in a car that at full speed has alot of Gs.

m.piedgros
Was this really appropriate? The man is now in a coma, I hope he can live let alone come back and race. Nothing personal L8 Apex, but you can see where I'm coming from. We don't know anything about the incident. The deer obviously hopped a fence onto the circuit and I can picture the corner I bet it happend in. The deer hears this monster coming and freezes, Cristiano comes around the corner and can do absolutely nothing as the section of track is blind.

trackmap.jpg

The section I am refering to is the carousel.

m.piedgros

Sorry if I came across as a bit crude, but I seem to recall that there are quite a few places at Road America where there is just the retaining wall or armco and no fence to speak of. But when you consider that the track is 4 miles long, putting fencing all the way around would would be a labor intensive and expensive proposition.
Also, the reports I read had the accident taking place on the approach to turn 6, which would be going up the hill and under the bridge.
At any rate, I really hope Shorty pulls through, but it sounds quite bad...

David Phillips
A PIVOTAL WEEKEND

Friday, August 11, 2006

By David Phillips

It’s mid-August and time for another race ‘round the Pepsi Center in the Mile High City; other wise known as the Grand Prix of Denver Presented by Bridgestone. If recent history is any indicator, this weekend will be pivotal to the outcome of the 2006 Champ Car World Series.

Two years ago, recall, Sebastien Bourdais arrived in Denver with a comfortable but hardly insurmountable lead in the Champ Car points. Thanks to wins at Monterrey, Portland, Cleveland and Toronto and a smattering of lesser podium finishes, he had amassed 213 points compared to Newman/Haas Racing teammate Bruno Junqueira’s 166, while Rocketsports’ Alex Tagliani had 153 markers. Significantly, however, Bourdais was in a bit of a slump having finished “only” fifth in Toronto and third at Road America.

And while he won the pole at Denver, a but of first turn “rubbin’” with Junqueira sent him plummeting down the order and left the Brazilian in the lead . . . the same Brazilian who had never lost a race in Denver; indeed, had lead all but a handful of laps in the first two races ‘round the Pepsi Center.

Driving like he was on mission, Bourdais stormed back through the field to take the lead with ten laps remaining and cruise to the win. Suffice to say, he never looked back the rest of the season en route to his first Vanderbilt Cup.

The circumstances may have been different last year, but the ‘05 Denver race again proved crucial to Bourdais’ title bid. After getting the season off to a fine start with a win at Long Beach, the Frenchman had struggled in May and June. No small part of his difficulties stemmed from the fact that teammate Junqueira had suffered season-ending injuries in the Indy 500 and Newman/Haas was -- if not struggling then working overtime -- adapting to life without Bruno and with the man who turned out to be his “super-sub,” Oriol Servia.

That said, Bourdais went through another fallow patch, failing to make the podium at Milwaukee, Cleveland and Toronto. Things went from bad to worse when a qualifying crash left him tenth on the grid in Edmonton. But a topsy-turvy race saw RuSPORT’s duo of A.J. Allmendinger and Justin Wilson famously squander a seemingly certain 1-2 finish, leaving Bourdais to come home a surprised winner. After utterly dominating the San Jose Grand Prix to stretch his points lead, he came to Denver looking to apply the coup de gras to the championship.

But Paul Tracy had other ideas. He took the pole position and dominated the early proceedings, while Bourdais seemed more or less resigned to limiting his losses with a second place. But on Lap 63 Tracy made an unforced error, clobbered the wall in Turn Four and retired on the spot. Bourdais cruised home to another win and, as was the case in ‘04, never looked back on the way to his second straight
Vanderbilt Cup.

Now Bourdais has another Vanderbilt Cup in his sights, seeking to join Ted Horn as the only drivers in history to win three consecutive Champ Car titles. And the Champ Car World Series is headed to Denver.

Not unlike last year, Bourdais is coming off of a dominant showing in San Jose, having won from pole and led 69 of 97 laps in the process. And as was the case in ‘04 and ‘05, he brings the points lead with him to the Mile High City, leading RuSPORT Racing’s Justin Wilson by 32 points (255 224) and A.J. Allmendinger by 45 (255 210).

