2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bourdais may be a 3-time CCWS Champion, but he is very unsportsmanlike. I have yet to see him take responsibility for the accidents he's caused. And who has he really beaten? The only drivers capable of challenging Bourdais for this year's championship were Allmendinger and Wilson. Unfortunately, today's CCWS is nowhere near as challenging as the CART IndyCar World Series.

Very good point. But the equipment, though equal to the stuff drivers like Zanardi, JPM, Mark Blundel, Mauricio Guzzleman(sp.?) and the like used the equipment is aged, the quality of schedule is worse yadda, yadda, yadda. The problem with comparing any "modern" Champ Car driver even to PPG, or Fed-Ex CART Champ Car World Series drivers of the mid-90's is that open-wheel racing in North America overall, for the most part is a substandard product. In the 1990's and earlier the cars were at the pinnacle of the racing world, today they are aged beasts. Considering what Sebastian is doing, and can do with a race car, Daytona Prototype, LMP, GT2 and Champ Car, I'd say he is easily comparable to any of the best drivers open-wheel racing has seen in North America, or around the world.

m.piedgros

Off-topic: Have you seen the new Indy Car schedule? Other than it's stupid time span it really makes you think what the heck was the idea behind separation in the first place. Bottom line, the sport does need to be reunified and egos on both sides are holding is back from that. The result of which is a corrupted American racing fan, and series champions who claim to be at the top of the North American open-wheel racing ranks and really aren't. Unfortunately, I'm doubting more and more the possibility of reunification even in my lifetime, and I'm 16!

So, who is left in Champ Car worth cheering for? PT, I don't know the guy is clearly the "villan" in the series. Little Rahal? Well, until he heads to Europe to go after his F1 dream. Flowing Locks of Hair? I just don't know who is worthy of my support in Champ Car.

Let's start a Jimmy Vasser is returning rumor and maybe if we are lucky he'll cave and come back!

I like champ cars. They look much better than the European F1 cars. That Belgian (Heylen) doesn't perform that well.

I am very pleased to hear that. I hope that we'll be getting the usual ESPN suspects, Dr. Jerry Punch etc. I've just been on the IRL's website and they seem to think that ABC/ESPN are still covering their events. I assume that must be the case. Strange that they are taking up both series. Now it's time to start flying the black helicopters as this could be interpreted as a sign of reunification becoming ever closer.

Very excited (about being back on ABC/ESPN),

SPEEDtv.com
Champ Car World Series officials have announced today a series of rules changes to be introduced in the 2007 season, when the new Panoz DP01 chassis will make its debut.

Chief among the novelties is the introduction of standing starts “at venues where [they] can be accommodated in a safe manner.” The procedure will mimic Formula 1, with the cars departing once a series of red lights go out, and is expected to be used for the first time at the season-opening race in downtown Las Vegas, which yesterday announced title sponsorship from Visa as part of a multi-year, multi-city partnership, and has been officially titled the "Vegas Grand Prix Fueled by Visa."

“Unlike Formula 1 where they have traction or launch control, the success of the standing starts in Champ Car will be up to the skill of the individual drivers,” said VP of operations Tony Cotman. “We will do the standing starts wherever the configuration of the track allows us to do so in a safe manner.”

The rules on tire usage during a weekend have also been changed. Whereas previously a team could only use four sets of tires during any qualifying session, now the squads have unlimited use of their weekend allotment during a session, as long as one of its sets of “option”, softer tires are used on race day.

The use of spare cars has been changed as well. Teams now have the sole discretion to use their backup cars, but can only use one car in any practice or qualifying session. In addition, going to a spare car after the primary car has been qualified will result in the forfeiture of the qualifying time for that entry, meaning that a change after warmup on race day will result in that entry starting from the rear of the field.

Finally, all races will be timed as opposed to featuring a given number of laps. As the elapsed time of the race approaches, a signal indicating one lap to go will be displayed to the field, with the race ending upon the next time the leader crosses the start/finish line. The white flag will no longer be shown from the starter’s stand and will be used more in line with international FIA guidelines around the course, which recommend it to be used to signal a slow-moving car or emergency vehicle on the track.