In contrast to the past couple of seasons, Bourdais has not one but two drivers in hot pursuit; and from competing teams. What’s more, while Bourdais may be coming off a second straight win at San Jose, his rivals are on rolls of their own. Wilson scored his first win of the season at Edmonton, tracking down, passing and beating Bourdais in a straight fight. And Wilson is coming off a third place at San Jose that compares with Bourdais’ unexpected win in Edmonton last year. The lanky Brit started deep in the field after crashing in Saturday’s pre-qualifying practice, but methodically picked his way through the field to finish on the podium. Thus, while he only has one win to his
credit, it can fairly be said that Wilson brings a fair amount of momentum with him to Denver.

As well, there are a couple of intangibles to consider. Denver is right down the road from RuSPORT’s base of operations in Loveland, so the race will be the team’s home event. More importantly, of course, the team will be fielding just one car this weekend in the wake of Cristiano da Matta’s testing crash at Road America that left him with severe head injuries. While the team’s hearts and minds will, obviously, be with their recovering teammate this weekend, the emotional edge may well be on Wilson’s side.

Then there’s Allmendinger. Since joining Forsythe Championship Racing in June, the Californian has three wins and a third place to his credit. Indeed, but for a penalty at San Jose for pitting while the pits were closed (a penalty he and the Forsythe team disputed), he would likely have another podium finish to his credit, conceivably even a fourth win. Last year, Allmendinger drove one his best races of the season at Denver, bringing an obviously ill-handling car home in third place on a circuit that forces no mistakes. With a team he has complete confidence in, and a car likely to be much more to his liking, Allmendinger will surely make life difficult for Bourdais this weekend.

Will Wilson deliver an emotional win for da Matta and RuSPORT? Will Allmendinger’s remarkable run of success continue? Will Bourdais again use Denver as the springboard to a Champ Car title? Or will a non-championship-contending-wild card pull a surprise?

No matter which scenario unfolds, the Grand Prix of Denver Presented by Bridgestone is likely to be a pivotal race in the Champ Car World Series again this year.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10720
Get ready for Round 10! Go A.J.!

Starting lineup for the 2006 Denver GP @ Denver, CO, USA
1 | #1 | Sebastien Bourdais (FRA) | Newman/Hass Racing | 0:59.096 | 100.941 MPH
2 | #7 | A.J. Allmendinger (USA) | Forsythe Championship Racing | 0:59.350 | 100.509 MPH
3 | #9 | Justin Wilson (GBR) | RuSPORT | 0:59.878 | 99.623 MPH
4 | #3 | Paul Tracy (CAN) | Forsythe Championship Racing | 0:59.903 | 99.581 MPH
5 | #15 | Alex Tagliani (CAN) | Team Australia | 0:59.919 | 99.554 MPH
6 | #27 | Andrew Ranger (CAN) | Mi-Jack Conquest Racing | 1:00.007 | 99.408 MPH
7 | #2 | Bruno Junqueira (BRA) | Newman/Hass Racing | 1:00.029 | 99.372 MPH
8 | #6 | Oriol Servia (ESP) | PKV Racing | 1:00.096 | 99.261 MPH
9 | #19 | Mario Dominguez (MEX) | Dale Coyne Racing | 1:00.147 | 99.177 MPH
10 | #4 | Nelson Philippe (FRA) | CTE Racing - HVM | 1:00.333 | 98.871 MPH
11 | #5 | Will Power (AUS) | Team Australia | 1:00.405 | 98.753 MPH
12 | #34 | Charles Zwolsman (NED) | Mi-Jack Conquest Racing | 1:00.453 | 98.675 MPH
13 | #14 | Dan Clarke (GBR) | CTE Racing - HVM | 1:00.887 | 97.972 MPH
14 | #11 | Jan Heylen (BEL) | Dale Coyne Racing | 1:01.201 | 97.469 MPH
15 | #20 | Katherine Legge (GBR) | PKV Racing | 1:01.370 | 97.201 MPH
16 | #8 | Nicky Pastorelli (NED) | Rocketsports Racing | 1:03.472 | 93.982 MPH