“As Champ Car grows into more of an international series and with the majority of our driver lineup coming from international road-course backgrounds, we want to update our flagging procedures in kind,” Cotman added. “Not only will it be easier for our drivers to understand, but it will keep us from having to re-educate our course marshals when we conduct international events.”

What do you guys think? Maybe I am afraid of change (very likely) but; with all the changes to Champ Car, I am getting the impression they are becoming more worried about their comparison to Formula 1 as opposed to IRL. In my opinion Champ Car, IRL or whatever open-wheel racing series in America we will see in the future shouldn't be Formula 1 America, it should be a distinct style of open-wheel entirely. That is what made it Formula 1's proving grounds in the late nineties and in the late eighties and early nineties is what put it alongside, if not above Formula 1 in terms of racing quality. But alas, that is only my opinion, what do you guys think?

Cheers,

I like it, but then I’m an F1 nut. I still don’t know what’s happening with Champ Car coverage in Australia in 2007. :scared:

INDIANAPOLIS (December 18, 2006) - The lights were turned up even higher on what is already a bright future for the Champ Car World Series Monday when Paul Stoddart announced that he had purchased a controlling interest in the Indianapolis-based CTE Racing - HVM Champ Car team.

Stoddart comes to the U.S.-based Champ Car World Series after five seasons as the owner of the Minardi Formula 1 team, which enjoyed a 21-year F1 run from 1985-2005. The Australian-born Stoddart will run a multi-car Champ Car team, along with current CTE Racing - HVM owner Keith Wiggins, from the team's existing headquarters on Indianapolis' fabled Gasoline Alley.

"After taking a year off from motor racing following the sale of Minardi, we've had a chance to consider our options and examine how we might want to be involved with the sport in the future," says Stoddart. "After a lot of deliberation, we've come to the conclusion that Champ Car, with its blend of highly competitive, cost-effective racing and relatively level 'playing field', offers easily the best way forward."

"This is an exciting progression for our company, which will allow us to take it to the next level" added Wiggins. "It puts together all the elements we have established at HVM, continues the progress with the CTE program and adds the resources and talent that Minardi brings. The chemistry between Paul and I is extremely good and I am looking forward to the stable long-term future."

The newly-christened Minardi Team USA is coming off of a resurgent campaign in 2006 in which Nelson Philippe finish fourth in the series points, a high-water mark for the team even dating back to its years as Bettenhausen Racing. The announcement comes two days before the team, along with the rest of the Champ Car World Series, will take delivery of their first Panoz DP01 Champ Cars.

"The addition of an owner with a proven racing background like Paul Stoddart only strengthens the series," said Champ Car President Steve Johnson. "Combining his experience and resources with a team that showed last year that it can win races, provides even more reason to be excited about Champ Car's future."

Information concerning the formation of Minardi Team USA, including drivers and sponsors, will be released in the coming weeks as the team prepares for the first open test of the 2007 season, which takes place January 23-25 in Sebring, Florida.

Apparently it has been confirmed.

Jonerz

Champ Car Teams Take First Delivery Of New Panoz DP01 Champ Cars :D
20061220P_0001.jpg

20061220P_0003.jpg

Zolder and Assen confirmed for CCWS Schedule:​

SPEEDTV.com
Champ Car officials confirmed today that the two long-rumored European races at Assen in Holland and Zolder in Belgium have been added to the Champ Car World Series’ 2007 calendar.

The European loop will take place between September 2 (Assen) and September 9 (Zolder), marking a return to the continent for the first time since 2003, when the CCWS raced in London and the Lausitzring in Germany. It will be the first time Champ Car races both in Holland and Belgium.

“We considered a number of options for our return to Europe and these two events will prove to be very successful for our teams, fans and sponsor partners,” Champ Car president Steve Johnson expects.

Assen is better-known for hosting a round of the MotoGP world championship, while Zolder was a Formula 1 venue in the 1970s and 80s – it was at the Belgian circuit that the legendary Gilles Villeneuve lost his life in 1982. The Dutch track is undergoing an extensive renovation to be suitable for Champ Cars.