Race results for the 2006 Denver GP @ Denver, CO, USA
1 | #7 | A.J. Allmendinger (USA) | Forsythe Championship Racing
2 | #2 | Bruno Junqueira (BRA) | Newman/Hass Racing
3 | #14 | Dan Clarke (GBR) | CTE Racing - HVM
4 | #5 | Will Power (AUS) | Team Australia
5 | #4 | Nelson Philippe (FRA) | CTE Racing - HVM
6 | #3 | Paul Tracy (CAN) | Forsythe Championship Racing
7 | #1 | Sebastien Bourdais (FRA) | Newman/Hass Racing
8 | #9 | Justin Wilson (GBR) | RuSPORT
9 | #20 | Katherine Legge (GBR) | PKV Racing
10 | #34 | Charles Zwolsman (NED) | Mi-Jack Conquest Racing
11 | #11 | Jan Heylen (BEL) | Dale Coyne Racing
12 | #8 | Nicky Pastorelli (NED) | Rocketsports Racing
13 | #19 | Mario Dominguez (MEX) | Dale Coyne Racing
14 | #27 | Andrew Ranger (CAN) | Mi-Jack Conquest Racing
15 | #6 | Oriol Servia (ESP) | PKV Racing
16 | #15 | Alex Tagliani (CAN) | Team Australia

A.J. wins his 4th race and moves back up to 2nd place in the points standings (32 points behind Bourdais)! :)

Bourdais and Tracy also took each other out on the last lap. Bourdais came after Tracy and shoved him. Tracy then took off his helmet to get ready to rumble, and Bourdais ran away! :lol:

Final lap of the Denver GP. Sebastien Bourdais vs Paul Tracy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZCouSpU2g

:rolleyes: Frenchmen, what do you expect, lol! Just kidding! I was in travel from Watkins to Dallas so I missed the race. My Grandpa said it was a great one though. I'm going to have to make time to watch the replay on Speed at noon on Wednesday or Thursday or whenever they're planning on playing it.

m.piedgros

Tracy! Arrggghh! Get that man out of Champ Car for a few races. For the love of god.

Meanwhile congrats to A.J. Allmendinger, Dan Clarke, and Will Power. 👍

I don't think Tracy deserves a penalty for what happened at Denver. Bourdais left the door open and Tracy tried to repass Bourdais. Tracy got loose and slid into Bourdais. Sometimes you make it. Sometimes you don't. It was just a case of 2 drivers racing hard for 2nd place.

If you ask me, Bourdais deserves a penalty for crossing a hot track, shoving Tracy, and trying to start a fight with him.

I think you're being too kind to Tracy. If he wasn't on probation, then you would have a strong argument, but that's not the case.

But I do agree that Bourdais deserves some sort of penalty.

Watch the replay. It's clearly a passing attempt. If Tracy really wanted to take out Bourdais, then he wouldn't have risked getting his own car loose.

So what? He’s on probation. That means he’s not supposed to be a dick.

I have a question (I am watching the race again)...

This is part of the statement from Forsythe Racing:

We eagerly await the penalty that we believe should be handed to Sebastien Bourdais for his part in the incident, including running across a "hot" track and initiating physical contact with our driver."

As I said before, I believe Bourdais should receive a penalty. However, Forsythe used the word "including." Now my question, what else should he be punished for? He gave enough room to pass and Tracy got loose. What's up with "including?"

Last year, Bourdais took out Tracy at Monterrey and Las Vegas. This year, Bourdais took out Tagliani at Edmonton. And you know what just happened at Denver. Bourdais also has brake checked the field on numerous starts and restarts (example: San Jose GP start).

He has gotten away with way too much crap. Champ Car must fine Bourdais and take away 7 points. Champ Car must enforce their rules consistently and fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back