“We are excited to bring the American equivalent of Formula 1 racing to Europe,” Zolder promoter Bart Rietbergen stated. “Champ Car provides close racing that is easy for European fans to understand, and they will be very impressed with the access that they will have in the Champ Car paddock.”

The addition of the two European events brings the number of races on the 2007 Champ Car schedule to 17, the most races on a Champ Car calendar since 2003.

The series is truly growing internationally now.

m.piedgros

EDIT: Santa forgot to deliver a Panoz DP01 to me. :(

Bad news...
Ford Ends Champ Car Association
Written by: Robin Miller Dearborn, Mich. – 1/24/2007

Champ Car lost three more words from its official logo but, more importantly, a major ally on Wednesday when Ford Motor Company announced its withdrawal from participation in the series.

Aligned with CART and Champ Car for the past three decades, Ford had been a presenting sponsor, official vehicle and source of power for much of its association. In 2003, after Honda and Toyota bolted for the Indy Racing League, Ford came to the rescue and its Cosworth became the sole engine supplier for the open wheel series.

The past three years the series had been called “Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series powered by Ford” with Ford fielding cars for the pace car team, as well as courtesy vehicles for the Champ Car staff and other associate sponsorships. In addition, Ford of Mexico and Ford of Canada had served as title sponsors for races in those countries.

But, with Champ Car opting to drop the pace car program in favor of Minardi boss Paul Stoddart’s two-seat Formula 1 cars, Ford decided it was time to move on.

“We were surprised they chose to torpedo the pace car program and even more surprised they decided to go with the F1 two-seaters,” said Dan Davis, director of racing for Ford. “And we’re not leaving on bad terms, it’s just that Champ Car doesn’t align with our current business objectives.

“We’re not bitter, just very disappointed.”

The pace car program had been a staple of Champ Car since 1982, when the late Jim Chapman introduced a way for series sponsor PPG Industries to bring customers closer to the action.

It’s believed Ford had offered to increase its support and involvement this season, most notably in taking over the pace car program and expanding the on-track activities for its customers and dealers with the Hot Lap Program.

“Today’s decision was made from a business standpoint on both sides and in no way should tarnish the long legacy of success that the Ford Motor Company has established in Champ Car competition,” Champ Car President Steve Johnson said in a prepared statement. “We thank Ford for what it has done for the series, but we are continuing building a bright future for the series and are exploring a number of other options for a manufacturer partner.”

Champ Car is thought to be talking with Hyundai, Cadillac and Mazda about replacing Ford.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/34990/

More bad news...
CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES POSTPONES DENVER EVENT

The Champ Car World Series today announced the postponement of this season's Denver Grand Prix, which was to be run on August 15.

The event, which has run for the last five seasons around the Pepsi Center in downtown Denver, will be removed from the 2007 calendar due to concerns over time conflicts with the facilities surrounding the temporary street course. Efforts to find a replacement date that accommodated the Pepsi Center and Champ Car, as well as the University of Colorado Auraria Campus that borders the track layout, were unable to find a suitable date that fit unto the series' race schedule. In addition, Denver's status as the host city for the Democratic National Convention in 2008 will force Champ Car to keep the event off of the '08 calendar as well.

"The strong attendance numbers, the backing the event received from the corporate sector as well as the city and county government, and the support of the people of Denver have shown that a Champ Car event can flourish there," said Champ Car President Steve Johnson. "Champ Car has made a major investment in building this event over the last five years. We are committed to making every effort to returning to the Mile High City as soon as a viable replacement date can be found."

The postponement reduces to 16 the number of events on the 2007 Champ Car World Series schedule, the largest number of races on the Champ Car calendar since the 2003 season.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11243

I can't wait for the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford event at Denver! Oh... wait... I see myself slowly converting to the evil empire that is the IRL. Sustainability in both leagues seems questionable at best, but this is ridiculous. As far as the engine supporter goes I'd like to see a field of Hyundai Cosworths out there... not. Why, why, why, why, why?! For all the great news we had relating to Champ Car this past season and into the off-season, we seem to have a ton of horrible news showing up right in the midst of the count-down to green for the '07 season. I am desperate for unification, even if it means King George rules the series, there are more ovals than road courses, and it is called the IRL. So long as the Indy Car name returns to its status from the nineties (if not pre-94 a.k.a. the glory days.) I'd love to see the Indianapolis 500 actually mean something before I die. I was alive for the good Indy's but 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 years old I didn't comprehend it's importance or take them in as I would have liked to looking back. I've said it before, but a series with competing chassis, engine, and tire suppliers with proper road courses (like Elkhart, Mid-Ohio, Portland) as well as the ovals (INDY! Texas, Milwaukee!!) and the street courses (Cleveland, Long Beach, St. Pete, Toronto) would be the truest test of driver, team, and machine. I don't want to see Chassis, engine, (not really tire... Bridgestone-Firestone) competing against each other in two different leagues!!! The IRL appears to be closest to what I want but my allegiance to CART and subsequently Champ Car is too strong. Dang. I am desperate for re-unification.

m.piedgros

Im planning to head to Long Beach Grand Prix....I think its best street race in world (besides the Monaco I guess). Im excited about the new cars....Paul Tracy is my favorite driver now....since A.J A. went to Nascar....oh BTW I live in Long Beach hahahah B)

Sobering commentary from Robin Miller.
MILLER: Silence Not Necessarily Golden
Written by: Robin Miller
Indianapolis, Ind. – 2/25/2007

The silence from the Champ Car office in Indianapolis isn't just deafening, it's in surround sound.

Six weeks before its season opener in Las Vegas, the series supposedly in its year of momentum is awash in questions, rumors and a serious lack of urgency, information, organization and cars.

Forget the fact only eight drivers have been confirmed for 2007, because there are more serious concerns that nobody wants to discuss.

Car count is the most critical area.

Gerald Forsythe, who co-owns the series with Kevin Kalkhoven, has vowed to run only one car this season for Paul Tracy.

RuSport, whose founder Carl Russo has sold/leased his team to Dan Pettit, maintains it hasn't given up on two cars but last week told its mechanics there was a distinct possibility of cutting back to one.

Rocketsports appears to be a one-car effort at this time, and there's even speculation that RuSport will share technical information with Paul Gentilozzi's outfit and eventually might move under one roof in Lansing, Mich.

With MiJack owner Mike Lanigan leaving longtime partner Eric Bachelart, Conquest Racing is scrambling to muster the money for one car.

If these four teams only run one car, and Newman/Haas (who still hasn't officially announced Graham Rahal), Minardi USA, Dale Coyne, Pacific Coast, PKV and Team Australia field their usual complement of two cars, that totals 16.

Or eight shy of Kalkhoven's ceiling (he said last year that no more than 24 cars would be allowed to compete) and two short of the usual grid.

As it stands today, 25 new DP01 chassis have been shipped and the Panoz people reportedly have been told to cease building because there are no more orders coming in. If there were the normal 18 cars and each had one backup, that's 36, so obviously some teams don't have a backup car.

Of course, that's because few have any seven-figure sponsors. The new car might be cheaper, but you've still got to have some cash to buy it.

Now, Kalkhoven and Forsythe swear they're not going to prop up other teams like they've done in the past, but there are some extenuating circumstances which could, or should, get the starting lineup to at least 18.

First off, Forsythe is evidently unhappy that his marketing man has yet to find a sponsor in the past three years and has threatened not to run a second car unless it's funded.

But the loyal car owner from Chicago is going be a lot more upset if Tracy doesn't contend for the championship and/or race wins and, without a good teammate, the Canadian veteran virtually has no chance against Newman/Haas. Ditto for Wilson, last year's runner-up, who could be saved by a clause in his contract (or sponsor CDW's contract) that calls for two cars and/or a teammate.

As for the drivers, we know three-time champ Sebastien Bourdais, Justin Wilson, Will Power, Tracy and rookies Neel Jani, Alex Figge, Ryan Dalziel and Simon Pagenaud have seats. We figure Alex Tagliani and young Rahal are all but confirmed, and we assume Katherine Legge will be in one of Coyne's cars and Nelson Philippe will be with somebody.

Oriol Servia and Bruno Junqueira tested well and figure to be in the frame, and it's hard to imagine having a race in Mexico City without Mario Dominguez. Sadly, Andrew Ranger may vanish like Ryan Hunter-Reay, and it's pretty obvious that Champ Car understands nothing about continuity.

The ever-changing driver lineup and lack of Americans is why it's so hard to follow, or care, about Champ Car.

On the business side, all the crowing about a title sponsor for the season opener in Las Vegas has stopped because evidently the deal has come apart.

At the press conference, it was dubbed "The Las Vegas Grand Prix Fueled By VISA" and carried that moniker on the website until a couple weeks ago. Now it's simply the Vegas Grand Prix. No mention of VISA.

And one must wonder if this loss could impact the season finale at Phoenix, which shares the same promoters.

The general lack of information about cars, drivers and races falls in line with Champ Car's overall lack of leadership and communication. The SCCA-flavored front office is clueless about marketing, promoting and public relations -- not to mention open-wheel racing.

Hirings and firings are totally irrational, just like dumping the pace-car program, losing Ford as an ally, running China during May, taking advice from Gentilozzi, sticking with terrible television production partners and having one race a month from October through December.

What appeared to be a breath of fresh air a few years ago now has that same old, stale taste and reinforces the theory that car owners cannot competently run a series. Especially when one is in California, one is in the midwest and their point man (Steve Johnson) still lives in Kansas and makes it into the office at least four days a month.

Champ Car appeared to have some momentum last summer, but it's evaporated into this amatuerish guessing game that sets them further behind the Indy Racing League.

Kalkhoven and Forsythe have spent a lot of money keeping Cosworth, Long Beach, Toronto and the series going, plus they spend a bundle to be on national television. It's big money, and nobody can knock their commitment. But, instead of cutting corners and making bad decisions during these past few months, they should have been locked and loaded on keeping stability in the ranks, bolstering the staff with smart hires and promoting the product -- damn the cost.

But maybe it's become too expensive, even for guys with their wealth. Or maybe they've simply lost interest. Maybe this would be a good time to cut a deal and cut their losses.

Call Tony George, sell him your assets and save money, if not open-wheel racing.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/35621/

Robin couldn't be anymore right. As big of a joke as the publicly owned CART group was in the early new millennium, I wish we could take a mulligan - go back to 2001 or 2002 and change somethings for Champ Car/CART's future. Firstly, give Chris Pook the reigns and let him run the series as the big man. Keep all the non-team related suits aboard and let someone with half a brain do the necessary "work force management" or whatever they call it these days. I wanna say, getting rid of the useless, and hiring someone on more than a whim. If this had all been done Champ Car or CART or whatever they want to call it, would be in much better shape and wouldn't be lacking behind the IRL of all series! There really is no future with these series separate. Unlike with Grand-Am and ALMS who provide two distinctly different products, the unfortunate truth with IRL and Champ Car is, is they are essentially the same thing. With the team swapping, battling over naming rights and such I can't see anything flourish. The American public had NASCAR to turn to this time and are going to stay there because to the average American the Daytona 500 means a lot more than the Indianapolis 500, which is more than unfortunate. I'd like to see a break-down of each front office, to see which series is more like the old CART, before I decide which series I'll support now. I have reason to believe that the IRL are doing things right, and if it's with a bunch of relative newbies, I won't know what to think. Scratch that, not right. Better than Champ Car. I think that is becoming more obvious (no thanks to King George, I'll always hate him, like all of his big teams probably do... unless you consider A.J. Foyt one of their big teams... but I digress) and I don't have the patience for this. We need to reunite these series or do some serious cleaning up with Champ Car.

m.piedgros

I seem to remember that 8 months ago IRL was the one with no future for 2007, right? No engine deal, etc. What a turnaround…

The only hope I see in all of this is the IRL still don't have a new chassis (though both Dallara and Panoz are both still "partners" with the series. Which I find funny because Panoz are supplying chassis to the enemy). Apparently they are looking for new chassis, rumors of a front-engine chassis, talk about taking a step back...

The hope there being; maybe someone or some people in the IRL organization aren't going big on the new chassis deal as an attempt to keep a merger within sight. Remember last year the idea was Honda 2.65L V8 Power, with the Panoz DP01, IRL ovals (Indy 500 obviously), mainly Champ Car schedule and a 50-50 ownership from the Champ Car and IRL groups (isn't the IRL group just King George?). So perhaps this is a pipe dream. One of those conspiracy theories... I may as well just be spouting my mouth off about the Moon landing of JFK assassination. If I can go ahead and state the obvious one more time, with hopes that Kevin K. and Tony G. come across this website, read this very post and take just one thing away from it: OPEN WHEEL RACING IN AMERICA IS BETTER OFF DEAD WITHOUT UNIFICATION!!!

#^$@&* #^$@&*^#@*&#^$*& @&# @#%$&@% $#!!!!!!!

m.piedgros

Apparently they are looking for new chassis, rumors of a front-engine chassis, talk about taking a step back...

Are you kidding? Wow, that is ridiculous… :eek: Have you got a link to some article about that?

Yeah. I've heard similar rumors, and on the IRL website they have an option to paint up cars in fantasy liveries. One of the options (alongside Dallara Oval, Dallara Road Course and team rig) being a car of the future thing. It looks like a Dallara and one of the old Indy Roadsters had a love child.

Apparently some deep inside not just the IRL camp but the Tony George camp like the return of the Indy Roadsters because... well same reason Chevrolet made the SSR. [SARCASM] No - its not a legitimate retro car, and no its not the most sensible idea, but it hearkens back to the 50's and we all know things aren't as good as they used to be so... well that's reason enough. [/SARCASM] I would think Tony George et al had gone completely AWOL from reality if they paid Panoz or Dallara or whoever to build them a "new" Indy Roadster. I'm not sure what it is about the idea I don't like. I just don't like it.

Jeers (to that idea),

Some good news for a change...
CHAMP CAR'S SEBASTIEN BOURDAIS BREAKS TRACK RECORD SET BY FORMULA 1 CAR AT MAZDA RACEWAY LAGUNA SECA

20070310P_0002.jpg

MONTEREY, Calif. (March 10, 2007) - The Champ Car World Series is known around the world as the American interpretation of Formula 1-style racing, but today a Champ Car driver in the brand-new Panoz DP01 chassis raised the bar on anything a F1 car had ever done at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

Three-time and defending Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais (#1 McDonald's Cosworth/Panoz/Bridgestone) demolished the existing track record at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with 10 minutes left in today's final test session, with his time of 1:05.880 (122.295 mph) breaking the mark set in 2006 by Ricardo Zonta in the Toyota F1 machine when it came over to turn some laps as part of the Monterey Historics Festival.

Bourdais not only broke the record but became the first driver ever to run a lap around the fabled California layout in less than 66 seconds. For his efforts, Bourdais and his Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing squad were awarded $5,000 by Champ Car for breaking the F1 record.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11322
Sebastien may be an arrogant whiner, but at least he's our arrogant whiner. :lol:

As for Toyota F1... They spend $400 million just to get smoked by a team that spends only a few million dollars? :lol:

I prefer the Rear Engine Concept by IndyCar.com.
indycar_temp.jpg

But the IndyCar Series should adopt Champ Car's Panoz DP01. That would a big step towards a reunited 2008 IndyCar World Series.

It's been well proven that with modern materials and development, so long as the engine is between the axles it doesn't matter anymore.

Seriously, the big gain with the rear-mid engine layout these days is in reducing frontal area. A front-mid engine layout (like many manufacturers, from Ferrari and Panoz to Dodge and Nissan have adopted) can be just as successful from a chassis standpoint.

Though, quite honestly, if I were to build a front-engine Indy car, it'd end up looking something like this save with a more enclosed powertrain.....

st-15.jpg

august-3.jpg

nov-19.jpg

Or for a more classic look.....
august-17.jpg

Dec-9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back